Top general calls homosexuality 'immoral'

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 10:53 am
slkshock7 wrote:
Eh Beth, I did take a look at the study you referenced and find it suspect, since it was subsidized and written by an organization with a clear bias and expectedly, the results of the study support that bias. Therefore, we should no more allow this claim to go unchallenged than we should of any other study conducted by any right or left-leaning organiziton.

in that case we'll have to discard your link to the Guardian as well.

I didn't realize the Canadian government was an organization with a clear bias. Live and learn.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 10:58 am
Baldimo wrote:
To push your pro-gay agenda you will want to "educate" everyone in the military. See this is the problem with the left today.

"my" pro-gay agenda? the left today?

you need to get yourself up to speed

~~~~~

General's comments boost debate on gays in military

Quote:
The comments Monday by Marine General Peter Pace, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, prompted former Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John Warner, Republican of Virginia, to "strongly disagree" yesterday and signal that he might consider allowing gays to serve openly in the armed forces. Warner, who remains the ranking GOP member on the committee, is one of the Senate's most influential voices on military affairs.

Quote:
Others who oppose the current policy welcomed the debate sparked by Pace.

"I thought the initial statement was fabulous," said Aaron Belkin, a researcher at the University of California-Santa Barbara and a widely noted expert on the issue of gays in the military. "I may have been the only gay man in the country with that reaction. But he was being honest. This debate has proceeded with a great deal of dishonesty. Defenders have always said this is about military effectiveness. Their problem with gay people is . . . bigotry."

Belkin's the fella who wrote the report slkshock's unhappy with.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:09 am
ehBeth wrote:
slkshock7 wrote:
Eh Beth, I did take a look at the study you referenced and find it suspect, since it was subsidized and written by an organization with a clear bias and expectedly, the results of the study support that bias. Therefore, we should no more allow this claim to go unchallenged than we should of any other study conducted by any right or left-leaning organiziton.

I didn't realize the Canadian government was an organization with a clear bias. Live and learn.

Where does it say that it was the Canadian govt was the author of the study. I checked the website and it is a non-profit group. None of the reasearchers listed on their site are even Canadians. They all appear to work out of CA and not Canada. Was this really run by the Canadian govt? If it was then why are they a non-profit group looking for donations?
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 01:35 pm
ehBeth wrote:
slkshock7 wrote:

I'm fine with discarding both reports...are you?
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 01:47 pm
ehBeth wrote:

General's comments boost debate on gays in military

Quote:
The comments Monday by Marine General Peter Pace, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, prompted former Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John Warner, Republican of Virginia, to "strongly disagree" yesterday and signal that he might consider allowing gays to serve openly in the armed forces. Warner, who remains the ranking GOP member on the committee, is one of the Senate's most influential voices on military affairs.

Being a resident of Virgina, I've never been a fan of John Warner...this statement doesn't do anything to endear myself to him. What your quote fails to mention is that Warner does not explicitly come out in favor of eliminating "don't ask, don't tell". He merely says he'd welcome a hearing on the policy.

As his constituent, I intend to write a letter to let him know that I, in turn, strongly disagree with his position that homosexuality is moral.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 01:56 pm
Quote:
I, in turn, strongly disagree with his position that homosexuality is moral.

Do you? On what rationale do you arrive at this opinion?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:32 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Where does it say that it was the Canadian govt was the author of the study.

where do you think the researchers got the stats about the Cdn military? the Cdn military doesn't just let people wander past to do research - they release information.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:32 pm
slkshock7 wrote:
He merely says he'd welcome a hearing on the policy.

Being open-minded.

Dreadful, isn't it.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:46 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:

Hi, Blatham...haven't spoken with you in ages...my fault, entirely...

I'm a Christian...my rationale is based on an old book...

I presume you differ...what's the basis of your rationale?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:42 pm
Brownback Sends Letter in Support of General Pace
Commends Pace's leadership, personal commitment to moral principles
Wednesday, March 14, 2007

WASHINGTON - U.S. Senator Sam Brownback today circulated a letter among his Senate colleagues for signature that will be sent to President Bush in support of General Peter Pace, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The letter will be sent to the White House tomorrow. The full text of the letter is below:

Dear Mr. President:

We write in support of General Peter Pace, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who has recently received criticism for expressing his personal moral views.

During an interview on Sunday, while offering support for existing U.S. policies, General Pace discussed some of his personal moral convictions. These statements led to criticism from various groups and the media. Such criticism is both unfair and unfortunate.

As the highest ranking military officer in the United States Armed Forces, he is duty-bound to support the policies of the United States - support which he reiterated in a statement yesterday. But we should not expect someone as qualified, accomplished and articulate as General Pace to lack personal views on important moral issues. In fact, we should expect that anyone entrusted with such great responsibility will have strong moral views. We should be concerned if they do not have strong convictions on key issues.

The moral behavior of members of the Armed Forces is of the highest importance, particularly during this time of war. The question is whether personal moral beliefs should disqualify an individual from positions of leadership in the U.S. military? We think not. General Pace's recent remarks do not deserve the criticism they have received. In fact, we applaud General Pace for maintaining a personal commitment to moral principles. He has demonstrated great leadership during a very difficult time and he continues to do so today. We look forward to his continued service as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 06:25 am
slkshock7 wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

Hi, Blatham...haven't spoken with you in ages...my fault, entirely...

I'm a Christian...my rationale is based on an old book...

I presume you differ...what's the basis of your rationale?

And hello back.

To be picky, that isn't really a rationale, rather it is an argument from authority. My experience tells me that such arguments/opinions aren't usually ammenable to much rethinking. But I would invite that.

Of course, your opinion isn't a "Christian" opinion as many Christians do not hold that homosexuality is immoral.

Perhaps you also hold the opinion that the testaments are only coherent if understood quite literally. And again, as you know, not all Christians would agree, but let's leave that aside for the moment.

If that is so, if you do hold to a literalist understanding of scripture, it seems that you must be forced into a fairly awkward selectiveness is what portions of scripture literalism applies to. For example, Exodus 21:7 sanctions the selling of one's daughter into slavery. Lev 15: 19-24 prohibits contact with women during their period of menstral uncleanness. Exodus 35: 2 is very clear that those who work on the Sabbath are to be put to death.

My rationale? First, as you might suspect, I cannot manage to make all the above coherent as a means to establish what is moral or immoral. That's a lot of Walmart employees we'll have to execute, not to mention how angry my wife is going to be spending a few days every month in the garage. The daughter into slavery isn't such a big thing, particularly if the money is good, still, she's likely to be upset..."Dad! Like that's WAY like grounding!"

So, it seems I have to turn to some other criteria for establishing what is right and what is wrong or moral and immoral. The criteria I have settled on center around whether an act of mine (or another's) seems to lead to unnecessary suffering. And whether an individual is attracted to someone of the same gender or the opposite gender falls quite outside of that criterion. Conversely, placing homosexuals in a category which disallows them full equality and full dignity seems very clearly to foster unnecessary suffering for those people.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:46 am
It is interesting that the nation's highest ranking military officer finds that the conduct of gays is immoral, tantamount to adultery, and that this view was seconded by Sen. Sam Brownback, who wants to be president.

Gen. Pace and Brownback should consider what is really immoral, such as Bush lying us into a war, treating our vets like dirt, allowing about 100 million Americans to go without health coverage, etc.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:04 am
blatham wrote:
The criteria I have settled on center around whether an act of mine (or another's) seems to lead to unnecessary suffering. And whether an individual is attracted to someone of the same gender or the opposite gender falls quite outside of that criterion. Conversely, placing homosexuals in a category which disallows them full equality and full dignity seems very clearly to foster unnecessary suffering for those people.

And I was under the impression you thought my criteria was subjective. At least my criterion is written down...all you have is some subjective thing called "unnecessary suffering". Who defines what constitutes "unnecessary suffering"?

With a quick google search you will find references to why a Christian believes the Bible condemns the practice of abortion. I won't repeat that here, but since I believe human life begins at conception, then I'd argue that abortion causes "unnecessary suffering" to the baby. A woman might argue that the imposition of pregnancy causes "unnecessary suffering" to her. Am I correct or the woman? Same argument could be made for statutory rape (what unnecessary suffering is caused by consensual sex between a man and a fourteen year old girl?).

There are lots of stories and testomonies here of folks that would argue that homosexuality certainly does cause "unnecessary suffering". Who's to say that you are right and they're wrong?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:09 am
slkshock7 wrote:
With a quick google search you will find references to why a Christian believes the Bible condemns the practice of abortion.

You, and your google search, don't get to decide what "a Christian believes". some c/Christians feel as you do. Others don't.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:32 am
ehBeth wrote:
slkshock7 wrote:
With a quick google search you will find references to why a Christian believes the Bible condemns the practice of abortion.

You, and your google search, don't get to decide what "a Christian believes". some c/Christians feel as you do. Others don't.

Good point...people read the Bible and interpret it differently...but at least we've got some physical documented framework of moral beliefs that both arguing c/Christians agree is the authoritative source. Surely this is better than basing my moral positions on some subjective unwritten thing called "unnecessary suffering".
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 12:34 pm
slkshock7 wrote:
There are lots of stories and testomonies here of folks that would argue that homosexuality certainly does cause "unnecessary suffering".

They must not be doing it right.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 12:36 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
slkshock7 wrote:
There are lots of stories and testomonies here of folks that would argue that homosexuality certainly does cause "unnecessary suffering".

Only suffering on themselves, not others. That's not what we're talking about here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 01:04 pm
I hope that when all these homophobes die they are met at the Pearly Gates by angels dressed as the Village People and the lead tenor in the choir of heavenly hosts is Freddie Mercury....and of course in charge of the Book Of Life....J. Edgar Hoover...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 01:21 pm
March 14, 2007, 6:40 pm:

Quote:

Asked if she believed homosexuality was immoral, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton declined to answer the question in a television interview this morning and said it was for "others to conclude."

General Peter Pace, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a recent interview that he personally believed homosexuality was immoral and that this view was a factor in his opposition to gays serving openly in the military.

Mrs. Clinton, a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, supports allowing gays to serve, which would amount to a change in her husband's "don't ask don't tell" policy. She has also been aggressively courting gay voters and groups in recent weeks. Some gay groups have been critical of Mrs. Clinton's refusal to support gay marriage, however, though she does support civil unions.

Asked on ABC News today if she agreed with General Pace's view that homosexuality was immoral, Mrs. Clinton said: "Well I'm going to leave that to others to conclude." She added, "I'm very proud of the gays and lesbians I know who perform work that is essential to our country, who want to serve their country and I want make sure they can."

March 15, 2007, 3:02 pm:

Quote:
Clinton Clarifies Remarks on Gays

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton just released this statement on whether homosexuality is immoral, after being pressed by gay rights organizations to clarify her initial remarks.

"I have heard from many of my friends in the gay community that my response yesterday to a question about homosexuality being immoral sounded evasive. My intention was to focus the conversation on the failed don't ask, don't tell policy. I should have echoed my colleague Senator John Warner's statement forcefully stating that homosexuality is not immoral because that is what I believe."

One of many similar responses to the first item:

Quote:
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 02:41 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
slkshock7 wrote:

Only suffering on themselves, not others. That's not what we're talking about here.

Cycloptichorn

So you're saying that family members and friends don't suffer when Dad leaves the family to engage in an affair with Bob? Or a Christian mom & dad don't suffer when their son is engaged in a lifestyle they abhor and which puts him at considerable risk?
0 Replies