IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 12:22 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
...So far the initiave appears to have been in the hands of the committed true believers in the ability of the "progressive" cognoscenti to figure out what is good for the rest of us.

just to point out a semantic thing here..

the way in which you couched your comment infers that the "progressive cognoscenti" are elitist. yet, by the cynical phrase "figure out what is good for the rest of us", it appears that you believe that the "un-progressive cognoscenti" and their true believers would naturally know much better what is good for the rest of us.

wouldn't it hold true that according to the type of constitutional democratic republic the u.s.a. practices, that there is always going to be some guys, somewhere, who are figuring out what is best for the rest of us?
georgeob1

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:08 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I really don't care or worry much about someone who, for any reason - good or bad, believes it is best to leave me alone to do what I want. It is those who wish to prescribe for me what I must do or limit my choices that concern me.
okie

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:14 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

there's nothing wrong with keeping an eye on what's going on.

the hardest part of being observant is to not jump the gun. that's why i feel like it's better to watch for yourself than to going wild because this guy said this, or that guy said that. it's a given that either one, on either side has an agenda.

so far, obama has pretty much gone with what he said he wanted to do during the elections. there's no surprises there for anyone that listened to what he was saying back then.

Not so at all. He has broken many many promises, such as not appointing lobbyists, vetting appointees properly to screen out corruption, having transparency, on and on. We now have how many czars? Surely you are smart enough to see all of the inconsistencies and broken promises. I believe he is turning out to be alot more extreme or radical than predicted, and I am trying to tell you to pay attention, read about Alinsky, Wright, and Obama's real past, this is not imaginary, it is real. He now has a snitch site to report people that oppose his Obamacare, all to control public opinion, etc. Hey, he wants his little minions in ACORN to be involved with the census. Read Saul Alinsky and you will begin to understand what Obama is trying to do, to solidify his power and to maintain it. This is no ordinary politician in the great tradition of America.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:44 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I really don't care or worry much about someone who, for any reason - good or bad, believes it is best to leave me alone to do what I want. It is those who wish to prescribe for me what I must do or limit my choices that concern me.

then would you support a national health program that neither prescribes or limits choices ?

if it is something that doesn't really impact you, and it makes decent health available to those who don't have it in the existing set up, i don't see a down side.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:53 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

then would you support a national health program that neither prescribes or limits choices ?

if it is something that doesn't really impact you, and it makes decent health available to those who don't have it in the existing set up, i don't see a down side.

If it leads to higher taxes for me; deficits that will sap investment capital out of the country for decades to come; and the likely demise of the private sector options I presently have - then it certainly does impact me directly.

Moreover, I don't accept the truth of your proposition that this is the only, or the best, way to provide "decent health care" to those who don't presently have it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:02 pm
First of all, over 70% of democrats and only 10% of republicans want a universal health care. What I see is that our current health care system is broken; too many (that number continues to increase) have lost health care while our cost continues to increase. That trend must be stopped or more people in our country will have no health insurance, and more people will be going to our hospital emergency rooms that ends up costing more for everybody.

I see that the only "good or reasonable" solution to this problem is to a) have more private insurance choices, b) have a cadillac system as well as the bare-bones system with everything in between, and c) let the consumers decide by cost how much health insurance and usage they want through some fee system somewhat similar to life/auto insurance. Let the marketplace decide what the consumer wants, and how much they want to spend on it. If any insurance company failed to meet the contract of coverage, they will disappear from the marketplace because consumers will stop purchasing their insurance from such a company.

The government can subsidize some of the premiums in the form of tax credits.

I do not believe a cadillac system for all will be feasible.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:06 pm
I just heard a tape of Obama speaking at a meeting about health care reform, and he basically said something like - when you hear people say we want to create a system that a bureaucracy gets involved, coming between you and your doctor, it is "simply not true."

Now, I have to conclude, the man is a piece of work, he either thinks we are dumb, or he is just plain dumb, or he is a liar, a slickster, or all of the above. The guy simply is not credible, he tells whoppers so easily, I thought slickster Clinton was the expert, but this guy is giving him a good run for his money. I guess he expects people to take what he says as true simply because he says it. If you create a bureaucracy for health care, it is a bureaucracy involved in your health care, criminy, the man is a nutcase.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:09 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I just heard a tape of Obama speaking at a meeting about health care reform, and he basically said something like - when you hear people say we want to create a system that a bureaucracy gets involved, coming between you and your doctor, it is "simply not true."

Now, I have to conclude, the man is a piece of work, he either thinks we are dumb, or he is just plain dumb, or he is a liar, a slickster, or all of the above. The guy simply is not credible, he tells whoppers so easily, I thought slickster Clinton was the expert, but this guy is giving him a good run for his money. I guess he expects people to take what he says as true simply because he says it. If you create a bureaucracy for health care, it is a bureaucracy involved in your health care, criminy, the man is a nutcase.

He didn't say that they weren't creating a bureaucracy, he said that they won't come between 'you and your doctor.' Yaknow, the way the current health-care bureaucracy does.

Accuracy is important, Okie, you might want to practice it some.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:11 pm
@okie,
The only "piece of work" around here is you, okie. You have no concept of reality nor does your interpretation on any subject show factual knowledge.

You've already fallen off the cliff, and only you don't realize that all your ideas have died a long time ago.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:13 pm
@okie,
That's perfectly obvious, but sometimes you have to say so, anyway.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

He didn't say that they weren't creating a bureaucracy, he said that they won't come between 'you and your doctor.' Yaknow, the way the current health-care bureaucracy does.

Cycloptichorn

Drunk
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:26 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Drunk

I'm pretty sure that this is another one of those cases where you wanted to respond, but couldn't think of any rebuttal, because your argument was incorrect to begin with - and you know it. Why bother responding, if you aren't going to take the time to address the topic?

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
okie can't really comprehend anything much, because he uses some examples that may have some truth in them and translates them into global phenomenon. I wonder which school taught him these skills?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 03:27 pm
I do believe we need a better sales pitch for health care reform, and here's a great one I found today on the web -

Quote:
Life expectancy at birth (years)

1. Japan " 82.6
38. USA " 78.2

World Health Organization’s ranking of the world’s health systems (2000)

1. France
37. USA

Now I don’t know why quitters like Sarah Palin and second-raters like Newt Gingrich don’t think Americans are smart enough and tough enough to beat the goddamn French and Japanese on living the longest. But I for one say that we can do it. And if those asswipes don’t **** it up with their whining and their second-guessing, we’re sure as hell GOING to do it.

Goddammit, this is the country that marched into France and took care of their Nazi problem for ‘em! And now Sarah Palin is telling us that those Frogs are better than us at kicking the **** out of germs and cancer and friggin’ heart disease? The **** they are! That goddamn Wasilla quitter may be scared of a challenge, but I’ll put my money on real Americans having the stones to square off against a bunch of existential philosophers.

Who’s with me?

This is the country whose president challenged us to play golf on the goddamn moon. And we did it! Did the Japanese play golf on the moon? Don’t make me ******* laugh. And now snivelling pussies like Sean Hannity are just ready to roll over and concede that those same Japanese have almost FIVE ******* YEARS more piss-and-vinegar in them than Americans? Alan Shepard would beat Sean Hannity down with a ******* 7-iron if he were alive today. In a full spacesuit. Audie Murphy would take one look at that quivering little sissy and Hannity would be shitting himself out of Rush Limbaugh’s asshole. ******* Liberace got more legitimate pussy than Hannity, Limbaugh, O’Reilly and Beck combined.

But I digress.

Right now, there’s 37 countries ahead of us on the life expectancy list. And every goddamn one is full of people who are happy to watch a sport that always ends in a tie. I don’t know what major malfunction makes Republicans such crybabies that they’re afraid to man up against ******* SOCCER but real Americans like games where SOMEBODY ALWAYS WINS AND SOMEBODY ELSE ALWAYS LOSES. Sports that involve broken necks and bitten-off ears and concussions and knees that bend backwards at sickening angles. Real Americans are in it to win it and they know that being No. 38 in the biggest game of them all IS NOT ******* CUTTING IT.

So you can listen to Sarah Palin and Chuck Grassley and James Inhofe and Michelle Malkin and all the rest of the hapless assholes who are apparently content to be second-rate schmucks, just pleased as all hell to be the Washington ******* Generals of the world stage.

Or you can get on board with what America used to be about, what America still ought to be about and goddamit, what America’s gonna be about again pretty goddamn soon. They say we can’t. I say we can. They say we’re doomed to be frail little timid things that cave into death before a bunch of Europeans and Asians and even the ******* Canadians. I say that if we put our minds and our hearts into it, we can have it all and still come out the winner in this contest. I say we’re Americans, goddamit, and we can figure out how to drink and smoke whatever the hell we want and eat all the crappy food we want, and **** and gamble and party and do tons of blow, and STILL look the Grim Reaper in the eye and tell that morbid douchebag to go **** himself.

And if you’re a real American, I bet you think that too.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 03:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

You are dead wrtong here.

Do you believe that MEDICARE & MEDICAID don't "come between you and your doctor" in precisely the same way as do private insurance programs???? Both equally set external limits on the amount they will pay for services and on just what services are "allowed". The fact is that most government programs pay less for most services than do private insurance firms, making doctors & other providers less eager to take their patients and cut various corners in delivering their care.
okie

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:15 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Do you believe that MEDICARE & MEDICAID don't "come between you and your doctor" in precisely the same way as do private insurance programs???? Both equally set external limits on the amount they will pay for services and on just what services are "allowed". The fact is that most government programs pay less for most services than do private insurance firms, making doctors & other providers less eager to take their patients and cut various corners in delivering their care.

Exactly, George, you are exactly right. I can hardly comprehend that liberals like cyclops can be that dumb, or dishonest, or wrong, just like Obama, but apparently thats the case. I am close to giving up on debating with some people here, as some of the most obvious, some of the simplest concepts, they simply deny or cannot comprehend.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:53 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

No, I don't believe that Medicare and Medicaid come between you and your doctor in precisely the same way as private insurance does. And if you do want me to believe it, I challenge you to link to some goddamn evidence for once, instead of relying wholly on assertion for every argument you make.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:53 pm
@okie,
That's a real funny conclusion to draw from air space. It doesn't relate to any of the realities of what my personal medical care has been with Kaiser.

My physician wanted me to make an appointment at the end of this month for my six month "review" of how I'm doing with my blood pressure. However, I've been having this persistent cough for the past four-five months, so I wrote her an email if it would be possible to see her before my trip to Chicago next Thursday. She saw me this morning, and she prescribed a med for a test period to see if this will help with my cough. She wants me to report back to her if my coughing improves in ten days.

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and received eight weeks of radiation therapy at great cost. What restrictions did the government apply to my care?
georgeob1

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

No, I don't believe that Medicare and Medicaid come between you and your doctor in precisely the same way as private insurance does. And if you do want me to believe it, I challenge you to link to some goddamn evidence for once, instead of relying wholly on assertion for every argument you make.

Cycloptichorn

Very strange,

Do you need "a link" to know that both MEDICARE and private insurance set limits on what procedures they cover and how much they will pay? Do you need "a link" to know that government sets arbitrary caps on its payments and that they are generally lower than those set by private plans? Are you aware that our president vows to reduce those limits even further?

Frankly I don't care at all whether you believe it. If you say you don't you are merely demonstrating your foolishness.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 05:02 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Very strange,

Do you need "a link" to know that both MEDICARE and private insurance set limits on what procedures they cover and how much they will pay? Do you need "a link" to know that government sets arbitrary caps on its payments and that they are generally lower than those set by private plans? Are you aware that our president vows to reduce those limits even further?

Frankly I don't care at all whether you believe it. If you say you don't you are merely demonstrating your foolishness.

Well, here's the thing; I'm not at all sure that Medicare sets limits in the same fashion as private insurance does. I'm not sure that Medicare practices Recission in the same way the insurance industries do; and I don't know for a fact that they pay lower rates than private plans.

All I have is your assertion that these things are true. And that doesn't really make for a very strong argument. You have a really bad habit of arguing by making strings of assertions instead of presenting documented facts, likely because you are too lazy to do so.

I do not accept the premise that statements which you or anyone else make are factual based on nothing more than your assertion that they are. Let me issue a specific challenge: link to evidence that Obama has promised to reduce the amount medicare pays out even farther. I dare ya.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies