IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

mysteryman

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I have stated before that I do NOT follow or believe in polls, but this should interest you Cyclo.

Its not from Rasmussen...

http://realclearpolitics.blogs.time.com/2009/10/21/poll-obama-worst-decline-in-approval-since-wwii/

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:59 pm
@mysteryman,
That's interesting in one scale, but how does Obama rank after nine months in office against all presidents?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 09:09 am
So, it's looking like the public option may really be off the table; at least not available from the get-go. I'm not opposed to the trigger option, however I would need to see a lot of details around how it can be triggered, and if the mandate would only take effect IF the PO is actually triggered.

This is an unfortunate development, and I'm disapointed that Obama didn't push for this more.

If there is a mandate in this bill to buy insurance AND no public option; I'm pretty sure I won't be able to support this bill and will have to notify my congress-people. However, I'm 95% sure that the vote will occur before I even have time to do that (despite administration promises for 5 or more days of review before the election).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20091023/pl_politico/28651

Quote:

Pelosi lacks votes for most sweeping public option

Mike Allen " Fri Oct 23, 7:53 am ET
Speaker Nancy Pelosi counted votes Thursday night and determined she could not pass a “robust public option” " the most aggressive of the three forms of a public option House Democrats have been considering as part of a national overhaul of health care.

Pelosi's decision"coupled with a significant turn of events yesterday during a private White House meeting"points to an increasingly likely compromise for a “trigger” option for a government plan.

Administration officials have been telling POLITICO for weeks now that this the most likely compromise because it can probably satisfy liberals"albeit only reluctantly and after many vent frustration and some even threaten to walk away from the bill.

This would clear the way for backers to sneak a limited public option through the Senate by attracting moderate Democrats and then to win President Barack Obama's signature.

Obama told Democratic leadership at the White House Thursday evening that his preference is for the trigger championed by Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) " a plan that would allow a public plan to kick in if private insurers don’t expand coverage fast enough, a top administration official told POLITICO. It’s also sign Obama is interested in maintaining a sense of bipartisanship around the health reform plan.

At that meeting, Obama did not sign on to a plan being floated by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to include a different variation of the public option in the Senate bill " a plan that would create a national public plan but allow states to “opt-out.” Reid now believes he can get 60 votes to bring a bill with that plan to the floor by breaking an expected GOP filibuster " and then secure the 51 votes needed to pass it.

But Pelosi’s vote-counting didn’t go as well in the House. There has been a flurry of rumors that a robust government option remains viable. But top House Democrats privately concede that is wishful thinking that ignores the power of moderate Democrats in this debate.

The House is now likely to include one of the two weaker versions in the bill that will be considered on the floor as Obama’s historic health-reform plan chugs toward passage " possibly a version that would set rates for the public plan by allowing doctors and hospitals to negotiate them with Medicare.

Nadeam Elshami, deputy communications director and senior adviser to the speaker, said: "Speculation that a final decision has been made about the public option are not accurate. We continue to work with all the members of the caucus to build consensus."

A House Democratic official said: "The leadership did not tell progressives last night that the robust public option is off the table. The votes are still being counted."

The vote count is a disappointment to liberal members in the House, after two days in which Pelosi seemed increasingly confident she could secure the votes needed for the most liberal option. She had her top lieutenants polling members and even enlisted progressive leaders in trying to corral more support.

“Votes aren’t there,” a top official said. “The progressives are always more optimistic than reality.”
But the final outcome could be helpful to the crucial members of her caucus from conservative-leaning districts, who opposed the most liberal version of the public option, one tied to Medicare rates.

The speaker has proven herself a reliable vote counter, and she wants to release a bill that she knows can get at least 218 votes. Aides say the count was somewhat of a surprise, but not completely.

The speaker plans to roll out the House bill with a big ceremony on the West Front of the Capitol.

That was planned for Tuesday or Wednesday, and may still happen then. But aides say that disappointing first tally could delay the timeline a bit as they scramble to finalize the bill that will be considered on the House floor.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 09:28 am
@maporsche,
maporsche, It's not only the public option issue that hasn't been resolved. We still don't know how much this plan is going to cost. We now have runaway spending by congress and the president, and we can't keep adding onto the deficit. They're all crazy! The dollar is already losing its value across this planet, and they still can't control spending. Our monopoly money will be hit with such a huge inflation, we're going to lose our international trades, and the cost of all goods and services will skyrocket into the hemisphere.

I'm scared, because this will happen during my short lifetime.
maporsche

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 09:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'm in agreement with all of this too.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:15 am
@maporsche,
According to some other sources, this Politico story is pure bullshit.

You will note that they have no named sources that confirm that the public option is 'off the table' at all.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/10/public-option-pressure-as-stories-leak-wh-and-dem-leaders-say-no-decision-has-been-made.php?ref=fpa

Quote:
House leadership sources are telling TPMDC they think news on the "robust" public option is leaking out to pressure House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as the health care discussions are getting hotter, and closer to the final deal.

Politico's story this morning suggests Pelosi doesn't have the votes, but our sources insist the leadership isn't yet at that stage.

Presidential adviser Valerie Jarrett jabbed at the Politico story while appearing on MSNBC's Morning Joe today, saying of the reporter who penned the piece, "I don't know whether Mike Allen can actually count votes or not."

But House sources think Democrats may have spoken with Allen to apply pressure on Pelosi at this late stage in the game.

The Politico is a hack website, I really don't trust their stories a single bit, unless they have named sources. During the election they ran all sorts of stories which later on turned out to be untrue.

TPM had an update -

Quote:

What's All the Confusion About?

There've been a number of conflicting reports about the fate of the Public Option this morning, especially in the House. We just had our morning editorial meeting. And I wanted to give you a quick read on what the confusion seems to be about.

The issue really doesn't seem to be whether the House thinks it can pass a Public Option. The confusion and conflicting reports seem to stem from not distinguishing between two versions of the Public Option that most TPM Readers are probably already familiar with -- namely, a Public Option like that advanced by Sen. Schumer and the more turbo-version proposed by Sen. Rockefeller.

Basically, it's not clear the House really has the votes for a Rocky-style Public Option. That's where this morning's Politico piece may be on solid ground -- because Pelosi, or at least her office, had appeared to be saying they had that locked. But that doesn't mean the Public Option is dead in the House because it seems pretty clear they do have the votes for Schumer-style Public Option. And that latter, critical point was lost in this morning's headlines.

--Josh Marshall

The Public option is looking stronger at this point than at any time since it's proposal. Several reports out of the last few days have indicated that the Senate - and specifically Harry Reid - is going to include the Public Option in whatever bill he brings forward to be voted on when he unifies the two Senate bills.

This will pretty much guarantee that it ends up in the bill, as there are not 60 votes to remove it - which would be necessary. It would be a bitter pill for Baucus and Nelson to swallow, but Progressives have been putting a lot of pressure on them, Reid, and Landrieu to get this thing done.

I feel very confident at this point that the Democrats will pass a bill with a public option. As you stated above, it would be disastrous for them to pass a mandate, but no public option. They know that they will get killed in the 2010 elections if they do this; on the other hand, pass the bill the base (and many moderates) like, and they will enjoy a lot of support in the next election.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

maporsche, It's not only the public option issue that hasn't been resolved. We still don't know how much this plan is going to cost.

There are cost projections for each individual portion of the bill. There are no unified bills yet, so it's impossible to tell how much the final bill will cost. But you could read up on the costs of the proposals if you bothered.

Quote:
We now have runaway spending by congress and the president, and we can't keep adding onto the deficit.

That's one of the reasons the Prez insisted on a 'deficit-neutral' bill. Now, nobody believes it really WILL be deficit neutral. Instead, we need a bill which only adds a modest amount to the deficit.

Quote:
They're all crazy! The dollar is already losing its value across this planet, and they still can't control spending. Our monopoly money will be hit with such a huge inflation, we're going to lose our international trades, and the cost of all goods and services will skyrocket into the hemisphere.

I'm scared, because this will happen during my short lifetime.

Inflation has been coming our way my entire adult lifetime, I've been waiting for this to happen forever. Spending money on healthcare isn't going to materially increase this.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You say "cost projections?" ROFLMAO

From what I've been reading, they still don't have any idea how much UHP is going to cost - and it depends on what comes out of congress before any "real" projections can be made. From the latest studies done on cost, most Americans are against higher insurance premiums or taxes to subsidize low and moderate income Americans. The interesting somewhat contradictory finding was that most Americans, or 62%, would support a program that will help the chronically ill.

These statements are supported by an article by David W Brady in the WSJ.
maporsche

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don't know many Americans that are a proponant of increased taxes. Nobody likes paying taxes. There needs to be a big, long, marketing type campaign explaining how much this will cost and how exactly we'll be paying for it, and what the exact benefits are, otherwise I think people will be pissed (I will be).

I don't mind paying more taxes for this, but I want it to be very clear where this money is going and what the government is going to do to drive down costs.

What do you think the odds are that we'll get any sort of clarity or transparency on this bill?
Advocate

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:49 am
@cicerone imposter,
I think reputable economists will tell you that deficits should not be a concern in a period like this when we are trying to avoid a great depression and get back to some prosperity. I'm quite sure that, following a turnaround, Obama, with the help of John Spratt, chairman of House Budget, will insist on pay-as-you-go, such as Clinton did. We will then start seeing surpluses.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:50 am
@maporsche,
They haven't done a very good job at transparency, and I'm not sure they are capable of it. When the government throws around numbers on how much it'll cost, they have "never" been very accurate. On top of all that, they're providing numbers without knowing who will be covered with what kind of limits. It's not only about the Iraq war they projected it'll cost $50 billion, but also Medicare and other long-term federal programs. I'm leery and worried.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You say "cost projections?" ROFLMAO

From what I've been reading, they still don't have any idea how much UHP is going to cost - and it depends on what comes out of congress before any "real" projections can be made.

Well, yeah - it's hard to project what the bill will cost before there is a unified bill. But to say that there is 'no idea' is false. You could read up on the projected costs if you chose to do so.

Quote:
From the latest studies done on cost, most Americans are against higher insurance premiums or taxes to subsidize low and moderate income Americans.

The interesting somewhat contradictory finding was that most Americans, or 62%, would support a program that will help the chronically ill.

These statements are supported by an article by David W Brady in the WSJ.

David Brady is a Conservative who is looking to kill healthcare reform completely. Don't kid yourself into believing that he is merely 'reporting.'

Opinion polls re: taxation and desired outcomes are always suspect. You can ask people if they want x, y, and z, and get 80% approval that they do; then ask if they want higher taxes, and you will get 80% saying they don't. Poll respondents often display conflicting opinions when it comes to their desires and their willingness to pay; the old saying is true, everyone wants something for nothing.

But you don't get something for nothing. The fact that people are willing to support a program for the chronically ill (can you say 'public option?') is indicative of the wide-spread nature of the problem. We all know someone who has health problems and can't get health insurance or has to pay through the nose. It's a very personal issue to most Americans.

Keep in mind that the Public Option will force insurers to lower premiums. This is the entire point of the thing; it puts downward price pressure on those who currently have zero downward price pressure. Without it, and without this reform, health care costs are going to continue to skyrocket.

When you complain about the costs of this bill, try and keep in mind that medical costs rising, medical debts, and medical bankruptcies, are wrecking this country just as much as you believe the added amount to the deficit will do so - just on an individual level.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

They haven't done a very good job at transparency, and I'm not sure they are capable of it. When the government throws around numbers on how much it'll cost, they have "never" been very accurate. On top of all that, they're providing numbers without knowing who will be covered with what kind of limits. It's not only about the Iraq war they projected it'll cost $50 billion, but also Medicare and other long-term federal programs. I'm leery and worried.

And so what, the alternative is to do nothing?

We could study this for years and not have better projections than we currently have. In fact, people have been studying this for years and don't have better projections.

I will say this - we can look at other countries health systems and what they pay in costs, and see systems which are much more efficient than ours, delivering the same level of service with half the price. That's a pretty good indicator that movement in that direction will be an improvement over our current system, one in which there are ZERO cost controls.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Brady has used polls from credible sources such as Washington Post/Kaiser Foundation and on a survey that asked 3344 US adults across the country.

If you have better info, I'd like to see them.
Advocate

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:58 am
Here is some major hypocrisy in congress.

HEALTH CARE -- FIFTY-FIVE REPUBLICANS WHO ARE 'STEADFASTLY OPPOSED' TO A PUBLIC OPTION ARE CURRENTLY ON MEDICARE: Yesterday, the office of Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) released an internal study showing that 151 members of Congress "currently receive government-funded; government-administered single-payer health care -- Medicare." Of those 151 members, 55 are Republicans who also happen to be "steadfastly opposed [to] other Americans getting the public option, like the one they have chosen." Included on Weiner's list are anti-public option crusaders Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ), Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL), Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK), Sen. Mike Enzi (R-WY), Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC), and Rep. Peter King (R-NY). Weiner explained that the purpose of this study is to "point out some of the hypocrisy of this debate." "Even in a town known for hypocrisy," Weiner said in a statement yesterday, "this list of 55 Members of Congress deserve some sort of prize. They apparently think the public option is ok for them, but not anyone else." Back in July, Weiner, an outspoken proponent of single-payer health care reform, offered an amendment that would have given these 55 people a chance to end their own public option by eliminating Medicare once and for all. According to Weiner, it was "put-up or shut-up time for the phonies who deride the so-called 'public option.'" Of course, no one voted for the measure. Yet now "you have members of Congress thumping their chest how they’re against government health care," Weiner noted, adding, "and yet when it's time for them to accept Medicare, they're like, 'Sign me up!'"

--americanprogressaction.org
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I never ever claimed the feds should not reform our health plans. You're jumping to conclusions I've never supported.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Brady has used polls from credible sources such as Washington Post/Kaiser Foundation and on a survey that asked 3344 US adults across the country.

If you have better info, I'd like to see them.

The problem isn't his polling, it's the conclusions he draws from it.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:00 am
@Advocate,
They are hypocrites of the worst kind; they're supposed to work for their constituents, but are playing politics instead. Why people are unable to see their hypocrisy is based purely on politics, and not for the best interest of this nation.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
What exactly are those "conclusions" that you disagree with?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:44 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What exactly are those "conclusions" that you disagree with?

From the article:

Quote:
On the other hand, Americans' willingness to pay for health reform has limits. Our results show that, for a majority, the cost of the policies currently under consideration by Congress exceeds those limits.

This is not supported by their selective polling data.

Cycloptichorn