Rice with Eggplant, olde recipe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 10:12 pm
I was going to type this recipe for a friend and decided to put it on a2k too, in case anyone is interested.

It's from an old Craig Claiborne cookbook, the title of which I have long forgotten.

It's easy, and tastes good.

ingredients
1 eggplant, about 1 pound (size doesn't matter so much, per osso, age does. Relatively fresh is better, as in not soft and wrinkly)
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter (he says or margerine, I'll say or olive oil)
1/2 half cup finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or a sprig of fresh from garden/osso)
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more! /osso)
1/2 cup rice (arborio or cannaroli/osso)
1 cup chicken broth(unsalted per craig claiborne)

directions
- Trim off the ends of the eggplant and peel it. Cut the eggplant into 1/2 thick slices. Stack the slices and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Cut the strips into 1/2 " cubes. There should be about 3 1/2 cups.

- Heat the butter in a saucepan (teflon frypan/osso) and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the onion is wilted. Add the eggplant and a generous grinding of pepper. Stir, add the tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and hot red pepper.
- Cook, stirring, for about three minutes. Add the rice and broth. Cover. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 20 minutes.

I add some cut up fresh hot or mild italian sausage if I have one in the freezer (thaw in microwave or in pan hot water). It's good without sausage too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,260 • Replies: 5
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 11:18 pm
I love eggplant; this sounds good; I'm hungry now.
Generally I dip it in flour, salt, pepper and fry. Thanks for the recipe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 12:56 pm
I found it interesting that the recipe doesn't call for the usual salting-waiting-and rinsing of the eggplant. I have read somewhere else that that matters most when the eggplant is older - am not sure if that meant older when picked or older as to time held before cooking.

Anyway, I've always liked this dish. The recipe provides enough for two. I'd double it for a family..
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 01:44 pm
Sounds great!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 03:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Starting up an ancient thread in case people want to add more eggplant recipes...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 06:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, I saw somewhere recently that the salting was most suggested in the cases of larger (more mature) eggplants, because the bitterness comes from the seeds which are more prevalent then.
0 Replies