Badly in Need of Reassurance

squinney

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:04 pm
Waiting with others to hear good news.

(smiling at the "only 43")

She couldn't have a better person to help her through whatever it may be.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:26 pm
I'm right there with everyone else...thinking of you and your wife. Glad to hear that you are checking into it and not dismissing it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:31 pm
Strange. I've always attributed my twisting words around like that to past drug use. I've been doing that for years and never gave it much thought.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:45 pm
My friend always did that - messed up words and said all the wrong things. Yes, we all thought it was amusing but she was always worried something was wrong with her...She has been like this since she was 18 or 19....

Come to think of it my friend has always been on birth control pills....I never thought this sponerism/malapropism could be the symptom of a serious problem. Good luck.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:58 pm
Geez. I was on the pill for seventeen years but I've been off for over fifteen. How interesting.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:05 am
Wishing you well and hoping the visit to the doctor will provide you with an answer. Not knowing is the pits.

For what it's worth (probably not much), what you describe doesn't sound like Alzheimer's, at least no how the disease manifested itself in my mother.

You'll be in my thoughts.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:41 am
Can't add anything - all has been said already.

(Just wondering why my wife sometimes says that I'm mixing up words ... Shocked )
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:58 am
I'm not suggesting your wife has this, because she is way too young, but the issue with language sounds like what my boyfriend's grandmother had after her stroke at a ripe old age in her late eighties: Dementia.

There are some treatable kinds, and since she is so young, if this relates to her at all, hopefully, well, here's a link with more information

Quote:
Treatable causes
Less than 5% of a sample of dementia cases have a potentially treatable cause. These include:

(F02.8/E01-E03) Hypothyroidism
(F02.8/E51) Vitamin B1 (thiamine) deficiency
(F02.8/E53.8) Vitamin B12, Vitamin A deficiency
(F03/F32-F33) Depressive pseudodementia (note: dementia and depression can coexist in many patients and can be difficult to differentiate.)
(G91.2) Normal pressure hydrocephalus
Tumor

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Z0XRmqAZtRMJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia+%22dementia%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:06 am
Dammit, Blacksmithn, I do hope all is well.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Blacksmithn and Mrs Blacksmithn)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 05:14 am
Best to you both. Please let us know how it all shakes out. Hugs from here.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 06:35 am
All my love to both of you...
Getting impatient to hear good news now!!!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 06:46 am
She goes in today at 3:00 to see the doctor. We sat and talked awhile after we both got home yesterday. She's really afraid it's a tumor. I told her that whatever it takes, we'll get through it and everything will be okay. She says, yes, but you didn't sign on for anything like this! I put her hand over my heart and asked if she felt it beating. Yes. I told her "that's you in there; where you go, I go. Now and forever." I also used the line about hearing hoofbeats and assuming it's a zebra, etc. That comforted her, so thank you for that.

Bottom line is we won't know anything until late this afternoon, if then. We're both on pins and needles, as I'm sure you can imagine.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 06:46 am
I wish the best for her blacksmith; my wife thinks she might be going through perimenopause / menopause, but she is not the biggest fan of doctors plus she's independent and tough to a fault.

Hot flashes and mood swings.......
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 06:51 am
It nearly made me cry, reading your last post!

Together you can do it, whatever IT is!!!
0 Replies

suzyque59

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 07:20 am
Badly in need of assurance
I too believe that the neurologist is the one to go to. This language problem can be a symptom of many disorders other than menopause. I think it is dangerous to self-diagnose and it is also demeaning to middle-aged women to put all their ailments down to menopause!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 07:37 am
blacksmithin
Quote:
I put her hand over my heart and asked if she felt it beating. Yes. I told her "that's you in there; where you go, I go. Now and forever.
Wow, thats great. Im gonna use that one. Keep her spirits up, thats the ticket.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 07:41 am
blacksmithin
Quote:
I put her hand over my heart and asked if she felt it beating. Yes. I told her "that's you in there; where you go, I go. Now and forever.
Wow, thats great. Im gonna use that one. Keep her spirits up, thats the ticket.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:33 am
Sounds like you done good.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:40 am
blacksmith, I was first going to say "well, I'm only 46 and that happens to me."

Then I realized I'm 48. So, I suppose that shows I'm in the same boat.

I'm in complete agreement with boomer, many doctors don't know much about menopause, and it's so different for every woman.

Don't go by her hormone level, if it's only been tested once. In women, it changes day to day.

Last year, I skipped a period or 2 and mentioned this to my doctor the next time I went, maybe 3 months later. Labs were drawn and I was told my levels were well in the normal range......then I proceeded not to get a period for 4 months (maybe 5).

Could be many things, or a combination. I forget the word for things too, like "bath robe" and "medicine cabinet"

At what age did you wifes mother, sisters, aunts etc go into menapause?

I'll be watching too to see what the doctor says.

She'll be fine because she's got you.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:48 am
Re: Badly in need of assurance
suzyque59 wrote:
it is also demeaning to middle-aged women to put all their ailments down to menopause!

sorry to come back so soon..

suzyque59, I couldn't agree with you more.

I had a doctor (had is the operative word) who was attributing my panic attacks to my being middle-aged. I could just see what was going through his mind "oh, here's another one of those getting old women going through the change, fussing about a little hyperventilation and 200 beat/min heart rate"

blacksmith, if what the doctors doesn't ring true, like above, don't hesitate to get a 2nd opinion.
0 Replies