Ask the A2K cooks!

msolga

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
You do, CalamityJane? Very Happy
That combination makes perfect sense to me!
You couldn't sort of point me in the right direction, so's I could make something similar, could you? I just happen to have some German sauerkraut in my fridge!
martybarker

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 11:33 am
Hey, sorry if this has already been asked, I'm just now finding this thread through the search tags....
I had put a small roasing chicken,eggs and OJ in a cooler with ice 3 days ago. When I got home, everything was still cold and only half the ice was melted. Are these things still OK to cook with??
mac11

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 11:48 am
@martybarker,
I'd still use the OJ & eggs.

Was the chicken cooked or raw? Well, either way, I probably wouldn't use it, but I'd be more likely to use cooked chicken, especially if it would be re-cooked.
martybarker

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 12:46 pm
@mac11,
Chicken was raw. I felt pretty good about the OJ but wasn't sure about the other two. The eggs felt pretty cold still.
mismi

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:40 am
@martybarker,
Does anyone have a good tomato pie recipe they would like to share with me?
mismi

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:00 am
@mismi,
Found it...

Unbaked Pie Shell
1 1/2 cups Mozarella
2 tbsp Basil divided
3 Tomatoes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 c freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

bake pie shell 400 deg for 5 min. Layer cheese and 2 tablespoons basil. Slice tomatoes and place on the cheese. Drizzle olive oil over pie. Bake at 400 deg for 35 - 45 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp basil and Parmesan cheese on top.

making my mouth water to think about it.
msolga

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:30 am
@mismi,
That sounds like a good summer recipe, mismi - if one can get tomatoes that actually taste like tomatoes! Looks like we're all going to have to grow our own, doesn't it?
mismi

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:57 am
@msolga,
Thanks msolga - It is a good summer recipe - but, you can use canned tomatoes too. You just have to drain them very well. It was still pretty juicy - when I went to slice it, it squirted all over my white shirt! Laughing
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 09:35 am
@msolga,
Yes dammit! The sorry specimens in the market make me cry.
hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:06 pm
@Joeblow,
my first contribution here .

mrs hbg sent me out shopping yesterday . "rice" was on the list . looking at all the large bags and was tempted to buy a whole sack of rice ... glad i didn't .
the smallest was 750 grams of ARBORIO rice for $2.29 (a bit pricey) and into the cart it went .
today we had rabbit in sourcream gravy with rice ... man-o-man what a rice it was !!!

ARBORIO rice it is - from now on - and hang the expenses !!!
it reminded me of the rice my mother used when i was growing up - i imagine all the rice came from the po valley in italy at that time .

i've already put in a request for my favourite RICE PUDDING - as a main meal :
rice steamed in milk with a bit of sugar , in to a casserole dish with plenty of butter and cinnamon-sugar on top , bake until brown , serve with more melted butter and cinnamon-sugar and your favourite fruit on the side .
PLEASE !!! let's have it soon !!!
hbg(promising to be a very good boy)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:17 pm
@msolga,
will this do ms. olga ?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Sauerkraut-and-Sausage/Detail.aspx

i actually like sauerkraut best if it's slow-cooked with : caraway seeds , plenty of apples , a bit of white wine or apple juice , a good chunk of well smoked pork (not too lean) , to be served with whipped-potatoes (don't forget the butter !!!) and any kind of fried sausauge - in berlin they serve fried blood and liver sausage on the side - and a big glass of DARK beer !!!
hbg

berlin BLACK beer !

http://www.presseportal.de/bild/36545_thumb.s110_cma.jpg
hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:21 pm
@msolga,
here is the true BERLIN SAUERKRAUT plate - including a rosted pork knuckle ,
it's been about 5 years since we were in berlin - would love to go back .
hbg

http://www.abseits.de/schleachtplatte.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:25 pm
Hiya cooks,

I'm doing a basic meat-and-potatoes dinner tonight, literally. Pork tenderloin and roasted potatoes (olive oil, garlic, rosemary, etc.)

I have some frozen "petit peas" from Trader Joe's and am trying to think of something more interesting to do with them than just cook 'em and serve as-is. I don't want anything too complicated either though.

Any ideas?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:30 pm
@sozobe,
fresh pea soup (as opposed to dried peas) ? (I've had it with mint, but that might throw off the rest of the meal...)

I'm making this up.. chopped cabbage and pea salad, sort of like coleslaw?

I'll be curious what you figure out..
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:32 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll go check a couple of my vegetable cookbooks. Will report one way or another.
sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you!

The pea and cabbage thing sounds interesting. Right now I have no cabbage, and just got back from the store with the potatoes (I know, should've asked BEFORE I went to the store...)

I have a bunch of basics -- butter garlic lots of spices etc.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:54 pm
@ossobuco,
OK, Niki Hazelton (Way with Vegetables) says .. serve with butter and any desired herb such as mint, tarragon, chives or basil. Ummm, there's a pea and prosciutto sauce for pasta that involves cream, parmesan, onions.. never mind.

Yep, peas with cream and mint...
Peas and lettuce (and nutmeg, thyme, parsley, scallions, butter, pepper) - I'd copy the recipe if it interests you

OK, next book - Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book

June pea soup - that involves garlic, scallions, butter, cream, mint -- or parsley and chives, with barely cooked peas.

Next, Victory Garden Cookbook -

some dashed off suggestions from there -
/add 1 cup sauteed sliced mushrooms to 3 to 4 cups shelled peas
/add 1/2 cup toasted almonds or pine nuts to 3 to 4 cups shelled peas
/Saute 2 to 3 cups diced cucumber, add 1 1/2 cups blanched peas and 1 tbs chopped dill, reheat in butter
braise peas with a strip of bacon or ham, or add crumbled bacon
/toss cool blanched fresh peas with a chopped red onion and equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream

There's a spicy peas and rice recipe -
without the rice part -
shelled peas, chopped onion, butter, garlic, cardamon seeds, allspice berries, whole cloves, cinnamon stick, golden raisins, blanched almonds.
Well, that one really needs the rice....

Those all mostly assume you are using peas in pods to start with.

Going to scout the books a little further..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:54 pm
@sozobe,
How's your gang on things like cold pea soup? pretty yum and refreshing at the beginning of a meal - beside or instead of a salad

Quote:
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1-1/2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
* 10 oz. can ready to use chicken broth
* 1 cup half and half
* 1 celery stalk, chopped
* 1 lettuce leaf, torn into pieces
* 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1/8 tsp. pepper

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender, cover, and process or blend until smooth. Chill thoroughly before serving. Sprinkle a little more fresh mint on each serving. 4 servings

or

http://www.epicurean.com/featured/cold-minted-pea-soup.html

lots of really tasty variants of this
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, Beth, I like that myself..

Just found one more book, Marlena Spieler's The Vegetarian Bistro.

Back when I look through it.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, man, I'll have to try this sometime, but it's too complicated for the present dinner situation... in my opinion -

Quenelles de Petits Pois a la Creme aux Herbes
Dumplings of Green Peas in Herbed Cream

That's about it.