Right Panics Over Giuliani's Big Lead

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:12 pm
I agree with lash that assertions depend on supporting argumentation and facts.

I don't have a problem with people making assertions without backing them up, per se (we all do it) but when called on it, one should either provide the info in question or admit that it isn't a strong argument.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:14 pm
Thanks, cyclop.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:22 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I don't have a problem with people making assertions without backing them up, per se (we all do it) but when called on it, one should either provide the info in question or admit that it isn't a strong argument.

Cycloptichorn

I agree too, this is just basic etiquette and keeps people from wasting other people's time.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:36 pm
Lash wrote:

Opinion and assertion of fact are not the same thing. I'll do the research when I'm making the assertion. Look around. It's been that way for the four years I've been here. You don't know what you're talking about..

Wow! Can I have your link to my mind?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I think this assertion/opinion differentiation is petty.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:06 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Lash wrote:

Opinion and assertion of fact are not the same thing. I'll do the research when I'm making the assertion. Look around. It's been that way for the four years I've been here. You don't know what you're talking about..

Wow! Can I have your link to my mind?

If you can give evidence you have one, yes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:08 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It's important, though, because it keeps people honest; in that you can't run around claiming that things are true - not just one's opinion, but fact - without backing it up in some sort of way.

Cheers to you; you'd be happy to know that following your influence I made two shirts myself last saturday, and one of them actually turned out okay.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:35 pm
Lash wrote:
Nimh--

You know good and well that if a member makes an assertion, they are asked to back it up with a source. Since always.

Never stopped you from making assertions without documenting each with a link. Youve done what GW now did countless times, so why suddenly the scorn for her?

(For random example, repeated assertions of Obama's "cozy relationship with Daley", which refers to what more exactly than a man endorsing his party's candidate for an election?)

Like Cyclo and you, of course, I am in principle all for people documenting their assertions - just sounds a bit sanctimonious coming from you (and thats from someone who actually likes you). But also, of course, I think its different if, you know - you invite someone to give his opinion, like, "so, what do you think of this man then?". When he then gives it, its sorta obvious from that context alone that that is what he will be giving - his opinion. Doesnt exactly then also still need a disclaimer for every remark.

Meanwhile, you made a bunch of assumptions yourself (about the book, for example) that were misjudged, and I dont see you acknowledging that or going back on 'em..

I dunno. Of course I think people should come up with data and links - opinions, to quote Amigo when he was angry at me once, are like arseholes, everyone's got one. So data, facts, links etc have more added value.

But there is also this point where someone already gives you enough info (say, title and author of book) that two clicks on Google will give you the accompanying info (say, that its not tabloid stuff). To then still say the equivalent of, "well I aint gonna do those two clicks, that was your job, so I'm just gonna sit here not knowing what you were talking about instead" smacks too much like, simply - no offence - "I dont want to know".

I might be reacting like that also partly because of the parallel discussion with Foxfyre on the other (McCain Giuliani etc) thread. But I mean, this is what it comes down to basically, isnt it? If someone was posting here that my preferred candidate had some serious problem that could still majorly eff his run up, I would want to know. If I'm given the names of the people involved, the name of a book about it, links to the NYT news archive about it, or such more, I would want to paste that info into Google with one sweep of the finger, click that link, and find out! Instead, we seem to encounter this, "well I'm not gonna look any of this up until I deem you to have given me a direct enough link". Might as well just say, "I prefer to not know," no?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:41 pm
I haven't even finished reading your post. I had absolutely no "scorn" for GW. When I was asked for a link, I was forced to produce one or retract my assertion.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:50 pm
Lash wrote:
Nimh--

(For random example, repeated assertions of Obama's "cozy relationship with Daley", which refers to what more exactly than a man endorsing his party's candidate for an election?)
He endorsed a known crook. They are mutually supporting each other with glowing language. I am calling it cozy.

Like Cyclo and you, of course, I am in principle all for people documenting their assertions - just sounds a bit sanctimonious coming from you
So, it's true---I just can't say it? I'm not going to characterize what I'm thinking now--because I'm someone who likes you.

(and thats from someone who actually likes you).

But also, of course, I think its different if, you know - you invite someone to give his opinion, like, "so, what do you think of this man then?". When he then gives it, its sorta obvious from that context alone that that is what he will be giving - his opinion. Doesnt exactly then also still need a disclaimer for every remark.
She made statements that are either fact or fiction. I want to know what makes her assert them as fact. I didn't ask her to support her opinion--but the facts she bases it on. You really have no reason to be in this conversation.

Meanwhile, you made a bunch of assumptions yourself (about the book, for example) that were misjudged, and I dont see you acknowledging that or going back on 'em..
WTF? What assumptions did I make?
I dunno. Of course I think people should come up with data and links - opinions, to quote Amigo when he was angry at me once, are like arseholes, everyone's got one. So data, facts, links etc have more added value.

But there is also this point where someone already gives you enough info (say, title and author of book) that two clicks on Google will give you the accompanying info (say, that its not tabloid stuff). To then still say the equivalent of, "well I aint gonna do those two clicks, that was your job, so I'm just gonna sit here not knowing what you were talking about instead" smacks too much like, simply - no offence - "I dont want to know".
I don't give a ****. I have to produce to support my assertions and there's no way you're getting around the same. I don't know what you're trying to prove, but it ain't happening. It is HER DUTY to support or admit she hasn't got support. PERIOD.
I might be reacting like that also partly because of the parallel discussion with Foxfyre on the other (McCain Giuliani etc) thread. But I mean, this is what it comes down to basically, isnt it? If someone was posting here that my preferred candidate had some serious problem that could still majorly eff his run up, I would want to know. If I'm given the names of the people involved, the name of a book about it, links to the NYT news archive about it, or such more, I would want to paste that info into Google with one sweep of the finger, click that link, and find out! Instead, we seem to encounter this, "well I'm not gonna look any of this up until I deem you to have given me a direct enough link". Might as well just say, "I prefer to not know," no?
Make assertion = prove or fold.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:20 pm
plainoldme wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Maybe religious people, are a little more capable of logical thinking than you think they are.

Religious beliefs are just that, beliefs, products of emotion (and comfort) rather than logic.
See if that logic will sell better this time around than it has in decades. Laughing Conservatives must get wood when liberals start bashing religion. I can ill imagine a dumber strategy in a country where 80% of the citizens still believe in a higher power.

As for your babble about the internet being a place where it's not necessary to back assertions with evidence; look around the politics forum here and see what a ridiculous assertion that is (how on earth could Nimh, of all people, be backing that logic or lack thereof).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:38 pm
Lash wrote:
WTF? What assumptions did I make?

- That Kerik / the Kerik case "was a pea" compared to Marc Rich / the Rich case, for one.

This was before it was pointed out that Kerik was Giuliani's bodyguard, that Giuliani appointed this man who'd turn out to have former mafia ties to police chief of New York City by bypassing the vetting process, and despite him not having the officially required qualifications. And then he recommended the man for USA Homeland Security chief, still without ever considering it worth to do the kind of check-up that had the administration finding out about Kerik's history in no time.

This is the man you want to be President - wouldnt you want to come back on the assumption that this is a comparatively pea-like case?

- That "America's Mayor: The Hidden History of Rudy Giuliani's New York - Robert Polner" "sounds like a tabloid" - thats you making an assumption about its worth - though the one copy/paste into Google could have told you you were wrong.

Lash wrote:
But I mean, this is what it comes down to basically, isnt it? If someone was posting here that my preferred candidate had some serious problem that could still majorly eff his run up, I would want to know. If I'm given the names of the people involved, the name of a book about it, links to the NYT news archive about it, or such more, I would want to paste that info into Google with one sweep of the finger, click that link, and find out! Instead, we seem to encounter this, "well I'm not gonna look any of this up until I deem you to have given me a direct enough link". Might as well just say, "I prefer to not know," no?
Make assertion = prove or fold.

Would it make any difference re your followup, really? On the other thread, where the subject is how Giuliani treated his wife, you're still asserting that 'people shouldnt believe everything they read in the tabloids' - even though, there, people have, repetitively and extensively, given you and Fox the links to news archives from mainstream papers reporting about all that stuff. Its all a matter of public record, theres video, everything. All you'd need to do to doublecheck the assertions is click the link, Google it up.

But apparently, you didnt deign any of that worth doing, and prefer to imply that it must all be tabloid fiction anyway. So why pretend that you'd really, really want GW to give you links of her own as well? Its not like giving you links or not giving you links seems to make any difference to how you react.

Seriously, all this smacks like major diversion / denial. You asked GW for an opinion, you got it. You didnt like it. In the meantime, other people have given you links on a bunch of the things GW mentioned. You didnt want to look into them. Instead, you get into a tizzy about how GW didnt also add links. I'm sure the lion's part of this diversion/denial stuff is subconcsious, but boy is it tiresome.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:48 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
how on earth could Nimh, of all people, be backing that logic or lack thereof.

OK Bill - imagine you sitting in a bar. Man comes up to you and starts saying, "do you know that the mayor is an alcoholic crook?" You like the mayor, so you'll say, "yeah? back that up will ya?"

OK, now imagine sitting in a bar, conversation is about the mayor, and you turn to the girl next to you and say, "why, what do you think about the mayor? whats your take?" An she says, "well I think he's a no-good egoist prick who got himself in too much shady stuff". Well, you asked. You'll probably ask her why she thinks so, but, after asking her for her opinion in the first place, would you then really lambast her for giving it without providing enough links and data? Somehow I doubt it..

Real life check: same here. If people here come to make an argument, I expect them to buttress it. But if I ask someone what she thinks about something, I aint then gonna get on her ass for not including point-by-point proof for what she's saying. I asked what she thought, I know that what I'm going to get is an opinion.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:55 pm
Nor I, Nimh. But she didn't stop there. She made it sound as if the idea of backing up a claim is unheard of. Look again:
plainoldme wrote:
Lash wrote:
Nimh--

You know good and well that if a member makes an assertion, they are asked to back it up with a source. Since always.

Puh-leeeze! This is a forum. A place for opinions. No one is defending a dissertation. If you are smart enough to type, you should be smart enough to do some very basic research and nothing is more basic than the internet.

Next, she scoffed at the very distinction you are makingÂ…
plainoldme wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Do you think assertion/opinion differentiation is petty?(Laughing) I didn't think so.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:57 pm
Different "she"s. Nimh's referring to Lash (who asked GW about Giuliani), you're referring to Plainoldme.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:58 pm
(or something... I admit I've become a bit lost.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 09:05 pm
Look up to the top of the page, Soz.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 09:07 pm
I'm fairly certain that's not what nimh's referring to, though.

But I'll butt out.

G'night!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 09:44 pm
Yep, O'Bill, Soz is right of course. I'm talking about Lash asking GreenWitch for her opinion, and GW giving it, and Lash then going after her for not providing the links and evidence. Move the scene to a bar and ask yourself what you'd do.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 09:59 pm
nimh wrote:
Yep, O'Bill, Soz is right of course. I'm talking about Lash asking GreenWitch for her opinion, and GW giving it, and Lash then going after her for not providing the links and evidence. Move the scene to a bar and ask yourself what you'd do.
Beyond talking past each other, we don't disagree. You responded to me right after I quoted plainoldme... so naturally, I thought you were responding to that. More often than not, in a bar I'll respond with, "oh". :wink:

Night Soz.
0 Replies