Ask the A2K cooks!

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:41 pm
I have rabbit. My husband brought it home and I don't know what to do with it. Please give me some ideas?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:53 pm
@mismi,
rabbit cacciatore was, I think, the original dish..

I've eaten that in tuscany, delicious..
I'll quick look up a couple of my favorite cooks from there to see what I can find.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, here's one - I used to subscribe to that magazine -
http://lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/recipe/hunters-wifes-rabbit
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:57 pm
Another..
http://www.fieldandfeast.com/cook-something/concetta-and-vitos-rabbit-cacciatore/
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 07:44 pm
@mismi,
jambalaya!
mismi

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 04:42 pm
@JPB,
Those look wonderful Osso. Thank you! I am not sure about rabbit. I was a little iffy about lamb and tasted it and love it. So maybe it will be the same with rabbit.

You can make jambalaya with rabbit JPB? I have never tried it....I will look it up too...I know how to make jambalaya! Thank you! I'll be the professor wants something different though. Knowing him. Keeps me on my toes he does.
mismi

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 04:44 pm
@ossobuco,
This one looks good. Do you usually put it over pasta Osso?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 05:03 pm
@mismi,
I've never eaten rabbit since, Mis.
Well, even if I wanted to, it's not been available where I shop.

I do remember tuscans use wide noodles with rabbit, or at least re what I saw...called pappardelle.
Tuscany is, or was when I was there, very hunting oriented.
Well it should have been, as in the war, people had big trouble surviving, and they were a hunting place before all that, so it is part of the ethos.

Sometimes in trattorias, it was pappadelle with hare sauce..

This reminds me of an alltime favorite book - I'll be back after I check the name.

mismi

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 05:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I will look it up. Thanks Osso.

Hare sauce sounds....hairy. Wink

I will let you know what I decide and what I think once I cook it. I am scared.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 05:19 pm
@mismi,
The book was Love and War in the Apennines by Eric Newby.

I really liked it when I read it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 07:41 pm
@mismi,
Rabbit and andouille jambalaya

http://www.soireesandsuch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DSC_14291.jpg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:21 pm
or gumbo!!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/rabbit-andouille-sausage-and-wild-mushroom-gumbo-recipe/index.html
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:24 pm
Rabbit killers, the whole lot of ya! Razz
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:40 pm
@jcboy,
Yes, Strawberry would be anxious to read this.

(Watership Down, now there's a book)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 10:53 pm
@mismi,
I’ve never eaten rabbit (it’s all in my head because I’ll eat lamb and veal) but Mr. M. likes it, and says it tastes like chicken. I’ve prepared it for him, along with bison, which I won’t eat either. Picky, picky, I know! Anyway, I’ve cooked it this way for him:

Rabbit with Mustard

1 rabbit, skinned and cleaned
2 tbsp. flour
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. butter
¼ pound bacon diced and blanched
4 shallots
Bouquet garni (1 bay leaf, 1 sprig thyme, 2 sprigs parsley)
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup chicken stock
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. prepared English mustard
1 ¼ cup heavy cream

Cut rabbit into serving pieces. Roll pieces in flour and season with the salt and pepper to taste.

Heat olive oil and butter in a casserole dish and sauté rabbit pieces together with the bacon until golden.

Add chopped shallots and the bouquet garni to casserole, moisten with the dry white wine and chicken stock. Braise for about 2 hours or until rabbit is tender. Transfer to a heated dish and keep warm.

Skim fat from sauce and remove bouquet garni. Whisk Dijon and prepared English mustard thoroughly with the heavy cream (sorry) and add to the sauce. Correct seasoning to taste. Return rabbit pieces to casserole, heat through and serve.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 12:18 am
I'm in the mood for shepherd's pie. I have a recipe somewhere, but I can't find it. I looked online. Eh.

I need something simple with ingredients I have in the house. Granted, you don't know what I have in the house, but please humor me.

Simple. Nothing fancy. And I won't be using lamb. I've got ground chuck. A serving for one.

Mercy bow coo.
mckenzie

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:56 pm
@Roberta,
Coincidentally, I made some last night using left over roast beef and gravy. Comfort food!

I chopped the cooked beef into very small cubes, then chopped a proportionate amount of onion, celery and carrots. I like a large ratio of the veggies to the meat.

I sautéed the veggies with some garlic until they were softened but not brown, added the cooked meat and seasonings, salt, pepper, a little rosemary and thyme. Once the meat was heated through, I added the left over gravy, a little red wine and let it all simmer until most of the liquid was absorbed.

(I've followed the same process using ground beef and beef stock or even Campbell's no sodium added beef broth if that's all I have. With or without the wine, as well.)

Top the meat/vegetable mixture with potatoes whipped with butter or margarine. Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese overtop. Bake at 350 degrees until hot throughout and top is browned.
Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 03:15 pm
@mckenzie,
Thanks. I have most of the ingredients.

I saw recipes online that suggested worchester sauce, ketchup, or tomato paste. I've got them all. Don't need them though from your recipe.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 03:30 pm
@mckenzie,
Stop!!!!! Now I'm starving..

my only neg on that is I don't use margarine, it makes me quiver to see the word in print. (laughs at self*)

*My husband and his brother and I went out with their parents to an old lodge building type restaurant somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley, the parents' choice. It was a place I could be snotty about, but they fed people a lot for not much money in some comfort. What got me though, was the giant bowl of margarine set in the middle of the table.

Years later, husband and I went on our first real vacation in forever, and the first night in Rome, completely exhausted from just getting there, went to the pizzeria down the hill (Aventine). I don't remember what we ate, being half asleep, but I do remember what the people next to us ate - they shared a giant bowl of steaming hot pasta with two side bowls, grated parmigiano, and butter, plus ladles for those.

The first I described repelled me, the second was enticing. Craziness. Perception.
mckenzie

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 03:56 pm
@Roberta,
I'm sure I've used Worcestershire sauce at times, when I've used broth or stock, to give some added flavour. Other seasonings, as well, in lieu of or in addition to the rosemary and thyme. It depends on what flavours you like.
0 Replies