Gonzales must resign now. "Mistakes were made."

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 08:17 am
Live on cspan.org, you can hear Specter rip hip a new one.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 08:34 am
Gonzales 'believes' 'doesn't believe' 'doesn't remember' every question.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 08:44 am
what cspan channel is this on...I can't find it

got it
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 09:12 am
I'm listening via web. My coworkers wonder why I keep giggling.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 09:18 am
Me too. Ain't the internet great?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:36 pm
Find c-span3 on the web, which is providing the hearings.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:46 pm
CSPAN-3 Online

I love Feinstein! Very Happy
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:53 pm
GOP Senator: Resign, let's put this behind us Michael Roston
Published: Thursday April 19, 2007

In the afternoon session of the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing with Alberto Gonzales, a Republican Senator called on the Attorney General to resign.

"It was handled incompetently, the communication was atrocious. It was inconsistent. It's generous to say that there was misstatements, that's a generous statement," said Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK). "And I believe you ought to suffer the consequences that these others have suffered, and I believe the best way to put this behind us is your resignation."
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Senator_You_dont_seem_to_be_0419.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:50 pm
I think Leahy tossed back a few while he was at lunch. He sounds like a babbling drunk just now. He was way more lucid this morning.

Laughing In the background, some people are singing goodbye to Gonzales.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:54 pm
Yeah, I love hearing what they say when they forget the mics are still on.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:56 pm
sully this entire administration and taint their miserable legacy to a point where it can never be reparied. It's exactly what they deserve.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 04:16 am
Cute headline from Millbank...
Quote:
Maybe Gonzales Won't Recall His Painful Day on the Hill

From the piece, including some of the more damaging quotes from republicans present...
Quote:
The hearing was billed as Gonzales's chance to explain the contradictions, omissions and falsehoods in his response to the firings. But instead of contrition, the attorney general treated the committee to a mixture of arrogance, combativeness and amnesia. Even his would-be defenders on the Republican side were appalled.

"Mr. Attorney General, most of this is a stretch," said Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.).

"Why is your story changing?" demanded Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa).

"Significantly, if not totally, at variance with the facts," said Arlen Specter (Pa.), the committee's ranking Republican.

"Really deplorable," said John Cornyn (R-Tex.). After this blow, from an administration loyalist and an old Texas friend, Gonzales stuttered in his reply.

Gonzales had weeks to prepare for yesterday's hearing. But the man who sat at the witness table sounded like the sort of person who forgets where he parked his car.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/19/AR2007041902571.html?hpid=topnews
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:14 am
He struck me as the typical Bush appointee, a person who puts his loyalty to the president and to the Republican party over loyalty to the American public. It was pretty clear that he did not adhere to promises of nonpartisanship he made while being confirmed in 2005.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:01 am
Do you think Republicans railing on Gonzales yesterday was actually due to their being fed up and disgusted? Or, do you think Bush gave them the go ahead so Gonzales would resign and Bush wouldn't have to fire him?

Where do you think Bush stands on all of this?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:59 am
squinney wrote:
Do you think Republicans railing on Gonzales yesterday was actually due to their being fed up and disgusted? Or, do you think Bush gave them the go ahead so Gonzales would resign and Bush wouldn't have to fire him?

Where do you think Bush stands on all of this?

A lot of this is pretty opague. One would love to know all of the communications between the administration people and Specter's office over the last four years.

My guess is that the center no longer holds...the WH no longer wields the sort of absolute control over Republicans in the Senate and House which they previously held. That is because Bush's reign is almost done and elections for these folks in 2008 are upcoming, and because they understand (likely better than us, in some cases) just how extreme this administration actually is and how in opposition it is to many previously held principles of both American governance and Republican governance. Or, simply, they aren't in line any longer for matters of both pragmatism and principle. One bit of evidence to suggest all of this is that the republicans on this committe who are so evidently unhappy are folks who have come up through the judicial system themselves. Clearly, they give a damn.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:03 am
(1) incompetent
(2) corrupt
(3) stupid
(4) all of the above
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:18 am
My sincere wish is a dem presidency in 2008 followed by the appointment of Fitzgerald to the AG post.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:45 am
Glenn Greenwald is becoming one of my favorite american political writers. Is this not acute in observation?
Quote:
(1) Although Gonzales began with a combative tone, he quickly abandoned it, because it is not his natural approach. He has neither the instincts nor the abilities to engage in a full day of verbal combat with anyone. He is far more comfortable with highly practiced, slippery, evasive buzzphrases which he simply repeats -- with a psuedo-respectful and borderline-smug tone -- over and over and over. And he quickly reverted to form.
http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/?last_story=/opinion/greenwald/2007/04/19/gonzales/
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:19 am
He quickly reverted to form, in part, because Specter handed him his ass when he tried to jump bad.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:42 am
Bernie, were you serious when you said:

"One bit of evidence to suggest all of this is that the republicans on this committe who are so evidently unhappy are folks who have come up through the judicial system themselves. Clearly, they give a damn."

I cannot recall when they have shown any sign of being principled.
0 Replies