Ask the A2K cooks!

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:15 pm
@ossobuco,
As interesting and tempting as that sounds, I think I'd go with a no-cook soup at this stage of the game Smile
sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Have been cooking, just checked in to see if there was anything else pea-wise, whoa! All of those things look amazing.

I do NOT have mint. I'm still liking the idea of finagling a no-cook soup somehow...

Failing that, butter + an herb (as per one of osso's suggestions) sounds much better than just plain...
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:21 pm
@sozobe,
pssst you've probably got mint in your yard

chives will also work nicely in a chilled pea soup
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Me too. I'm wondering if sozobe has mint - but poaching (!) from some other recipes, I think one could use basil, or parsley and chives, or dill...

and if no half and half, how about chicken broth? Not with mint, I woudn't, but might with some of the other herbs.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Great minds cross post..
sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Getting closer to dinnertime, so I'm gonna go with the easiest one, but the other suggestions have definitely been filed away for later.

I have a few stock veggie recipes and really want to expand. That soup is gonna get made at some point...

Thanks again!

(Mmm, house smells good...)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:22 pm
@hamburger,
Thanks very much, hamburger. Just the sort of thing I had in mind. And it looks so easy to prepare! Very Happy
I'm going to make it this weekend. I'll report back.:

Slow Cooker Sauerkraut and Sausage SUBMITTED BY: grannycancook

"Here's an old recipe I have used for years. Sauerkraut and pork sausage cooked slowly in a slow cooker. Yummm!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 4 Hrs
READY IN 4 Hrs 15 Min

SERVINGS (Help)
Servings
US METRIC

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 (20 ounce) can sauerkraut
55 g brown sugar
680 g ground pork sausage
1 onion, sliced

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine the sauerkraut and brown sugar. then place in slow cooker. Arrange the sausage and onion over the sauerkraut.
Cook on high for two hours, check for dryness, adding some water if necessary, then reduce to low setting, and cook on low for two more hours.
msolga

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:25 pm
@hamburger,
I don't know if I'll be able to get my hands on exactly the right beeer, though!

[img] Wink [http://www.presseportal.de/bild/36545_thumb.s110_cma.jpg/img]

Thanks again, hamburger. And do keep posting here! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:27 pm
@msolga,
msolga, do you use sweet or tart kraut for the recipe?

(we call the sweet, bavarian style, here is the midwest)
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:34 pm
@msolga,
MsOlga - have you got any apples or apple sauce or cider? add a bit to the sauerkraut while decreasing the sugar a tiny bit - makes it a bit more authentic and oh so tasty
msolga

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:35 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm actually not certain about that, Rockhead. It's an imported product. All the information on the package is in German. I will take a closer look when I'm home tonight ... I can usually figure these things out. ...

"Bavarian style", hmmm? How do you usually serve/prepare it?
msolga

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:36 pm
@ehBeth,
I think I have cider, ehBeth. Or I might buy some apple sauce, if I don't have any. Which do you think is better?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:38 pm
@msolga,
baked with pork of all varieties, on brats, over mashed potatoes...

(got a bit of heritage with the stuff Wink )

The bavarian has caraway seeds in it and is not so harsh as other styles I've had.

More of a consumer than expert, however...
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:42 pm
@msolga,
Cider will work. If I had my ultimate druthers, I'd say just buy one really nice apple, slice it up and drop it in (I like the extra texture).

Well, maybe two apples - and use the other one for apple/liver/onions. mmmm
Rockhead

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:45 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm guessin' Beth and Mr H could edumacate us on saeurkraut variations...
hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 05:23 pm
@Rockhead,
best sauerkraut we bought came from the mennonite women at the kitchener farmers' market - while it was quite tart , the taste and texture after cooking (really : slow simmering) it with apples , a bit of apple juice or similar was "wunnerfull" - just rememberd : add a bit of uncooked rice and let it simmer with the kraut .
we used to get quite late to the kitchener market (they close at noon - open saturdays only) , so by 11:30 all the bargains would be offered . once walked away with two huge blood-sausages for a couple of bucks . the farmer kept shouting at me (in german/mennonite dialect) : "come on , try it , buy it , two for two bucks !!! " - what could i do - i bought it <GRIN> .
it's a 4 hour drive (one-way) from were we live . don't do those same day excursions any more : 4 hours up , shopping , more shopping at german deli , lunch at cafe mozart and 4 hours back - those were the days .
hbg

"food that really SCHMECKS"

http://www.aaronpurveyorsfoods.com/images/aboutus_LG.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 05:29 pm
@hamburger,
I wish I'd thought of that this afternoon. There is a Mennonite stand at the tiny farmer's market just across the Danforth on Thursdays. I should have checked for kraut there. Just picked up some great freshly pressed cider and some JonaGold apples.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 08:17 pm
@ehBeth,
OK, apple it is!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 08:18 pm
@Rockhead,
All sounds good, Rockhead!
mismi

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:11 pm
@msolga,
Okay - I have two sirloin petite steaks. Do I treat them like regular steaks? Is this a tough cut of meat? They were on sale and they were pretty - but I do not know a lot about them. Can you all give me ideas on how to cook them? I would marinate and grill but it is cold and rainy. So something I can do in the broiler - or I could use my grill pan I suppose.
Thanks!