Ask the A2K cooks!

mckenzie

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 04:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
My only neg on that is I don't use margarine, it makes me quiver to see the word in print.

It would make me cringe to see it in my fridge, osso, but I don't mind seeing it in print, lol. Many years ago, when I was allowed no dairy products at all for a time, I tried to be diligent, and we lasted on margarine for less than a week.

(I remember back when margarine was white and was sold with a packet of yellow dye.)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 04:20 pm
@mckenzie,
I do too. For me it was in Dayton, Ohio, '44? 45? I was somewhere between two and four. I remember the goo as orange-ish, but maybe it was just yellow.
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 07:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I just made, and we ate, probably the shittiest GOULASH, Ive ever eaten. It was a recipe in the PENNZY's spice catalog for Jan 2014. Blecchhh!!
It was waaay too sweet and, although it sounded like itd be good from the recipe , I swear, itd make a better pancake syrup than some bottled products.
Anybody hve a good , slightly sweet Goulash recipe ?
I wont mix it all togetjer with spaetle noodles because we like em as separate physical phases. It just tastes maw bettah!!
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 06:30 pm
@farmerman,
America's Test Kitchen had a slow cooker version a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it as a way to bump your question where others might see it.

Here's a version of it. If you want the original they want you to do a trial subscription to their website,

http://culinarycollation.blogspot.com/2010/03/hungarian-goulash-slow-cooker.html
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 06:45 pm
@Butrflynet,
I haven't answered since I've never tried making goulash. I do try to tame the sugar in a lot of recipes.

A friend married a hungarian, arrived I think as a teen in L.A. just post '56, but from my observation, he was crazy about her mexican cooking (oh, and also about her - they've been together a good long time - I remember the wedding, quite a fete).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 06:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
We get Cooks magazine. Ill see if I can get on line with my subscription number. Thanks

(I don't particularly like slow cooker versions of stuff because you never cook stuff "down" to make a précis redolent with deepening flavors
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 10:49 am
@farmerman,
making a corned beef special sammich for tomorrows supper (Mr F is up to her... in lambs)

Lightly killed brisket, corned .
Then boil for about 30 min

after which, bake in oven at 350 for about an hour
Sprinkle with brown sugar and then bake another half hour till edges are browned and semi crispy

MAKES the best dam sammich especially with mustard and a Russian dressing with some sliced onions

St who? let him go get a job and buy his own corned beef
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 06:32 pm
@farmerman,
Im looking for a gazpacho recipe thats a little different. Any cooks have a twist on this dish?
Im up to my grochkies in tomatoes and peppers and cucumbers.

I hqd a variety at a restaurant lunch yesterday and It had zuchini in there and that was not an enjoyable variety. Too bland and just a means in which the restaurant was "stretching" the ingredients IMHO.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 07:45 pm
@farmerman,
I'm no help, haven't partaken of it in a long time but liked it. Will follow along . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 08:01 pm
@farmerman,
I'm a big fan of Ricardo. One year I worked my way through one of his cookbooks as part of the Fine Cooking mag online group. Never had a failure with any of his recipes.

He's got some good gazpacho recipes but he also has a gazpacho salad that I've served with good compliments resulting.

http://www.ricardocuisine.com/recipes/12-gazpacho-salad

http://www.ricardocuisine.com/pictures/cache/69216cf424a0c55df05ad6e23afd0a23_w500_h675_sc.jpg

INGREDIENTS

DRESSING

1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil

3 tablespoons (45 ml) red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon (15 ml) Dijon mustard

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

Salt and pepper

SALAD

1/4 cup (60 ml) finely chopped onion

8 large plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch (1/2-cm) strips

1 English cucumber, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch (1/2-cm) slices

1 yellow bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/4-inch (1/2-cm) strips

2 cups (500 ml) cubed country-style bread, toasted

PREPARATION

DRESSING
In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

SALAD
In a large bowl, toss all the ingredients except the croutons. Add the dressing. Adjust the seasoning.
Add the croutons just before serving. Delicious with grilled foods.

____

I've upped the pepper ratio without any problems.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 08:08 pm
@ehBeth,
this is good - basic stuff - he suggests making your own tomato juice

http://www.ricardocuisine.com/recipes/4392-gazpacho-

I really like this one but it doesn't use tomatoes

http://www.ricardocuisine.com/recipes/3033-green-gazpacho-

and this one was damn fine (but not quite what you're after)

http://www.ricardocuisine.com/recipes/4425-peach-gazpacho

the no-fail cookbook

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KoohywRJL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

hamburgboy got me a subscription to Ricardo's new magazine for Christmas

of course they sent him a couple of issues as well - he's enjoying the very good writing/pix/educational factor
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 08:57 pm
@ehBeth,
thank you. Is theis Ricardo a Canadian? never heard of him before.

Im gonna try it with some Hungarian wax peppers rather than the green bell peppers (I cannot stand eating unripe bell peppers they are so bitter its like poisoning your food)
I hve no idea why people like the taste of green bell peppers. NOW, when they ripen and sweeten up, they are fantastic. My mom used to make food with green bell peppers (lotta Polak food uses GBP's). But fortunately, my dad also was repulsed by them. I think it was something genetic going on. I wanted to do a genetics report in HS using my dads and moms families to see whether I could calculate it, but my dads relatives (that were in this country and still alive), wouldnt even taste them cause they hated em too. So, that was a science Fair project that woulda won -all gone to ****.

Never mind.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 08:59 pm
@ehBeth,
PEACH GAZPACHO?!??!?!

I printed out and gave it to MrsF as another "peach smoothie recipe"
ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:02 pm
@farmerman,
Ricardo Larrivee is an amazing chef from Quebec.

I don't think I know anyone who likes (or tolerates) green bell pepper. Most people seem to pick them out of whatever they show up in. I only buy yellow or red bell peppers. Those green ones are brutal on the gut.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:04 pm
@farmerman,
the peach gazpacho is amazing

I mean, really, look at these ingredients

6 blanched peach halves

1 English cucumber, peeled and seeded

1 yellow bell pepper, cored

1 yellow tomato, seeded and cubed

1 small onion, cubed

1 small clove garlic, chopped

2 1/2 cups (625 ml) water

2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil

2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice

Salt and pepper

____

It's like summer in a bowl.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:07 pm
Listening to both of you..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Im thinking that (if we remove the bell peppers) Id serve it in a glass with ice.

Back in my mispent days, maybe even a dram of a nice florid gin
ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:12 pm
@farmerman,
that would work if you found another slightly hot pepper to replace the yellow bells

a friend of mine made an amazing peach tomato salsa last summer - we were all eating it into the winter - great as a snack but also a terrific side for grilled chicken/corn/taters
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 07:24 am
@ehBeth,
OK-HERES ONE THAT WILL MAKKE THE COOKS THINK

I hate eggplant
Yet, my garden seems to have provided "volunteer plants"
Or someone planted some seeds. (I think she did it)

SO, is there any way to make eggplants edible?

They are bitter, slimy, vile, and then theres the texture like wet cotton
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 08:24 am
@farmerman,
Here's an old favorite of mine, a Craig Claiborne recipe -
http://able2know.org/topic/17425-1#post-516122

Many people find eggplant bitter and get rid of some of that by salting it (no link, but it's on a lot of recipes including one Mismi wrote on a2k fairly recently). A little bitter doesn't bother me, so I don't do the salt thing (Claiborne doesn't either).

I buy eggplant once a month or two if it looks fresh in my store's produce section, just as I do buy various greens - to saute for a while in a bit of oil with salt, pepper, chile pepper, and perhaps turmeric (whatever), and then freeze for adding to burritos or pizza or scrambled egg tortilla wraps.

I'll see if I can find a link to Mismi's recipe.