Turkey roasting alternatives?

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:39 pm
Have you ever used one of those "Turkey Roaster" appliances? If so, do they usually work well?
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-f685/k2-_58ff572c-6415-4227-ba43-3093c937c05e.v5.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,399 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:59 pm
@Banana Breath,
I had to look that up.

The instructions for it seem a lot like the roast chicken I did in the crock pot for Christmas - except the bird and the pot are bigger.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5469623_roast-turkey-roaster-oven.html

particularly this piece of advice

Quote:
For a crispy skin, remove the turkey from the roaster 30 minutes before it is done cooking. Rub butter on the skin and place in a conventional oven at 400 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 160 Fahrenheit.

though I put lemon and a bit of salt/pepper and vinegar on my chicken before I put it in the oven for crisping - I've discovered the acid in the lemon and vinegar makes for ultra-crispy poultry skin

ok - so the chicken done in the crock pot was super moist and crispy

if the countertop turkey roaster is anywhere as good - and you have the counter space, and need the oven space for something else - I'd go for it
chai2

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:52 pm
@Banana Breath,
I had one.

I used it a few times. Can't remember what I did with it.

I didn't use it for turkey, but I guess chicken or other things I'd normally put in the oven.

I vaguely remember thinking it was a pain in the ass. It was hard to get the cooked food out of it as the sides were hot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 12:13 am
@Banana Breath,
The one I did was spatchcocked, easy, delicious, not dry.

I forget what year that was.

For the way of it, check out Giuliano Bugialli's roast chicken, similar.
Adaptable to turkey -

just a plain pan

http://able2know.org/topic/41268-1

Banana Breath

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 11:49 am
@ehBeth,
particularly this piece of advice

Quote:
For a crispy skin, remove the turkey from the roaster 30 minutes before it is done cooking. Rub butter on the skin and place in a conventional oven at 400 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 160 Fahrenheit.

That's part of my concern, but if the turkey comes out more like a steamed/crock pot recipe, that would not be right, even with a crispy skin. I guess that picture must be fake; they probably put an oven roasted turkey in the cooker for the picture. Yikes.

0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 11:51 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
The one I did was spatchcocked, easy, delicious, not dry.

Well you got me. I had to look up the word "spatchcocked." I'm familiar with the technique but don't recall hearing that word before. Thanks, good to know it worked.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 12:57 pm
@Banana Breath,
best turkey I ever cooked
0 Replies