hel me 4 my homework plz!!

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:12 pm
what are some recent volcanic eruptions (three if possible)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,431 • Replies: 57
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:19 pm
I am afraid, you'll have to do your homework all alone cutie, but
I'll give you a hint: google could be your friend!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:21 pm
Always glad to help someone do their homework.

1. Cracatoa, East of Java (Note correct spelling!) April 1st 2006
2. Mount Vesubius, Italy. July 27 1999
3. Mount Edna, also in Italy. Feb 1st 1995.

I suggest you check these by using a search engine, and possibly a library.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:23 pm
Don't forget Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines in 1991.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:03 pm
Do you really think it's a good idea to just give answers to someone like that? Don't you think they should do their homework themselves?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:17 pm
(showing my age)
kids these days have it made.
they have 24-7 access to all the answers.

i think i would've enjoyed my high school experience a hell of a lot more if i'd had a 'puter...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:23 pm
kickycan wrote:
Do you really think it's a good idea to just give answers to someone like that? Don't you think they should do their homework themselves?

I agree, not for something as simple as this.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:34 pm
I'm on the fence with this stuff. On one hand, she has no idea if she was just given a load of bull and should verify it for herself. On the other hand, getting the verification means she could have done it herself anyway. If she takes the answers as provided and they're wrong, then it's her own problem. If they're right, then she's now knows of four recent volcanic eruptions -- mission accomplished!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:02 pm
she learned what she needed to know.

What she didn't learn is more important, or maybe she did because there is an error in contrex's answer. A glaring error!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:07 pm
PoPoPatakettle--About 1983

Mt Egregius- About 1978

Mt Sont Ellen-Somehwere around 2003.
Contrex and I are the o0nly two seemingly trying to help this child. Its in that spirit that Ive added my contribution. I hope that everyone knows that I always have time to give free answers to lazy students.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:19 pm
Great resource sit for Volcanoes
AMAZING photos
SwissEduc
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:33 pm
farmerman wrote:
PoPoPatakettle--About 1983

Mt Egregius- About 1978

Mt Sont Ellen-Somehwere around 2003.

Contrex and I are the o0nly two seemingly trying to help this child. Its in that spirit that Ive added my contribution. I hope that everyone knows that I always have time to give free answers to lazy students.

I salute you for your generous spirit.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:34 pm
kickycan wrote:

What makes your comment even funnier is that you'll never know why your comment is funny.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:42 pm
It was just a question. Get over yourself.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 01:48 am
kickycan wrote:
It was just a question. Get over yourself.

Study the answer that I gave the original questioner. Carefully. Maybe you'll find our views are not so far apart.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:41 am
Eusebius and aunt Edna had a cacatoes?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:50 am
cutekatie, I strongly suggest that you follow the good advice you've gotten here and DOUBLE-CHECK each and every answer you've been given. If you don't, you won't do well on your assignment.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:06 am
dadpad wrote:
she learned what she needed to know.

What she didn't learn is more important, or maybe she did because there is an error in contrex's answer. A glaring error!

Well done! You noticed I deliberately mis-spelled "Besubius".
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:28 am
JPB wrote:
I'm on the fence with this stuff. On one hand, she has no idea if she was just given a load of bull and should verify it for herself. On the other hand, getting the verification means she could have done it herself anyway. If she takes the answers as provided and they're wrong, then it's her own problem. If they're right, then she's now knows of four recent volcanic eruptions -- mission accomplished!

I know what you mean. I think you have to ask yourself, "What is this assignment designed to achieve?" In my days at school, computers weighed several tons and cost millions of pounds. The intention of the teacher, I would guess, is that the student should go to the school library, think about and/or find out where she is most likely to find out about volcanoes. (Hint: it was the geography teacher who set the asignment).

So she goes to the catalogue ("catalog"), and finds out where in the stacks the geography books are. Maybe she even narrows it down a bit. Geology. Maybe she even looks up "Volcanoes". Then she goes to the stacks, takes down a book or two, and discovers the required information. Following this, she writes it up. Along the way, she has found out about the Dewey Decimal Classification, use of library facilities, what an index in a book is for, etc, and practised various skills and procedures to do with "how to find out stuff".

Giving her a potted answer would not build those skills any more than doing somebody's calisthenics for them would build their muscles.

Of course, these days, people have the Internet, and it is possible to take shortcuts. An astute teacher will be aware of the lazier students in the class, and may well smell something fishy if they start turning in surprisingly good assignments.

On the other hand, if somebody asks, "Help me to find the length of a side of a right-angled triangle", it may not do any harm to remind them of Pythagoras' theorem, without, of course, doing the calculation for them.

I think a lot of these "Help me with my homework" type questions are asked at the last minute, with deadlines looming, by students who have not done a stroke of work, who have left it to the last minute, who often have not even the gumption to cheat in the traditional ways (ask a friend, bribe a more studious classmate etc)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 05:05 am
Quote:
In his new book, The Homework Myth, former teacher Alfie Kohn argues that the reasons given for homework - higher academic achievement, increased self-discipline and sense of responsibility - are generally not substantiated by research.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/in-depth/homework-ate-my-life/2007/03/17/1173722762362.html

Quote:
Latest research at RMIT University backs the latter view. Jacinta Cashen has just completed her master's degree on homework in primary schools at RMIT. She analysed previous research, and conducted a small-scale study at an inner-Melbourne school.

Ms Cashen says there is no conclusive evidence that homework leads to higher academic results, or that encouraging children to study at a young age leads to good study habits in senior years.

Homework Bound, The Age Newspaper.
0 Replies