Ask the A2K cooks!

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:37 pm
@Thomas,
Yes, I meant dried fruits.. and I see your point about the two way seepage/diffusion.

I think my old friend used fresh fruit, sugar, and vodka, but I might be wrong, could have been brandy. It wasn't rumtopf; she was basque with a french flair.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 06:32 pm
I need a good recipe for a strawberry and fruit smoothie. I dont wanna drive 35 miles to get a smoothie. We have the fruits, we have a big Vitamix, we have the technology. Just need a recipe
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 07:27 pm
@littlek,
I wouldn't use ethanol. Part of the good taste is the distinct rum flavor that's
so well absorbed by the fruits. It tastes divine with whipped cream.

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 07:29 pm
@farmerman,
How about strawberries and watermelon?
1 1/2 cups strawberries
1 1/2 cups frozen diced watermelon
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon white sugar (optional)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Blend all together until smooth! Tastes so good!
Thomas

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 08:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
I wouldn't use ethanol. Part of the good taste is the distinct rum flavor that's so well absorbed by the fruits. It tastes divine with whipped cream.

True, but she already used rum, so her Rumtopf already has the distinct rum flavor. But because she used rum with only 40% alcohol, I think she may not have enough alcohol to preserve the fruit until the 2011 holiday season. (She does have enough for the 2010 holiday season.) So all I'm suggesting now is a little fix. Its purpose is to bridge the difference between rum with, say, 55% alcohol, which I think she ought to have used, and rum with 40% alcohol, which she did use. Specifically, assuming that she used a liter of 40-percent rum in the first place, that difference would be (1 liter * (55-45) / 100), or 150 milliliters, of pure ethanol. (Where for practical purposes, "pure" means 97% ethanol, 3% water, 0% contaminants to spoil the taste.)
Thomas

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 08:18 pm
@Thomas,
Translation:
1 liter = 34 fluid ounces
150 milliliters = 5 fluid ounces
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 08:43 pm
@Thomas,
Oh okay, I missed that part where littlek said, that her rum was only 40 %.
Minimum is 54 %, otherwise the fruits ferment or spoil. Pure ethanol can
help here, you're perfectly right Thomas.
oolongteasup

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:18 pm
@CalamityJane,
how rum if one had run out of strawberries
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
Oh okay, I missed that part where littlek said, that her rum was only 40 %.

To be fair, she didn't say it. I assumed it, and after a while the assumption became a fact in my mind.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:27 pm
@farmerman,
Can you add some more specifics? Slushy or creamy? What fruits beside strawberry do you like?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 07:39 pm
Another question, if that's alright, while you all consider slushies.:

A friend just presented me with a jar of her own, home-made preserved lemons. I have to wait a while before I can use them, but I was wondering (never having used them before): how have you used preserved lemons in your own cooking? I know they're used mostly in Middle Eastern cooking, but I was wondering about about your experiences, in every day cooking. Also any advice on quantities to use? Also, any recipe ideas you could would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 07:51 pm
@msolga,
I haven't used preserved lemons, but would like to have some - all about Moroccan cooking.
msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, osso. They're a bit of a mystery to me, too.
I may have to do a bit of online research.
They've been a "flavour of the month" here for a while now. I was wondering what all the fuss was about!
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 08:14 pm
@farmerman,
In the mornings I frequently make a smoothie with strawberries, blueberries, a banana, a splash of orange juice, some crushed ice and some yogurt. If it needs thinning, I add some milk.

A couple days ago I used up some leftover watermelon, strawberries and pineapple wedges to make a smoothie. Just added a banana and yogurt. It was worth repeating again soon.

I canned some homemade strawberry and blueberry jam last week. I added a bit of lemon juice and zest to it and it was the best jam I've made so far.

Bought 6 pints of blueberries yesterday. They were less than half the cost of the frozen blueberries I usually buy. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet other than freeze at least half of them. I'm thinking about maybe some cranberry and blueberry jam.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 08:17 pm
@msolga,
I remember seeing a recipe for that in the canning book I bought a few weeks ago. I'll type it out here for you in a few minutes.

Edit: Oh wait, I read further up the thread. You're looking for ideas on what to use it with not how to make it. Never mind!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 08:26 pm
I presume that I would like Moroccan food; I've only had it once, at a place I don't take seriously. Free Duck knows more.
msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 08:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Free Duck knows more.

Well I hope Free Duck sees this thread & posts, then! Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 09:52 pm
@msolga,
Found a blog that focused on uses for preserved lemons:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2006/12/moroccan_preser_1.html

Here are some of the highlights:

Quote:
I like to finely dice preserved lemons and mix them with sautéed vegetables, such as green beans, fava beans, or to elevate lowly rounds of carrots into something interesting and exotic, perhaps tossing in a few cumin seeds as well. They're also good mashed into butter with some fresh herbs, then smeared on top of grilled fish or a nice hunk of caramelized roasted winter squash. And I've been known to sneak some into a batch of tapenade, as well as adding some finely-chopped little pieces to a batch of lemon ice cream too!

For the big Christmas fête this year, I made one of my favorite recipes, Israeli Couscous With Roasted Butternut Squash and Preserved Lemon to go with the Lamb Tagine that I cooked the day before...which made entertaining 15 ravenous Parisians a breeze. And speaking of braised meats or tagines, you can add thin strips of preserved lemons to any braising liquid during the last few minutes of cooking, which adds a nice little bit of bright, lemony flavor to whatever you're cooking. But do take care when adding them to a recipe; hold back on adding salt since the lemons will certainly add quite a bit more salty flavor than you think.

To use: Remove lemons from the liquid and rinse. Split in half and scrape out the pulp. Slice the lemon peels into thin strips or cut into small dices. You may wish to press the pulp through a sieve to obtain the flavorful juice, which can be used for flavoring as well, then discard the innards.

And another blog:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/04/the-secret-ingredient-preserved-lemons-moroccan-recipes.html

Quote:
"Mémé!" I cried. "Do you put preserved lemons in yours?" She looked at me with wide, innocent eyes. "Yes, of course, cherie. I've told you that a hundred times! You can use them if you like."

Um, no, you didn't tell me. Preserved lemons were the secret ingredient that she failed to mention--the je ne sais quoi, the dose of Moroccan mystery. It turns out that Mémé has be secretly using them a whole lot--in her salmon, in her olive stew, in her salade cuite, in her vegetarian chick pea tagine. To me, preserved lemons are the premier secret ingredient in North African cuisine.

Their taste is a bit tart, yes, but it is intensely lemony and different from using just juice and zest. The lemons are preserved whole--flesh, pith, and zest"by being packed in salt and their own juice for a month. The result is small, round, yellow lemons (you generally start with the smallest, roundest ones) that are soft and entirely edible, although I still remove the seeds. I think it is the pith and the skin that so inform the flavor, that make them taste more like lemon than any lemon you've ever had. To use them, you can slice or dice as you wish--just be sure to give them a quick rinse. And if you want to tone down their flavor, blanch them for 30 seconds to a minute in boiling water.

For this month's recipes, I wanted to do something different. I figured you could find a million recipes online that use preserved lemons in yet another tagine. Although, if you are going the tagine route, let me recommend that you do a seafood tagine--these pair so beautifully with seafood. They would also be a wonderful addition to broth for mussels or clams. But I've chosen some unorthodox preparations that really highlight their flavor: Preserved Lemon Citrus Chicken with Chervil Gremolata; Parmesan, Preserved Lemon, and Thyme Wafers; and Preserved Lemon Semifreddo with Basil Syrup.

Click the link for the recipes mentioned. Be sure to read the comments on each of the blogs for more ideas for using them.

Found another good blog page and collection of interesting comments about the lemons:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000177.html

Quote:
Preserved lemons are more flexible than you might think. I've enjoyed them on the following things, some more traditional than others - all highly recommended; thin-crust wood fire oven pizzas (as a garnish/topping), in various slow-cooked tagines, in cous cous and a few other whole grain salads, and as an accent in a tomato based panzanella. Paula Wolfert has a Spicy Potato Tagine with Preserved Lemon and Olives in her Slow Mediterranean Kitchen that I look forward to trying. I bought a tagine as a wedding present for a friend of mine, and will try to convince him (most likely through some sort of bribe) to loan it back to me for a weekend.
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 09:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
that watermelon one sounds good. WE have an all time fav called a ROSANNA BANANA. (It goes back a few centuries). But the watermelon and the vanilla sounds a nice deoparture from too predictable a smoothie taste.

I found out that STarbucks makes a smoothie out of some kind of SMOOTHIE POWDER Blecccghcchh
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
what are the lemons preserved in? salt, syrup n vinegar??