What bothers me about the Dems right now....

A Lone Voice

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 05:54 pm
parados wrote:
A Lone Voice wrote:
You make my case for those who, when they cannot forward a comprehensible argument, go on the attack. Check out YOUR first post.

My first post was a satire of your screed.

www.dictionary.com will give the definition.

You made an outlandish post about the position of others. I made an outlandish post about the position of others in order to highlight how outlandish your position was. Maybe you can get one of your "buddys" to explain it to you.

Nice try.

I throw out a few hundred words, and you come back with the typical loser attack. One sentence, full of venom and hate.

Now you claim it was only satire?

You think it was outlandish. Others agreed with it, didn't they?

I think I've recognized the type of A2K troll you seem to be. A quick post here and there, belittling others and never really bringing up any original thoughts of your own. Quick to jump on the bandwagon of those who think like you, and quick to attack those you disagree with.

That's why people like you, if you ever came into power, scare the hell out of me. Hence, my comment about people like you putting people like me into a camp.

You would have made a great Nazi Party member.

But hey, I'm glad you finally found a dictionary. You might try using it yourself so you don't sound so illiterate... Very Happy
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 05:57 pm
Good satire too. Razz
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 05:57 pm
Quote:
I'm talking about the dems who beat the war drums as loud as the neocons. The ones who you refer to as repub lights?

With that said, I truly believe these some politicians are now using the failure of the US in Iraq just as they were earlier beating the war drums. There is nothing honorable in their actions.

At this point, they have invested themselves deeply into the US losing, and pulling out of Iraq. If this latest surge is successful, what do you think their reaction is going to be?

Is it wrong of me to question their motives? I would think the sincere anti-war folk would be questioning them, too.

I don't know what Dems you might be referring to when you describe them as beating the drums as loud as the neocons.

Can one refer to or speak of the failure in Iraq, if one is a Dem, or put forward proposals to minimize damage arising from the failure and yet avoid becoming, in your eyes, without honor?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:46 pm
parados wrote:
None of the 3 lead to invasion being "necessary". Invasion was a choice but it was hardly "necessary."

We seem to have lost track of the point I was actually making, which is that the president has not done anything worthy of great censure. However, to change my intended subject and address these statements about the Iraq invasion, an evil dictator who has a history of declaring other countries to be his, and is known to have been working hard to develop nuclear bombs and bioweapons does create a clear and present danger. Should a man like Hussein amass a stockpile of these weapons, it could result in either the death of a million people through the actual use of nuclear and/or biological weapons, or he could use them to annex his neighbors again and become very much more powerful. Someone like Saddam Hussein is the one of the last men a sane person would want to be in charge of nukes and bioweapons. As for invasion being necessary, the primary methods available to insure verification that his development programs had stopped were negotiation, trade sanctions, or invasion. We had been trying the first two unsuccessfully for more than a decade. Had his development programs still existed, he might merely have been stalling to buy the time necessary to finish development of the weapons. This possibility posed too great a risk. We had tried peaceful measures for a very long time without obtaining any convincing evidence that his development programs had been dismantled, evidence he could easily have provided had he chosen to.

parados wrote:
1. Ambiguous evidence doesn't lead to one choice. It leads to many choices. The primary choice would be to find better information.
Again, we had been trying for over a decade, and had he been continuing his former development programs in hiding, we might have had a finite time window of opportunity. Even a moderate probability of a monumental disaster must be considered to be very serious.

parados wrote:
2. Saddam's long pattern of hiding evidence and obstructing inspectors doesn't lead to one choice. Again it leads to many. "Trust but verify" comes to mind. (Your arguments from 1997 were not current with the circumstances in 2003. One could as easily list Bush's drinking and driving charges from the 60's as evidence he still does it but it doesn't make it true. )

It does, however indicate that he had at one time, and possibly still had, an explicit intention of developing WMD secretly while deceiving inspectors, which made him someone who ought not to be trusted. An evil dictator having WMD is a bit more serious than an individual with a drinking problem. They do not pose comparable levels of risk.

parados wrote:
3. Saddam having nukes is not an argument. It is a scare tactic. Anyone having nukes could lead to wrong consequences.

It is a very powerful argument since one single use of one single bomb could kill hundreds of thousands of people. "Anyone having nukes could lead to wrong consequences," but the idea that anyone with nukes poses the same danger as anyone else is absurd. Obviously a nuclear Saddam Hussein would be an incalculably greater risk than a nuclear Mother Teresa.

parados wrote:
That doesn't lead to the necessary choice of imprisoning anyone and everyone that even mentions nukes.

No one has asserted the necessity of imprisoning anyone and everyone who even mentions nukes. Some of us have asserted the necessity of resolving the issue of a terribly evil ruler striving to achieve WMD and lying about it.

parados wrote:
The lack of evidence of nukes does not lead to an invasion as the only necessary solution. In the 12 years since Saddam was ordered to destroy his WMD he had not annexed or threatened anyone. It appears that the current containment was working. Again, you use out of date facts to try to support your "necessary" invasion.

When there is a reasonable chance that someone like Saddam Hussein is continuing past efforts to create nukes and artificial plagues, it's a very drastic situation. The idea that someone with these weapons can be contained is the real idea that's out of date. How can you contain weapons that can be disassembled, smuggled into a target country, and detonated from within? I would just love to hear an answer to that.

parados wrote:
Your case of events leading to invasion being "necessary" is logically faulty. In reality what the Bush administration did was take the LACK of evidence and used it to build its case. There was no hard evidence that supported Saddam having any chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons. There wasn't even much in the way of circumstantial evidence. There was no evidence that Saddam had plans to use these non existent weapons. There was no evidence that Saddam had plans to threaten or annex any neighboring countries. There was no evidence he had plans to vaporize cities. There was no hard evidence he had WMD. There was only a lack of confirmation that all his precursors, and possible delivery systems had been destroyed.

There is rarely evidence of plans, but this individual had tried to annex neighbors more than once, and was clearly a terribly, terribly evil man. There was indeed evidence that in the past he had had programs to develop these weapons, and had hid these programs and lied about them. Were someone like him to attain a group of these weapons and the means to make more, all of these things would be extremely realistic possibilities. Vaporizing cities is what nukes do, remember? His possible delivery systems had most certainly not been destroyed, since nuclear or biological weapons could be delivered in a suitcase or a mailed crate.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:04 pm
Quote:
Again, we had been trying for over a decade, and had he been continuing his former development programs in hiding, we might have had a finite time window of opportunity. Even a moderate probability of a monumental disaster must be considered to be very serious.
Which programs were continuing in 2003 when we invaded? There were none that I am aware of.

Quote:
It does, however indicate that he had at one time, and possibly still had, an explicit intention of developing WMD secretly while deceiving inspectors, which made him someone who ought not to be trusted. An evil dictator having WMD is a bit more serious than an individual with a drinking problem. They do not pose comparable levels of risk.
Both however show the same faulty logic.

Quote:
No one has asserted the necessity of imprisoning anyone and everyone who even mentions nukes. Some of us have asserted the necessity of resolving the issue of a terribly evil ruler striving to achieve WMD and lying about it.
A necessity that didn't require an invasion as evidenced by the present negotiation with North Korea.

Quote:
When there is a reasonable chance that someone like Saddam Hussein is continuing past efforts to create nukes and artificial plagues, it's a very drastic situation. The idea that someone with these weapons can be contained is the real idea that's out of date. How can you contain weapons that can be disassembled, smuggled into a target country, and detonated from within? I would just love to hear an answer to that.
That would be as opposed to the CERTAINTY that North Korea has nukes? The "out of date" idea is the new one being implemented in North Korea. It seems some now think it will work. Do you agree with dealing with North Korea or should we invade? (You can insert your relative standard at this point.)

Quote:
There is rarely evidence of plans, but this individual had tried to annex neighbors more than once, and was clearly a terribly, terribly evil man. There was indeed evidence that in the past he had had programs to develop these weapons, and had hid these programs and lied about them. Were someone like him to attain a group of these weapons and the means to make more, all of these things would be extremely realistic possibilities. Vaporizing cities is what nukes do, remember? His possible delivery systems had most certainly not been destroyed, since nuclear or biological weapons could be delivered in a suitcase or a mailed crate.
The scare tactic without any evidence again I see.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:23 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:
2. Saddam's long pattern of hiding evidence and obstructing inspectors doesn't lead to one choice. Again it leads to many. "Trust but verify" comes to mind. (Your arguments from 1997 were not current with the circumstances in 2003. One could as easily list Bush's drinking and driving charges from the 60's as evidence he still does it but it doesn't make it true. )

They do pose comparable levels of risk when the individual with the drinking problem has control over the world's biggest nuclear arsenal.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 09:04 pm
A Lone Voice wrote:

Nice try.

I throw out a few hundred words, and you come back with the typical loser attack. One sentence, full of venom and hate.
Satire is full of venom and hate? Since when? I do realize that many that used satire have lost; the Greeks, the Romans, the French, the British. But it hardly makes satire a "loser attack." Satire appears to have been a rather successful attack many times in history.

Please feel free to point out where there is any venom and hate in my first post. Keep in mind your first post should be judged by the same unbiased standard.
Quote:

Now you claim it was only satire?
I wrote it as satire. You are free to ignore my statements if you so wish because your feelings were hurt. It doesn't change my obvious intent.
Quote:

You think it was outlandish. Others agreed with it, didn't they?
False logic. Just because someone agrees with something doesn't make it a valid argument. Your original claim that the dems want the US military to lose in Iraq is still unsupported with any evidence.
Quote:

I think I've recognized the type of A2K troll you seem to be. A quick post here and there, belittling others and never really bringing up any original thoughts of your own. Quick to jump on the bandwagon of those who think like you, and quick to attack those you disagree with.
I don't believe I attacked you first. You accused me of breathing a sigh of relief that the attacks started up again in Iraq. A claim for which you have no basis. My response to you was merely repeating back to you your statement about forgetting how to reason. You have since then filled your posts to me with ad hominem attacks. Your claim that the dems want the military to lose in Iraq is hardly an original idea. It certainly isn't well thought out nor supported with any evidence.
Quote:

That's why people like you, if you ever came into power, scare the hell out of me. Hence, my comment about people like you putting people like me into a camp.
More ad hominem from you.
Quote:

You would have made a great Nazi Party member.
And again with the ad hominem, this time achieving Godwin's law. Congratulations.

Actually, I would have made a horrible Nazi Party member; I don't look good in brown, I'm not good with authority, and my ancestry would have prevented me from joining.

Quote:

But hey, I'm glad you finally found a dictionary. You might try using it yourself so you don't sound so illiterate... Very Happy
Another ad hominem. I think you have attacked me a hell of a lot more than I ever did you. When I posted point by point, you didn't respond to any of my points. Instead you went into an ad hominem rant.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:15 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:
Which programs were continuing in 2003 when we invaded? There were none that I am aware of.

We know that precisely because we invaded. That's the whole point.

parados wrote:
Quote:
Both however show the same faulty logic.

What faulty logic exactly? An evil dictator with a history of annexing neighbors, who had and may still have nuke and bioweapons development programs, who has in the past hidden his weapons and programs and tried to deceive inspectors, and who has already used chemical weapons on one of his own cities,is a very serious matter. We can hardly say cavalierly that he may have reformed. Should someone with this kind of history obtain these weapons, it could easily be a worldwide catastrophe.

parados wrote:
Quote:
A necessity that didn't require an invasion as evidenced by the present negotiation with North Korea.

Yes, North Korea is a representative test case. Just because we may, perhaps, finally have succeeded in buying them off in this particular case, doesn't mean that allowing awful dictators to have doomsday weapons couldn't realistically result in terrible, lethal consequences. They could either actually use the weapons, or else use knowledge of the existence of the weapons to force their will on neighbors. A nuclear Saddam Hussein could, should he wish to, re-invade Kuwait and dare anyone to interfere.

parados wrote:
Quote:
That would be as opposed to the CERTAINTY that North Korea has nukes? The "out of date" idea is the new one being implemented in North Korea. It seems some now think it will work. Do you agree with dealing with North Korea or should we invade? (You can insert your relative standard at this point.)

I don't mean to be mean, but this question reveals your lack of comprehension of the issue. Once North Korea announced actual possession of nukes, we had no further option to invade. Should we invade a nuclear power, they have the option of using the weapons. It was precisely to prevent Saddam Hussein from achieving this near invulnerability that we invaded Iraq.

parados wrote:
Quote:
The scare tactic without any evidence again I see.

When a terribly evil dictator has a history of annexing his neighbors, did actually have and may still have nuke and bioweapon programs, and has a history of hiding them, lying about them, and even using them on humans, to point out that there is a great danger is a realistic assessment, not a scare tactic. You speak as though there were no such thing as real danger. Every time someone says that we should be scared, it isn't necessarily a scare tactic. Someotimes it's the truth.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:53 pm
parados wrote:
I don't want to do Iraq in the 237th thread myself, but this is among the dumbest arguments I've seen to date. Not only were arguments from 1997 valid in 2003, the long suspension in verification made it utterly impossible for us to know much of anything... and yes, a decade in defiance of what, 17 straight resolutions most certainly constitute probable cause. If a parolee disappears for a few years, contrary to his conditions of parole, after 17 parole violations; one would be foolish to assume he was walking the straight and narrow or take his word for anything. Not quite the same thing as 4 decade old dui. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:40 am
There were inspections that were working at the time of the invasion, they could have been allowed to continue. Instead they had to leave so Bush could invade and now we have this horrible mess which could have been avoided. End of story.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:59 am
revel wrote:
There were inspections that were working at the time of the invasion, they could have been allowed to continue. Instead they had to leave so Bush could invade and now we have this horrible mess which could have been avoided. End of story.

Yes, of course your opinions are the "end of the story."

The inspections had been going on for a dozen years without producing verifiable or convincing proof, and still weren't producing verifiable or convincing proof, something Iraq could easily have supplied.

The combination of the lethality of the weapons, the evil history of Hussein, his history of hiding these programs, and the possibility that there might be a point at which such programs would be completed combined to make invasion necessary. As for the present pitched and complex battle, who told you that every worthwhile goal is easy to achieve?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:32 am
Quote:
The inspections had been going on for a dozen years without producing verifiable or convincing proof, and still weren't producing verifiable or convincing proof, something Iraq could easily have supplied.

There was plenty of proof of what was or was not there at the time of invasion. The US just chose not to believe Hans Blix, turns out Hans Blix was right.

SECURITY COUNCIL 7 MARCH 2003

Quote:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:35 am
If Hans Blix was right, then Saddam would have had no reason to keep thwarting the UN Inspectors. He would have invited them in and opened everything up and ended it right then. Why didn't he? Hmmm?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:46 am
Foxfyre wrote:
If Hans Blix was right, then Saddam would have had no reason to keep thwarting the UN Inspectors. He would have invited them in and opened everything up and ended it right then. Why didn't he? Hmmm?

NY Times: Saddam's generals believed they had WMD to repel US

Quote:
According to the Times story, Saddam Hussein wanted the world to believe he possessed WMD in order to create fear and thwart any war plans by the US. The revelation that Saddam's generals believed they would use WMD against American, British and other invading forces explains why the US military found protective gear had been issued to Iraqi soldiers. The top commanders wanted their troops protected from the WMD they intended to use.

"The Iraqi dictator was so secretive and kept information so compartmentalized that his top military leaders were stunned when he told them three months before the war that he had no weapons of mass destruction, and they were demoralized because they had counted on hidden stocks of poison gas or germ weapons for the nation's defense, " stated the New York Times on March 12.

If you read the reports from Hans Blix, Saddam was becoming more open as time and pressure built up. If we had given the inspections more time, we could have had answers to the questions we wanted without all the loss of life on all sides of the Iraq war.

Of course I know you and others who believe like you do will disagree, fine, I agree to disagree.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:06 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
parados wrote:
I don't want to do Iraq in the 237th thread myself, but this is among the dumbest arguments I've seen to date. Not only were arguments from 1997 valid in 2003, the long suspension in verification made it utterly impossible for us to know much of anything... and yes, a decade in defiance of what, 17 straight resolutions most certainly constitute probable cause. If a parolee disappears for a few years, contrary to his conditions of parole, after 17 parole violations; one would be foolish to assume he was walking the straight and narrow or take his word for anything. Not quite the same thing as 4 decade old dui. Rolling Eyes

Thanks Bill, That restaurant must be doing just fine these days... Certainly your statements from 2005 MUST be current with today's situation since you disagree with my statement that 1997 is not current with 2003.

I never said that 1997 shouldn't be considered. I said it wasn't current with 2003. We should also consider former DUI's when talking about someone's drinking and driving habits. That does not mean they are still doing it however.

The invasion was NOT necessary nor was it the only way to confirm WMD in Iraq. Even you have to see that one. It certainly wasn't necessary based on only 1997 information, otherwise the invasion would have been necessary then. It wasn't then nor was it in 2003.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:16 am
Everybody should again review just SOME of the statements, proclamations, letters, and pronouncements leading up to the invasion of Iraq.

Here's a pretty good collection on SNOPES:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:24 am
Yes. Everyone should definitely read that link that Foxfyre just posted.

Quote:
several of these quotes were offered in the course of statements that clearly indicated the speaker was decidedly against unilateral military intervention in Iraq by the U.S. Moreover, several of the quotes offered antedate the four nights of airstrikes unleashed against Iraq by U.S. and British forces during Operation Desert Fox in December 1998, after which Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen and Gen. Henry H. Shelton (chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff) announced the action had been successful in "degrad[ing] Saddam Hussein's ability to deliver chemical, biological and nuclear weapons."
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:25 am
Brandon,
I see you just repackaged your arguments and moved them around.
I responded to each of your points and you just moved your points to a different place in the discussion. You used the "evil dictator that was annexing neighbors" argument at least twice instead of answering my points. I have already pointed out that argument has no basis. It is nothing but a scare tactic that does not lead to a necessary invasion as you claimed.

I really liked this little contradiction in your argument....
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:
Yes, North Korea is a representative test case. Just because we may, perhaps, finally have succeeded in buying them off in this particular case, doesn't mean that allowing awful dictators to have doomsday weapons couldn't realistically result in terrible, lethal consequences.
Followed by this...
Quote:
I don't mean to be mean, but this question reveals your lack of comprehension of the issue. Once North Korea announced actual possession of nukes, we had no further option to invade. Should we invade a nuclear power, they have the option of using the weapons. It was precisely to prevent Saddam Hussein from achieving this near invulnerability that we invaded Iraq.

I don't mean to be mean Brandon, but aren't you directly contradicting your own argument here. First you say we had to invade Iraq because it is necessary that we not allow evil dictators to have WMD. Then you say North Korea is a test case about negotiating instead of invading which directly contradicts your claim that invasion was the ONLY option. Negotiation means there were other options. Then you say we can't invade North Korea because an evil dictator does have WMD which directly contradicts your argument that we can't allow an evil dictator to have WMD.

Not only is your argument not valid based on your own statements contradicting it. It isn't even coherent.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:42 am
All of you that are saying that there were no WMD in Iraq,let me ask something.

We know now that there were no WMD,but given Saddam's history of using WMD in the past,and given his defiance of 14 previous resolutions,what would have happened had you been wrong?

Did you really want to take that chance?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:49 am
mysteryman wrote:
All of you that are saying that there were no WMD in Iraq,let me ask something.

We know now that there were no WMD,but given Saddam's history of using WMD in the past,and given his defiance of 14 previous resolutions,what would have happened had you been wrong?

Did you really want to take that chance?

Twenty years ago, a man who lives across town killed his wife. Now he's out of prison. Shouldn't you just kill him now? I mean, do you really want to take the chance that he won't kill yours? What if you're wrong?
0 Replies