IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 04:04 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Medicare and -aid are no more rife with 'waste and fraud' than their private counterparts; and the rises in costs that people will see are no larger than what they are currently experiencing from private insurance. Cycloptichorn

Would you care to provide us with some of the 'facts" you prize so much to back up these remarkable assertions?

Sure. I base my assertion on historical data:

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalHealthExpendData/downloads/tables.pdf

Here's the Krug talking about it:

Quote:
Since 1970 Medicare costs per beneficiary have risen at an annual rate of 8.8% " but insurance premiums have risen at an annual rate of 9.9%. The rise in Medicare costs is just part of the overall rise in health care spending. And in fact Medicare spending has lagged private spending: if insurance premiums had risen “only” as much as Medicare spending, they’d be 1/3 lower than they are.

See how easy that is? Facts are fun!

Quote:
I believe the truth is the criticisms so often levied against insurers stem mostly from their efforts to (1) protect the rate base of their current customers by excluding high cost/risk new entrants; and (2) enforcing the contractsd they sign - including the fine print, which I will acknowledge can be deceptive.

You forgot a category - make giant profits! That's the part of their efforts that really sticks in people's craw. It's hard to have sympathy for companies who profit in the hundreds of millions and industries which profits in the dozens of Billions every year, based on denying people service.

Quote:

Government does neither . No fault there - indeed there are some possible social benefits involved. However government already has a piss poor track record managing its entitlement budgets and doubling the exposure could wreck the economy that supports us all with far worse consequences than those we wish to eliminate in our current health care system.

Could, but probably won't. You know that modest changes to Medicare, Medicaid and SS will have those programs running just fine. Nobody is swayed by your scare stories, George.

Quote:
I didn't say we has a free market for health care - only "fairly free". A government plan would end that entirely, leaving us only with the misery that economic central planning has produced wherever it was tried.

Other countries who have 'central planning' of health care do not seem to be in misery, and in fact, their systems generally poll very, very high with their constituents. I guess those citizens are too dumb to know what a raw deal they are getting, eh?

Quote:
At least today consumers can opt between Blue cross-type plans and lower cost HMOs or high deductable plans.

Inaccurate; some consumers can do this. Many cannot. The Republicans have no plan for dealing with those who cannot be insured by private insurance, due to the high cost of doing so.

Quote:
With a government option and the inevitable taxes on private options the government will have the power to distort the market anyway it chooses and to whatever degree it chooses.

This is no different than the way private insurance currently distorts the market in the ways that it chooses. At least with government-ran options, we have a voice in the matter through our representatives. Right now, you have zero ability to affect insurance companies or their operations.

Quote:
As I recall your original prediction was for a plan with a public option, signed by the president before the end of October. I doubt seriously that will occur .
For myself, I haven't made any predictions, other than that yours won't likely occur.

I admit that I may be off by a month or so, but I am increasingly confident that a plan with a public option will pass. You may not have made a specific prediction that it wouldn't, but you made plenty of comments indicating that you believe it wouldn't. Do you still believe it won't?

Quote:
I agree that the present system can and should be improved. However, I don't see what has been proposed so far in any of the Democrat draft legislation as a net improvement - and apparently a very large fraction, probably a majority, of the American people see it that way too.

You are incorrect when you say 'probably a majority' of Americans agree with you. I base this on two points:

1, the many polls showing more than 50% support for health-care reform with a Public Option, and

2, the election of a supermajority of Democrats and Obama, pretty much all of whom ran on passing a public health insurance plan.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:18 pm
If anyone thinks Medicare is run efficiently, then they will also probably think the government can run the entire industry real well. The following is a sample. Question, if Obama thinks cutting waste will help pay for his plan, how come he doesn't start doing it now, without his plan? Why not fix the mess now, before creating a bigger mess?

Tracking Your Taxes: Medicare Waste Goes Unchecked
As the single largest buyer of medical products, you'd think Medicare would at least get a volume discount. But it doesn't even get the best price.

But it doesn't. In fact, Medicare doesn't even get the best price.

According to their own auditors, Medicare knowingly overpays for almost everything it buys. Examples include:

-- $7,215 to rent an oxygen concentrator, when the purchase price is $600.

-- $4,018 for a standard wheelchair, while the private sector pays $1,048.

-- $1,825 for a hospital bed, compared to an Internet price of $1,071.

-- $3,335 for a respiratory pump, versus an advertised price of $1,987.

-- $82 for a diabetic supply kit, instead of a $47 price on the Web.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/05/tracking-taxes-medicare-waste/
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Medicare and -aid are no more rife with 'waste and fraud' than their private counterparts; and the rises in costs that people will see are no larger than what they are currently experiencing from private insurance. Cycloptichorn

Would you care to provide us with some of the 'facts" you prize so much to back up these remarkable assertions?

Sure. I base my assertion on historical data:

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalHealthExpendData/downloads/tables.pdf

Here's the Krug talking about it:

Quote:
Since 1970 Medicare costs per beneficiary have risen at an annual rate of 8.8% " but insurance premiums have risen at an annual rate of 9.9%. The rise in Medicare costs is just part of the overall rise in health care spending. And in fact Medicare spending has lagged private spending: if insurance premiums had risen “only” as much as Medicare spending, they’d be 1/3 lower than they are.

See how easy that is? Facts are fun!

Thanks for the dump of NHS statistics on government and private sector spernding. However none of it has anything to do with the relative incidence of fraud and waste in the two systems, which was the original question and for which you offered this stuff as "proof" of something - what I don't know.

Frankly, I don't think even the spending data proves much in that (1) the beneficiary populations are different; and (2) the services provided - both in terms of quality and quantity are different; and (3) by using its market power to arbitrarily set and enforce rates the government in effect transfers the costs it doesn't choose to pay - whether as below market Medicare or Medicaid service rates or as inadequate compensatory payments to hospitals for emergency care they are required by law to provide to those who can't pay. In every case the government simply transfers the costs of its programs to other consumers.

If the government takes over the whole system there will be no alternative consumers to take up the slack and that is when the rtationing will begin. If the government establishes a "public option" to "compete" with the private sector it will simply do the same and thereby force all alternatives out of the market.
Advocate

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:36 pm
This is so interesting. China has been buying our debt in the shape of bonds for years. If they chose to call them in, the US would be in big trouble.

In terms of health care, most countries with socialized medicine running alongside private healthcare spend around 8-10% of Gdp, while the US spends approx16% and is ranked 37th in the world rankings. The money is going somewhere but certainly not to the public. Yet I watch all these sad ,delusional people ranting at the Town Hall Meetings, not realizing that down the track private insurance will probably price them out of the market. After all the shouting it looks as though Obama is not going to get his way, and I am saddened for the American people. It is just not fair that 45[say it slowly] million people are without coverage.

Since the 2nd world war up to the present day, it has been in the interest of the weapons manufacturers to keep the pot boiling. You have to ask why on earth 60 years after the 2nd world war there are still US bases in places like Germany. Clearly we are spending dollars so Germany doesn't have to. But what does America derive from it?

It seems that we are moving to Orwell's "1984."
georgeob1

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:51 pm
@Advocate,
Interesting. Selling China even more bonds to finance another entitlement program isn't likely to improve the siutuation.

Why don't we also require consumers to stop buying automobiles that cost more than (say) $20,000? We could go on to prohibiting expensive clothing and entertainment. These things are clearly less necessary than health care and once we unleash government into the game of eliminating personal expenditures that it considers unwise in the greater interest of our economy, there's no point in stopping with just health care. There are even more "benefits" for us out there just waiting to be tapped by an all-wise government. Such sumptuary laws however have a decidedly mixed history.

High defense spending during the first decades after WWII was necessary - the Cold war was real and by defeating such a deadly rival without a major war we (1) beat the historical odds by a wide margin; and (2) saved a great deal of human suffering and cost.

I'll agree that much of what has come after the fall of the Soviet Empire has been unnecessary. However, one of the many ironies of life is that the former "good guy" in a titanic struggle instantly becomes the uncontrolled elephant in the room once his evil rival capitulates. Solo superpowers just don't inspire much affection.

Still I would agree with disolving our bonds with NATO and most of our other alliances - they cost us far more than any benefits we could hope to get.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 11:20 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
If the government takes over the whole system there will be no alternative consumers to take up the slack and that is when the rtationing will begin. If the government establishes a "public option" to "compete" with the private sector it will simply do the same and thereby force all alternatives out of the market.

The history of public institutions competing with private ones disagrees with your conclusions.
K
O
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 07:56 am
US losing ground on Preventable Deaths

Quote:
Are Americans dying too soon? The answer is yes. When it comes to "preventable deaths" " an array of illnesses and injuries that should not kill at an early age " the United States trails other industrialized nations and has been falling further behind over the past decade.

N0 wonder the Republicans don't want to change the system. It seems to be working well. Just like Rep Grayson said they wanted it to work.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:01 am
@parados,
Who needs death panels when our citizens are dying much faster than all the other industrialized countries?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:44 am
Wow.

Shep Smith defends the public option.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 04:22 am
Well, OBO has made its judgement call on expense and coverage of the Backus plan. Bottom line it would cost $829B and cover 94% of the eligible population per the Associated Press

According to the same article, that failure to support 6% of the population means that by 2019 when plan is fully enacted, we'd still have 17M (or around 30M folks currently according to Obama) without coverage. So effectively, the plan is able to provide coverage for less than half (13M) of the current uncovered population at a cost of $829B?!! What's wrong with this picture?
Advocate

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 06:31 am
@slkshock7,
This article may alleviate your concerns.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/health/policy/08health.html?_r=1&th&emc=th
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:55 am
@Advocate,
What I don't see is the incremental added cost and where the savings are going to come from.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 10:02 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Well, OBO has made its judgement call on expense and coverage of the Backus plan. Bottom line it would cost $829B and cover 94% of the eligible population per the Associated Press

According to the same article, that failure to support 6% of the population means that by 2019 when plan is fully enacted, we'd still have 17M (or around 30M folks currently according to Obama) without coverage. So effectively, the plan is able to provide coverage for less than half (13M) of the current uncovered population at a cost of $829B?!! What's wrong with this picture?

To be accurate, the Baucus plan would not add 829 billion to the deficit or debt; it would be funded through taxes, and actually save 80 billion or so off of the debt over 10 years.

Not that you should worry about it, because that isn't the bill that is going to be passed, at all. It will be merged with other bills in the Senate - ALL of which contain public options - and then reconciled with the House bill.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 10:06 am
The Health care bill seems much more likely to pass today than a month ago - and the momentum is still increasing.

http://data.bloomberg.com/bb/rssstory?sid=aw2PamI0GqrU

Quote:
Voters Back Obama Over Republicans on Health Care, Poll Finds

Oct. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Months of Republican attacks on
President Barack Obama’s health-care proposals appear to have
hurt the party, according to a Quinnipiac University poll.

The survey found 64 percent of voters disapproving of the way
Republicans in Congress are doing their jobs, with 25 percent
approving. Also, 53 percent had an unfavorable opinion of the
party in general, while 25 percent rated it favorably.

The performance of Democratic lawmakers was disapproved of
by 56 percent, with 33 expressing approval. For the party in
general, 46 percent expressed disapproval, 38 percent approval.

Asked who they trusted to do a better job on the health-
care issue, 47 percent said Obama, 31 percent said the
Republicans. The president’s overall approval rating was 50
percent, unchanged from a similar survey in late July and early
August.

“President Barack Obama’s approval rating has held at 50
percent over the past two months of high-intensity debate on
health care and other issues,” said Peter Brown, assistant
director of the Hamden, Connecticut-based university’s polling
institute. “And while the spotlight is on the president,
Republicans are taking a public-opinion pounding.”

At the same time, voters disapproved of the way Obama was
handling health care, 51 percent to 41 percent. His health-care
plan was opposed by 47 percent, supported by 40 percent.

Public Option

The poll found voters support a government-run plan to
compete with private insurers 61 percent to 34 percent.
Obama
backs creating such a program, which has been the focus of much
of the health-care debate in Congress. House and Senate Democrats
are divided over the proposal, known as the public option, while
most Republicans oppose it.

The survey of 2,630 voters was conducted Sept. 29-Oct. 5 and
has an error margin of plus-or-minus 1.9 percentage points.

The intensity of the health-care debate was illustrated
during Obama’s Sept. 9 speech to a joint session of Congress on
the subject when Representative Joe Wilson, a South Carolina
Republican, interrupted him with a call of “you lie.” Some
Republicans also have accused Obama of proposing “death panels”
to force senior citizens to end their lives sooner, a claim that
the Annenberg Public Policy Center’s Factcheck.org called
“simply not true.”

The survey found voters support having businesses pay for
employee health insurance, 73 percent to 23 percent. The poll
respondents were more closely divided on whether Americans should
be required to buy health insurance, as Obama wants. The proposal
was backed by 50 percent, opposed by 45 percent.

Obama has said he won’t sign a health-care bill if it is
projected to add to the federal budget deficit. In the poll, 71
percent said they expect any measure that emerges from Congress
would increase the deficit, while 19 percent said they believe it
wouldn’t.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated
yesterday that the Senate Finance Committee’s version of health-
care legislation would reduce the deficit by $81 billion over 10
years.

-- Editors: Don Frederick, Dave McCombs

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 10:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo wrote:
Not that you should worry about it, because that isn't the bill that is going to be passed, at all. It will be merged with other bills in the Senate - ALL of which contain public options - and then reconciled with the House bill.

And the public option will doom the bill...

Right now, as written by Backus it stands a chance...but I sure wouldn't bet on it if Pelosi gets her way and a public option is thrown into it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 10:56 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Cyclo wrote:

And the public option will doom the bill...

Bullshit it will. Why would it? The Dems have plenty of votes to pass this thing, they only need 50.

Quote:
Right now, as written by Backus it stands a chance...but I sure wouldn't bet on it if Pelosi gets her way and a public option is thrown into it.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. I have to assume that you haven't been paying attention to the health care debate for some time now. All signs are pointing to it passing, and with a public option.

If you really don't believe me, I can present any number of articles and discussions providing evidence for my position; I wonder if you could do the same for yours? I doubt it.

Cycloptichorn
slkshock7

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 11:08 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Got no idea where you're coming from except listening to partisan sources. Clearly no Republicans will support a bill with public option to include Olympia Snowe, the only Repub who's indicated she might support the Backus bill as written.

Both Backus and Reid concede that the public option won't pass the Senate source

Over to you to prove your point....
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 11:20 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Got no idea where you're coming from except listening to partisan sources. Clearly no Republicans will support a bill with public option to include Olympia Snowe, the only Repub who's indicated she might support the Backus bill as written.

Both Backus and Reid concede that the public option won't pass the Senate source

Over to you to prove your point....

Your info is old.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/peter-roff/2009/10/07/is-harry-reid-planning-a-public-option-bait-and-switch-on-healthcare.html

Quote:
Is Harry Reid Planning a Public Option Bait-and-Switch on Healthcare?
October 07, 2009 11:49 AM ET | Peter Roff | Permanent Link | Print

By Peter Roff, Thomas Jefferson Street blog

Last week, members of the Senate Finance Committee voted down two attempts to add a public option to the healthcare bill they were writing. That, in turn, set up a scenario for healthcare gridlock: the Senate unable to pass a bill that included a public option and the House unwilling to pass a bill without it.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, may have come up with a way to thread that needle.

Recognizing that there are not 60 Senate votes for a public option"but that there are almost surely more than 50"writes Susan Ferrechio today in the Washington Examiner, Reid may be planning to move the bill forward without it as a way to secure the 60 votes needed to shut off Republican efforts to filibuster and begin the debate.

Once the bill was on the floor, Reid would then pull a "bait and switch" by offering a public option as an amendment on the Senate floor. Senate experts point out that Reid would still need 60 votes to block attempts to filibuster the amendment"and that a filibuster could still be used to prevent a modified bill that includes a public option from getting a vote on final passage"but getting the bill to the floor changes the nature of the battle. It moves it out of the policy arena and makes it an exercise in raw political power.

Reid, House Republican Study Committee Chairman Rep. Tom Price said today, should be taken at his word that he will push forward with a public option and that he remains committed to passing a bill that includes it out of the Senate.

And there are many, many other articles I can find showing the same thing. The word today on the street is that the Dems have threatened to yank the committee chairs and seniority of any Dem that supports a filibuster against their position; and why wouldn't they?

You missed the part where the anti-reform position started to lose steam, apparently. The Dems have been increasingly confident that a bill will be passed, with a Public Option, for at least 3 weeks now.

Cycloptichorn
slkshock7

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 11:46 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, I find plenty of resources (within the past 3 weeks) that indicate discontent and pessimism that the public option is feasible in the Senate. I must confess I'm surprised you used a relatively conservative newspaper (Washington Examiner) to prove your point. In other contexts, you'd probably use this as an example of fear-mongering to stir up the conservative faithful.

Nevertheless, Reid could be attempting some adroit administrative judo move like this to get the option into the bill. Blackmail against other Democrats seems kind of crass, but I wouldn't put it past Reid either. I'd almost welcome these dirty tactics on the part of the Dems...because if it doesn't bite them now, it will most certainly during the 2010 elections.

I'd still bet against a public option surviving into a final bill.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 11:56 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Well, I find plenty of resources (within the past 3 weeks) that indicate discontent and pessimism that the public option is feasible in the Senate. I must confess I'm surprised you used a relatively conservative newspaper (Washington Examiner) to prove your point. In other contexts, you'd probably use this as an example of fear-mongering to stir up the conservative faithful.

Well, I linked to US News and World Report. But they are pretty conservative.

Quote:
Nevertheless, Reid could be attempting some adroit administrative judo move like this to get the option into the bill. Blackmail against other Democrats seems kind of crass, but I wouldn't put it past Reid either. I'd almost welcome these dirty tactics on the part of the Dems...because if it doesn't bite them now, it will most certainly during the 2010 elections.

No, it won't. The public has no clue what goes on in Congress and doesn't give a ****.

The Republicans used every dirty trick in the book during the 6 years when they controlled Congress and the presidency, in order to pass their bills, including threatening the hell out of their own members; and that isn't what lead to their defeat, not in the slightest.

Quote:
I'd still bet against a public option surviving into a final bill.

Why? The House has made it perfectly clear that a bill without a PO will not pass. This effectively holds the legislation hostage. The Progressives in the Senate have done much the same thing.

If you think that the Dems are going to let the whole ship sink, without twisting the arms of a few members, you are crazy. We don't need them to vote on the final bill, just not uphold a filibuster against their own party - something which almost never happens anyway, and is mostly used as a threat by Senators looking for more power themselves.

Cycloptichorn