Right Panics Over Giuliani's Big Lead

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 06:26 pm
Quote:
You assume that the decisions made by those on the Religious Right are ones made from a position of logic. This is the opposite of all the evidence that I've seen.

Cycloptichorn- You are so right. I have been giving those guys much more credit than they deserve. I suppose that there are some folks who will never allow logic and reason to get in the way of what they believe! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 06:33 pm
i posted rudy-marilyn to show that his attitude towards personal philosophies would cause schisms within the gop not seen since 1964.

rudy is an opportunist who never passes a chance at self-promotion, yet he is not a puritan like the folks who would back brownback or some of the other nutbags on the right who want to shove their religious beliefs down the throats of others by government fiat.

rudy won't win a general election because too many of the rightwing mouthbreathers will stay home rather than vote for a "homo-lover" and you had better bet any democrat will force him to delineate his pro gay stance. few democrates would vote for him because he is an arrogant martinet and we have had our fill of that with george bush.

watch for the wise old men of the gop to draft jeb bush if all else fails. the only way the democrats could possibly lose the 2008 presidential election is to be stupid enough to nominate hillary clinton, but the democrates have rarely shown any instincts towards self-preservation.

For me, I want Al Gore
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:01 pm
Lash wrote:
GW-- You don't give him credit for cleaning up Dinkin's mess?
What problems did he create?

I think there was a lot of hope that when Giuliani came in after Dinkins that he would work to restore peaceful relations between whites and minorities. He certainly talked about it, but little was done and when push came to shove (literally) Giuliani always supported the white establishment. He is credited for revitalizing some tough neighborhoods, but he actually just cleared the way for luxury developers to move in and push out the middle class and poor. He seemed to envision Manhattan as island of the rich and famous, or at least the very rich. He scraped a lot housing that was being planned for artists and the middle class. He fought to get rid of a lot of green space to make room for yet more luxury condos.

Ironically, he is praised for his 9/11 activity, but during his term he brutally cut the equipment funding and services to the police and fire departments. It's part of the reason the first responders ended up getting sick, they didn't have enough of the right equipment. After the first attack on the World Trade there was talk of another bigger attack, most people thought it would be one of the commuter tunnels or in the subway. People were afraid of an attack like the chemical one in Japan, but Giuliani just kind of poo poo'd the idea saying he had it all under control and never went ahead with any planning. Things like chemical masks never became a part of standard rescue equipment.

I understand why America admired him during 9/11, especially compared to Bush sitting in that classroom with the deer in the headlights stare and reading about goats. Rudy really did make America feel we had a hero at the helm. Since that time Rudy has basically made a second career out of being the 9/11 man on the scene. He's travelled the world telling of his heroics for very nice speaking sums (not that he isn't entitled to what people are willing to pay).

Rudy is a little strange in the personality department and seems to be a poor judge of character. He loves plugging in his cronies to positions where they're not always best suited. He recommended his former bodyguard Bernie Kerik (yeah I had to look up the name) to Bush for his Homeland Security Chief and the hearings were almost comical when Kerik's dark past (including ties to organized crime) came to the surface.

Rudy's sex life is far more interesting than Clinton could ever hope for. His various divorces and such do make for interesting gossip - doesn't bother me, but he is running on the No Sex Please, We're Republicans ticket.

I suggest reading America's Mayor: The Hidden History of Rudy Giuliani's New York - Robert Polner. I think it's an honest assessment of the Giuliani years and makes for a good telling of history.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:21 pm
Thanks for the take, GW - didnt know that much.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:17 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Lash wrote:

I think there was a lot of hope that when Giuliani came in after Dinkins that he would work to restore peaceful relations between whites and minorities. He certainly talked about it, but little was done and when push came to shove (literally) Giuliani always supported the white establishment.

He supported the cleaning up of an infested NYC. Anyone of any color who was for that got what they wanted. I didn't hear anything about any racial thing re Rudy...

He is credited for revitalizing some tough neighborhoods, but he actually just cleared the way for luxury developers to move in and push out the middle class and poor. He seemed to envision Manhattan as island of the rich and famous, or at least the very rich. He scraped a lot housing that was being planned for artists and the middle class. He fought to get rid of a lot of green space to make room for yet more luxury condos.

A lot of this is opinion. The murders stopped. Crime plummeted. That's what the city wanted and that's what it got. "seemed to envision" ...You're certainly entitled to your opinion-- If you have links to verify any of this, I'd appreciate it.

Ironically, he is praised for his 9/11 activity, but during his term he brutally cut the equipment funding and services to the police and fire departments. It's part of the reason the first responders ended up getting sick, they didn't have enough of the right equipment. After the first attack on the World Trade there was talk of another bigger attack, most people thought it would be one of the commuter tunnels or in the subway. People were afraid of an attack like the chemical one in Japan, but Giuliani just kind of poo poo'd the idea saying he had it all under control and never went ahead with any planning. Things like chemical masks never became a part of standard rescue equipment.

Again. I'd be interested to see the links.

I understand why America admired him during 9/11, especially compared to Bush sitting in that classroom with the deer in the headlights stare and reading about goats. Rudy really did make America feel we had a hero at the helm. Since that time Rudy has basically made a second career out of being the 9/11 man on the scene. He's travelled the world telling of his heroics for very nice speaking sums (not that he isn't entitled to what people are willing to pay).

He certainly is. Clinton knocks down a fee as well. They all do.

Rudy is a little strange in the personality department and seems to be a poor judge of character. He loves plugging in his cronies to positions where they're not always best suited. He recommended his former bodyguard Bernie Kerik (yeah I had to look up the name) to Bush for his Homeland Security Chief and the hearings were almost comical when Kerik's dark past (including ties to organized crime) came to the surface.

Reminds me of Obama's cozy relationship with Daley... Clinton's to Marc Rich.... Kerik is a pea compared to them...and the big difference there--Rudy was unaware. We can't say that for Clinton and Obama...

Rudy's sex life is far more interesting than Clinton could ever hope for. His various divorces and such do make for interesting gossip - doesn't bother me, but he is running on the No Sex Please, We're Republicans ticket.

He most definitely is not running on any such thing.

I suggest reading America's Mayor: The Hidden History of Rudy Giuliani's New York - Robert Polner. I think it's an honest assessment of the Giuliani years and makes for a good telling of history.

Sounds like a tabloid. I thought liberals were above that... Very Happy <shakes head> I guess when it suits them. Knock a man for having gay friends and a private life...

Oh well. Set the standards. I can have fun on any level we choose, ladies and gentlemen...
Laughing
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:29 pm
I lived through some of it Lash. My apartment was slated to become an artist co-op, but a good friend of Rudy's got strings pulled so it was changed to a luxury development. Just one of many. Same is true of the green spaces, this is about the timewhen Bette Midler started working with the Green Guerilla's to stop Rudy from denying leasing rights to local gardening groups and selling the city property to developers, sometimes below market value.

I don't think you will have a problem finding information from neutral groups on the web. Most of what I know I read in the NYC papers when he was still in office.

I like the fact that he's pro-choice, pro-gay, and pro-sex. I think he's smart and I don't think he is a racist. He just ran the city like a maffia boss.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:35 pm
(What's the "cozy relationship with Daley" thing about, anyway? They endorsed each other. He's the mayor of the city Obama lives in. This isn't, for example, an appointment.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:56 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I lived through some of it Lash. My apartment was slated to become an artist co-op, but a good friend of Rudy's got strings pulled so it was changed to a luxury development. Just one of many. Same is true of the green spaces, this is about the timewhen Bette Midler started working with the Green Guerilla's to stop Rudy from denying leasing rights to local gardening groups and selling the city property to developers, sometimes below market value.

I don't think you will have a problem finding information from neutral groups on the web. Most of what I know I read in the NYC papers when he was still in office.

I like the fact that he's pro-choice, pro-gay, and pro-sex. I think he's smart and I don't think he is a racist. He just ran the city like a maffia boss.

You are making a lot of serious claims, GW. I just think you should back them up with sources.

...pulled strings for his friend... Sounds like hearsay.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:07 pm
Really Lash,you don't need me to do the Googling. If I do you'll just tell me you don't like the sources. I've been through this on political threads, it's pointless. If you want to look for the information you can do so, it will be up to you to believe it or not. I have nothing to gain or lose from your belief or rejection of what you find.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 04:54 am
Lash wrote:
<GreenWitch's answer>

A lot of this is opinion.

Thats what you asked for. She said she didnt think he did a good job, you asked her why she thought so. So she told you.

I cant remember you ever restraining yourself from expressing an opinion if you didnt have links to footnote every claim - even when you werent asked for it ;-)

Lash wrote:
Rudy .. loves plugging in his cronies to positions where they're not always best suited. He recommended his former bodyguard Bernie Kerik (yeah I had to look up the name) to Bush for his Homeland Security Chief and the hearings were almost comical when Kerik's dark past (including ties to organized crime) came to the surface.

Reminds me of Obama's cozy relationship with Daley...

What Soz said. Giuliani personally appointed Kerik to New York City Police Commissioner.

Not just did Giuliani take the responsibility for this appointment as regular part of his job - he went out of his way to push through his appointment, despite the fact that Kerik lacked the prescribed qualifications. As Wikipedia points out, having a college degree was a requirement established in 1985 by then-Commissioner Benjamin Ward for anyone promoted above the rank of Captain, and yet Giuliani made Kerik police chief of the city even though he didnt have any.

Moreover, Wikipedia also adds, "There have been questions raised regarding the fact that the City of New York's Department of Investigations bypassed the normal vetting process in appointing Kerik police commissioner. The accusation among others were that his chief qualification appeared to be that he had served as Giuliani's driver and bodyguard."

So not just did he personally appoint the guy to be the city's police chief - it was a very controversial appointment at that. All of this equates with endorsing your party's candidate for mayor how exactly?

Lash wrote:
Kerik is a pea compared to them...and the big difference there--Rudy was unaware.

Dont you think a New York mayor should have made the effort to find out about someone's past ties to organised crime, before bypassing regulations and vetting process to appoint him to head of police of New York City? Let alone recommending him as US Homeland Security Chief?

Lash wrote:

Sounds like a tabloid. I thought liberals were above that...

Hardly a tabloid.

"Edited by Robert Polner, who covered city hall for Newsday during much of Giuliani's administration, America's Mayor collects the original essays and reporting of some of New York's best writers, including Pulitzer Prize winner Jim Dwyer, Tom Robbins, Jimmy Breslin, Kevin Baker, Luc Sante, LynNell Hancock, and others."

As you could have found out through a simple Google search

What is with this "Oh you're giving me information that could be unbenefitial to my preferred candidate, I'd better just reject it out of hand as something it isnt, rather than have to actually Google it up and find out I might have to take it seriously"? Its, like, positively Foxfyre-esque.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:41 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

So what would the radical right rather have in the White House? A Republican who does not share all of their views, or a Democrat????

You assume that the decisions made by those on the Religious Right are ones made from a position of logic. This is the opposite of all the evidence that I've seen.

I doubt you could explain to god at the end of the day that you voted for someone who supported gays and abortion, so that you could be spared from someone who supports gays and abortion.

Cycloptichorn

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/27/AR2007022701030.html]The Washington Post[/url] wrote:
In the Republican race, former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, who recently made clear his intentions to seek the presidency, has expanded his lead over Sen. John McCain of Arizona. Giuliani holds a 2 to 1 advantage over McCain among Republicans, according to the poll, more than tripling his margin of a month ago.

The principal reason was a shift among white evangelical Protestants, who now clearly favor Giuliani over McCain. Giuliani is doing well among this group of Americans despite his support of abortion rights and gay rights, two issues of great importance to religious conservatives. McCain opposes abortion rights.
Idea Maybe religious people, are a little more capable of logical thinking than you think they are. No panic here. :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:07 am
Thank you Nimh, I just didn't have the mental strength to do the banter. I really should just stay away from the political threads and focus more on entertaining Gus, flirting with Kicky, and giving fat teens good dieting tips.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:11 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Idea Maybe religious people, are a little more capable of logical thinking than you think they are. No panic here. :wink:

I don't think so OBill
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:26 pm
Nimh--

You know good and well that if a member makes an assertion, they are asked to back it up with a source. Since always.

I never implied that GW couldn't or shouldn't express her opinion--but she presented what she said about Giuliani as facts. As with EVERYONE ELSE, I wanted to see her sources. If she is somehow operating with a special entitlement, sign me up.

There is a difference in "I think this...", and "He did this..."

GW--

I hope that poor girl doesn't see how you have characterized her.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:49 pm
kuvasz wrote:

watch for the wise old men of the gop to draft jeb bush if all else fails.

I'm not entirely certain that Mitt Romney should be counted out, if that is the criteria being followed: Mitt's Dad was 41's best friend and ran 41's Thousand Points of Light Foundation. Mitt may be a placeholder with Jeb to follow in 2016.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:52 pm
Giuliani and Obama making gains.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:55 pm
Green Witch wrote:
My apartment was slated to become an artist co-op, but a good friend of Rudy's got strings pulled so it was changed to a luxury development.

Quote:

Ah, yes, the latest sad trend in urban America. Could tell a story of how a rather dilapidated building in Boston's North End was the home of artists who were dispossessed. The scarred floors were made over into mirror-finished scarred floors and among the new tenants was the often-mistaken-for-liberal Atlantic Monthly, which vacated its much tonier home space in the Back Bay. Ah, the every prejudiced Atlantic Monthly.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:59 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Maybe religious people, are a little more capable of logical thinking than you think they are. [/quote]

Religious beliefs are just that, beliefs, products of emotion (and comfort) rather than logic.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:01 pm
Lash wrote:
Nimh--

You know good and well that if a member makes an assertion, they are asked to back it up with a source. Since always.

Quote:

Puh-leeeze! This is a forum. A place for opinions. No one is defending a dissertation. If you are smart enough to type, you should be smart enough to do some very basic research and nothing is more basic than the internet.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:10 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Lash wrote:
Nimh--

Quote:

Puh-leeeze! This is a forum. A place for opinions. No one is defending a dissertation. If you are smart enough to type, you should be smart enough to do some very basic research and nothing is more basic than the internet.

Opinion and assertion of fact are not the same thing. I'll do the research when I'm making the assertion. Look around. It's been that way for the four years I've been here. You don't know what you're talking about..
0 Replies