Wife leaves and sleeps with anotther man.

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 01:59 pm
Texwill--

You may or may not be ideal husband material. I suspect not, because most of us fall short of a marital ideal. I have a good opinion of myself, but I'd never claim perfection.

From your account your wife seems very immature, very impulsive and a bit of a drama queen.

When you were courting, these qualities appealed to you. Why?
0 Replies

texwill

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 03:21 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Texwill--

You may or may not be ideal husband material. I suspect not, because most of us fall short of a marital ideal. I have a good opinion of myself, but I'd never claim perfection.

From your account your wife seems very immature, very impulsive and a bit of a drama queen.

When you were courting, these qualities appealed to you. Why?

I wholeheartly agree that I am far from ideal 'husband material". At least based on the romantic movie/romance novel standard which some women seem to use as the yardstick. Even discounting all that, I am just a regular guy with a decent job and education thats trying to be as good a person as I am able, in spite of my flaws.

Insofar as immaturity, impulsiveness and drama appealing to me, I dont think that was what I fell in love with. But I suppose you might be onto something, I have to think about that. I have accepted some responsibility for this, but I am still unsure how much is fair to place on myself or her when considering my options.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 03:46 pm
Texwill--

Quote:
Insofar as immaturity, impulsiveness and drama appealing to me, I dont think that was what I fell in love with. But I suppose you might be onto something, I have to think about that. I have accepted some responsibility for this, but I am still unsure how much is fair to place on myself or her when considering my options.

You did not twist your wife's arm and plunk her down in another man's bed. Or force her to pack her clothes and move out.

You may--or may not--have contributed to a climate in which she felt misunderstood. Most married adults try to work problems out through discussion rather than making wild, hurtful gestures.

You sound like divided man. Part of you sees an obligation to honor your marriage vows. Part of you is completely disgusted with the actions of a child-woman (who is responsible for her actions and for the fallout from her actions).
0 Replies

texwill

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 03:54 pm
You hit the nail on the head Noddy.

I am extremely divided, and for the reasons you listed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 04:28 pm
Texwill--

One person can very easily break a marriage, but it is impossible for one person, without support, to save a marriage.

How long can you push a car uphill?

This is the value of marital counseling. You and your wife would decide together whether you feel the marriage is worth saving. You and your career may not be the rose garden she envisioned when she married you. You may not be able to stomach her impulsive, dramatic approach to conflict.

I'd be willing to guess that to some degree, each of you married a Stranger.

Is she willing to continue counseling? Are you?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 04:58 pm
Re: Wife leaves and sleeps with anotther man.
texwill wrote:
My wife and I dated for over three years before we got married and were happy. I truly don't believe that she had ever cheated on me. Three months after we were married she left me. Then begged to come back and then when she did, left me again two months after that. Then had sex with a total stranger less than a week after sleeping with me.

Before she left the first time, she said that she was unhappy with me because based on what she said I think she expected our marriage to better than our dating. She was upset that I didn't touch, caress or compliment her as much as she said she wanted. I am aware that I am not an overly "touchy-feely" man (especially in public), but I never have been, and we were happy before and she was so exited to get married to me. She was also upset that I went out with my best friend (who was best man at our wedding, and she has always maintained that she liked) once a week, as I have for almost ten years. She confronted me about her feelings and told me that she was unhappy, and I told her that I was as well but over other issues. I had never been married before and haven't had a roommate or lived with anyone since I was in the Army years ago, and sometimes got 'cabin fever' as I sometimes like to read or spend a small amount of time alone and could no longer do this as we work the same day hours.

Reading - and other kinds of solitary pursuits like study, writing, or art or crafts - can be done by two people in the same home. I do agree that some alone time is reasonable, even necessary for well-being. I had a boss once that loved his long drive to work because it was the only alone-time he had.

Keeping up a long time friendship is reasonable to me - a person can't be all things to another - once a week seems pushing it, or not - meeting at the coffee shop? poker marathons?

One saturday I went out with my best friend to see a band in another city two hours away and at about 10:00 PM she calls my cellphone and tells me that she's moving out. By the time I return home, she and all her things are moved out of our house.

Well, I can see being miffed if you both usually have weekends not at work, and saturday night is a special event night for you two. Moving out of the house over it? Sounds like a situation of "straw on the camel's back" - that there was a lot more causing irritation than that one instance. Sounds like a big communication gap at the least.

Over the next few days we talk and she tells me that she was upset and that if I had come home faster and stopped her she wouldn't have left. She also said that she thought that she was the cause of me being unhappy, and that she loved me so much that she wanted to be happy, so she left.

I think she left because she was angry at the time, probably angry and hurt. Not that she didn't also want you to be happy.. emotions are sometimes complex.

After talking more, she begged me to take her back, and I told her that it would be hard for me, because it hurt my feelings to be abandoned in the middle of the night. But I agreed to take her back, because I still loved (and love) her. I also asked her to promise to not do that again. She promised.

Hmmm, so big of you - you think. There seems a big lack of communication between you re why she was so unhappy about your behavior that she would actually move out. It's not just you that was hurt. You were both seeing yourselves as hurt, and you got to be the "I agreed to take her back" person.

A couple of months later, she expressed how she was still unhappy and how I needed to show her more affection and attention. This, I admit, was harder for me because I was still hurt by her running off on me. I told her this. She said that I had to just forgive her. I told her that I didn't know if I could forget it, and I admitted that I sometimes wondered if she would be at home when I got there from work at times. She asked me if I would ever forgive her and love her the same was as I did when we got married and I said that I didn't know if it would ever be the same until I could find a way to understand what was really going on with her. That very night, she said that she couldn't be in the same house with me if that was the case, and immediately left again. The next day she brought help and moved all of her things out again.

Two people wounded and wounding. Failure to communicate again.

We were still talking about our marriage and what was wrong and so on. Then on a saturday night two weeks later I went out and inadvertently found her at our local bar&grill all dressed up by herself (no girlfriends) sitting next to some guy I didn't know. I went up to her and asked how she was, and she smiled and asked me if she could buy me a drink. The guy next to her didn't behave like I thought a guy on a 'date' would have under the circumstances. And of course, neither did she, based on her response. I told her "No thanks" and left and went home.

Another loss of a chance to communicate.

Later that night she called me and asked if she could come over because she was drunk and wanted to make love. I agreed to it. The next morning before she left she said how much she enjoyed it, and wanted to do that again.

The next couple of days, she called and kept asking me to lunch and I declined

Now I'm beginning to wonder, and go back and look at the start of your thread - You're looking for help because your wife had sex with another man. But you stubbornly resisted her efforts to get back with you, as shown in the rest of your paragraph....

and also emailed me asking if we could just "date" like before. I responded that because we were still married that might seem odd to be "dating". She responded back something like "OK so we can just be married like before then?" I said that couldn't happen because we hadn't worked out our issues. She kept calling, and on a wednesday, three days after we made love, we got in a heated argument on the phone and she suggested that our marriage was "all or nothing" and she wanted to get back together again, and that was that. I said some hurtful things to her in response, such as "If thats how you feel, then go file for divorce then; I dent want you moving back in right now" and "you weren't acting like someone that wanted to be married last saturday out all dolled up letting other men hit on you and buy you drinks" and so on.

That same week, friday, two days after our telephone argument, and six days after we last made love, I learn from a concerned mutual friend who called me that she is out slowdancing and hugged up with some other guy at a dance club.

Well, she had tried to get back with you... and was feeling, I would surmise, resentful, and needy at the same time. Not perhaps the most mature behaviour, but understandable.

I check into it and find this to be true, and not only that, they are kissing and rubbing on eachother. Then she drives him to his house and goes inside and stays the night.

I agree with Sozobe that this is creepy to me. You wouldn't take her back. What are you doing checking what she is up to? That is her business.

I call her cellphone that morning at about 8:00 AM and she doesn't answer. About 9:30 she finally leaves his house. She gets to where she is staying a little later.

This watching stuff IS creepy.

I go in person and ask her what was going on. She tells me that she was out with her friends and invents a long and complicated story about how she spent all night driving her friends around and stayed at her friends house to take care of her because she was sick. Knowing this was all lies, I became even more hurt and left.
Oh, boy.

Two days later we begin talking again. She says that she did want to get back together with me and I told her that was impossible without honesty. It took more time but over the next few days and several different versions of the story, more truth emerged. She admitted that she met some guy and danced with him, and did the "freak dance" at the club (where man rubs his groin on the behind of the woman) and let him rub her thighs. She was wearing a skirt and no underwear at the time. Then they went to eat and then kissed him for a few minutes in the parking lot and let him rub her legs again. Then drove him to his house and went in and got undressed and rubbed his back, kissed and then had sex with him. Then the next morning my phone call woke her up, and after waking she got on top of this guy again and had sex with him again.

She tells me that she was hurt and was looking for someone to make her feel good. She also said that she has never done anything like that before, but she just wasn't herself that night and next morning.
That sounds about right.

This making her tell all the details is also on the creepy side. The only important thing is that she did have sex, and therefore the question of protection if you two have sex again is important. The details are not your business. You don't own her. People who are married do not own each other, and, by the way, you wouldn't take her back.

People who are married, at least many of them, have promised to be faithful. That is not the same thing as ownership.

I still love her more than I have ever loved anyone before, in spite of all this, but I am so horribly hurt and confused. I have read probably hundreds of forums and marriage counseling websites and cannot seem get any satisfactory answers to this dilema. She and I even went to counseling a couple of days ago and I didn't feel any better about this.

Is there any realistic hope for us?
I don't know. I can see counselling helping both of you, but it would be for much more than one visit.

Any advice? Any opinions? Anything like this happen to anyone else?
Things like this happen with people all the time.

Thanks!
0 Replies

badgirl29

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:10 pm
I'm sorry but your wife is very immature. It's easier said than done but you need to move on. Sad Take it from someone who knows, once a cheater always a cheater.
0 Replies

jazzieB123

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:31 am
Hi Texwill

I've only been married a year (and am still trying to work thru the mystery that is marriage!) so am not really qualified to comment but I'll try to shed light where I can. It is obvious that neither of you are getting what you want out of the relationship - so I hope that marriage counselling can help identify what you each want out of it.

Your wife has a need for affection and attention and if she cannot get it from you, perhaps she is seeking it from elsewhere in order to punish you for not giving her the affection she said she needed in the first place.

I'm sure you've tried bending before and being softer, affectionate, but try again. Give her what she wants and see what happens. Give her the affection and attention she so craves and, in time, (having given her something that she needs) ask for something in return. Not in a tit-for-tat way, but in a conciliatory / compromising sense. Do not manipulate each other but just talk for god's sake and find out what each of you want. What you need. And perhaps try to begin learning about how to fulfill some of those needs.

I agree with other posters that many opportunities for discussion have been missed, so make an appointment with your wife to sit and just talk about what each of you want. Identify the needs / wants that can be fulfilled by the other person & the ones that can't. Work out how to fulfill them (such as seeing your friends, spending time with your wife, spending time alone, etc). It's impossible for our loved one to fulfill all of our needs so don't get ambition confused with ability!

Finally, she sounds emotionally and intellectually immature, but I must reiterate ... all her drama & histrionics are intended for one purpose. That is, for you to take notice and to recognise that this is her way of telling you that her needs / wants are not being fulfilled. It's not very sophisticated but it sounds like the best she can do at the moment.

If you want to keep her, listen to her. Try to give her something she wants. If you don't want to stay married to her, then ignore her and she'll probably run away with someone else & wipe her feet on your heart on the way out the door (if she has not already done so).

I hope this makes sense. I wish you luck in your quest to get things back on track - if, in fact, that is what you both want.

-- jazzie
0 Replies

loosecannon

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 10:44 pm
oh texwill,

i am sorry to have to say some things that you dont want to hear.
i mean you well, and i want you to be a happy well adjusted person;
that is why i am saying what i am saying.
please take from this what you can, and trust that i have BEEN THERE!

your wife does not respect you.
why?
because she knows she is doing wrong and cant respect anyone that puts up with her ****.

as long as you fight to stay with her, she will continue to do this to you because you are saying to her, "go ahead and treat me wrong; i will stick around anyway."

if she can lie straight to your face like that, she does not respect you.
this is not your fault.

you did not teach her to be this way. she has been acting this way for a long time before you came around.

the bad news about that is that it also means that you cannot "fix" her, although i know you really want to.

you see, people need to be on their own to grow most of the time.
as a rule, people do not do most of their growing in a relationship because there is someone else there to blame things on, enable our bad behavior and so on...

many times we invest all of ourselves into someone because that is what we feel is the right thing to do, but we are blinded to the fact that the other person in the equation also needs to be able and willing to do the same thing.

you have found out that your partner is not there yet.
no, she does not know why.
no, she does not know why she acts the way she does.
yes, she honestly believes that she loves you.

love and respect are very different things, but both must be there at all times to make a marriage work.

the reason that she doesnt know this stuff is because she isnt at a place in her development yet where she is even looking inside herself for the answers.
she doesnt even know what the questions are yet.

you cannot help her with this. she must do these things on her own, and without you around.

if you choose to try and be her one and only while she learns this stuff, she will hurt you very badly over and over again.

this is what being the bigger person is all about.
not one of us has ever realized that it was time for us to change because someone else told us what to do and how to do it.

she will resent you for trying to "be her dad".

i really am sorry if this seems too decisive and harsh, but beating around the bush and filling your head with false hopes will get you hurt.

right now, you need to concentrate on yourself and try to be the best person you can.
you MUST LET HER GO!!!
do not try to be a buddy.
do not follow her, or drive by her house at night to see if she is home or not.

this will be very hard.
if you do not do it, you will end up hating her.

she WILL think that she hates you for ending things.
she will try to lure you back with sex and promises.
you need to be strong and know that she cannot possibly keep these promises because she doesnt yet know how, and you cant teach her.

she may need to hate you for a while to move on.
you will be the guy that showed her what a good man will and wont put up with, but this will take time for her to learn.

the biggest deal is to not chase after her because you feel like you have "lost".
let her be mad and run away, be very proud of your emotional maturity,
and be happy that you will know from then on what your needs are, and that you will not accept anyone who does not want to meet them.

i wish you the best of luck, and hope things work out so that you are happy,
loosecannon
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 10:49 pm
Interesting that the general surmise is that it is all on the wife, by us - more or less (I'm still unsure on that) - who know not much at all re the marriage.

I feel free to post that as I, a woman, have found myself siding with one or the other faily often - sometimes NOT the one posting. Truth is, we don't know, this is just a forum where people talk.
0 Replies

texwill

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 03:51 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Interesting that the general surmise is that it is all on the wife, by us - more or less (I'm still unsure on that) - who know not much at all re the marriage.

I feel free to post that as I, a woman, have found myself siding with one or the other faily often - sometimes NOT the one posting. Truth is, we don't know, this is just a forum where people talk.

I expected there to be bias especially from some female posters. The comments that had zero to do with the issue about how I discoved the event on that friday, for example. Or the justifications. I must wonder whether if the roles were reversed these kinds of responses would have been at all similar. If I claimed that I was unhappy with my spouse because she didnt pay me more attention than she had paid me when we were dating, and so I left her and slept with another woman if that would be "understandable" as well. Or that what I do sexually with other women is none of my wife's business. I suspect these kinds of posts are dismissable when fairly considered in this light.

But overall, most of the posts were what I would consider fair and helpful to some degree or another.

She and I are still talking, and its actually looking better on some levels as she has started becoming more honest with me about a lot of things that she had been either lying to me about or concealing (by omission) about her past. This is greatly helping me better understand her and why she responds and behaves the way she does and has.

I am finding that I am just now, after knowing her for over 4 years, actually getting to really know her. As sad as that may seem.
0 Replies

texwill

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 03:51 pm
ossobuco wrote:

I expected there to be bias especially from some female posters. The comments that had zero to do with the issue about how I discoved the event on that friday, for example. Or the justifications. I must wonder whether if the roles were reversed these kinds of responses would have been at all similar. If I claimed that I was unhappy with my spouse because she didnt pay me more attention than she had paid me when we were dating, and so I left her and slept with another woman if that would be "understandable" as well. Or that what I do sexually with other women is none of my wife's business. I suspect these kinds of posts are dismissable when fairly considered in this light.

But overall, most of the posts were what I would consider fair and helpful to some degree or another.

She and I are still talking, and its actually looking better on some levels as she has started becoming more honest with me about a lot of things that she had been either lying to me about or concealing (by omission) about her past. This is greatly helping me better understand her and why she responds and behaves the way she does and has.

I am finding that I am just now, after knowing her for over 4 years, actually getting to really know her. As sad as that may seem.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 04:09 pm
Texwill--

I'm glad to hear that you are making some order out of the chaos in your mind and your marriage.

Four years is a long time to be living in partial ignorance. Even if your discoveries are unpleasant, truth is worthwhile.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 04:39 pm
(I keep telling myself not to post in the relationship forum, not to try to advise, that we can't know enough of the situation, that we're only hearing one side, yadda, yadda, yadda. And yet ...)

What I see here is toxicity. These are 2 people who are not good for each, not supporting each other, who enable the nasty side of their partner. And between them, they've created a very bad situation. Can they change? Is it possible to get over this mountain of muck? I wish them all the best, but don't have much optimism.

(And I would love you to come back at a future date, texwill, and show me that I was wrong.)
0 Replies

texwill

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:31 am
Well, last night she informed me that based on what she read on the Internet, I "emotionally abused" her and thats why she left the first time. Not in the over three years we dated. And not since. Just the three months before she packed up and took off in the middle of the night.

I don't know how much more of this I can stand.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 11:16 am
She wouldn't by any chance be smoking hot and/or exceptional in bed would she? Trust me, there's relevance in this question. Details not necessary; your assessment is (and your perspective on how others view her would be helpful as well).

As for your knowledge of her whereabouts that Saturday night; you're not being fair with the posters here. While it's perfectly understandable that you'd want to know; that does sound stalker-creepy. That you're in a position of authority makes it sound worse, not better. Put yourself in the usually weaker sex's shoes for a minute. No one's accusing you of being a bad guy… but if you are, you have the potential to be a true horror. Given your line of work; you already know that, so be fair.

I'll need an answer to that first question to respond intelligently. I suspect I have this figured out.
0 Replies

texwill

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 12:02 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
She wouldn't by any chance be smoking hot and/or exceptional in bed would she? Trust me, there's relevance in this question. Details not necessary; your assessment is (and your perspective on how others view her would be helpful as well).

I'll need an answer to that first question to respond intelligently. I suspect I have this figured out.

Actually yes, and yes. She is very physically attractive. And I would consider her very good in bed as well.

Others seem to view her as an attractive woman as well. At her employment, she seems to get an undue amount of male attention, and when we are out together, many men will unabashedly stare at her. She does dress somewhat provacatively at times as well, which adds to this attention. Lowcut cleavage-baring shirts or dresses, tight miniskirts, etc.

Does that help at all? What do you think you have figured out?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
texwill wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Actually yes, and yes. She is very physically attractive. And I would consider her very good in bed as well.

Others seem to view her as an attractive woman as well. At her employment, she seems to get an undue amount of male attention, and when we are out together, many men will unabashedly stare at her. She does dress somewhat provacatively at times as well, which adds to this attention. Lowcut cleavage-baring shirts or dresses, tight miniskirts, etc.

Does that help at all? What do you think you have figured out?

Yup... that's what I figured. You speak with something of a logic disconnect that frequently accompanies these attributes.

Good in bed: I'd wager she also makes you feel like a king in bed, especially during makeup sex, and that's part of what you can't let go of. Women who truly turn you on are always the hardest to leave behind (even when we know we should). I'd further wager that she uses this to her advantage, and too often you react quick enough to make Pavlov proud. How many arguments went unresolved because SEX was more enticing? Lots, I bet.

Attractiveness: Again, shooting from the hip with no actual knowledge, I'd wager that part of what you're afraid to leave behind is your image (powerful man with the sexy wife). Her status isn't just the love of your life, but also your trophy. You like that people envy you and don't want to lose that either.

There's nothing inherently wrong with either of the above, conversely; good sex and a healthy sense of pride in you and yours is a good thing. The problem here is it's obscuring your vision as to what the status of your relationship really is. For an experiment; set aside the good sex and good looks and pretend they were just ordinary. Do you still want to stay with a woman who leaves you every other month and sometimes sleeps with other guys? Really?

Like other commenter's here I would consider it unlikely for her behavior to change... especially if you can't put your finger on some better reasons to love her than the one's I've listed. What are the other attributes you find irresistible? Do you know? Do she know? Do you go out of you way to make sure she knows? You'd better if you want her to find a way to be happy with you.

At the same time; what does she find irresistible about you? Does she know? Do you? Does she go out of her way to let you know?

If, and it's a pretty big IF, the two of you can have an open communication about what really makes you want to be together (beyond the superficial stuff); you may still have a chance. Is there enough there other than the things I mentioned to still want to? Are you willing to put forth the communicative effort required, so she doesn't feel like a taken for granted trophy? Also, to have any chance at all, it is paramount that you find a way to make peace with what has already taken place, and forgive each other... not just say you do. You can not have a relationship without trust… and faking it won't help, because you can't fool yourself.

Hope my babbling in some way helps you figure something out your self. Best of luck.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 01:43 pm
I was one, possibly the only one, who said the details of your wife's relationship with others is not your business, especially in lieu of your not letting her come back and avoidance of communication (but not only in regard to that - people do not own each other).

That she did have sex with another, that simple fact - and not the details of it - is your business, since you would need to protect yourself from potential sexually transmitted disease, and since the marriage vow was not followed, whatever the provovation from her point of view for her not to follow it. Though, let me just repeat, the sex with another occurred when you wouldn't take her back and refused attempts to communicate. As readers here, we don't know that she had done that before.

Your assumption that anyone who might not think your own behavior is perfect is biased in favor of their own gender - is a kind of willed blindness. I'm not arguing that your wife is correct in her actions. I'm
hoping you begin to look at your own role in this relationship.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 01:51 pm
Osso--

She's been emotionally abused because her husband won't cut short a planned weekend with the boys and rush home to her?

I think Occom Bill makes and excellent point.

Ms. Texwill is a very high maintainance woman--seemingly a sophisticated Woman of the World, but young and clingy with needs going way, way back.
0 Replies