IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

plainoldme

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
Did he warn us before or after he became senile?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:48 am
I see the hate filled left is well represented here.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 10:39 am
@H2O MAN,
There's nothing wrong with hate; all humans experience it. However, to label it as a left only ailment only shows how ignorant you are!
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 10:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI, you hate your ignorant self.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 11:39 am
@BillRM,
An example of what happens with central planning and government programmed health care, RM.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 11:40 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

An example of what happens with central planning and government programmed health care, RM.

No, it isn't. But you knew that before you wrote.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

okie wrote:

No, it isn't. But you knew that before you wrote.
Cycloptichorn

Yes it is and no I did not, because it is. I quote the following from RM's post, proving it was a federally funded program being managed by the Florida state government:
" The Florida Department of Health plans to drop about 350 uninsured HIV/AIDS patients from a federally funded program that pays for all or most of their drugs, because of a budget crisis."
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:26 pm
So is this an example of what happens with "central planning and government-managed health care" okie?
Quote:

Wellpoint Drops Coverage For Some Women With Breast Cancer
Apr. 23 2010 - 11:04 am
Posted by Mary Ellen Egan

mammogram
Yesterday, an investigation by Reuters revealed that Wellpoint routinely drops coverage of women with breast cancer. According to the report, Wellpoint used a computer algorithm that automatically targeted every policy holder recently diagnosed with breast cancer. The software triggered a fraud investigation and the company would then search for any pretext—say a late payment or a reportedly missing form—to drop them.
Unfortunately this type of behavior on the part of an insurer isn’t unusual. Each year tens of thousands of Americans lose their health insurance after being diagnosed with an expensive or life-threatening illness. The practice, known as “recission,” has been well documented by government regulators for years. Last year, a congressional committee said that Wellpoint was one of the worst offenders.
But what’s particularly troubling in this case is that Wellpoint is run by woman. Angela Braly has been its chief executive for the last five years and had to have known that this was going on under her watch. And it is puzzling that the company would target breast cancer patients when Braly has championed women’s health issues and has received accolades for improving the care and treatment of women with breast cancer.

However, when I step back and put aside my indignation, I realize that Braly is acting like a businessperson and not a woman. Her job is to keep costs under control and keep her shareholders happy. But it’s a sad day when it becomes evident that profits are more important than a person’s life.

That's from Forbes Magazine, not exactly an overly liberal source. And it's a perfect example of why America's private health system is inferior. If you're going to cost them too much, they drop you. But then you noticed that, didn't you, okie, when you recently switched the private health insurance program you spent months extolling to us when you realized one unforeseen expensive illness could bankrupt you. Which does NOT happen in single-payer systems.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:41 pm
And did you read your own post, okie?
Quote:
" The Florida Department of Health plans to drop about 350 uninsured HIV/AIDS patients from a federally funded program that pays for all or most of their drugs, because of a budget crisis."

The FEDS are paying for the drugs that keep them alive. It's the state of Florida that's letting them die, because it claims it costs too much. It's Florida that's Ebenezer Scrooging "then let them die and decrease the surplus population" them, just like Wellpoint.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:42 pm
@MontereyJack,
MJ, I have never claimed there were no problems that did not need fixing. You have pointed out areas that need fixing, but I still think we should not throw the baby out with the bath water.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:44 pm
What do you do when the problems are integral parts of the system, okie?
okie

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:58 pm
@MontereyJack,
I don't think they are, MJ. For example, can an auto insurance company cancel your insurance after you report an accident, so that they don't have to pay the damages? And can a homeowner's insurance be canceled when the agent looks out the window and sees a tornado coming, so he calls a client to cancel the policy? I don't think so, and I think the same principle should apply to health issues, I do not think an insurance company should be allowed to drop coverage after a health problem emerges or begins to be treated. I think this goes right to the heart of how any insurance policy should work. I think we can fix some of those basic things, to set the ground rules of how insurance is defined and the conditions of how an insurance company does business and provides a service. In other words, insurance needs to be insurance, not some cheap substitute that is called insurance.

To use another example, if an auto lube place claims they are changing the oil by just screwing the drain plug out and then screwing it back in with no new oil, no, that is not an oil change. The same principle applies to insurance. It is not truly insurance if the policy does not endure to truly insure something. So I think such problems you point out could be fixed with some fairly simple legislative fixes. We did not need to reform the entire system, we just needed to tweak it here and there.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 08:10 pm
@okie,
okie, All insurance policies, no matter what kind, spells out the policy in detail. Where have you lived all these years? On Mars?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 09:09 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

MJ, I have never claimed there were no problems that did not need fixing. You have pointed out areas that need fixing, but I still think we should not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Yeah, but it's regulations and the hand of government that fixes these things. Companies don't fix themselves and they don't police themselves. They have no incentive to do so and you can't trust them to do so.

So how do we fix these problems without regulation of their industry? You decry the method that is used to fix these problems constantly.

Quote:
I do not think an insurance company should be allowed to drop coverage after a health problem emerges or begins to be treated.

And the Health Care reform bill fixes this. And it removed your lifetime cap, like you said the other day. It does a lot of things you like or will like when you find out about them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 09:58 pm
Several years ago, my house was vandalized. I filed a claim. The insurance company paid some money then dropped me a year later. Perhaps, it was the welcome vandals sign I put in my front lawn.
okie

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:43 pm
@plainoldme,
I can identify with your experience. Many years ago, we lived in a suburb of a major city in the west, and like most suburbanites, we had a family dog in the back yard. Not a mean or vicious dog at all, and not a huge dog, just a little territorial, actually just a border collie husky mix. While we were gone, a kid from out of town came to visit his grandmother that lived down the street a few houses, not even a person we knew well at all. While there, he wandered down the street and came to our backyard fence while we were gone, reached his arm over the fence to pet a seemingly nice dog. Our dog merely nipped him on the arm, thats all, nothing serious. Guess what, the kid gets taken to the emergency room and treated, costing about a hundred bucks or so. The kid's family then called and got our insurance company identification, called them, and filed a claim. I talked to the insurance company about it and explained that our yard was fenced and that the kid had no permission to be there and was trespassing into our back yard when he reached over the fence, so I did not think they should pay the hospital charges. What did they do? They paid it and then a month or so later, they canceled my homeowners insurance. When I called, they very plainly explained that their company allows one dog bite, thats all, and no protestation by me made a difference. I asked if I should have had a sign on my fence that said "Beware of Dog?" They said no, that is like admitting that you know your dog might bite, so don't do that. I told them that okay, that is your decision, but be aware that I will never recommend your company to anyone for any insurance at all. The company was Safeco, for anyone wondering.
okie

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Where have you lived all these years? On Mars?
I grew up in Oklahoma, does that count?
P.S. I sometimes feel like I am on Mars when I read some of your opinions here, ci.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 10:54 pm
@okie,
You certainly must feel you are on mars when you read my post, because they challenge your claims and counter-claims with persistence - that you fail to respond with evidence to prove otherwise.
okie

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 01:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
If you consider the following a valid challenge, that explains why I don't answer most of your foolishness, ci.
Quote:
Where have you lived all these years? On Mars?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 10:44 am
@okie,
That's because no matter how often facts and evidence are presented, you ignore them. You are not human in any sense of the word. Only aliens think as you do.

Besides, that's not the reason you don't answer my questions. You would have to contradict yourself if you did.

That's what happens to liars; you can't keep your story straight.
0 Replies