A2K Fanstasy Baseball 2007

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 02:10 pm
No, no, George. Don't do that. The standings are after only one game on Sunday. This will settle down in a few days. I am sure it can all be explained by JP et all. Be patient, please.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 04:28 pm
I assume the rules are like last year so I'll explain.

Each one of us has a weekly rival. There are different categories in which you can win each week. You win a point if your team total is higher than your rival's at the end of the week, lower for those "negative stats" like caught stealing and grounded into double play. The team with the most points at the end of the week earns a win and the standings change accordingly, with total points being a tie breaker.

The score can and will fluctuate as the week progresses mostly because not all players (specially pitchers) will play everyday so it's not so strange that a team puts on an early lead and maintain it until the last day only to see it reversed.

Today's score of 4-0 between the Nabobs and the Rockheads is solely Carlos Beltran's fault as he is the only player out of the two teams that got to play on Sunday. In total he had 1H, 1R, 1RBI and a.250 AVG. Those are 4 categories in which the Rockheads have a higher total than the Nabobs, but that will change with today's performances.

You can check the weekly stats by player and in total by clicking the Matchup link at the right of where the temporary scores are shown on the main page.

It'd be a pity to lose a player so soon.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 05:24 pm
George, don't go!!

Dunno if this link will work for you but this is a link to your matchup (you can also get to it from your team page): http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/28803/matchup?week=1&mid1=2&mid2=1

Currently, I'm beating Caught Looking, but the week is young so things are sure to change.

Code:*Batting*
Team R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB K GIDP
The Boston Puppies 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -
Caught Looking 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -
*Pitching*
GS IP W L CG SHO SV HR BB K ERA WHIP
The Boston Puppies 0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 2.00
Caught Looking 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - -
*Score*
The Boston Puppies 3
Caught Looking 0

Under Batting, the stat categories are:
Runs
Hits
Doubles
Triples
Homers
RBIs
Stolen Bases
Caught Stealing
Walks
Strikeouts
Ground into double play
Average

Under Pitching, these are the stat categories:
Games Started
Innings Pitched
Wins
Losses
Complete Games
Shutouts
Saves
Home runs hit off pitchers
Walks given up
Strikeouts
Earned Run Average
Walks and Hits per Innings Pitched

Right now, since it's so early, neither of us have any hitting stats and in pitching, I have, heh 1.0 innings pitched, a 0.00 ERA and a 2.00 WHIP. All of these are thanks to Billy Wagner.

Tonight, once the games are done, JP (my opponent for the week) and I will start to see more stats and then it'll get a lot more interesting.

Right now, you're playing the Rockheads, and so far it's very early and there's nearly no scoring. There are 24 stats so no one can do better than 24-0 for the week (it's cumulative stats combined at the end of the week) but I don't think I've ever seen a shutout. Then, you and your opponent move onto different opponents.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 05:43 pm
Ha, Ha. Tico has a pitcher who today has an ERA of 63. I say 63, Meaning that if he had pitched all nine innings at the same rate, he would have allowed 63 runs. Ha, Ha.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 06:45 pm
George, it does take a bit to understand the game. At the beginning of my first season, in 2004, I didn't know why my team was going up or down. After a while, looking at the match-ups and standings, I got the point. It became a fun roller-coaster.
Be patient and you shall be rewarded.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 06:47 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
Ha, Ha. Tico has a pitcher who today has an ERA of 63. I say 63, Meaning that if he had pitched all nine innings at the same rate, he would have allowed 63 runs. Ha, Ha.

Tico got so angry, he dropped him inmediatly... and got another aging Cuban.

... And, as a matter of fact, George, you should be doing a lot better today: you got Felix Hernandez.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:15 am
Felix is a former Puppy; he did pretty well for me last year.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:58 am
George, if you have any more wuestions, just ask. I don't mind anwering them at all. And remember, the baseball season is a marathin, not a sprint.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:14 am
As far as doing something... if you go to your "My Team" link, you will see all your available players. Look to the right of their name for an opponent to see if they are playing that day. Today for example you have 7 defensive players (ie. not pitchers) that are playing a game. I have highlighted them in the image below:

http://www.onthefritz.us/picture.jpg

The first six on the list are already assigned to a position. So if they aquire stats for today )get a hit, RBI, stolen base, etc.) you will earn points towards the weekly matchup. If you have more hits, RBI, stolen bases than your opponent for the week, you earn one point for each category.

Now, the seventh player on that list, Willy Taveras, is currently on your bench. So you will not get credit for the work that he does in todays game, unless you assign him to a position. He is an out fielder and if you look higher up on the list, Manny Ramirez is also an out fielder but is not playing in a game today. So, all you would do is bench Ramirez for the day and and change Taveras to an OF position for the day. This is all done on your "My Team" page. If you need a more detailed explanation please feel free to ask.

Pitchers are just a little bit different. If you look back at the image, you will see that 5 of your pitchers have opponents next to them. However, since pitchers do not pitch every game, your starting pitchers (SP) will be designated with an asterisk * next to their name on days they are scheduled to pitch. Relief pitchers (RP) are hit or miss. You never really know when they are going to pitch so it is best to have your RP slots active all the time, just in case.

Hope this helps, George.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:54 am
Yes, it does.
Many thanks.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:50 pm
You can, George, set your lineup many, many days in advance and not have to look at it again. But if a game gets rained out that can screw things up, particularly with regard to starting pitchers.
I only go out two or three days ahead but I have entirely too much time on my hands.
You will also see yellow or yellow/red icons next to some of your players' names. That means that there is "news" about that player. On my computer, if I click on that, a little box appears at the bottom right corner: "http and the start of his name." Click on that to see the news. Usually it is a fluff piece about how he did yesterday but sometimes it will report on some minor injury. Again, though, you don't need to monitor this thing all that closely.
I checked out the yellow icons on your roster, There was nothing of significance. You are doing well.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:06 pm
And this before I throw this sheet of paper away...Johnboy turns his baseball cap around backwards and screams to the sky "I'm #19,494!"

That is where I finished in the CBS NCAA B-Ball thingee. I don't know how many folks played, but I was ranked at 200,000 at one point so I did finish in the top 10%. There ended up being, amazingly, only one winner. That person's screen name was something like "amish1974." There is a story there.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:07 pm
By the way... I was mistaken about starting pitching, It isn't an asterisk it is a carrot ^ next to the name that denotes a scheduled start.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:54 pm
fbaezer wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:

Tico got so angry, he dropped him inmediatly... and got another aging Cuban.

... And, as a matter of fact, George, you should be doing a lot better today: you got Felix Hernandez.

Yeah, in fact, I might have dropped him while he was still pitching! On the other hand, my new aging Cuban did quite nicely today. Very Happy

George: It looks like you got it figured out.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 06:48 am
Ticomaya wrote:
...George: It looks like you got it figured out.

This will never be a true statement.
But I've enough info to be getting on with.
Thanks all, especially jp.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 02:23 pm
Get Your Programs Here...I had forgotten which teams are managed by whom. Here is the list:
jpinmilw ... Caught Looking
jespah ... The Boston Puppies
fbaezer ... Sodom Salt Statues
ticomaya ... Ticomaniacs
Jon (tico's friend) ... Flappin Pancakes
realjohnboy --- Rappin Rednecks
pantalones ... High Strung Hippies
cycloptichorn ... Cycloteam
george ... The Nattering Nabobs
jp's brother ... River City Rockheads

Two House Keeping Notes:

I am finding the method for changing my line-up cumbersome and confusing. While in the Edit Line-up mode you can look to the right and change the method from Drop and Drag (or is it Drag and Drop) to what they call the Classic method, which is the way it was done last year. I am finding it easier to do that.

Also, I remind you that, when you are in the League function, there is a choice called Head To Head stats. Play around with that and you can see how your team stacks up against the other nine in any of the categories.

The Ticomaniacs (8) and the Rednecks (11) will combine to have a total of seven starting pichers today and tomorrow!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 05:55 am
realjohnboy wrote:
Get Your Programs Here...I had forgotten which teams are managed by whom. Here is the list:
jpinmilw ... Caught Looking
jespah ... The Boston Puppies
fbaezer ... Sodom Salt Statues
ticomaya ... Ticomaniacs
Jon (tico's friend) ... Flappin Pancakes
realjohnboy --- Rappin Rednecks
pantalones ... High Strung Hippies
cycloptichorn ... Cycloteam
george ... The Nattering Nabobs
jp's brother ... River City Rockheads
...!

The list is slightly off. Actually, Jon has the Rockheads and jpin's brother has the Pancakes.

PS Go Puppies! http://www.budget-t.com/snapupload/general/cheerleader-210.jpg
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 03:39 pm
Since the Sodom Salt Statues play local this week, the management gives a warm welcome to visitors, but WARNS:

Welcome
http://www.copticchurch.org/Pictures/Designed_Pictures/OLDTEST/SODOM.JPG

The Sodom Salt Statues are only legally responsible for actions taken by the local fans against the visiting TEAM. We are not suitable for actions taken against their manager or the fans.

Not even if they come from our oficial Cheerleading Sluts.

http://www.glamourite.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/charlesbusch.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 04:43 pm
I suspect this is the only league with trash talking in Latin.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 04:53 pm
Thanks, Tico, for a hard-fought match with the Rednecks in Week #1.

The managerial manipulation on Sunday was cool. We each had a bunch of SP's scheduled to go. I analysed the way things looked in our match-up and benched all of my SP's. Tico countered by doing the same with his. I counter-countered by putting one of mine back in. Tico responded by putting one of his back in. I think, but am not at all sure, that I may have earned one extra point. But it was fun.
0 Replies