Is my wife cheating?

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:12 pm
My wife and I have been married for 10 years. Over the last couple of months I have been miserable because I suspect her of cheating. We have 3 beautiful children.

Lately her behavior has really changed. We were in the process of moving across country and I was alone for a couple of weeks while I was getting the housing situated. She was home with the kids. She had gone out "with a girlfriend" a few nights that I was gone. The night I came home I jumped on the computer to see what she had been up to. (she did not know I was looking). We were apart for 11 days.

When I looked at the history of pages visited I saw that she had done an "ask.com" search for "plan b". I freaked out. I asked her about it and she of course denied that she was looking for that. She said that she was looking up to find out if women get pregnant right after their period. I said "why"? After a few hours of fighting and a lot of tears I said I believed her.

She has over the last few months been going tanning, frequent hair do's, pedicures/manicures, started birth control back up (she had been off for 2 years) the cell phone! It is never off of her side. I have asked to see it and it is a HUGE fight. Why ios she doing this?

What's more is that she has been buying all kinds of new clothes, matching bras/panties, etc. I am so hurt and scared that I can't see straight. I have been trying to show her that I trust her but I don't. This last weekend she went to Las Vegas with a SINGLE girlfriend. The first couple days were fine. She called a lot and kept me informed. Then on Friday night, she turned her phone off. I was up until 3 am trying to reach her. A couple times the phone actually answered and was hung up immediately.... and I heard a man's voice in close proximity to the phone. She said that they were in the lobby with a lot of people and that she was trying to "text" me when I was calling and that she wasn't trying to hang up on me. Okay whatever.

She came home on Sat. night. She was acting really weird about her suitcase. Opened it that night but then zipped it back up and left it for later. It was kinda fishy. The next day, she went to the grocery store so I snooped a bit. I am ashamed about this next part, but I am so desperate to know the truth that I had to look.

I actually resorted to checking her dirty underwear. 2 of the 3 pairs were so stained that they were crispy. (it was white and looked like sex had been there.) I could not stop crying. When she got home I asked here about it and of course she had an explanation. She says that every woman has discharge all the time. ladies.... Is this true? I can agree with some maybe, but these looked like she came in them. This is making me tear up just writing it.

Please give me some advice/ support. I love her so much and do not want to end our marriage, but I am going crazy!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,494 • Replies: 41
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:27 pm
You've been married for 10 years, yet you treat your wife like
a prison guard his inmate. Checking her underwear and making
her defend herself is probably the most humiliating thing I have
ever heard.

No advice form here, you're lucky she didn't leave you a long
time ago.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:38 pm
D&C, your jealousy is making you crazy--that's what jealousy does to people. You'd better get into a therapy situation because whether your wife is or isn't cheating on you, you are screwing yourself up. You are probably hurting yourself more than her "cheating" (if she is cheating) can hurt you. And if she is innocent you are going to drive her away. Are you certain that that is not want you want?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:29 pm
There are so many people who come here wondering how to keep their cheating spouse - I don't understand you people - if your spouse is cheating, why would you want them? That has got to be the biggest turn off to me, ever.

With respect to you, if you suspect her of something, have it out. Who cares if there's shouting and tears? Get it out in the open. Ask her if she wants to leave. Ask her if she's cheating. Whatever - don't sneak around looking at her emails and underwear... ask her point-blank - ARE YOU CHEATING ON ME - DO YOU WANT TO LEAVE ME?

I don't know your particulars and don't really want to know more - just analyze why you're behaving the way you are and figure out if this is the way you want to live.

Don't bury your head in the sand.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:30 pm
Jesus man, give her some space. You're not going to win back her affection by constantly spying on her and confronting her on every suspicious thing she does.

It's just going to make her want to sneak away from you even more. Do you think this girl would still have married you if you treated her this way while you were dating? And if she doesn't feel like marrying you all over again, what's keeping her from just leaving now?

So yeah, I agree with Jane & JLN, but I will actually offer you some advice too.

1) Pull yourself together.

2) Lose the attitude of "she's my wife, she's not allowed to cheat." Face it, she is cheating, and getting angry at her will only further distance you from her. Since you love her, and you're willing to take her back, realize that she left you because you weren't giving her what she needed. When you got married you were. So try to win her back like you were dating her. That means, treat her with respect, give her space, try to be romantic, but don't smother her.

3) And when she inevitably acts suspiciously again, don't bother yourself with trying to find out the gritty details, because it doesn't really matter. You have to let it slide, and just focus on strengthening your own relationship so that she will WANT to be only with you, because you can't force her to be only with you if she is not feeling it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:32 pm
I often wonder what people think love means.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:43 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I often wonder what people think love means.[/quote

Here's a link to what 150 people think!

http://www.humanthermodynamics.com/RP2-Love.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:16 pm
You're asking the impossible -- there is no way we can tell you whether your wife is cheating, depressedand confused.

What is abundantly clear is that YOU have a problem with how things are going in the relationship. So, whether you're justified or not, that needs to be addressed and hopefully resolved. I agree with JLN that some sort of therapy/ counseling situation is probably the best idea there.

I know what you mean, Osso.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:33 pm
None of the above means she is cheating.

Maybe she doesn't want her cell phone looked at because she's being treated like a child - a child with no respect from a parent.

Maybe she doesn't care for the fact that you are badgering her about what she searches on the net - as if she's a child with no respect from a parent.

Maybe she really didn't feel like unpacking at the moment - she's not a child and doesn't have to do it on your schedule. And, if she had sex stained undies, why wouldn't she act like unpacking was no big deal and get them into the wash without drawing attention?

And, it sure as heck isn't much of a vacation or break when you are calling her all the time - as if she is a child with no trust from a parent. Just because you call doesn't mean she has to answer.

Sorry, I may be projecting here, but your behavior is way out of line. Grow up. If you get the feeling she may be cheating, ask her. If she says no, move on. Don't ignore obvious signs in the future, but for gawds sake, you aren't teenagers playing games. Respect, trust and expecting the best from your partner will result in you recieving the same.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 10:56 pm
I agree with the "grow up" part - can't you just ask her what the hell is going on?

Believe me, I'd have my husband on the plank until I found out. No cheating in my house! If you're double-dipping, you're out. Period. And I just don't get these people out there that want to go to counselling and 'work it out' and 'see what they did wrong'.

The non-cheater didn't do anything. That's not to say they're not part of the problem, but they didn't do anything to make the other guy CHEAT.

Cheating, like lying, stealing, like other behaviours, is a CHOICE. If a spouse cheats, it's their problem/responsibility/blame, not the other party's.

So, if your partner DID cheat, it's ALL on her because she had other options which she chose NOT to take. The cheating's all on her, get it?

And again, why would you want a cheating, lying partner? Ugh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 11:16 pm
I'll reserve judgement and reread this tomorrow.
0 Replies

depressedand confused

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:34 am
Okay... I appreciate all of the responses. Perhaps I didn't share enough of the situation.

I agree that over the last couple of months I have been rather suspicious. The last few years of our marriage has been terrific...up until a few months ago. She went back to school last fall and in the last few months has changed so much about herself. All of the behavior changes that seem to always have an excuse or reason behind them. My suspicions arose out of the lame excuses.

I have never been the "jealous" husband. I have always (until recently) trusted my wife. I never used to go to bed at night wondering. When we were in the process of moving across country we were apart for 11 days. During those 11 days there were a few nights that she could not be reached until after 1-2 AM. Her classes got out at 8 PM. She said she would be studying at the library or whatever. The night before I came back home to meet with the movers she was out until 2 AM. She again said she was at school.

That night that I got home... my curiosity got the best of me. That is when I looked at the internet history and saw a "Ask.com search" for "Plan B". Plan B is an emergency contraceptive for those that have had unprotected SEX within 72 hours. I was gone for 11 days! Why in the hell would she be looking for that?

Of course I asked her about it right then. It was a big fight but as I wrote in my original post... I told her I believed her.

The next couple weeks were okay. I still had my suspicions obviously, but I left them to myself. Everytime I try to talk to her about any of this... not necessarily the cheating thing) but about if she is happy. About what she feels like she needs from me that she is not getting.

I HAVE been going to see a counselor ALONE for the last 3 weeks, because I am driving myself crazy. Am I imagining all of these things or is it possible that this is it for us. Like may of you have written... my policy on cheating is the same.... IF SHE/HE CHEATS, THAT IS IT! GAME OVER. I absolutely refuse to live in a trustless marriage. She is supposed to be my best friend.

I have tried repeatedly to openly talk with her about this. Everytime I bring it up she tries to turn it around on me. She says things like this is all in my head. Maybe it is... I hope it is. I am trying to get some emotional support from my counselor on how to deal with this.

Thank you to the Mame that said that "if a spouse cheats, it is their problem/responsibility/blame" My counselor has said the same thing. I am trying to deal with it like that, but I just can't sit here and wait to find out if she really is. I need to now for my own sanity.

I am not proud of the "underwear thing". I realize exactly how disgusting and invasive that is, but I am desperate. I can't seem to get here to talk with me about any of this, so I have unfortunately resorted to looking for myself.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:50 am
I completely agree that there isn't an excuse for cheating -- that wasn't what I said, though. (Not sure if it was my post that was being referred to or not.)

I'm saying that you don't KNOW whether she cheated or not, but what you do know is that there are currently major issues in the relationship. Counseling can help you sort out those issues. Lots of ways that could go:

- In counseling, your wife admits she did cheat (she's already denied it so far, I don't know why she'd suddenly say yes she did if asked one more time), and that's dealt with, either by deciding to end the marriage or deciding it's salvageable and proceeding to put the work into salvaging it.

- In counseling, your wife maintains that she didn't cheat, and that's dealt with by helping you decide whether you can accept that or not, and where to go from here.

- In counseling, your wife presents good evidence that not only is she not cheating but you are being paranoid and unreasonable and that the paranoia is itself the main problem right now, and that's dealt with...

You get the idea.

Obviously, there are major unresolved issues right now. Counseling (both of you, though that's good that you are going yourself) can help resolve those issues, is all. "Resolve" doesn't mean "live happily ever after..." "Resolve" just means "deal with the current problems and move forward in the healthiest way possible."
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:07 am
Re: Is my wife cheating?
depressedand confused wrote:

I actually resorted to checking her dirty underwear. 2 of the 3 pairs were so stained that they were crispy. (it was white and looked like sex had been there.) I could not stop crying. When she got home I asked here about it and of course she had an explanation. She says that every woman has discharge all the time. ladies.... Is this true?

You are a sick man.

You wife shouldn't have to explain her discharge to you.
Please.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:14 am
if you absolutely know she's cheating then kick her to the curb and get on with it. Easy.
0 Replies

depressedand confused

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:19 am
That's my whole dilemma. I don't know for sure. Everything I have ever read or heard suggests that she is, but I can't get her to talk with me about it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:21 am
"Suggests" isn't enough when the stakes are this high.

What does she say about going to counseling together?
0 Replies

depressedand confused

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:28 am
She has said that she may go but that I need to go to deal with my issues first.

I acknowledge that I am not perfect. I pray that all of my paranoia is just that and that I can fix myself through counseling. She has just seemed so distant the last few months.

I think that if I would never have seen the "plan B" web search that I wouldn't be so scared right now.

I mean why, after 2 years of not being on birth control, was it so important to get back on before she went to Vegas? She says that she just doesn't want another baby. Neither do I, but dang, why now? With all of the other things she has been doing that is so out of the norm for her?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:45 am
Quote:
The non-cheater didn't do anything. That's not to say they're not part of the problem, but they didn't do anything to make the other guy CHEAT.

Cheating, like lying, stealing, like other behaviours, is a CHOICE. If a spouse cheats, it's their problem/responsibility/blame, not the other party's.

So, if your partner DID cheat, it's ALL on her because she had other options which she chose NOT to take. The cheating's all on her, get it?

Well said!
0 Replies

chris badmittons

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 03:21 pm
i hurt for you bro...i really think shes cheating on you but, like everyone else, i can't know for sure.the only way you will get any relief is ASK HER IF SHES CHEATING ON YOU!! tell her everything you told us, why you're suspicious.

good luck
0 Replies