IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

okie

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:17 pm
@old europe,
old europe, I have never said I was against all regulation. I am against over regulation. I am for the government acting as a referee, but I am against the government actually playing the game, or over-refereeing. But free markets do require that the players play fair. For example, in a basketball game, pushing, shoving and tackling are against the rules. Double dribbling and walking with the ball are against the rules. Similarly, open, free, and fair competition also requires some rules, and enforcement of the rules. And just because a few rules are needed does in no way negate the effectiveness of the game when played fairly. Competition does not mean that it is a free for all. I am in favor of applying the law to the rules of the free market, but that in no way indicates the market is not free. That would be as ridiculous as claiming that there was no competition in a basketball game because pushing and shoving were not allowed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:43 pm
@okie,
You're an idiot!
Even with rules, people break them for greed - even in sports.

You don't know much about anything, so quit making stupid statements.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:47 pm
Quote:
Double dribbling and walking with the ball are against the rules.
once again Okie provides indepth analysis of international macro-economics.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:11 pm
@dyslexia,
How can okie explain anything about macro-economics when he doesn't even understand Econ 101?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:23 pm
@dyslexia,
I don't know. I'm in trouble after some long years, something like forty, of being good, and, after years of regular med insurance, I deal now with clinics and medicaid supplemented medicare, while some rule won't let my doc just give me a month of my bp meds without her talking to m - it's been something like eight days.. So, my nice trip has some angst. She has to talk to me before renewing the prescription - which I get - but this is useless, since she hasn't called, for days.

Meantime, I'll borrow.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:40 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
Double dribbling and walking with the ball are against the rules.
once again Okie provides indepth analysis of international macro-economics.

Well, and he's THE expert in universal health care and health insurances in general.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:24 am
This has been my concern, and it's also Lieberman's concern. I'm not sure how Cyclo can conclude that estimates are being offered in all five plans when a senator has questions about its cost.

From Reuters:

Quote:
Senate healthcare bill draws skeptics, opponents
By Donna Smith and John Whitesides Donna Smith And John Whitesides Tue Oct 27, 8:16 pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) " A healthcare reform bill with a government-run insurance option faced an uncertain future in the Senate on Tuesday, with many centrist Democrats uncommitted and Senator Joe Lieberman strongly opposed.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid's decision to include a government-run "public" option in the Senate bill failed to sway about a dozen moderates who said they wanted more details before making their decisions.

Democrats said Reid was still short of the 60 votes needed to overcome procedural hurdles and pass a bill with a public option, which has become one of the most contentious issues in the debate on President Barack Obama's top domestic priority.

The healthcare bills in the Senate and the House of Representatives aim to rein in costs, expand coverage to millions of uninsured and bar insurers from denying coverage for pre-existing conditions or dropping coverage for the sick.

Health insurer stocks rallied on skepticism that a government-run plan, seen as detrimental to the industry, would win passage. That view was fueled by Lieberman's comments.

Lieberman, an independent who caucuses with Democrats, said he would not join Republicans on a procedural vote to block the healthcare bill from coming up for debate, but would be willing to block a final vote on the plan if it remained unchanged.

"I don't support a government-operated health insurance company that will end up costing the taxpayers a lot of money," he told reporters.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
Gyargh!!

Have either You or Lieberman read the bills? The Public Option is not an entitlement program! In all bills, it is funded by the premiums paid in by taxpayers.

And every projection, by the CBO and by economists, shows that it will save money over a bill which doesn't include a public option. Save the government money. It is a cost-efficient device, not one which adds costs.

Geez, I just want to tear my hear out, this is so damn frustrating

Here, from TPM -

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/10/key-senators-react-to-liebermans-fuzzy-public-option-logic.php?ref=fpa

Quote:
Key Senators React To Lieberman's Fuzzy Public Option Logic
Brian Beutler | October 28, 2009, 9:32AM

One of the most puzzling things about Sen. Joe Lieberman's opposition to the public option is that he says it's based in a belief that a new government "entitlement" will end up being a large burden on taxpayers. In fact, the public option will be paid into (i.e. not subsidized like an entitlement) and the vast consensus among experts, partisan and non-partisan, is that a public option will save the government lots of loot. Moreover, they conclude that the bigger the plan is, the more money it will save.

Yesterday, I asked Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-ME) and Lieberman's Connecticut colleague Chris Dodd (D-CT) what they thought of Lieberman's backward thinking.

Singing the praises of her preferred 'trigger' solution, Snowe said "[triggers] obviously can have a maximum impact...certainly, not as comparable to a full public option and what they want, but on the other hand what you're doing with the public option is basically crowding out the private sector, because of the government's, you know, inordinate advantage in the market place."

I asked her how this view of the public option squares with Lieberman's view that the public option will break the government's bank. After all, if it's driving premiums down so low that insurance companies go out of business, it's clearly saving the government--which will be subsidizing insurance plans--significant amounts of money.

"No," she said. The issue, she added, was that the public option "drives the industry out."

"I believe in, to the extent possible, to allow the private sector to provide a solution," Snowe said.

So what about a public option proponent like Dodd. What are his thoughts on Lieberman's policy eccentricities?

"Joe and I are good friends," Dodd told me, "and there's a difference on this and that's certainly his right to express it.... I'm disappointed we're not in agreement on this, but that happens from time to time on issues."

He did acknowledge the consensus on the public option: "I believe it brings down costs, I think it's going to save money as well," Dodd said. "And so I'm still hopeful that before we complete this process there'll be a lot more support for the public option, possibly even a good colleague and friend from Connecticut."

Lieberman's argument is that the public option will need significant infusions of government money to survive. But here's how Delaware Sen. Tom Carper described the plan under consideration by Senate health care principals.

The public option, he said, must "have to retain earnings, create a retained earnings pool, so that if they run into financial problems later on the financial needs of the plan could be met by the retained earnings, not by the federal government."

Oh well.

You will note that Lieberman never says HOW or WHY the public option will cost more money. You need to realize that CT is home to a lot of insurance companies, and Lieberman is likely acting for his personal gain here instead of forwarding an actual, valid argument.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:19 am
@Cycloptichorn,
When I said 'taxpayers' above, I should have said 'taxpayers who are enrolled in the Public Option,' sorry.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:22 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Yes, it's a plan to be paid by taxpayers, but we still don't know what that cost will be. AARGH!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
You missed my update: not taxpayers, but people who are enrolled in the Public Option. They will be paying premiums just like any other form of insurance.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:41 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Who's going to subsidize the unemployed, midle-income without enough flex in their budget, and the poor? The money has to come from someplace - doesn't it? It usually mean taxpayers, and our deficit is already growing too high too fast. Is there a limit to the federal deficit?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Who's going to subsidize the unemployed, midle-income without enough flex in their budget, and the poor? The money has to come from someplace - doesn't it? It usually mean taxpayers, and our deficit is already growing too high too fast. Is there a limit to the federal deficit?

You are correct, it does mean taxpayers. Specifically:

The rich will pay a surtax
Companies which don't offer health-care plans will pay a surtax
So-called 'cadillac' insurance plans are going to be taxed

Additionally, the program is set up to 'retain earnings' in the early years, so that any profits that come in are placed in a pool - the same way the Social Security trust worked before the government robbed it.

We're never going to be able to accurately predict the future, all we can do is try to build intelligent solutions today based on what we know.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 10:04 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You wrote:
Quote:
The rich will pay a surtax
Companies which don't offer health-care plans will pay a surtax
So-called 'cadillac' insurance plans are going to be taxed

What are the anticipated revenues from these sources? You got real numbers?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You may be right, and your explanation SOUNDS reasonable.

But from what little I have read and heard, the new taxes and fees would start almost immediately.
Why should anyone pay new taxes or fees for a program that wont exist for 3 years?
And what guarantee is there that those new fees and taxes will be saved for those new programs, instead of being used for something else?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:16 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

You may be right, and your explanation SOUNDS reasonable.

But from what little I have read and heard, the new taxes and fees would start almost immediately.
Why should anyone pay new taxes or fees for a program that wont exist for 3 years?
And what guarantee is there that those new fees and taxes will be saved for those new programs, instead of being used for something else?

I will have to check on the taxes v. time equation. At least part of the reason the taxes start immediately is the sunsetting of the Bush tax cuts in 2010 - something that will happen automatically.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
At least part of the reason the taxes start immediately is the sunsetting of the Bush tax cuts in 2010 - something that will happen automatically.

Which will RAISE taxes and add money to the govt treasury.

So, why add more taxes on top of that?
And you didnt answer the second part...what kind of gaurantee is there (I havent seen or heard of one), that those new taxes and fees wont get spent on someones pet project, instead of being saved for their intended purpose?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:37 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
At least part of the reason the taxes start immediately is the sunsetting of the Bush tax cuts in 2010 - something that will happen automatically.

Which will RAISE taxes and add money to the govt treasury.

So, why add more taxes on top of that?

Because that won't be enough to pay for the whole thing.

Quote:
And you didnt answer the second part...what kind of gaurantee is there (I havent seen or heard of one), that those new taxes and fees wont get spent on someones pet project, instead of being saved for their intended purpose?

What? Laughing You want a guarantee that things won't go wrong in the future?

When has anyone ever had that about anything?!?!?

Saying that we shouldn't move forward unless we have a guarantee that everything will go great is a recipe for doing nothing, solving no problems.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Fade it out. Wrong threaditis.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
For the government to "guarantee" anything about social benefits is an oxymoron.

It's because the government has such a bad track record on estimates, that some of us are very weary that they will end up bankrupting our country to the point of no return. If anyone understands Economics 101, no government can continue to increase its deficit with no end in site.

The only savior we now have is that cash liquidity is almost non-existent. However, if the government keeps printing money that's not backed up by goods and services, that only ensures inflation in the future.

In this recovery where jobs are non-existent, tax revenues will continue to deteriorate while our government prints more money to spend.

That creates a huge currency value problem in the world, and the promise of uncontrollable inflation in the future.

Who would want to sell us things when the value of our money continues to depreciate? Who's going to pay for all this deficit spending? Our children and grandchildren? Why are the rich getting richer at the expense of our children and grandchildren? Is this fair?