Is Ms. the new Miss.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 06:04 pm
Even in the sixties we called patients by their full names, and certainly in the seventies... but that was at a major university hospital. Don't know what they did elsewhere. But wait, in the late fifties my first job at another hospital - though now also sort of major - was taking mini xrays (I had, yes, believe it or not, just turned sixteen) - and I also just said the patient's first and last name as shown on the chart. I don't remember doing any Mrs. or Mister preface. And I would have been instructed to do so, if only by example by the people who taught me (the 7-3:30 5-day a week folks).
Later, after that department closed, I worked in admitting and cashiers, and still think I always just said the name, sans title, in calling the person.

One always like to get the correct person named Smith..

Backing up, we in admitting gave a person a number and that number was always checked...... or should have been.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 06:08 pm
George wrote:
...and how do you feel about letters addressed to Mr. & Mrs. followed by
the husband's first and last names?

*&^%$+= Have I made myself clear! Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 09:14 pm
hey wait....this whole Mrs. thing....doesn't that mean you have to have a baby within 3 years?

Say Good Night Gracie....

Cool
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 07:26 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
*&^%$+= Have I made myself clear! Laughing

Ma'am! Yes, Ma'am!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 03:40 pm
I've got a hyphenated name, jespah maidenname-philbis and Reeg only goes by Philbis (well, by his first name, too, of course), so with the differing last names I think that still occasionally weirds people out. So I get Ms. all the time and I've been asked why, well, 'cause I like it, 'cause otherwise there are few maidennames left, and 'cause I had a JD before I even met RP.

My current boss also hyphenates her name, and we have messed with people's heads on occasion by switching the last halves, so I've been Ms. jespah maidenname-boss'shusband'slastname and she's been Ms. bosslady hermaidenname-philbis. Just to keep 'em on their toes.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 03:44 pm
Unfortunately, there was no choice corresponding to my opinion, which is never desirable in a poll. I voted for "Bring back Miss," but my actual opinion is that it doesn't need to be brought back because it didn't go anywhere.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:18 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Well, it's easier than saying:

"Good morning, Jamie-who-is-taken...have you seen Claire-who's-up-for-grabs?"

Quoted because it is brilliant.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:29 pm
I hate being referred to as Mr. and Mrs. Hisfirstname Hislastname. It makes me feel like an appendage.

I use Ms., especially for business.

The only person who refers to me as "Mrs." is a certain girlfriend...she always greets me with, "Hello, Mrs. Hislastname" to which I reply, "And how are you today, Mrs. Herlastname." And then we giggle. We're both in our 50s, and we both think it sounds like our mothers.

It really threw me when I started teaching last fall. When the class asked my name, I said "Eva"...to which the principal hastily corrected me. "MRS. HISLASTNAME," he insisted. It's a respect thing, I know, and I have to use it there, but I don't like it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:42 pm
I was substituting for the gym teacher last week when a 3rd grader asked me what they should call me. I said "Ms. Lastname." He said, "Ok! Mrs. L (initial)!" I said, No..... MS L. He said, "Ooooooh! You're not married!" Sharp kid. Obnoxious too.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 01:15 am
Funny, I was thinking about this 'title' business earlier today, and just now chanced upon this thread.

I'm Ms. Heatwave. Annoys my husband, who would like me to be a Mrs. While I like the sense of belonging taking on his last name gives me, it's a little annoying that whole idea of taking on your husband's identity and losing your own.

What I was thinking about earlier was more about how there's no marital-status-clarifying title for men. That annoys me. And with that in mind, I say throw this Ms/Miss/Mrs business out the window. As well, the Master/Mr one. (In India, little boys are referred to Master So-and-so. I guess once they're 18 or so, they become Mr.)

Also, in India, youngsters don't address their elders by their first names. It's So-and-so Aunty, and So-and-so Uncle. Even to address elders by Mr/Mrs So-and-so could be construed as rudeness. The Aunty/Uncle address is a mark of respect for the person's age. So, M will not be allowed to refer to her elders by their first names. Within our circle, she will refer to my friends as Aunt Mia and Uncle Jeffrey, and acquaintences as Ms. Mia and Mr. Jeffrey. She can call her friends' parents whatever they want her to. (So maybe I'll hold on to the Ms/Mr parts for a little while.)
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 03:29 am
I used 'Miss' on forms and stuff when I was younger, but now that I'm 27 I feel like it's a bit juvenile. Like 'Ms.' is the adult version of 'Miss.' But I could be wrong.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 03:40 am
I like being called by name. For more impersonal situations, I like simply my last name.

Calling me Miss is for people who already know me. I know that doesn't make logical sense. It is because I hear the title Miss as being rather affectionate or alternately sarcastist.

If I ever become a married woman, this will still be my preference. I dislike titles in general except when used as a game of affection. A joke.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 08:04 am
I'm Class Secretary for my college graduating class, the Class of '60.

Roughly two thirds of us prefer to be addressed as "Ms." and most of the rest use "Mrs. Husbandfirstandlastname". Two insist on "Miss" and two others on "Dr." referring to a Ph.D.

I've used "Ms. since the '70's when I got rid of the First Mr. Noddy who was a very possessive and insecure man.

As for hospitals:

For the last 25 years I've noticed that while I'm greeted on admission by my first name, within twenty-four hours nurses, nurses aids, technicians and whatever other personnel are traipsing through my bedroom begin to address me as Ms. Noddy.

I remind them of former English teachers and other figures of authority.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 08:21 am
I noticed something recently. I was in a center that performs X-Rays, CAT scans, etc. You signed in. When you were called, they called you by your first name. I may be off base, but could that have been on account of the HIPAA regulations, and done to protect the pateint's privacy?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 08:22 am
When I was a preteen and everything had a sexual connotation it was quickly discovered by my peers that my maiden name was slang for a particular sex act. Much hilarity ensued. I wasn't in a big hurry to get married but comforted myself that someday I could trade in my snicker-inducing surname for a new one.

My mother advised: "Dear, it's as easy to fall in love with a man with a nice boring Anglo name like Smith or Jones as a man with a truncated Slavic name that's a variant of an action verb" but did I listen? Of course not.

When we married, her younger colleagues (feminists all) asked why I hadn't hyphenated my names. She replied: "Tai Chi sex act-action verb?" The response ranged from hesitant titters to outright guffaws. It still does if someone asks me why I took my husband's name only.

And I don't care if someone calls me Mrs. Action-Verb. After all we are still married, my kids are legitimate Laughing It's just a term of address and usually meant politely.

What drives me crazy is being addressed as "ma'am" -- that just makes me feel old...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 08:29 am
Tai Chi wrote:
What drives me crazy is being addressed as "ma'am" -- that just makes me feel old...

I kind of like to be referred to as ma'am. It has a nice, fuzzy, protective feel to it. Then again, I AM old! Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 09:04 am
I have no preference or opinion on titles. If I'm forced to choose one on a form, I choose Ms or 'no title', if it's an option. I just figure that someone is trying to get my attention or give me some information. If they call me Ms., Miss, Mrs., J, or 'hey' really doesn't matter to me. That could be because I have a very unusual first name and I'm so happy when someone gets it right that I really don't care what title goes with it.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:05 am
Same here JPB!. If people can pronounce my first name right I'm so happy I dont mind being called by any title.
Most people simply know me as <myfirstname> and I like to keep it that way.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:57 am
I think Ms. was originally supposed to replace Miss AND Mrs (otherwise there would be no point).
Unfortunately it did not happen!

Unlike in Germany, where officially the Frl. has been completely removed from the language.
Everybody is called Frau now.
They should have done the same in English and just called EVERYBODY mrs, married or not!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 06:22 am
Bohne wrote:
Unlike in Germany, where officially the Frl. has been completely removed from the language.

Really? What institution does such?

Bohne wrote:
They should have done the same in English and just called EVERYBODY mrs, married or not![/color]

Perhaps. But since "Mistress" originally (in medieval times) did not bear reference to marital status, perhaps the US feminists thought its use to be a good idea in the 60's. :wink:
0 Replies