Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:11 pm
okie can't see that even today when we use our high-tech war machines like gun ships and jet planes, we end up killing innocent women and children.

okie's "idea" of who our enemy is just shows how out of touch with reality he's living. He can't see that Bush's "progress" for the past five years is the same out of touch with reality syndrome.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:13 pm
I am not sure if I am picking the best quotes for the "Bush Doctrine," as Bush has said the same thing in different words, but this from Bush on Sept. 20, 2001:

"We will pursue nations that provide aid or safe haven to terrorism. Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime."

In other words, any nation that provides safe haven or supports terrorist organizations, and this can be financial or in other ways, has essentially attacked us already, and the Bush Doctrine declares that we will defend ourselves by going after those people and nations that support those people. Some view the policy as pre-emptive, but I think this is a wrong characterization, as nations that support terrorists have attacked us already through their surrogates. Terrorists choose the methods of war, and we can only respond to them. They cannot on one hand use their surrogates, but on the other hand claim no involvement.

I think my argument here is to not advocate dropping bombs until we have established a more definite identification of what is going on first, but bombs should remain an option and a tool. We need to be educating the public in terrorist controlled areas, who the terrorists are, and who is supporting them. Remember, such people cannot operate without a cooperative culture behind them. My argument is sort of a form of what MM was pointing out. If we can truly establish that villages and areas are supporting terrorists, then perhaps we should consider educating those people as to our intentions, then perhaps the forced evacuation of those areas if the warnings don't work, followed by more severe actions, maybe a bomb to put an exclamation point to it all. I know this is a tough problem, but we cannot simply continue to allow such people to hide behind skirts and children, and in mosques, and take potshots at us, send children out with bombs strapped to their backs, and so on. I think we need to consider different and more effective tactics to combat this. And we need to keep pointing out who are really the bad people doing bad things.

I have not pinned down the exact strategies I advocate. I am simply pointing out that we need to put all options on the table and the terrrorists need to be aware of that simple fact to begin with. We need some new ideas and more effective tactics.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:17 pm
okie wrote:
I think my argument here is to not advocate dropping bombs until we have established a more definite identification of what is going on first, but bombs should remain an option and a tool. We need to be educating the public in terrorist controlled areas, who the terrorists are, and who is supporting them. Remember, such people cannot operate without a cooperative culture behind them. My argument is sort of a form of what MM was pointing out. If we can truly establish that villages and areas are supporting terrorists, then perhaps we should consider educating those people as to our intentions, then perhaps the forced evacuation of those areas if the warnings don't work, followed by more severe actions, maybe a bomb to put an exclamation point to it all. I know this is a tough problem, but we cannot simply continue to allow such people to hide behind skirts and children, and in mosques, and take potshots at us, send children out with bombs strapped to their backs, and so on. I think we need to consider different and more effective tactics to combat this. And we need to keep pointing out who are really the bad people doing bad things.

I have not pinned down the exact strategies I advocate. I am simply pointing out that we need to put all options on the table and the terrrorists need to be aware of that simple fact to begin with. We need some new ideas and more effective tactics.

One of the (not so) new ideas then would be that the USA has to invade a couple of more countries - or how do you think such "education" can be done without the consent of the respective governments?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:19 pm
The center of the terrorists orgination is now almost certainly in Pakistan. We should invade Pakistan or bomb it. Oooppss...but they have the bomb.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:20 pm
By the way, to wrap up old business here, cyclops, your apparent confirmation that Truman did the right thing by dropping the bombs apparently admits that winning wars is the best thing to do, not fight to a draw. Winning saves lives in the long run, and procures peace in the long run, at least for a few years or decades.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:22 pm
okie wrote:
By the way, to wrap up old business here, cyclops, your apparent confirmation that Truman did the right thing by dropping the bombs apparently admits that winning wars is the best thing to do, not fight to a draw. Winning saves lives in the long run, and procures peace in the long run, at least for a few years or decades.

You are completely incorrect. I never stated that Truman did the right thing by dropping the bombs, or that it justifies 'winning wars' at the cost of civilian casualties.

Cycloptichorn

on edit:

Specifically,

Quote:
admits that winning wars is the best thing to do, not fight to a draw.

This is not material to our conversation, as I don't recall anyone bringing up 'fight to a draw.' I don't agree that winning is the most important thing.

Quote:
Winning saves lives in the long run

Depends on the tactics used to win.

Quote:
and procures peace in the long run, at least for a few years or decades.

There is no guarantee of this, either.

You're getting a little ahead of yourself in your pronouncements.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:26 pm
As you guys make fun of my argument, having the Bush Doctrine does not mean we should choose to attack Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia, or anywhere else. What it does do is give fair notice to terrorists and supporting nations as to the risks they might be placing themselves in. It also proclaims our right to defend ourselves in this new type of war, which is entirely reasonable and justified. When Japan attacked us, we did not choose to attack the heart of Japan at that time. We chose our battles one by one, in the Pacific theater, and in Europe to fight their ally, Germany, each battle at a time, in a strategic manner in order to win the overall war.

The War on Terror is no different. We should pick and choose the field of battle to fight the enemy at the time and place we choose, but it is important to identify who the enemy is, and that is what the Bush Doctrine establishes.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:29 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
[
You are completely incorrect. I never stated that Truman did the right thing by dropping the bombs, or that it justifies 'winning wars' at the cost of civilian casualties.

Cycloptichorn

Okay, answer it a second time then. Did Truman do the right thing or not, and was winning the war the correct thing to do? Yes or No.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:33 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
okie wrote:

One of the (not so) new ideas then would be that the USA has to invade a couple of more countries - or how do you think such "education" can be done without the consent of the respective governments?

Walter loves to jump in with his oddball points.

Trade sanctions, with holding foreign aid, UN sanctions (despite the inability of the UN to actually do so because of the inclusion of so many rogue states), import/export tariffs, lots of ways. Do you always think that the military is the only solution Walter? Or is that how they do things over there in the GDR?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:39 pm
okie wrote:
As you guys make fun of my argument, having the Bush Doctrine does not mean we should choose to attack Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia, or anywhere else. What it does do is give fair notice to terrorists and supporting nations as to the risks they might be placing themselves in. It also proclaims our right to defend ourselves in this new type of war, which is entirely reasonable and justified.

Then maybe you could explain that a little bit more...

Do you mean that the Bush doctrine allows for pre-emptively attacking nations where terrorist can hide without too much interference from the government? Then you're obviously at the point where attacking Pakistan makes a lot of sense.

Or, do you mean that the Bush doctrine merely allows for pre-emptively attacking nations that actively support those terrorists or terrorist networks? In that case, I find it difficult to use the Bush doctrine as a reason for the invasion of Iraq.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:08 pm
old europe wrote:
okie wrote:
As you guys make fun of my argument, having the Bush Doctrine does not mean we should choose to attack Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia, or anywhere else. What it does do is give fair notice to terrorists and supporting nations as to the risks they might be placing themselves in. It also proclaims our right to defend ourselves in this new type of war, which is entirely reasonable and justified.

Do you mean that the Bush doctrine allows for pre-emptively attacking nations where terrorist can hide without too much interference from the government? Then you're obviously at the point where attacking Pakistan makes a lot of sense.

Or, do you mean that the Bush doctrine merely allows for pre-emptively attacking nations that actively support those terrorists or terrorist networks? In that case, I find it difficult to use the Bush doctrine as a reason for the invasion of Iraq.

Old Europe - the "Bush doctrine" is incomprehensible to any serious student of Vom Kriege, but here's my summary of it, made however with no representations of accuracy:

Remember the old defense doctrine of General Ailleret's "defense tous azimuts", later warmly embraced by General de Gaulle? If you do, hold onto your hat - we've come up with a new, improved version: "attaque tous azimuts".

Hope that was clear.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:16 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Walter loves to jump in with his oddball points.

Depends on how you define "always jumbs in": more than 38.400 times I did, I must confess.

McGentrix wrote:
Or is that how they do things over there in the GDR?

It will be a breaking news for you, but the GDR existed from 1949 to 1990.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
[...............

Ojection on both dates!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
High Seas wrote:
Remember the old defense doctrine of General Ailleret's "defense tous azimuts", later warmly embraced by General de Gaulle? If you do, hold onto your hat - we've come up with a new, improved version: "attaque tous azimuts".

Hope that was clear.

"Defense a toutes les azimuths" it is:wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:22 pm
High Seas wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
[...............

Ojection on both dates!

Not that it matters, but exactly why?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:23 pm
The GDR was founded on September 7, 1949 and ended on October 2/3, 1990.

(I had to look up the first date - the second [October 3] is our national holiday.)
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:52 pm
It was October to October but never mind, my point is that the fictitious entity DDR has been, and still is, represented as the entire Soviet sector (one of 4 Besatzungszonen in 1945) in the occupied German territories and therefore erroneously called "East Germany." It was no such thing and the Ostgebiete are yet to be recovered.

Btw, Walter - you would have picked up on those azimuths, navigation expert that you are! I have to go to Japan for a while, so would you mind explaining to Old Europe that the Falklands would be called Malvinas were it not for a rather elastic interpretation of the Monroe doctrine by Bush pere, so could he please back off in re doctrine of Bush fils Smile
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:54 pm
old europe wrote:
okie wrote:

I will be glad to.

First of all, pre-emptive is being used wrongly by Bush opponents. Example, if a gang member gives a hit man a bomb and tells him to place the bomb in your car, wired to the ignition, to kill your family. After the bomb goes off and kills your family, if you go shoot the gang member, is that pre-emptive? I would say obviously no. Neutralizing governments of countries that support surrogates to fight their terrorist wars, wherein those surrogates have already initiated hostile action, would not be pre-emptive in my opinion.

In the case of Pakistan, this is not so easily applied, as elements of the political structure are supportive of us to one degree or another in hunting down terror networks in Pakistan. Depending upon our best military and political analysis, we have to try to determine what is our best course of action, based on what will work best. Currently, I think our best course is supporting the elements of the Pakistani government that can aid us and help us. If the Pakistanis become more overtly defiant toward us and more overtly sympathetic to terrorist, then our policy needs to be adjusted. We do have the right to make our Bush Doctrine clear to them, and if we find out that their government is completely supporting terrorists under the table, then we will have to adjust our policy. At present time, I do not believe the Bush Doctrine justifies attacking Pakistan as that would be ludicrous, but we might be justified in attacking enclaves or areas within Pakistan, hopefully with the assistance of the Pakistani central government.

I believe my opinion is consistent with what we are doing. Of course, detracting opinions here appeal to the extremes and try to twist the Bush Doctrine into something it is not, in terms of how it is best applied.

Iraq was a mixed bag, from the threat of WMD, Hussein's longstanding standoff with the U.N., his killing of his own people, and his debatable under the table support of Al Qaida. We do know he supported terrorists, even if not Al Qaida, and we know Al Qaida found safe haven there, and may have trained there.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:13 pm
Quote:

Iraq was a mixed bag, from the threat of WMD, Hussein's longstanding standoff with the U.N., his killing of his own people, and his debatable under the table support of Al Qaida. We do know he supported terrorists, even if not Al Qaida, and we know Al Qaida found safe haven there, and may have trained there.

Of course, the threat of WMD was completely overblown. And there's no evidence that Saddam supported Al Qaeda, who would have specifically been against Saddam. So you're basically trying to justify the invasion of Iraq using a bag of crappy evidence and suspicions.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:39 pm
okie wrote:
First of all, pre-emptive is being used wrongly by Bush opponents. Example, if a gang member gives a hit man a bomb and tells him to place the bomb in your car, wired to the ignition, to kill your family. After the bomb goes off and kills your family, if you go shoot the gang member, is that pre-emptive? I would say obviously no. Neutralizing governments of countries that support surrogates to fight their terrorist wars, wherein those surrogates have already initiated hostile action, would not be pre-emptive in my opinion.

That wouldn't be pre-emptive, I agree. That's also comparable to the military intervention in Afghanistan (as Osama bin Laden was residing there at the approval of the Taliban).

okie wrote:
In the case of Pakistan, this is not so easily applied, as elements of the political structure are supportive of us to one degree or another in hunting down terror networks in Pakistan. Depending upon our best military and political analysis, we have to try to determine what is our best course of action, based on what will work best. Currently, I think our best course is supporting the elements of the Pakistani government that can aid us and help us. If the Pakistanis become more overtly defiant toward us and more overtly sympathetic to terrorist, then our policy needs to be adjusted. We do have the right to make our Bush Doctrine clear to them, and if we find out that their government is completely supporting terrorists under the table, then we will have to adjust our policy. At present time, I do not believe the Bush Doctrine justifies attacking Pakistan as that would be ludicrous, but we might be justified in attacking enclaves or areas within Pakistan, hopefully with the assistance of the Pakistani central government.

But Pakistan has nuclear weapons of mass destruction. And Pakistan is still a safe harbour for terrorists. The Pakistani government is either unable to hunt down the terrorists, especially in very difficult territory, or is too afraid of the portion of Pakistanis who is at least sympathetic to Islamic fundamentalists to do all too much about the situation. Probably a combination of both. (Musharraf would maybe like to do more about the terrorists, as he sees them as a threat to his, hrrrm, government, but on the other hand has to take a very critical position towards US policy, because otherwise the Muslim population could see him as too pro-Western and become a serious threat to his regim... government.)

okie wrote:
I believe my opinion is consistent with what we are doing. Of course, detracting opinions here appeal to the extremes and try to twist the Bush Doctrine into something it is not, in terms of how it is best applied.

Well, we still have to find a definition of the Bush Doctrine that we can all agree on, right? So, here's how Wikipedia describes it:

Quote:
The Bush Doctrine argues for a policy of pre-emptive war in cases where the U.S. or its allies are threatened by terrorists or by rogue states that are engaged in the production of weapons of mass destruction. The policy of pre-emption represents a rejection of deterrence and containment as the principal foundations of U.S. foreign policy because, it is argued, terrorists cannot be deterred in the same way as states. According to the Bush Doctrine, grave threats require a military response regardless of other countries' views. The Bush doctrine includes making reasonable efforts to include other nations in military or diplomatic actions, however in the absence of coalition partners, unilateral military action is taken against perceived threats. The policy document states that "United States has, and intends to keep, military strength beyond challenge", indicating the US intends to take actions as necessary to continue its status as the world's sole military superpower.

Do you agree with that?

okie wrote:

It was pretty clear before the invasion that Saddam didn't even have active WMD programmes - not to mention actual WMDs. We certainly don't know that Al Qaeda found safe haven in Iraq. If what you describe as Al Qaeda finding safe haven in Iraq and maybe even training there was enough to invade Iraq, then you really should ponder nuking Pakistan by now.
0 Replies