IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

okie

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:59 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

oof, early morning editing, not good

it should read

regardless of how it's paid for, maybe it's time folks took a more pragmatic look at how much better it might be to let granny go as opposed to keeping her alive if the outcome is a forgone conclusion

We're all goina die anyway so why even go to the doctor, period? This applies to more than granny, how about yourself, you ain't goin to survive, so why the big deal? Its a forgone conclusion you aint gotta chance. Why should everybody else go broke for your care when the conclusion is goinna be the same?
spendius

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:23 pm
It was given out on our news last night that 48% of the American workforce are female and that in 1950 it was 25%. It seems that the health care plan is a method of pushing this stat above the 50% mark, what with male manufacturing jobs being lost by the cartload, and thus the electoral process will come to be dominated by Michellism.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 06:02 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
We're all goina die anyway . . . Why should everybody else go broke for your care when the conclusion is goinna be the same?

Yeah, damnit anyway! That fricken woman in the wheelchair is goina die anyway. So why do you want to take away the rights of the healthy people? To hell with the disabled! Let them eat cake.

Quote:
Misinformed and angry teabagger protesters of health care reform reached a new low during a recent town hall meeting held by Congressman Frank Pallone (D-NJ), when an angry mob heckled a woman in a wheelchair. The woman was telling her congressman of her plight, where she was afraid of losing her home because of crippling prescription medication costs.
The angry mob came to the town hall meeting equipped with stubborn pride in their ignorance, holding signs representing all of the falsehoods and anti-Obama slogans advanced by Republicans and the health insurance industry, including death panels, Communism and socialized medicine.

The woman in the wheelchair has two incurable autoimmune diseases and as she was explaining her problems with health insurance, the crowd tried to drown the poor woman out, shouting, “Ask a question!”

One of the loudest and meanest looking hecklers later said, that he didn’t come to the meeting to listen to other people’s opinions. And then lamented the fact that a woman in a wheelchair has more rights than he does.

One heckler said to Rep Pallone: “You should have been aborted!” One woman stood to ask for help saying her disabled daughter was dropped from her blind husband’s insurance plan. One angry protester shouted, “It’s your fault!”

Another teabagger told a reporter from the Star Ledger to “send his paper to Cuba, they are out of toilet paper there.”

LINK TO VIDEO HERE.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 06:05 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

One heckler said to Rep Pallone: “You should have been aborted!” ...

ohhh... so it's the Republicans that want to start Death Panels.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 06:07 pm
@okie,
i hardly ever go to the doctor, and i live in canada so i could go as much as possible, i've never had a major operation, i don't have kids, so even though i can get all the health care i want i haven't abused or taken advantage of the situation

so really my taxes are supporting folks who need help, like a good citizen should

that being said i'm glad it's available and i'm glad it's guaranteed cost free

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 06:09 pm
@djjd62,
I'm the same dj. I've paid in a fortune and am very happy I have never needed to ask for much back.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:20 am
Here is a terrific piece on the baffling fight by ordinary people against health-care reform.

http://www.straight.com/article-254973/baffling-fight-ordinary-americans-defeat-healthcare-reform
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 09:02 am
@djjd62,
Same with me.

But since my wife doesn't have to pay for insurance and since she gets and got some quite expensive therapies, medicaments, since she had had some major operations ... Wink

But neither we nor our parents or grandparents know/knew it to be different than it is today.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 09:54 am
A discussion that isn't angry even though the title says it is.

Interesting to watch.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 10:56 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

oof, early morning editing, not good

it should read

regardless of how it's paid for, maybe it's time folks took a more pragmatic look at how much better it might be to let granny go as opposed to keeping her alive if the outcome is a forgone conclusion

We're all goina die anyway so why even go to the doctor, period? This applies to more than granny, how about yourself, you ain't goin to survive, so why the big deal? Its a forgone conclusion you aint gotta chance. Why should everybody else go broke for your care when the conclusion is goinna be the same?

Nobody is going to 'go broke' under the health care reforms being discussed now.

Damn, at the end of the day, it's all about Greed with you guys. Always is. Don't know why I'm surprised, it always circles around to the fact that you don't want your hard-earned money helping anyone else. It's a little sad.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 11:13 am
@Cycloptichorn,
They change their mind only when they need or want government assistance; most of those losing their jobs are not limited to liberals. I wonder how many of those folks also took advantage of the credit for buying a home or the recent clunker program? Hypocrites!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 11:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Nobody is going to 'go broke' under the health care reforms being discussed now.
A rather vague statement with respect to "the health care reforms being discussed now". Which ones? Discussed by whom? Can you offer us any proof of this assertion?

The House bill is certain to add significantly to already large government deficits - even with the planned huge cuts to Medicare - and this was confirmed by the CBO.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Damn, at the end of the day, it's all about Greed with you guys. Always is. Don't know why I'm surprised, it always circles around to the fact that you don't want your hard-earned money helping anyone else. It's a little sad.
Cycloptichorn

There are several other possibilities - you just don't consider or recognize them.

You have openly acknowledged your belief that passage of such a government health care reform plan would create a sufficiently large cadre of dependent beneficiaries to give the Democrats a permanent majority among voters.

We have already seen in the cases of Medicaid and Medicare the near impossibility of either accurately forecasting or containing the costs of public entitlement programs. Indeed a large element of our current problem is the huge expansion of demand for medical serevices created by these entitlement programs without any parallel effort to increase the supply of providers. Indeed government today in many areas actively works to limit the construction of new hospitals or clinical facilities - this in a nonsensical effort to contain costs.

Now President Obama assures us that a Democrat Congress (almost) firmly in the hands of the extreme liberals, who themselves created the current dislocations in our health care delivery system, will this time not only correct its past errors but also deliver us something that works and won't raise the national debt. Interestingly the Administration recently raised its ten year forecast for the growth of the national debt, indicating a doubling in the next ten years.

It doesn't take much more than common sense to recognize all this as self-serving double talk and duplicity.

I would agree that there is indeed an element of greed in all of this. However, I think it is mostly on your side.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 11:40 am
@georgeob1,
I was with you right up to the end, G...

thinking there is enough greed to go around in both camps.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 11:51 am
@Rockhead,
Agreed; greed is from both sides.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 12:00 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
thinking there is enough greed to go around in both camps

individual greed has been encouraged ever since the dawning of the Enlightenment, we pay lip service to charity and egalitarianism, but where the rubber meets the road it is greed which the collective rewards.

Want to limit greed? Change the reward structure. Put in high taxes for anyone making over the amount that it takes to live reasonably well, discourage longer hours, radically change patent law, make 2 years of public service mandatory and 4 for anyone who takes a degree from a state university or who uses tax supported grants or loans....... we know the fix to greed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 12:05 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

The House bill is certain to add significantly to already large government deficits - even with the planned huge cuts to Medicare - and this was confirmed by the CBO.

Really? Can you link to this?

The CBO scored two versions of the bill; one with the Public Option, one without. The version with the Public option ran up significantly less deficits than the one without. Which are you referring to?

Here, I'll show you how easy it is to provide evidence for your positions. It's called a 'link' and I did 'research' to find it.

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/104xx/doc10464/hr3200.pdf

From my link,

Quote:
According to CBO’s and JCT’s assessment, enacting H.R. 3200 would result in a net increase in the federal budget deficit of $239 billion over the 2010-2019 period. That estimate reflects a projected 10-year cost of the bill’s insurance coverage provisions of $1,042 billion, partly offset by net spending changes that CBO estimates would save $219 billion over the same period, and by revenue provisions that JCT estimates would increase federal revenues by about $583 billion over those 10 years.

You might want to try this method of argumentation some time, I think you would find a great deal of success with it, and would be more effective than your current, failed strategy of arguing entirely by assertion.

Quote:

There are several other possibilities - you just don't consider or recognize them.

You have openly acknowledged your belief that passage of such a government health care reform plan would create a sufficiently large cadre of dependent beneficiaries to give the Democrats a permanent majority among voters.

We have already seen in the cases of Medicaid and Medicare the near impossibility of either accurately forecasting or containing the costs of public entitlement programs. Indeed a large element of our current problem is the huge expansion of demand for medical services created by these entitlement programs without any parallel effort to increase the supply of providers. Indeed government today in many areas actively works to limit the construction of new hospitals or clinical facilities - this in a nonsensical effort to contain costs.

Now President Obama assures us that a Democrat Congress (almost) firmly in the hands of the extreme liberals, who themselves created the current dislocations in our health care delivery system, will this time not only correct its past errors but also deliver us something that works and won't raise the national debt. Interestingly the Administration recently raised its ten year forecast for the growth of the national debt, indicating a doubling in the next ten years.

It doesn't take much more than common sense to recognize all this as self-serving double talk and duplicity.

I would agree that there is indeed an element of greed in all of this. However, I think it is mostly on your side.

There is no evidence that Medicare has lead to the current dislocations in our health care delivery system. At all. You certainly haven't provided any, merely repeated the lie that this is true over and over again until you believe it.

No, I'm going to stick with your inner greed, and that of your compatriots. You don't want to see your taxes go to help other people. You can find whatever cute justification you want for it, but you guys aren't fooling anyone; it always circles around to the same thing. Some of you are more open about discussing it than others, but it's hardly some new revelation.

I also think it's hilarious to say that Congress is in the hands of 'extreme liberals.' Didn't I caution you against this foolish Appealing to Extremes just the other day?

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 12:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, The CBO numbers look very convincing, but I don't trust them to be able to forecast the cost/deficit that far into the future - simply because there is no way to forecast our economy that far ahead.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 12:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Cyclo, The CBO numbers look very convincing, but I don't trust them to be able to forecast the cost/deficit that far into the future - simply because there is no way to forecast our economy that far ahead

it has nothing to do with a record of massive low balling costs in the out years, right? Our leaders have during our lifetime been dishonest about costs, purposefully dishonest, the difficulty of estimating costs is a secondary problem.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 03:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo has become even more childishly patronizing even as he digs himself into a deeper hole.

His own (gosh !) "link" notes that the version of the House bill with a government option (that will likely not pass) is projected to add $239 billion to the deficit over ten years, and the option without this option adds even more. Worse, similar initial projections to other entitlement programs have all proven to have been exceedingly optimistic (no link - this should be common knowledge). Interestingly he counts new taxes and planned reductions to other government spending - neither of which is included in the legislation or has yet been enacted - as somehow part of the scheme. This is sophistry of the worst sort.

Neither the new taxes nor the other cuts will come free. Cyclo is apparently motivated by the fact that others, not himself, will pay those taxes, though he is quick to accuse them of greed. Sadly, everyone will eventually suffer the economic effects of this taxation and spending, as well as lose their freedom of private choice under this plan, discovering the cold, inept hand of government brueaucracy in their relations with their medical providers.

Nabcy Pelosi, Henry Waxman and the other leaders in the House for this legislation are indeed among the extreme liberal fraction of the Congress. That is an observable fact - not "an appeal to extremes".
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 02:33 am
@georgeob1,
George, Diabetes alone will cost taxpayers more than 2 trillion dollars in the next decade. Diabetes is relatively simple to maintain, forever, but really… why the hell has it not been cured? Answer: It's too friggin profitable to maintain. A single payer would, obviously, create a program to reduce its costs... CURES! Meanwhile, sufferers of Diabetes alone pay through the friggin nose, and are ever-increasingly not covered by insurance companies. Our current system sucks.