edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 05:03 am
A coworker of mrs edgarblythe told her, via facebook, that her A/C went out. As she has two small children, we made the trek over there. I was able determine it has a blown capacitor, but there was no way to purchase one on a Sunday afternoon, so she was forced to take shelter at her mother's house. I felt better to learn she had a cool place to be.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 07:50 pm
Installed a capacitor on an A/C for the woman working with mrs edgarblythe, this afternoon. She has small children.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 08:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wanted to say "You're a good man, Gunga Din" but then I remembered that's not exactly what Kipling wrote, I got Kipling confused with Charles Shultz.
That was a nice thing to do Edgar, especially in the Texas heat. But you really are a nice man.

Everyone should have such a good neighbor.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 08:39 pm
I feel we have to do what we can for one another. It's increasingly hard for some of us to get a break.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 09:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree, a person can be helpful without becoming a doormat. Small courtesies can mean a lot. About 6 months ago, I was in a card shop and the card I needed was on the absolute bottom shelf, when I dropped down to read the cards, I was down a tad too long and one of my legs fell asleep. Just when I found all my cards, I realized one of my legs was resisting my effort to get back up. An older women probably 20 years my senior offered to help me up. I was afraid to let her because she seemed so frail, she tried to pull me up, but my leg was useless. I asked her to hold my cards and purse and then I was able to get up. I thought it was so lovely of her to try and help, and she did help, there was just no way she by herself could have worked around my numb useless leg.

Plus, she spared me a little embarrassment, if they had called out for young men to lift the poor women (me) to her feet, I think I would have pretended to pass out and wait for an ambulance.

Pele like that women, make it seem a warmer more caring world.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 05:06 am
I watched a video on the morning news, of a man breaking out the window of a new Jeep this morning. There were two crying kids in there. Not sure if the mother will stand charges, since the kids were out when the cops arrived. I am glad he was not hesitant to act.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 07:41 am
@glitterbag,
Did you mean to type:
Quote:
People like that woman?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:02 am
@Ragman,
Oh me, yes I did, but the hamster won't let me edit now. Damned auto correct.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:24 pm
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/c_fx4nER4Q6bX1yDfPzLDw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTE4NztweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz02MDA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ucomics.com/dt140715.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 09:54 am
I had a bacon story I wanted to put on the bacon thread that is popular just now. But, after reading the other posts, it did not seem to fit. So, here it is over here.

Yesterday evening, we did not want to cook. I went to Sonic. For the first time ever, I got myself their cheeseburger with bacon on it. I knew something was amiss, when crumbs from the bacon fell out as I unwrapped it. The crumbs lacked flavor and bacon texture, as I had always known it. As I ate the burger, with just minimal enjoyment, I decided the chain must bring in precooked bacon. Stored and preserved in a way that robs bacon of its true bacon-ness. Never again will I waste money on any bacon product from that business.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:31 am
@edgarblythe,
I love a bit of bacon and cabbage, nice bit of salty bacon.

Never heard of Sonic, a fast food place I assume. Steer clear.
Seems to be a hedgehog thing going on here tonight.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:33 am
Sonic is the sort of drive in burger joint you see in movies such as American Graffiti.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:41 am
@edgarblythe,
Gotcha Ed, we have them over here too, they're everywhere and I have to admit dropping in every now and then myself.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:24 am
I have been mining James Thurber, for my quotes thread, all week. I find him engagingly witty, wise, petulant, whimsical, funny, caring, callous - in short, human. I love the guy.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 02:44 am
@edgarblythe,
I love Thurber, however the editor of the oldest newspaper in Maryland and the rest of the country recently hired a new editor from North Carolina, our
newbie from North Carolina has decided that a finalist for the 2001 Thurber award, Jim Mullen, who writes a column called 'It takes a village idiot" wasn't local or funny enough for the Capital/Gazette. What strikes me funny, is the new editor has never lived in Maryland, Anne Arundel County, or even Annapolis. We might as well have an editor from North Korea, our current editor doesn't have a clue what's important in the State. He is enamored over the detail that he now is a native, but sadly he's not much of a local. There is an enormous pool of talent that could put our editor to shame.

But the positive about this rape of a paper established in the 17 century, Marylanders can still subscribe to several other respected papers. Sorry to digress, but transplants who think they know what the natives want, must do a tad more homework. Our new editor is a carpet bagger, I'm not happy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 05:02 am
Sorry about that editor. These past few decades are to me as though somebody with a stick stirred up society and nothing can be where it belongs anymore. I don't think it's because I got old. If it were change for the better, it seems there would be a few clues I could latch on to, even in my dotage. Well, I hope the debris might settle and we can get to work sweeping up and setting things upright again. I don't ask that we return to 1960 or anything like that. Just restoring a modicum of functionality will suffice.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 05:38 am
@edgarblythe,
Rational people the world over are struggling to understand what is going on with the world today.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 05:44 am
@eurocelticyankee,
To the thumb happy psychopath.

Dear psychopath,
It cheers me up no end to know I've got under that reptilian skin of yours enough to get you agitated and thumbing.
Wonderful.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 08:35 pm
Had a nice card from the boss, for my 23rd anniversary, a week ago. She got us a cake. Phoo - Worst tasting cake I've sampled in many a year. I was asked if I would like to take some home. Why? Why punish my wife for something I did?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 03:58 pm
We were going out the gate this morning. Rocky has separation anxiety like a man on a guillotine. I attempted to control him, until mrs edgarblythe could get out. As soon as I cracked it open, he slipped between us and ran across the street. I tried kneeling down and calling him, but he ignored me. So I fetched some bits of leftover Spam from last night and offered him a piece. He came to me to take some, but avoided my hands. I gave him a second piece and as he took it, I grabbed his collar. But he is too large to be wrestled back to the gate. I held out the last bit of meatlike substance and slowly edged into the drive. He reluctantly went along, to get that final piece. He took it, placing himself between me and the gate. I finally got him back in, with some tugging and pushing. He is the most headstrong dog I have had. My drive is designed to have a double gate, one at the street and one near the porch. The one at the street is to discourage vandals from approaching our vehicles at night and to keep a dog getting past the first gate from getting off the property. After 18 years it has worn out. I need to buy or build a new one.