wife's drinking

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 10:43 am
Ok. - Married 6 years, no kids yet. All is good with us, good sex life, get along well, lots of interests. My wife is a career woman, works from 8am - 6pm , 5 days a week. I am fine with this, I knew what I was signing on to. It's great for me as I get lots of time by myself. The main problem is drinking. I feel foolish too about this as I have read others posts and my wife's drinking is hardly at all, but it does cause us conflict. I don't drink at all. She will have 1 -3 beers a once or twice a weeks while she's chatting with her girls on-line. Fine, no problem. The problem is that every 3-4 months, she seems to go wacky on beer. It starts with drinking more often, then she's drinking 4 out of 7 nights and then I come home to find her wasted on her day off. Once I found her drunk on the couch and once she peed all over the bathroom floor. I get mad, she resents me. Then she said she would only drink once a week, one beer a week. Lasted 2 months. Then she said no more drinking at home. Lasted 4 months. Last night she came home and told me that she has the right to have a couple of beers once in awhile and that I don't understand cause I don't drink. I said that I am fine with that, but not with the wacky beer weeks where she goes over the line. Over the last 6 years we have tried all kinds of compromises, but nothing seems to work. I don't think she is an alcoholic, as she went over 4 months without drinking and goes sometimes weeks without not drinking. We seem to be at a standoff. She wants to drink but can't promise not to cross that line and I don't want to come home to find her drunk on her day off. I feel like in this situation, I am the wife and she is the husband !! Any advice would help, Thanks, Andrew
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,931 • Replies: 44
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 10:52 am
Humm. Don't see a simple solution for this. It may just be something you have to accept as part of the way she wants to be.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 11:04 am
I'm not sure that isn't alcoholic behavior. It sounds like she likes to flirt with that line between acceptable and abusive. How old is she?

I don't have a resolution, but she sounds like someone I'd get along with. If it doesn't work out, maybe you could fix her up with me. :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 11:14 am
Re: wife's drinking
andrew9574 wrote:
The problem is that every 3-4 months, she seems to go wacky on beer. It starts with drinking more often, then she's drinking 4 out of 7 nights and then I come home to find her wasted on her day off. Once I found her drunk on the couch and once she peed all over the bathroom floor. I get mad, she resents me. Then she said she would only drink once a week, one beer a week. Lasted 2 months. Then she said no more drinking at home...Over the last 6 years we have tried all kinds of compromises, but nothing seems to work.

This is the behavior of an alcoholic. Alcoholics don't have to be drunk all the time to have the problem. Nagging does no good, so stop it and go to a local chapter of Al-Anon to find out how to best handle the situation.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 11:21 am
Agree that it sounds like problem drinking. Binge drinkers aren't necessarily alcoholics, but they drink to get drunk. Here's a link on Binge drinking

Oh, and what does this mean?

Quote:
I feel like in this situation, I am the wife and she is the husband !!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 11:22 am
Quote:
Last night she came home and told me that she has the right to have a couple of beers once in awhile and that I don't understand cause I don't drink. I said that I am fine with that, but not with the wacky beer weeks where she goes over the line. Over the last 6 years we have tried all kinds of compromises, but nothing seems to work. I don't think she is an alcoholic, as she went over 4 months without drinking and goes sometimes weeks without not drinking. We seem to be at a standoff. She wants to drink but can't promise not to cross that line and I don't want to come home to find her drunk on her day off.

1. Is she drinking only at home and does she remain home until sober?

2. If she is drinking while away from home, is she driving?

If the answer to number 2 is yes, then her right to have a couple of beers once in awhile stops at the point where any damage to property or people becomes a shared financial liability of your marriage.

Have you checked with any family support groups such as Al-Anon?

From their website:

Quote:
Are You Troubled by Someone's Drinking?
Al-Anon Is for You!

Millions of people are affected by the excessive drinking of someone close. The following questions are designed to help you decide whether or not you need Al-Anon:

Do you worry about how much someone else drinks?
Do you have money problems because of someone else's drinking?
Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else's drinking?
Do you feel that if the drinker cared about you, he or she would stop drinking to please you?
Do you blame the drinker's behavior on his or her companions?
Are plans frequently upset or canceled or meals delayed because of the drinker?
Do you make threats, such as, "If you don't stop drinking, I'll leave you"?
Do you secretly try to smell the drinker's breath?
Are you afraid to upset someone for fear it will set off a drinking bout?
Have you been hurt or embarrassed by a drinker's behavior?
Are holidays and gatherings spoiled because of drinking?
Have you considered calling the police for help in fear of abuse?
Do you search for hidden alcohol?
Do you ever ride in a car with a driver who has been drinking?
Have you refused social invitations out of fear or anxiety?
Do you feel like a failure because you can't control the drinking?
Do you think that if the drinker stopped drinking, your other problems would be solved?
Do you ever threaten to hurt yourself to scare the drinker?
Do you feel angry, confused, or depressed most of the time?
Do you feel there is no one who understands your problems?
If you have answered "Yes" to any of these questions, Al-Anon or Alateen may help you. To contact Al-Anon/Alateen in your community, click here.

http://www.al-anon.org/
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 11:36 am
JPB wrote:
Agree that it sounds like problem drinking. Binge drinkers aren't necessarily alcoholics, but they drink to get drunk. Here's a link on Binge drinking

Oh, and what does this mean?

Quote:
I feel like in this situation, I am the wife and she is the husband !!

I took it to mean that she is the jerk and he is being the sensible one.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 11:38 am
An alcoholic doesn't necessarily drink every day.

Also, for a long time, through will power and gritting their teeth, they can limit the amount they drink if they really need to.

If you were to ask your wife about all the times she only had 1 or 2 beer "did you truthfully want more" I'd bet she'd say yes.

When she drinks the way SHE wants to, it's much more.

I don't think you can "make" her do anything about not drinking. She's going to want it herself, for herself.
0 Replies

andrew9574

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 11:40 am
re: wife's drinking
Thanks guys and galls for your comments so far. So...
Kickycan - She is 44 and you can't have her
Greenwitch - Thanks I'll take a look
JpB - I am not being a sexist pigs but I don't know too many husbands who don't drink but thier wives do.
Butrfynet - Nope she only drinks at home, and doesn't go out anywhere or drives when she does.

Thanks
Andrew
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 12:12 pm
I feel so left out.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 12:16 pm
Chai wrote:
I feel so left out.

Don't take it personal, Andrew was typing when your post was grinding it's way through the broken hamster wheel.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 08:37 pm
What's the problem again? In my most recent line of work; that's the behavior of an occasional social drinker. My advice; chill dude.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 08:50 pm
They say couples should do things together.

Start hitting the bottle with her.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 08:51 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
What's the problem again? In my most recent line of work; that's the behavior of an occasional social drinker. My advice; chill dude.

Honestly Bill, she's the definition of an occasional social drunk. I'm an social drinker. I might have some wine or a beer with dinner or at a bar with friends, but I never, ever feel the urge to get drunk to the point I piss on the floor or have excessive alcohol 4 out of 7 nights. . This woman obviously has trouble stopping once she starts and gets to the point she makes a fool of herself and embarrasses her husband. I don't think she can just stop - an occasional social drinker can stop anytime, an alcoholic in training just can't - even if they know they are hurting themselves and their loved ones. This woman is headed for trouble.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 09:06 pm
hmmm...I don't know about that bill.

most occassional/social drinkers don't pee on themselves are all over the bathroom floor. Occasional drinkers also don't pass out as a rule.

our poster has mentioned her "going over the line" a few times. I don't know what that constitutes in his mind, true, but I picked something up about her from what she's said to him.

I know I'm not going to get this exactly right, so bear with me. It was something about her coming home angry and telling him she had the right to have a couple of beers when she wanted, once in a while, or words to that effect.

From experience, people without a problem with booze don't need to stand up and declare their right about that. They either have a drink, don't have a drink, and don't think much of it either way. Also, the majority on non drinkers, like our new friend, don't even notice if someone pops a cold one, or even two, once in a blue moon, once a week, something like that.

It seems she's the one that is coming up with these rules of drinking, not him.

I could very well be wrong, but....been there, done that.

heh...I remember once years and years ago, I was at a get together, went with a girlfriend and I only knew one other person there. But everyone was really really interesting, and lots of good conversation. One thing though, for I guess about the 9 or 10 people there, it seems that there was only a couple of 6 packs being drunk. I had slugged back my first, and just as quickly the 2nd, when I noticed (luckily) everyone else had probably only drank a half of one. I so clearly remember it was a conscious decision on my part to not have anymore, at least until everyone else caught up. Horribly, no one seemed to have that intention.

This might seem like nothing to you, or a lot of people, but I couldn't believe (a) I actually had a good time and (b) didn't have my ususal "I'm dying" feeling the next morning. I remember distinctly thinking, "Maybe I should try that again".....yeah right.

In other words, if she's getting angy over self restrictions, or even suggestions by other person to cut back, there's a problem there.

Even to a nondrinker, going "over the line" doesn't ususally mean getting giggly, a little silly/happy and a little energetic.

The line usually involves peeing on the floor of the bathroom, at least.

Curious, what IS the line she crosses over?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 09:09 pm
Oh, nice, my whole 268 word post has flown.

Salute'.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 09:12 pm
swell, I know the feeling.

You know what I've been doing if I feel the world just can't do without my pearls of wisdom?

after typing, I'll highlight and click copy, so then if it doesn't go through I can just click paste.

Jesus Christ, I made my donation, why isn't some RAM being installed?

It's enough to drive me to drink.

sorry 'bout that.....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 09:15 pm
Osso, if your post disappears just hit the back arrow and it should take you to the reply area with your typing intact. The best way is what Chai recommends - cut and paste from another program.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 10:12 pm
Re: wife's drinking
andrew9574 wrote:
She will have 1 -3 beers a once or twice a weeks while she's chatting with her girls on-line. Fine, no problem.
This is the norm. Nothing to see here.
andrew9574 wrote:
The problem is that every 3-4 months, she seems to go wacky on beer. It starts with drinking more often, then she's drinking 4 out of 7 nights and then I come home to find her wasted on her day off.
1-3 beers, 4 out of 7 nights from someone who works 50 hours a week does not strike me as unusual, or indicative of any problem whatsoever. "Wasted on her day off", yeah, and? Unless you're a tea-totaler, one party night a week is hardly unusual... and if it's your day off, so what.

andrew9574 wrote:
Once I found her drunk on the couch and once she peed all over the bathroom floor.
Once he found her drunk on the couch. Shocked Raise your hand if you've never been there. Laughing Once she peed all over the bathroom floor. ONCE.That's pretty drunk, granted, but once doesn't strike me as too crazy. Remember your worst episode of drunkenness and compare.

andrew9574 wrote:
She wants to drink but can't promise not to cross that line and I don't want to come home to find her drunk on her day off.
The only part that strikes me as odd, is that she seems to do her drinking alone. This I seldom do, but only because I don't enjoy it. Heading out to a pool hall or bowling alley or bar and tipping back a few a couple times a week is IMO perfectly normal. My impression is that the sober man doesn't see the purpose in drinking at all. We don't know if that's just not his thing, or if he has a problem when he drinks. Perhaps I'm just the stereotypical Wisconsin boy; but nothing he has said about her strikes me as remarkable. His worst story ever would get about a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10 in both my family and the company I keep... and would get some laughs, but wouldn't be one of the more remarkable stories. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 10:21 pm
Snarl.

But - you're right, it is doable, some of the time.
0 Replies