Ask the A2K cooks!

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:09 pm
@farmerman,
Salt.

Here's the recipe and procedure from David Lebovitz's blog:

Always use organic or unsprayed lemons, since you're going to be eating the exterior (and I don't want to lose any of my readers prematurely.) I generally do 8-10 lemons at a time, but be sure to buy a few extra lemons for juicing a couple of days later, in case you need to add additional liquid to keep the lemons in the jar submerged while they 'do their thing'. And never use ordinary table salt, which has a harsh, chemical taste. (Check the ingredients to make sure your salt is pure.) As always, I recommend sea salt or kosher salt.

Moroccan Preserved Lemons

* Scrub the lemons with a vegetable brush and dry them off.

* Cut off the little rounded bit at the stem end if there's a hard little piece of the stem attached. From the other end of the lemon, make a large cut by slicing lengthwise downward, stopping about 1-inch (3 cm) from the bottom, then making another downward slice, so you've incised the lemon with an X shape.

* Pack coarse salt into the lemon where you made the incisions. Don't be skimpy with the salt: use about 1 tablespoon per lemon.

* Put the salt-filled lemons in a clean, large glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add a few coriander seeds, a bay leaf, a dried chili, and a cinnamon stick if you want. (Or a combination of any of them.)

* Press the lemons very firmly in the jar to get the juices flowing. Cover and let stand overnight.

* The next day do the same, pressing the lemons down, encouraging them to release more juice as they start to soften. Repeat for a 2-3 days until the lemons are completely covered with liquid. If your lemons aren't too juicy, add more freshly-squeezed lemon juice until their submerged, as I generally have to do.

* After one month, when the preserved lemons are soft, they're ready to use. Store the lemons in the refrigerator, where they'll keep for at least 6 months. Rinse before using to remove excess salt.

To use: Remove lemons from the liquid and rinse. Split in half and scrape out the pulp. Slice the lemon peels into thin strips or cut into small dices. You may wish to press the pulp through a sieve to obtain the flavorful juice, which can be used for flavoring as well, then discard the innards.

and the one at Simply Recipes:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_preserved_lemons/

How to Make Preserved Lemons

Ingredients

8-10 Meyer lemons*, scrubbed very clean
1/2 cup kosher salt, more if needed
Extra fresh squeezed lemon juice, if needed

Sterilized quart canning jar

* You don't need to use Meyer lemons, regular lemons will do, it's just that the milder Meyer lemons work very well for preserving in this way.
Method

1 Place 2 Tbsp of salt in the bottom of a sterilized jar.
One by one, prepare the lemons in the following way. Cut off any protruding stems from the lemons, and cut 1/4 inch off the tip of each lemon. Cut the lemons as if you were going to cut them in half lengthwise, starting from the tip, but do not cut all the way. Keep the lemon attached at the base. Make another cut in a similar manner, so now the lemon is quartered, but again, attached at the base.

3 Pry the lemons open and generously sprinkle salt all over the insides and outsides of the lemons.

4 Pack the lemons in the jar, squishing them down so that juice is extracted and the lemon juice rises to the top of the jar. Fill up the jar with lemons, make sure the top is covered with lemon juice. Add more fresh squeezed lemon juice if necessary. Top with a couple tablespoons of salt.

5 Seal the jar and let sit at room temperature for a couple days. Turn the jar upside down occasionally. Put in refrigerator and let sit, again turning upside down occasionally, for at least 3 weeks, until lemon rinds soften.

6 To use, remove a lemon from the jar and rinse thoroughly in water to remove salt. Discard seeds before using. Discard the pulp before using, if desired.

7 Store in refrigerator for up to 6 months.

Note:
You can add spices to the lemons for preserving - cloves, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, bay leaf.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you very much, Butrflynet! Very Happy

Just about to have a look at your links in a minute.

I was Googling, too & found quite a few Moroccan/Middle Eastern chicken recipes which included preserved lemons. Trouble was, most required a tangine.:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxyOxEYd2RKL1M:http://www.gourmetgirlmagazine.com/08/08/images/tagine.jpg

... one of which I don't own, nor plan to own. (I have enough problems with storage already)

So, another question, to anyone in the know: any useful suggestions for adapting a tangine-cooked recipe to ordinary, everyday household cooking utensils? (I haven't a clue about this. Will try a bit more Googling, too.)
Rockhead

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:13 pm
@msolga,
does it come with a genie?

(i might buy one if it does...)
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:13 pm
BBB bought a big jar of pickled sliced green tomatoes and peppers a few days ago. If anyone has some suggestions for using it in something, I'd love some ideas. About all I could think of was making an egg omelet with it or adding it to an orzo pasta salad.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:14 pm
@msolga,
I doubt my friend who cooked her way through a moroccan cookbook had one of those, but I don't know the possible equivalents.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
My first thought is pizza, but then that's always my first thought.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:17 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
does it come with a genie?

(i might buy one if it does...)

It might just have, Rocky! Very Happy

(for all I know!)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:17 pm
@msolga,
The Serious Eats blog I linked to above includes a chicken recipe that uses the preserved lemons. She refers to it as being a similar taste, texture and technique used with tangines but she uses a skillet.
msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I doubt my friend who cooked her way through a moroccan cookbook had one of those, but I don't know the possible equivalents.

I might have to ask around locally, osso. (Lots of middle eastern shops around here.)
The recipes I've come across look marvelously simple & tasty ... but I really have run out of storage space in my tiny kitchen. It's a juggling act for space in there already!
msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ah.

Thanks again, Butrflynet.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:31 pm
@msolga,
Here's another recipe for Tagine with Chicken, Almond and Scallion Couscous that has a method that uses common kitchen equipment rather than the clay pottery of the tagine.

http://pastamasta.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/tagine-with-chicken-almond-and-scallion-couscous/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
ya makes chicken scaparelli with pickled peppers and tomatoes. Itd be best to have a few pepperoncinis too You flour up some chicken thighs (I like these cause the meat is really one of the tatsiest parts of the bird). You fry this in OO till just beginning to brown. Then remove the chicken and put in some hot italian sausage with finnochio and several garlic cloves sliced very thin. (We use the GOODfellas method of slicing with a razor or a very sharp paring knife) Then fry the sausage till brown. Then add your peppers and pepperoncini to the pan and fry them till part of the roux gets on em and they begin to soften up.
SLICE one half of a lemon into very thin slices and put into the fry pan and cook till clear

THEN , put all the chicken, sausage (We make the sausage into like 3" sections) and all the veggies and pan mix into a hard metal or ceramic lidded baking dish. Add a 1/4 c chicken stock and 1/4 c of a sec sherry. Put in oven at 350 for about 30 min, until bubbley. we usually serve a thigh and two sections of sausage and a good ladle of the pickled veggies and peppers per person
SERVE over linguini.

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 01:15 am
@farmerman,
My mouth is watering. I'll have to wait til my next shopping trip to get the thighs. All I have are breasts in the freezer.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 09:19 am
@msolga,
I use lemons with salmon.
Slice the lemons thinly and layer in a (with butter) greased frying pan,
cut small tomatoes in half and add to the pan, put the salmon on top of it
and let it simmer on low heat until the salmon is done.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 09:30 am
OK rumtopf-ers, what do I do if my fruit is floating in the rum? It's supposed to be submerged.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 09:41 am
@littlek,
littlek, this can happen when the fruits haven't absorbed the rum yet.
Put a little plate on top of the fruits to keep them down until they're saturated
with rum.

Did you buy 54 % rum yet? The fruits will ferment if it's anything less than
54 %
littlek

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 12:41 pm
@CalamityJane,
hmm..... I had to transfer the whole concoction into two small, but wider containers so I could fit plates on top of the fruit. It's working now. I hope I didn't handle the stuff too much. I bought 75.5% rum and mixed about the same amount into the 40% rum. That should make it over 57% alcohol.
Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 02:49 pm
@littlek,
I would have suggested a French Coffee Press to submerge the fruit (with some foil on top to insulate it against air). But it seems your solution took care of two problems at once. Good for you!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 06:59 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
I might have to ask around locally, osso. (Lots of middle eastern shops around here.)
The recipes I've come across look marvelously simple & tasty ... but I really have run out of storage space in my tiny kitchen. It's a juggling act for space in there already!

Well I asked around. The Food teachers at work & a few of the local traders. Looks like there's no need at all to buy one of these, if I want to try some of those Morrocan recipes:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxyOxEYd2RKL1M:http://www.gourmetgirlmagazine.com/08/08/images/tagine.jpg

Just as well. I'm so short of storage space here, I might have to store it under my bed, when not in use! Razz

The consensus was that any biggish container with a really tight fitting lid (to hold in the steam while cooking) would do the trick nicely! Just saved myself around $60 (au) & lots of storage hassle.

0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:26 pm
I have been looking on here for lamb recipe's and I am having a hard time. I want a real basic seasoning...maybe like Cavendar's Greek Seasoning? I have some amazing tomatoes and fresh mozzarella and basil to go with...so I was looking for very simple...I have never cooked lamb before.

They are center cut leg of lambs...my husband brought them home Smile

Any ideas would be appreciated!