Top general calls homosexuality 'immoral'

revel

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:23 pm
Quote:
Do NOT EVER misrepresent the Declaration of Independence to further you personal opinions.

kinda getting on your high horse, woiyo.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:07 pm
It's just not what America is about.

This guy sez it better than I

Quote:
Pace also attributed his views on homosexuality to his "upbringing." But what if the lessons he learned and internalized as a youth included a dislike of blacks or Hispanics? Or the army? (Pace is a Marine.) It's doubtful that citing his "upbringing" would be an acceptable explanation for holding such views.

By citing his upbringing, Pace appears to be saying his views are so foundational, of such long-standing that he can't or won't change them. But surely he has revised other views he was taught as a youth just as most of us have. So clearly he has some choice about the views he holds as an adult.

http://gaypatriot.net/

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:16 pm
revel wrote:
Quote:
Do NOT EVER misrepresent the Declaration of Independence to further you personal opinions.

kinda getting on your high horse, woiyo.

Don't you EVER pee on the Liberty Bell AGAIN! And I MEAN it!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:19 pm
Quote:
Everywhere is freaks and hairies
Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity
Tax the rich, feed the poor
Till there are no rich no more

Id love to change the world
But I dont know what to do
So Ill leave it up to you

Population keeps on breeding
Nation bleeding, still more feeding economy
Life is funny, skies are sunny
Bees make honey, who needs money, monopoly

World pollution, theres no solution
Institution, electrocution
Just black and white, rich or poor
Them and us, stop the war

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:23 pm
Interracial marriage was illegal in California until the 70s (or later).

Of course Pace's comment is an instance of bigotry. His upbringing, his faith, his military culture are relevant to his notions and statement but irrelevant to whether that term 'bigotry' properly describes his position.

But CIs paste from the LA paper is the correct response here. As with that generation of good american folks who figured lynchings were a fine way to spend a saturday night, this old and tired generation will soon die off and homosexual panic will be substantially diminished.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:42 pm
Only by their words will we know they are homophotic bigots or not. Speak on, bigot Pace.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:10 pm
Pace is free to state his opinions as was Michael Richards free to state his. But both expressed bigotry and both blundered big time. The article that originated this thread pointed out that hundreds of linguists were tossed under dont ask dont tell and 54 of those Arab language linguists. Our national security has certainly been shortchanged by the policy not to mention we are short of troops as the Iraq war points out. No wonder a large majority of soldiers are more accepting of gays in the ranks than ever. They need the help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:15 pm
Quote:
1. Establish clear norms that sexual orientation is irrelevant to performing one's duty and that everyone should be judged on her or his own merits.

2. Eliminate false stereotypes about gay men and lesbians through education and sensitivity training for all personnel.

3. Set uniform standards for public conduct that apply equally to heterosexual and homosexual personnel.

4. Deal with sexual harassment as a form of conduct rather than as a characteristic of a class of people. Establish that all sexual harassment is unacceptable, regardless of the genders or sexual orientations of individuals involved.

5. Take a firm and highly publicized stand that violence against gay personnel is unacceptable and will be punished quickly and severely. Attach added penalties to antigay violence perpetrated by military personnel.

1993 - some people take a while to catch on
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:17 pm
Some never learn no matter how long it takes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:22 pm
slkshock7 wrote:
Hi, Eh-Beth

I presume you have some evidence that show other countries' militaries that permit homosexuality have lesser incidences of sexual harrassment than the US military?

I'm rather glad you asked. There are some fine studies on what happens when a military permits homosexual members to serve openly.

Quote:

Study Finds Gays Do Not Undermine Canadian Military Performance

18 April 2000 - SANTA BARBARA, CA. A new 44-page study of gays and lesbians in the Canadian military has found that after Canada's 1992 decision to allow homosexuals to serve openly in its armed forces, military performance did not decline.

The study is the most comprehensive academic study of homosexuality in a foreign military ever compiled and reflects an exhaustive inventory of relevant data and research. Its title is "Effects of the 1992 Lifting of Restrictions on Gay and Lesbian Service in the Canadian Forces; Appraising the Evidence".

<snip

Quote:
Key findings are as follows:

* Lifting of restrictions on gay and lesbian service in the Canadian Forces has not led to any change in military performance, unit cohesion, or discipline.
* Self-identified gay, lesbian, and transsexual members of the Canadian Forces contacted for the study describe good working relationships with peers.
* The percent of military women who experienced sexual harassment dropped 46% after the ban was lifted. While there were several reasons why harassment declined, one factor was that after the ban was lifted women were free to report assaults without fear that they would be accused of being a lesbian.
* Before Canada lifted its gay ban, a 1985 survey of 6,500 male soldiers found that 62% said that they would refuse to share showers, undress or sleep in the same room as a gay soldier. After the ban was lifted, follow-up studies found no increase in disciplinary, performance, recruitment, sexual misconduct, or resignation problems.
* None of the 905 assault cases in the Canadian Forces from November, 1992 (when the ban was lifted) until August, 1995 involved gay bashing or could be attributed to the sexual orientation of one of the parties.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:32 pm
the link for the research above

and then this really interesting piece (lots of great references)

Quote:
Despite the importance of the unit cohesion rationale as the official justification for the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy, there has been no direct test of its plausibility. Several scholarly studies have addressed the theoretical foundation of the unit cohesion rationale, and others have analyzed the experiences of foreign militaries that have lifted their gay bans. Despite these studies, however, the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy itself has made it impossible to study the plausibility of the unit cohesion rationale directly, in the context of heterosexual American military personnel who serve alongside gay and lesbian peers. Because American gay and lesbian service members cannot reveal their sexual orientation to peers or to scholars, such an analysis is not possible.

One empirical context that allows a more direct examination of the plausibility of the unit cohesion rationale, however, is multinational military units that include openly gay personnel from foreign armed forces who serve alongside Americans. As multinational military operations have become more common, it has become possible to ask whether and how U.S. personnel might be affected by the presence of acknowledged homosexual service members from other countries. An examination of multinational military units may be the most direct option for assessing the plausibility of the unit cohesion rationale.

This study begins by describing various settings in which U.S. personnel serve with non-U.S. personnel in multinational units. Then, it explores the official and unofficial policies and administrative mechanisms that organizations such as NATO and the United Nations have put into place to monitor differences in personnel policies among member nations. The study then presents five case studies of gay non-American service members who served with Americans in multinational military units or operations. Finally, a conclusion summarizes key findings.

The study's primary conclusion is that the presence of acknowledged gay service members does not compromise unit cohesion or operational effectiveness in multinational military units. American personnel are able to interact with and work successfully with acknowledged gay personnel from foreign militaries. When occasional conflicts do arise, they tend to be minor and to be resolved successfully in an informal manner. On an institutional level, the study also finds that neither NATO nor the United Nations has addressed the coordination of divergent policies concerning sexual orientation in an official manner, largely because these organizations are preoccupied with more pressing concerns, and because homosexual personnel are not seen as sources of tension, even for U.S. personnel.

it's long, but worth it if you're interested in this area of study
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:37 pm
Well, I thought a while before I posted earlier, since I do think morality matters as to how an individual human proceeds or a set of armed forces proceeds. That is why I am unhappy with the non-prohibition against torture by our governmental functionaries or their assigned... I think it matters. Or, Set's examples, which I'd have to reread more closely as to whether they were a private or societal, but right away agreed with him that they matter.

But, torture pros and cons aren't a question about private behavior.

I don't mind that Pace has a point of view about private behavior and expresses it, ordinarily, though I've no reason to listen to him more than anyone else. He was expressing it, though, as the interviewed Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff/U.S.

Quoting myself to clarify -
I think any sexual matter is only the armed forces' business in so far as there might be activity within a command structure, thus potentially causing conflict in the carrying out of duty - the same for the whole range of sexual attractions, whatever the usual rules are re heterosexual personnel in the armed forces..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:04 pm
ehBeth, Good article; we remain in ignorance while following an arcane rule of "don't ask, don't tell." That many international military allows military service to open gays and lesbians should be a clue, but our military would rather live in the dark (ages).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:06 pm
I wonder if General Pace was taught that torture was immoral when he was a child.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:56 am
What about torturing homosexuals? Do the negatives cancel out and give him a positive?

This is such a pitiful mess. I actually respond well to Pace as he seems without the macho arrogance and meglomania of many other military officers we see propped up in front of the flag.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 06:14 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Don't attack me, son, because you're against what it means to be an American.

It's okay with me that you don't believe that people are equal, and that bigotry towards them is okay, but don't claim that such an attitude reflects what America is all about.

Cycloptichorn

Typical pompus, arrognant and ignorant response.

How one would use the Declaration of Independance to support homosexual rights shows me you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Homosexuals have rights and are protected by law. They are free to servce in the military and do so proudly.

Sexual orientation has no business in the military. Which is why I support Don't ask, Don't tell.

Just because a General has a differnet opinion then you about the morality of it, and since you can not intellignetly argue the point, due lack of education only permits you to come back with name calling.

Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:04 am
ehBeth:

Quote:
1. Establish clear norms that sexual orientation is irrelevant to performing one's duty and that everyone should be judged on her or his own merits.

That is a standard in the military as it stands now. If no one tells you they are gay then how can you judge their performance in their job. You are then judged on your own merits. Sexuality doesn't even come into the equation.

Quote:
2. Eliminate false stereotypes about gay men and lesbians through education and sensitivity training for all personnel.

What stereosypes would those be?

To push your pro-gay agenda you will want to "educate" everyone in the military. See this is the problem with the left today. If you don't agree with the party line just as in the colleges today then you are sent to reeducation camp to make sure you agree. Sensitivity training serves no place in a free society. I thought they only did reeducation in places like the old Russia and now in present day Cuba and North Korea.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:08 am
It's obvious that the military brass and a lot of people don't approve of (read very frightened of) gays, so I don't understand why they don't want them in combat situations where they would be killed. After all, according to these homophobes we'd be better off without them. What better way to kill them without having blood on your hands than to send them into combat? I mean, they're obviously all sissies and therefore they won't last long right? But they might buy a little extra time for human beings worthy of walking the earth and serving in the military of the U By God S A.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:14 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Don't attack me, son, because you're against what it means to be an American.

It's okay with me that you don't believe that people are equal, and that bigotry towards them is okay, but don't claim that such an attitude reflects what America is all about.

Cycloptichorn

Typical pompus, arrognant and ignorant response.

How one would use the Declaration of Independance to support homosexual rights shows me you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Homosexuals have rights and are protected by law. They are free to servce in the military and do so proudly.

Sexual orientation has no business in the military. Which is why I support Don't ask, Don't tell.

Just because a General has a differnet opinion then you about the morality of it, and since you can not intellignetly argue the point, due lack of education only permits you to come back with name calling.

Have a nice day.

You don't seem to get the main point. In fact it seems to be escaping a lot of people.

The main point is simply this: It is fine for Pace to have morality views and to express them public ally no matter the subject. But he didn't just simply state his morality views for no reason. He stated them as a foundation as to why he supported the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. He has no right to enforce his religious and/or moral views through policies onto others.

Even though the Don't ask Don't tell policy was mainly a Clinton thing and it was done I think for good intentions. It is still a form of discrimination since it makes homosexuals hide their natures/lifestyles. He said he was against adultery as well in the military. I can see why he would link the two since for the most part gays are not allowed to marry therefore their entire relationship would be sex outside of marriage. But that is hardly their fault since we have such discrimination laws in the first place forbidding gays to marry.

I am curious about how the Don't ask Don't tell works. If they saw two men or two women holding hands in a public place; does anything happen since they can't ask? Are they allowed to state their love for each other and not get in trouble since no one can ask about their relationship?
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 10:06 am
Eh Beth,
I did take a look at the study you referenced and find it suspect, since it was subsidized and written by an organization with a clear bias and expectedly, the results of the study support that bias. Therefore, we should no more allow this claim to go unchallenged than we should of any other study conducted by any right or left-leaning organiziton.

So I tried to find statistics that corroborated the study's findings that sexual harrasment has decreased by 46%. As of yet, I've been unable to find any evidence to support that claim. Quite the contrary...this 2006 article shows sexual harrassment in the British military is rife.

There's no causal link established back to the elimination of the British "don't ask and don't tell" in 2000, but the fact that 99% of the women are currently claiming sexual harrasment pretty much destroys the possibility of any improvement since 2000 (unless you intend to claim that prior to 2000, 100% were harrassed).
0 Replies