Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

dyslexia

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:20 pm
revel wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
old europe wrote:
I admire the fact that you managed to put these two paragraphs in one and the same post:

Foxfyre wrote:
I do not fault him for his reasons for the war in Iraq. He and his military advisors made a serious mistake in bending to political correctness pressures from the Left. They should have gone in with overwhelming force and completed the job quickly and efficiently. They didn't, but it was their methodology, not their motives that are questionable.

Foxfyre wrote:
President Bush is a man of principle and conviction and, unlike the average run of the mill politicians, he is not as subject to being swayed by political expediency or the public opinion pushed in the headlines that morning. People who appreciate honesty in their elected officials admire that.

And the point is that you cannot even see the contradiction in what you're saying. You're the anthropomorphic personification of a neoconservative voter.

Baloney. There is absolutely no contradiction of any kind in the two statements.

I'll try to show you the contradiction, foxfyre.

In the second paragraph you said that Bush does not bow to pressure or "not as subject to being swayed by political expediency."

In the first paragraph you said," He and his military advisors made a serious mistake in bending to political correctness pressures from the Left."

You can't have it both ways, either he is "not subject to being swayed by political expediency" therefore the decision to not go in full force is all his own and not the left. Or he does bow to political expediency and the reason he didn't go in full force was because of the political "pressure of the left."

In any case, you are wrong on all counts, Rumfeld wanted to go in with his vision of a lean mean military and also Bush and his advisors ignored US intelligence warning about how hard the fall out from the ousting of Saddam Hussein would be. (Numerous links have been left to that effect)

It's really quite a simple explanation revel, the liberals forced Bush into making those mistakes as well as not allowing overwhelming force to be used and had nothing to do with the Powell vs Rumsfeld doctrines. Any possible mistake made by the Bush admin is due to liberal bullies.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:26 pm
old europe wrote:

Let me answer your question with another question in response: is every action a nation takes completely legal until a court rules otherwise? For example, was the Iran-Iraq war legal? Was the North Korean attack on South Korea legal, because no court ruled otherwise? Was the Bosnian genocide legal? Did Russia have the right to invade Afghanistan?

Or does a violation of an international treaty to which the nation is party not matter because no court rules on it? Does Iran have the right to produce nuclear weapons in violation of UN resolutions? Does Syria have the right to invade Israel?

I believe both the question and the answer above are meaningless. There is no system of law which governs the actions of sovereign nations. True there are treaties in abundance in which nations pledge to adhere to this or that primciple in the governance of their affairs, and in some cases there are even courts of arbitration which they created and use to settle minor differences among them. However, there is no system of compulsory law to which they are subject - except that to which they voluntarily accept for themselves. Moreover whatever acceptance is given can be withdrawn at will. There are no courts of compulsory jurisdiction for all the nations in the world and there is no power able to enforce its will over all of them.

One could of course argue that the U.S. intervention in Iraq was a violation of this or that Security Council tresolution. However that argument quicjkly becomes a bit thorny and subject to different, but arguable interpretations. Apparently is is much easier for critics to blithely assert that "the war is illegal", without specific reference to what in nfact may have been violated, whether it constitutes law, and whether there is a court to establish findingsd of fact. Such assertions don't merit a serious response.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:30 pm
Here's a great video that outlines the "progress" that's been made in Iraq.

0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:35 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
For almost the entirety of human history, wars have been fought merely because one side wanted something the other side had.

You don't really know that, Brandon, but for the last couple of millennia, your assumption might very well be vastly accurate. And for about the same amount of time, female genital mutilation, slavery, prostitution, abortion and a number of other things have existed. I don't know why you thought it should be mentioned here, though.

Brandon9000 wrote:
This war was motivated by self-defense

No, it wasn't. Your support of the war was motivated by your fear of an Iraqi attack with nuclear weapons, brought to America by terrorists.

That threat didn't exist. In fact, Iraq posed no threat to America at all. Therefore, the American invasion of Iraq only qualifies as self-defence in the sense that the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan did.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Any country which gives the international community veto power on its use of its military is foolish in the extreme.

There is no such thing as a "veto power of the international community" over any country's use of the military. There are, however, international treaties, and the America has signed quite a few.

You seem to assume that a party to these treaties should be allowed to break them whenever this seems to be favourable towards its goals.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:48 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I believe both the question and the answer above are meaningless. There is no system of law which governs the actions of sovereign nations. True there are treaties in abundance in which nations pledge to adhere to this or that primciple in the governance of their affairs, and in some cases there are even courts of arbitration which they created and use to settle minor differences among them. However, there is no system of compulsory law to which they are subject - except that to which they voluntarily accept for themselves. Moreover whatever acceptance is given can be withdrawn at will. There are no courts of compulsory jurisdiction for all the nations in the world and there is no power able to enforce its will over all of them.

I see why you would make such an argument, georgeob1, coming from a military and economic superpower that essentially came out of Cold War as the winner. America, like many other nations, has entered into treaties when it seemed favourable towards her goals and has broken them when it became too menial to follow the regulations those treaties set out.

It might be a largely philosophical point of few, but for someone coming from a union of 27 sovereign nations that have entered into a multitude of treaties, sometimes giving up a good deal of of sovereignty, people here rather seem to have benefited from being trustworthy partners to international treaties.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:59 pm
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:
[And still, America had no UN mandate to go into Iraq. If you are reasoning that because of the UN resolutions against Iraq, America was somehow justified to unilaterally invade Iraq, then it would be just as reasonable to assume that Russia would be equally allowed to invade Israel because of the UN resolutions condemning Israel for its actions.

That's some retarded reasoning there.

Why exactly, McGentrix?

Why? Because the 2 have nothing to do with one another. Simply having UN resolutions against one thing or another does not allow an invasion. Rather it's the substance of the resolutions and what led to them. Your stupid comparison doesn't take into account the first gulf war and what took place after it regarding various warnings and resolutions.

Your comparison has no reasoning behind it and is nothing but a retarded effort to make a point.

Certainly those two things are not related. And certainly you know the meaning of the word "comparison".

It is true that the mere existence of UN resolutions against a country doesn't allow for an invasion by a third party. There was no resolution giving anyone a mandate to invade Israel. There was no resolution giving anyone a mandate to invade Iraq (even though Colin Powell asked for one). In that regard, both situations are very comparable.

I know that you favour the reasoning in one case, because it supports your point of view, and you oppose the same reasoning in the other case, because your particular point of view doesn't e.g. allow for the existence of Israeli war crimes.

Your very personal moral justification of the war might be supported by the Gulf War or previous UN resolutions. That doesn't change the fact that America had no UN mandate to go into Iraq.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 01:19 pm
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:
[And still, America had no UN mandate to go into Iraq. If you are reasoning that because of the UN resolutions against Iraq, America was somehow justified to unilaterally invade Iraq, then it would be just as reasonable to assume that Russia would be equally allowed to invade Israel because of the UN resolutions condemning Israel for its actions.

That's some retarded reasoning there.

Why exactly, McGentrix?

Why? Because the 2 have nothing to do with one another. Simply having UN resolutions against one thing or another does not allow an invasion. Rather it's the substance of the resolutions and what led to them. Your stupid comparison doesn't take into account the first gulf war and what took place after it regarding various warnings and resolutions.

Your comparison has no reasoning behind it and is nothing but a retarded effort to make a point.

Certainly those two things are not related. And certainly you know the meaning of the word "comparison".

It is true that the mere existence of UN resolutions against a country doesn't allow for an invasion by a third party. There was no resolution giving anyone a mandate to invade Israel. There was no resolution giving anyone a mandate to invade Iraq (even though Colin Powell asked for one). In that regard, both situations are very comparable.

I know that you favour the reasoning in one case, because it supports your point of view, and you oppose the same reasoning in the other case, because your particular point of view doesn't e.g. allow for the existence of Israeli war crimes.

Your very personal moral justification of the war might be supported by the Gulf War or previous UN resolutions. That doesn't change the fact that America had no UN mandate to go into Iraq.

apples and tires are both round too, so I suppose a comparison could be made there to. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 01:29 pm
McGentrix wrote:
apples and tires are both round too, so I suppose a comparison could be made there to. Rolling Eyes

I see that you don't really care about discussing the subject. On the one hand, you make a big deal of UN resolutions against Saddam as a justification for the American invasion of Iraq. On the other hand, you manage to completely ignore the fact that Colin Powell asked for a UN mandate to invade and didn't get one.

Your unwillingness to discuss that hypocrisy is understandable.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 01:40 pm
Legally, we didn't need an additional UN resolution, though it would have been nice to have. Previous UN Resolutions, as outlined in the AUMF worked just fine to skirt the legalities.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 01:57 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Legally, we didn't need an additional UN resolution, though it would have been nice to have. Previous UN Resolutions, as outlined in the AUMF worked just fine to skirt the legalities.

No, it would not "have been nice". It would have been the basis for military action. The previous resolutions - even Resolution 1441 - did not contain language that made a military intervention a foregone conclusion. Actually, Iraq was not even a materially breaching Resolution 1441, and post-war it turned out that none of the accusations Powell levelled at Iraq turned out to be true.

I can only read your statement as "Might Makes Right", which nicely sums up the philosophy of the neoconservative movement.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:08 pm
revel wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
old europe wrote:
I admire the fact that you managed to put these two paragraphs in one and the same post:

Foxfyre wrote:
I do not fault him for his reasons for the war in Iraq. He and his military advisors made a serious mistake in bending to political correctness pressures from the Left. They should have gone in with overwhelming force and completed the job quickly and efficiently. They didn't, but it was their methodology, not their motives that are questionable.

Foxfyre wrote:
President Bush is a man of principle and conviction and, unlike the average run of the mill politicians, he is not as subject to being swayed by political expediency or the public opinion pushed in the headlines that morning. People who appreciate honesty in their elected officials admire that.

And the point is that you cannot even see the contradiction in what you're saying. You're the anthropomorphic personification of a neoconservative voter.

Baloney. There is absolutely no contradiction of any kind in the two statements.

I'll try to show you the contradiction, foxfyre.

In the second paragraph you said that Bush does not bow to pressure or "not as subject to being swayed by political expediency."

There is a huge difference between "not bowing to pressure" and "not being as subject to being swayed by political expediency." So OE phrased it as he wished I had said it so that he could attack it more easily. This is a typical Left wingnut tactic of which the Left wingnuts seem incapable of seeing as being blatantly dishonest.

Quote:
In the first paragraph you said," He and his military advisors made a serious mistake in bending to political correctness pressures from the Left."
Yes I did. It is a mistake that both he and his military advisors at that time have admitted.

Quote:
You can't have it both ways, either he is "not subject to being swayed by political expediency" therefore the decision to not go in full force is all his own and not the left. Or he does bow to political expediency and the reason he didn't go in full force was because of the political "pressure of the left."

I can absolutely have it as it was. And here is what was:

He made no campaign promises regarding Iraq and, not being a military tactician, he was obligated to depend on the counsel of those who were. The decision to do it surgically neat and clean as it was done was specificially to reduce both loss of life on both sides and to appease the critics who think any death that occurs in war is an atrocity. (The same people of course had no problem with the 50,000 or so that we starved and neglected to death in the prior 12 years.) True conservatives would have gone in with overwhelming force, leveled all enemies no matter how much the liberals howled, won the war, mopped up, and gone home. The President erred in going with a 'liberal-planned war' instead of a conservative one.

He made a lot of campaign statements regarding stem cell research, right to life, faith based initiatives, NCLB, etc. etc. etc. and he has not wavered on any of these. There is no way anybody can accuse him of changing his convictions out of political expediency on any of those. I know its almost unheard of among liberals, but this President actually keeps his promises and does what he says he will do.

I did not make a blanket statement that GWB is a giant among men impervious to public opinion. He is a human being with strengths and weaknesses and occasional feet of clay as all other human beings have. I demand perfection of no person, not even a President of a different party, unlike the Left wingnuts who apply impossible standards only to somebody not in their own party.

The man is a man of conviction and the very few occasions in which he has yielded to public opinion can be counted on far fewer fingers than are found on one hand.

Quote:
In any case, you are wrong on all counts, Rumfeld wanted to go in with his vision of a lean mean military and also Bush and his advisors ignored US intelligence warning about how hard the fall out from the ousting of Saddam Hussein would be. (Numerous links have been left to that effect.

You need to read more dear. It is true that there was not universal agreement on how to conduct the initial invasion, but there was sufficient consensus and the President went with the majority view that included his Secretary of Defense and the military commanders who would be in the field. And yes there were misjudgments and there were huge mistakes aplenty as there has been in EVERY war, even those orchestrated by your beloved Clinton.

And now we have a choice. Cut and run and admit defeat to the terrorists. Or get behind the President and the troops and encourage them to get in there and win this thing and get it over with. Stop tying his hands and armchair quarterbacking every decision. And criticize a media that refuses to show any successes or plays them down as unimportant trivia.

I think I do not want a Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces who would bow to the advice of several million armchair quarterbacks who don't have a clue what they are talking about but if it makes Bush look bad, it looks good to them.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:13 pm
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

No, it would not "have been nice". It would have been the basis for military action. The previous resolutions - even Resolution 1441 - did not contain language that made a military intervention a foregone conclusion. Actually, Iraq was not even a materially breaching Resolution 1441, and post-war it turned out that none of the accusations Powell levelled at Iraq turned out to be true.

I can only read your statement as "Might Makes Right", which nicely sums up the philosophy of the neoconservative movement.

No, I think you read my statements and then translate them to mean whatever it is you feel they should say instead of what they do.

You can find the text of the AUMF here.

Quote:
Whereas United Nations Security Council Resolution 678 (1990) authorizes
the use of all necessary means to enforce United Nations Security
Council Resolution 660 (1990) and subsequent relevant resolutions
and to compel Iraq to cease certain activities that threaten
international peace and security, including the development of
weapons of mass destruction and refusal or obstruction of United
Nations weapons inspections in violation of United Nations Security
Council Resolution 687 (1991), repression of its civilian population
in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 688
(1991), and threatening its neighbors or United Nations operations
in Iraq in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution
949 (1994);

Whereas in the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq
Resolution (Public Law 102-1), Congress has authorized the President
``to use United States Armed Forces pursuant to United Nations
Security Council Resolution 678 (1990) in order to achieve
implementation of Security Council Resolution 660, 661, 662, 664,
665, 666, 667, 669, 670, 674, and 677'';

You don't like Bush or America, so you believe the war is illegal when it is clearly not. If America has one thing for sure, it is an abundance of lawyers. They seem to understand what is legal and what is not.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:21 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
And criticize a media that refuses to show any successes or plays them down as unimportant trivia.

You get such a sanitized version of everything to do with American foreign policy that you're unable to think. Thinking involves critical analysis. That is out of the question for you and those like you.

You get your head so filled with lie after lie about what your country is and what it does, that it's impossible for you to formulate any sensible notion of reality.

Here's the "success" that is Iraq.

"Iraq: The Hidden Story"

http://hardline.wordpress.com/2007/02/16/awesome-video-about-things-on-the-ground-in-iraq/
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:32 pm
McGentrix wrote:
No, I think you read my statements and then translate them to mean whatever it is you feel they should say instead of what they do.

Try to focus. We were talking about a UN mandate, not about the AUMF. You stated that the American invasion was justified by the previous UN resolutions. This belief was not shared by the United Nations.

It is interesting, in an anecdotal kind of way, that the AUMF by an American Congress concedes to an American president the power for America to invade another country. However, it is immaterial to the legality of an invasion as far as the United Nations are concerned.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:35 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
So OE phrased it as he wished I had said it so that he could attack it more easily. This is a typical Left wingnut tactic of which the Left wingnuts seem incapable of seeing as being blatantly dishonest.

Please point out exactly where I phrased something differently in the post where I quoted you.

I expect to you state precisely where I changed your statement or quoted it out of context, or otherwise a withdrawal of your accusation.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:44 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
So OE phrased it as he wished I had said it so that he could attack it more easily. This is a typical Left wingnut tactic of which the Left wingnuts seem incapable of seeing as being blatantly dishonest.

Please point out exactly where I phrased something differently in the post where I quoted you.

I expect to you state precisely where I changed your statement or quoted it out of context, or otherwise a withdrawal of your accusation.

I will recant my statement that you reworded my statement this time, as you did not actually rephrase what I said in this particular line of discussion. But I will refer you to your post, re-posted by Revel, and your assertion that I was contradicting myself while stating this was the personification of a neocon. You cannot show where I contradicted myself in any way in the post you referenced, but you call it a contradiction so you can it attack it--or more precisely, attack me.

How about you retracting that?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:48 pm
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Try to focus. We were talking about a UN mandate, not about the AUMF. You stated that the American invasion was justified by the previous UN resolutions. This belief was not shared by the United Nations.

It is interesting, in an anecdotal kind of way, that the AUMF by an American Congress concedes to an American president the power for America to invade another country. However, it is immaterial to the legality of an invasion as far as the United Nations are concerned.

How can you say that and completely ignore the UN resolution that McG quoted? And where is the UN resolution critical of what the US ultimately did?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:51 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

How can you say that and completely ignore the UN resolution that McG quoted? And where is the UN resolution critical of what the US ultimately did?

McG quoted the " AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF MILITARY FORCE AGAINST IRAQ RESOLUTION OF 2002" above - or do you refer to another of his quotes?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:55 pm
McG included the Resolution number in his quote, Walter. You can look it up as easily as I can.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:57 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
McG included the Resolution number in his quote, Walter. You can look it up as easily as I can.

Certainly. But that wasn't you previously said.
0 Replies