Ask the A2K cooks!

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:17 pm
@mismi,
The U.S. labelling is different from the Canajun. Where is the sirloin petite from (on the cow)?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:21 pm
@ehBeth,
If it's a similar cut to a regular sirloin, I'd go with a longish braise to make steak sandwiches with.
msolga

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Ha!I checked out the packet when I got home yesterday & discovered that that I had a red cabbage variety, with "apfel" already in it! Bugger! So here's the new plan: I will postpone cooking the dish till next weekend, by which time I will have bought the right variety. In the meantime I can dust off my (old el cheapo) slow cooker & be ready to go! I'm really keen to try this one.

... in the meantime ... any suggestions on what I could do with with this red cabbage sauerkraut (sp?) with apple in it? Throw it out? Wink
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:29 pm
@msolga,
no no no

red cabbage is so good with sausage ... and you can still toss a little additional apfel in there (I always do)
msolga

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:30 pm
@ehBeth,
No no no?

OK then, ehBeth! I will now review the situation! Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:33 pm
@msolga,
no no no to throwing it out

the thought frightened me - I love red cabbage - honestly, I love almost anything from the world of cabbages
mismi

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks Beth...I may have to wait until next weekend to eat them. Trying to decide now.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Me too, ehBeth.

I'm rather glad I was made to eat all varieties of food on my plate as child! I could have missed out on the joys of cabbage! Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:08 pm
@msolga,
msolga - on the sauerkraut 'issue'

howsabout some nice rouladen stuffed with sauerkraut?

http://www.wqed.org/mag/columns/cook/2006/1006_cook.shtml

or rouladen served beside sauerkraut?

oooooh this looks good

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sauerkraut-Stuffed-Slow-Cooked-Pork-Roast/Detail.aspx - they've got it in the pic with stewed apples and small potato pancakes <thud>
msolga

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:25 pm
@ehBeth,
Very interesting & very different to (the mainly eastern European influenced) home cooking I'm familiar with.

I'm printing off that last recipe. It looks so easy to prepare!

Thanks very much, ehBeth! Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 03:35 pm
@msolga,
MsOlga: a recent yabber-liner discussion put me in mind of one of my favourite cabbage recipes from my old vegetarian days - cabbage/mushroom pie!

http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/blv247.htm

My recipe (who has seen that old turquoise notebook?) did not have hard-boiled eggs or a top crust, but is otherwise the same. Soooooooo good.

a simplified, non- veggie version from a low-carb diet site

http://behealthyforum.com/topic485.html

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 04:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Ah, I remember those pies, ehBeth! (They missed the soya beans & tofu in this recipe! Wink )

Haven't had anything like this for ages. It's time for a hippy pie revival, I think!(Especially because of the cabbage!)

I've just printed the vego one & will make it soon.
Thanks again.

Peace, sister.

Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:19 pm
I have a question. I bought the wrong size spring-form pan for a cake I'll be making for thanksgiving. The recipe calls for an 8 inch pan and the one I bought is 11 inches. I'd rather try and adjust the recipe than buy a new pan. Can I add a little bit more of all the ingredients? Let's see if I can find the recipe online.....

Quote:
Ingredients
4 to 5 clementines (about 1 pound total weight)
6 eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/3 cups ground almonds
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
Directions
Put the clementines in a pot with cold water to cover, bring to the boil, and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the seeds. Then finely chop the skins, pith, and fruit in the processor (or by hand, of course).

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Butter and line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper.

Beat the eggs. Add the sugar, almonds, and baking powder. Mix well, adding the chopped clementines. I don't like using the processor for this, and frankly, you can't balk at a little light stirring.

Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover the cake with foil after about 40 minutes to stop the top from burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, in the pan on a rack. When the cake is cold, you can take it out of the pan. I think this is better a day after it's made, but I don't complain about eating it anytime.

I've also made this with an equal weight of oranges and lemons, in which case I increase the sugar to 1 1/4 cups and slightly Anglicize it, too, by adding a glaze made of confectioners' sugar mixed to a paste with lemon juice and a little water.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:04 pm
@littlek,
You'll have to do some pretty serious calculations there, MsK. Baking's more like chemistry than anything else and you've got to get the formula right. You'll also need to do some work to calculate the correct cooking time. Baking translations are too tricky for me, most of the time.

Can't you take the pan back and exchange it for the right size?
Swimpy

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:37 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree with Beth. If you don't want to take the pan back, you could try baking the recipe as is for a shorter time at a lower temp. The cake is going to be different than the original recipe, but is there such a thing as bad cake?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 02:05 am
Another alternative to exchanging the pan or trying to guess at what adjustments the recipe measurements and percentages might need is to just make the same recipe twice and fill the pan. This doesn't mean doubling the measurements, it means doing it all twice. If there is leftover batter, put it into a loaf pan or some muffin tins. It could even be an occasion to do something fancy by changing the flavoring or color for one of them and swirling the batters together in the pan or creating a layered cake in the pan with the two variations.

Then, the only guesswork will be the baking time and you can start with the suggested time for the original recipe and cake pan size and then check the cake every 5-10 minutes after that.

Here's some info from my favorite baking site for tips on substituting pan sizes and scaling cake recipes for the size of the pan.

http://www.baking911.com/pantry/substitutes_pansizes.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:45 pm
Some help with decoding a US cookbook Wink I bought at an opportunity/thrift shop, please.
To do do with quantities of ingredients.

For example, the use if "T" & "t". As in:

2 T. minced parsley & 1 t ground oregano. I assume that "t" means teaspoon & that "T" means tablespoon. Have I got this right?

Also "c". As In 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated. No idea of this one.
Could someone enlighten me, please?

Thanks in advance,
Olga
ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:48 pm
@msolga,
t teaspoon
T tablespoon
c cup
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:50 pm
@msolga,
start cookin' murrican, yer gonna gain weight...

(and start thinkin' strange an stuff)
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
c cup

Of course!
Thanks, ehBeth!

Betcha though, that a US cup is different to an Oz cup! Wink