What bothers me about the Dems right now....

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:59 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
...My position is for a complete and 100% focus on space and space exploration and utilization at the soonest possible time we can focus our societal energies upon it....Cycloptichorn

Perhaps there should be a thread about this. I agree completely, but many people don't.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 09:12 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
...My position is for a complete and 100% focus on space and space exploration and utilization at the soonest possible time we can focus our societal energies upon it....Cycloptichorn

Perhaps there should be a thread about this. I agree completely, but many people don't.

That's not a new thing though. As soon as Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, some thought it was all a done deal and objected to any more resources being put into it. Reagan was excoriated by his enemies for suggesting SDI and REALLY excoriated for suggesting we develop it and give it to everybody which he theorized would end nuclear war once and for all.

Even apart from the possible practical applications, space exploration and wonderful accomplishments like the Explorers visiting distant planets and the Hubble are certainly worthwhile projects and something that make a whole lot of Americans proud. I would like to see a whole lot more of it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 09:35 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

That's not a new thing though. As soon as Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, some thought it was all a done deal and objected to any more resources being put into it. Reagan was excoriated by his enemies for suggesting SDI and REALLY excoriated for suggesting we develop it and give it to everybody which he theorized would end nuclear war once and for all.

Even apart from the possible practical applications, space exploration and wonderful accomplishments like the Explorers visiting distant planets and the Hubble are certainly worthwhile projects and something that make a whole lot of Americans proud. I would like to see a whole lot more of it.

<Hideously_off_topic>
I agree, and, specifically, I would like to see us deliberately start the process that will eventually result in us becoming a spacefaring civilization. I'd like to see, although I don't think I'll live long enough, a new age of exploration, akin to the one several centuries ago.
</Hideously_off_topic>
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 09:55 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

<Hideously_off_topic>
I agree, and, specifically, I would like to see us deliberately start the process that will eventually result in us becoming a spacefaring civilization. I'd like to see, although I don't think I'll live long enough, a new age of exploration, akin to the one several centuries ago.
</Hideously_off_topic>

Well you're right that it deserves its own thread, so I started one "Where Should Government Focus Be" HERE
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:08 am
Thank you, Foxy.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:11 pm
parados wrote:
A Lone Voice wrote:

Nice try.

I throw out a few hundred words, and you come back with the typical loser attack. One sentence, full of venom and hate.
Satire is full of venom and hate? Since when? I do realize that many that used satire have lost; the Greeks, the Romans, the French, the British. But it hardly makes satire a "loser attack." Satire appears to have been a rather successful attack many times in history.

Please feel free to point out where there is any venom and hate in my first post. Keep in mind your first post should be judged by the same unbiased standard.
Quote:

Now you claim it was only satire?
I wrote it as satire. You are free to ignore my statements if you so wish because your feelings were hurt. It doesn't change my obvious intent.
Quote:

You think it was outlandish. Others agreed with it, didn't they?
False logic. Just because someone agrees with something doesn't make it a valid argument. Your original claim that the dems want the US military to lose in Iraq is still unsupported with any evidence.
Quote:

I think I've recognized the type of A2K troll you seem to be. A quick post here and there, belittling others and never really bringing up any original thoughts of your own. Quick to jump on the bandwagon of those who think like you, and quick to attack those you disagree with.
I don't believe I attacked you first. You accused me of breathing a sigh of relief that the attacks started up again in Iraq. A claim for which you have no basis. My response to you was merely repeating back to you your statement about forgetting how to reason. You have since then filled your posts to me with ad hominem attacks. Your claim that the dems want the military to lose in Iraq is hardly an original idea. It certainly isn't well thought out nor supported with any evidence.
Quote:

That's why people like you, if you ever came into power, scare the hell out of me. Hence, my comment about people like you putting people like me into a camp.
More ad hominem from you.
Quote:

You would have made a great Nazi Party member.
And again with the ad hominem, this time achieving Godwin's law. Congratulations.

Actually, I would have made a horrible Nazi Party member; I don't look good in brown, I'm not good with authority, and my ancestry would have prevented me from joining.

Quote:

But hey, I'm glad you finally found a dictionary. You might try using it yourself so you don't sound so illiterate... Very Happy
Another ad hominem. I think you have attacked me a hell of a lot more than I ever did you. When I posted point by point, you didn't respond to any of my points. Instead you went into an ad hominem rant.

Been gone for a couple of days. Darn work stuff....

Here's the thing:

Claiming 'wit' as a reason for an attack doesn't fly.

Quote:
Thanks for the viewpoint from the pro-war and pro-killing crowd.

Now back to reality....

Lot's of opinions on this board, yet, like most of those who possess fascist thinking, you seem to believe that the only opinion that counts is yours.

Other people don't have opinions, they have 'false logic,' according to your set of beliefs.

You set the tone here. You also raise some good points. Yet your argument is lost behind your zeal to your party.

As for the rest of the thread, it looks like it has devolved into yet another 'Bush lied' discussion.

IF the military is able to get a handle on the situation in Iraq, it will be interesting to watch the dems reactions.

If there is ANY indication of success in the near future, will the dems downplay it? Will they try to turn attention away?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:42 pm
Did ALV say anything? Seems like a general criticism without any meat.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:46 pm
Quote:

Lot's of opinions on this board, yet, like most of those who possess fascist thinking, you seem to believe that the only opinion that counts is yours.

Quote:

It seems you believe yours is the only opinion that counts. :wink:

I never claimed mine was good satire but I'll stick with the 3000 year history of satire which seems to show, not only does satire fly, it often soars. History also shows that some of those skewered squirmed.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:56 am
A Lone Voice wrote:
parados wrote:
A Lone Voice wrote:

Nice try.

I throw out a few hundred words, and you come back with the typical loser attack. One sentence, full of venom and hate.
Satire is full of venom and hate? Since when? I do realize that many that used satire have lost; the Greeks, the Romans, the French, the British. But it hardly makes satire a "loser attack." Satire appears to have been a rather successful attack many times in history.

Please feel free to point out where there is any venom and hate in my first post. Keep in mind your first post should be judged by the same unbiased standard.
Quote:

Now you claim it was only satire?
I wrote it as satire. You are free to ignore my statements if you so wish because your feelings were hurt. It doesn't change my obvious intent.
Quote:

You think it was outlandish. Others agreed with it, didn't they?
False logic. Just because someone agrees with something doesn't make it a valid argument. Your original claim that the dems want the US military to lose in Iraq is still unsupported with any evidence.
Quote:

I think I've recognized the type of A2K troll you seem to be. A quick post here and there, belittling others and never really bringing up any original thoughts of your own. Quick to jump on the bandwagon of those who think like you, and quick to attack those you disagree with.
I don't believe I attacked you first. You accused me of breathing a sigh of relief that the attacks started up again in Iraq. A claim for which you have no basis. My response to you was merely repeating back to you your statement about forgetting how to reason. You have since then filled your posts to me with ad hominem attacks. Your claim that the dems want the military to lose in Iraq is hardly an original idea. It certainly isn't well thought out nor supported with any evidence.
Quote:

That's why people like you, if you ever came into power, scare the hell out of me. Hence, my comment about people like you putting people like me into a camp.
More ad hominem from you.
Quote:

You would have made a great Nazi Party member.
And again with the ad hominem, this time achieving Godwin's law. Congratulations.

Actually, I would have made a horrible Nazi Party member; I don't look good in brown, I'm not good with authority, and my ancestry would have prevented me from joining.

Quote:

But hey, I'm glad you finally found a dictionary. You might try using it yourself so you don't sound so illiterate... Very Happy
Another ad hominem. I think you have attacked me a hell of a lot more than I ever did you. When I posted point by point, you didn't respond to any of my points. Instead you went into an ad hominem rant.

Been gone for a couple of days. Darn work stuff....

Here's the thing:

Quote:
Thanks for the viewpoint from the pro-war and pro-killing crowd.

Now back to reality....

Other people don't have opinions, they have 'false logic,' according to your set of beliefs.

You set the tone here. You also raise some good points. Yet your argument is lost behind your zeal to your party.

As for the rest of the thread, it looks like it has devolved into yet another 'Bush lied' discussion.

IF the military is able to get a handle on the situation in Iraq, it will be interesting to watch the dems reactions.

If there is ANY indication of success in the near future, will the dems downplay it? Will they try to turn attention away?

If there is indication of success will the neoconservative overplay it and ignore any negative indications going on at same time?

Meanwhile, success is hard to find in Iraq.

Truck blast kills 35 at Iraqi mosque

Quote:
0 Replies