Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:02 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
You - and the author of the screed you pasted - are simply treating your thesis as a tautology - defining as "liberal" or "progressive" anyone who did anything you later define as good or beneficial. However the truth is that "progressives" - by contemporary definitions - are no more associated with good than are their "conservative" opponents.

You're wrong. Progressives are associated with progress. Sometimes this progress is good, sometimes it isn't. Conservatives are associated with the opposite.

The fact that most of the good things we have today, came from Progressive voices and minds, does not mean that progressive=good.

There is no tautology.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:20 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

As the original poster, let me ask you: who were the Conservative artists, writers, and leaders who have progressed our society and Humanity as a whole?

Which Conservatives have fought for greater human rights for everyone? Have led our society in advances in morality and ethics?

It's true that Liberals don't always get it right; but Liberals and Progressive voices have gotten it right often enough to make them the dominant force of change and progress in our society.

I like the artist angle; who are the top Conservative artists?

Cycloptichorn

Your claim is totally naive, cyclops. If you claim that conservatives never pull for change when change is the right thing to do, you are wrong on that point, and conversely, liberals are not always in favor of change. Also, change can be positive, and change can be hugely negative. Whether something is good or bad is not inherently defined according to whether it comes about from change. To back up a bit, I presume you are talking about modern liberals in America, which are not the same as people described by classic liberalism. So there are many factors that render your claims in error.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:22 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

As the original poster, let me ask you: who were the Conservative artists, writers, and leaders who have progressed our society and Humanity as a whole?

Which Conservatives have fought for greater human rights for everyone? Have led our society in advances in morality and ethics?

It's true that Liberals don't always get it right; but Liberals and Progressive voices have gotten it right often enough to make them the dominant force of change and progress in our society.

I like the artist angle; who are the top Conservative artists?

Cycloptichorn

Your claim is totally naive, cyclops. If you claim that conservatives never pull for change when change is the right thing to do, you are wrong on that point, and conversely, liberals are not always in favor of change. Also, change can be positive, and change can be hugely negative. Whether something is good or bad is not inherently defined according to whether it comes about from change. To back up a bit, I presume you are talking about modern liberals in America, which are not the same as people described by classic liberalism. So there are many factors that render your claims in error.

You're 100% wrong(especially in your presumption - you apparently didn't read the original piece), and what more, failed to answer the question:

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:28 pm
I don't have alot of interest in even dignifying your claims here by entering into an argument over this, because you have a pre-conceived fallacy that you will not let go of.

But I would much rather admire a Ronald Reagan than a Bill Clinton, and I think Mr Reagan is far more admired and respected, because he accomplished something, he stood for something, one being he took a stand to help end the Wall for one small thing. The Wall, Mr. Cyclops, which is a symbol of the totalitarian rulers under which millions of people died.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:29 pm
okie wrote:
I don't have alot of interest in even dignifying your claims here by entering into an argument over this, because you have a pre-conceived fallacy that you will not let go of.

But I would much rather admire a Ronald Reagan than a Bill Clinton, and I think Mr Reagan is far more admired and respected, because he accomplished something, he stood for something, one being he took a stand to help end of the wall for one small thing. The wall, Mr. Cyclops, which is an icon of the totalitarian rulers under which millions of people died.

How quickly you slip into dishonest argumentation when you can't answer a simple question.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:30 pm
You asked for an example. I gave you one.

I would point out that tearing down the wall was change, not conserving something, but it was encouraged by a conservative.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:35 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
You - and the author of the screed you pasted - are simply treating your thesis as a tautology - defining as "liberal" or "progressive" anyone who did anything you later define as good or beneficial. However the truth is that "progressives" - by contemporary definitions - are no more associated with good than are their "conservative" opponents.

You're wrong. Progressives are associated with progress. Sometimes this progress is good, sometimes it isn't. Conservatives are associated with the opposite.

The fact that most of the good things we have today, came from Progressive voices and minds, does not mean that progressive=good.

There is a very serious contradictionn imbedded in the above statements.

Self-styled "progressives" (their opponents usually don't call them that) are historically associated with what they claim as progress. As you noted, it often doesn't work out that way.

To the extent that all the "good" things in our world are the result of the actions of such progressives, then it is inexorably true by precisely the same logic, that all the "bad" things are also the result of the actions of "progressives.

You can't have it both ways.

Cycloptichorn[/quote]
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:37 pm
okie wrote:
You asked for an example. I gave you one.

I would point out that tearing down the wall was change, not conserving something, but it was encouraged by a conservative.

I don't disagree that Conservatives effect change from time to time; even the war in Iraq is effecting change of one form or another.

I would point out that Reagan spoke about tearing down the wall out of political advantage - while German Progressives did the actual tearing.

Maybe Thomas can tell us more about this particular example...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:41 pm
Quote:

To the extent that all the "good" things in our world are the result of the actions of such progressives, then it is inexorably true by precisely the same logic, that all the "bad" things are also the result of the actions of "progressives.

Not necessarily.

Let us posit that the natural human state is not one in which rights are respected, according to certain divisions between people's thoughts, beliefs, orientations, and physical condition.

Each movement towards granting equal rights towards others has been a sign of progress in our society. Not all attempts to progress society work equally well or end up with good outcomes. Many of the complaints listed (Nazis, Mao etc) were never attempts to progress society at all, but only power grabs by those claiming to do so.

As it stands, over the last several centuries (and to an extent before that) all the work done towards equality, in law and in culture, has been undertaken by Progressives. Virtually none of it has been championed by Conservatives.

Rather then attack this, I challenge you or Okie to provide specific examples that counter it. I am more than prepared to admit that I am incorrect if you can show several examples of Conservatives working for equality for all peoples - and I do mean truly working for such things.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:47 pm
To repeat, tearing down the Wall was progress, cyclops, but it wasn't done by so-called "progressives." Or if it was helped by German progressives, the term was not used in the same context as American liberals use it now. American liberals love to call themselves that, but it has little to do with actual progress.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:50 pm
okie wrote:
To repeat, tearing down the Wall was progress, cyclops, but it wasn't done by so-called "progressives." Liberals love to call themselves that, but it has little to do with actual progress.

Yes, and Reagan didn't go and personally tear down anything. He voiced support for those who did - the Progressive people of Germany.

Are you claiming that Reagan tore down the wall himself? It seems you've bought into the hype about him just a little too much.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:56 pm
Yes, I loved Ronald Reagan, because first of all, he gave great speeches and inspired positive feelings and actions. He believed in America and its great traditions of freedom of opportunity and everything else, unlike modern liberals. He believed in high ideals and he communicated those ideals. He stood for something.

As far as limiting government or making it smaller as he gave lip service to, it didn't happen because the Democratic Congress wouldh't let him for one big reason.

Modern liberals inspire nothing in me but total disgust. All they do is run down the country and the people that are the producers.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:59 pm
okie wrote:
Yes, I loved Ronald Reagan, because first of all, he gave great speeches and inspired positive feelings and actions. He believed in America and its great traditions of freedom of opportunity and everything else, unlike modern liberals. He believed in high ideals and he communicated those ideals. He stood for something.

As far as limiting government or making it smaller as he gave lip service to, it didn't happen because the Democratic Congress wouldh't let him for one big reason.

Modern liberals inspire nothing in me but total disgust. All they do is run down the country and the people that are the producers.

None of what you've written here is at all material to the conversation we're having.

To you, the 'liberal' is a catch-all demon. Tell me - I'm a modern Liberal. Do I inspire nothing in you but total disgust?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:59 pm
Romney will never get my vote.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 05:03 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
[
To you, the 'liberal' is a catch-all demon. Tell me - I'm a modern Liberal. Do I inspire nothing in you but total disgust?

Cycloptichorn

I admit you are one of my favorite liberals. You will discuss an issue in a civil way. But yes, many of your views are tainted with negativism toward the the greatness of what this country stands for, and the institutions that are positive. So, I am often disgusted by your opinions. Not always but commonly. But I think there is hope for you.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 05:10 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
[

Cycloptichorn

I admit you are one of my favorite liberals. You will discuss an issue in a civil way. But yes, many of your views are tainted with negativism toward the the greatness of what this country stands for, and the institutions that are positive. So, I am often disgusted by your opinions. Not always but commonly. But I think there is hope for you.

There's a flip-side to everything. I don't think there is much of anything in this world that is all good or all bad; there are many different ways to view the same situation. There are many negative things that are involved with the way we traditionally do things here in America.

Does that mean that America sucks, or that those traditions suck? Hell No! America rocks. But we need to be continually vigilant to:

1, protect that rockage from corruption brought on by individual greed and personality, and

2, expand that rockage to include ultimate rockage for all, as soon as possible.

I seek to learn from the lessons of the past and apply them to the future. For example, many times I discuss the problems with Capitalism; but does that mean that we can't learn good lessons from it, and use those lessons to improve everyone's life in the future? Nope! The exact opposite is true.

I think that if you look at the reason America is so great, it's because so many of the different ways of life, from different countries around the world, have been picked over and assimiliated and used by the Americans. When they chose the Rep. Republic, they were picking and choosing the best parts of ancient Greek society, for example.

In the future, we will look at the past in America, and decide what worked well and what didn't. That's the Progressive way. To say that we don't have the power to change/shouldn't change, is the Conservative way. The two are both necessary for society to exist, but one has lead to far more advances in ethics, morals, governance, and equality than the other.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:33 pm
Please don't forget about the American People, as some on this thread would have us believe Bush is still doing a good job as president.
President Bush: Job Ratings

NBC News/Wall Street Journal Poll conducted by the polling organizations of Peter Hart (D) and Neil Newhouse (R). June 8-11, 2007. N=1,008 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.1.
RV = registered voters. LV = likely voters. Except where noted, results below are among all adults.

"In general, do you approve or disapprove of the job that George W. Bush is doing as president?"

............ Approve....Disapprove....Unsure
...................%................%..............%
Dates
6/8-11/07... 29.............. 66.............. 5
4/20-23/07..35.............. 60.............. 5
3/2-5/07..... 35.............. 60.............. 5
1/17-20/07.. 35.............. 60............. 5
12/8-11/06.. 34.............. 61............. 5
10/28-30/06. 39............. 57............. 4
10/13-16/06..38............. 57............. 5
9/30-10/2/06.39............ 56............... 5
9/8-11/06.... 42............. 53.............. 5
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:46 pm
Imposter, why don't you post the ratings for Congress, plus for Pelosi and Reid?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:06 pm
okie, I'm not your gofer; do it yourself.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:16 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
In the future, we will look at the past in America, and decide what worked well and what didn't. That's the Progressive way. To say that we don't have the power to change/shouldn't change, is the Conservative way. The two are both necessary for society to exist, but one has lead to far more advances in ethics, morals, governance, and equality than the other.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

The way I see it, freedom without responsibility is doomed to fail. The most important ingredient to fill the framework of a good political system is a moral culture. Without it, it is a slippery slope. I believe cultures and nations are somewhat cyclical. I hope we are not on the downward slope of our peak. I don't know for sure, but I fear we might be.

I think you are dead wrong about the Conservative way not seeking change. It depends upon what issue you are talking about. As a conservative, I would love to bring drastic change to government, to education, to the tax system, to campaign law, to immigration, and many other things. Liberals hang on to their bastions of strength that they think serves their interests, such as the status quo for education, unions, the tax system, etc.

Conservatives also obviously look to the past and see what worked well and what didn't. To say that Liberals do that, vs Conservatives, is nonsense, cyclops. You are describing a conservative as one that tries to "conserve" everything no matter what it is, and a Liberal as trying to change only the bad things. Where do you get these ideas anyway? Have you been fed this from books or do you do any original thinking?

I think you need to rethink your views and examine them alot closer.
0 Replies