hel me 4 my homework plz!!

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:59 pm
And I'm saying this website we all spend so much time on ADVERTISES itself primarily as a knowledge help site. Figuring out the psychological behavior of one who asks a homework question may amuse you, but is out of whack with this site's primary effort.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:05 pm
This isn't amusing me at all osso....

the fact that a person on the quest for knowledge chooses to have answers handed to her rather than take the advice of people in HOW to find it on their own is absolutely appalling.

Are we going to hand her a fish, or teach her how to cast her line into deeper waters?

Knowledge gained through effort is so much sweeter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:15 pm
I know that, that's why I said what I did about helping people google. I don't really care about your motive for making fun/complaining about a homework questioner; it is rude when we advertise that we help.

As I said, I used to be dismissive too, until someone here pointed out a2k's raison d'etre.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:03 pm
I've always been a little uncomfortable about the title of the Forums page:
"Ask an Expert - Ask Questions, Get Answers".

Oh yeah, you'll get answers all right.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:09 pm
George wrote:
I've always been a little uncomfortable about the title of the Forums page:
"Ask an Expert - Ask Questions, Get Answers".

Oh yeah, you'll get answers all right.

Ditto.

How was that name picked anyway?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:12 pm
Osso's totally right that the intent of this site is knowledge exchange. Craven has said so many times. The community aspect is an offshoot, not the purpose.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:16 pm
sozobe wrote:
Osso's totally right that the intent of this site is knowledge exchange. Craven has said so many times. The community aspect is an offshoot, not the purpose.

Not that that doesn't happen, the late great 'KO being the prime exemplar.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:19 pm
Oh, it happens a ton. You deserve some kind of an award for your work on Latin translations, for example.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:21 pm
sozobe wrote:
Oh, it happens a ton. You deserve some kind of an award for your work on Latin translations, for example.

I'm just happy to know that my work is bouncing along on someone's butt somewhere.
0 Replies

cutekatie15

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:58 pm
ok im sorry chai but i am a homeschooler and i know how 2 look stuff up that is how i found this site. i only asked people that will help me if you wont then why even bother? i can look things up im not dumb all i asked for was help...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:17 pm
cutekatie15 wrote:
ok im sorry chai but i am a homeschooler and i know how 2 look stuff up that is how i found this site. i only asked people that will help me if you wont then why even bother? i can look things up im not dumb all i asked for was help...

Cutekatie, asking for help does not mean having someone just giving you the answer. Otherwise, what did you learn.

This is homework for you, when you ask a question, the purpose of it is to obtain tools to help YOU find the answer.

Here, the tools that people gave you were to try using Google and other things, like encyclopedias.

You yourself said you were going to research it yourself. You knew that meant seeking, reading about, and separating the fact you wanted from everything you read.

I know you learned a lot more about volcanos than if someone here had just given you 3 names.

Osso was saying she didn't care about my motive, which was to persuade you to use your fine brain.

I personally do feel we "helped" you, that is, if you've found your answers by now
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:26 pm
Cutekatie--

You're more likely to get a sympathetic hearing from strange (in both senses) adults if you use standard spelling and punctuation.
0 Replies

cutekatie15

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:33 pm
i have and thank you i do know what you are trying to get across to me i have gotten the message. The essay i am writing isn't about those three volcanoes it is about what i know on volcanoes. I was simply asking for help or any web links not the direct answer.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:37 pm
good on you Katie. Now go to the bottom of theis thread turn off email updates and hop into the project/assignment.

I think its pretty smart of you to use Able2know as a resource to help you find the answers you need.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:45 pm
Craven on this in a thread Titled "Information for homework on Turkey" -

Welcome to A2K, brace yourself. Round here people seem to think homework means they get to insult you (instead of just helping in a way that is ethical).

[URL=http://www.business-with-turkey.com/to ...
0 Replies

cutekatie15

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:48 pm
thank you i do know what chai is trying to say but i agree i need to look it up but what she failed to know is that i am going to look it up you cant simply write an essay only using the names of three volcanoes.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:30 pm
I'm glad you know that cutiekate.

Sometimes, when I want to ask someone for help, I'll mention what I've already done to try to get the answer. That way, they'll know I've been trying.

You sound like a smart young lady.

Now do what dadpad says, and get to work! :wink:
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 06:38 pm
kickycan wrote:
Do you really think it's a good idea to just give answers to someone like that?
Don't you think they should do their homework themselves?

Probably some folks think thay shud
and
other folks think thay shud not.
David
0 Replies