IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 07:27 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DTOM, Fact of the matter is that new medical equipment that costs a lot more doesn't necessarily do a better job of treatment. It's not only medical equipment that's not being properly utilized; it's the total health care system that does tests and treatments that hasn't been proven to be the best at more cost or even necessary. There is no consistency in how similar illnesses are treated by different doctors or even at the same hospital.

After I had prostate cancer treatment by radiation two years ago, I read many articles that suggests that at my age, it's questionable whether treatment is even necessary. I had many side affects from the treatment, and if I had known what I know now, I would never have had the treatment. I still bleed from proctitis. There was a period for about one year when I had a strong urge to go to the toilet frequently during the day and night, but they were mostly false alarms. It was so frustrating, I almost went into depression.

Some times even when we have good doctors, we must make our own decisions after doing research about specific ailments. Many of the stuff I found on the internet didn't even mention the problems I experienced.

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 08:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
my dad had a similar experience. about 3 years ago, he developed a tumor in his bladder. the doctor told him that old age would kill him before the tumor. so pop said no to any more surgeries.

and he was right. he died last year from something totally unrelated. although i still believe he died of a broken heart as my mom passed 14 months before him.

i'm glad to hear you are feeling better, though.

you know how it is... this is more of the same old stuff. some people have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 10:01 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I'm doing much better now, and feel good enough to resume my travels.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 10:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Some times even when we have good doctors, we must make our own decisions after doing research about specific ailments. Many of the stuff I found on the internet didn't even mention the problems I experienced.

And that is exactly why many people ask medical questions on a general site like this.
0 Replies

boomcs

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 08:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
We do need to ensure equality of surgery for patients if universal health care is past and a great way to do this would be through robotics in surgery like some people have started to do. Check out this http://heartbypass.org/robotic-heart-bypass-surgery-video.php
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 09:08 am
@boomcs,
Robotics is probably the future of medical care, but in the current climate, we'll continue to have humans perform most of the surgery and other medical equipment use. Robotics will be more accurate, but the other side of the coin is the correct diagnosis of what and how.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 09:24 am
"Hey, Obama, the Anger's Not 'Manufactured' It's REAL
The anger that is being seen at town hall meeting is far from manufactured. It is genuine, heartfelt, deeply felt, and increasingly widespread.

Confronted by the mass-uprising against the Democrats' plans to take over health care in the name of reform, the left-wing message machine has kicked into high gear.

Desperate to explain away enormous citizen responses to nearly every public appearance by a member of Congress in recent days, the Soros-backed Center for American Progress issued the new talking points on Friday. Their claim:

Americans for Prosperity and FreedomWorks, which orchestrated the anti-Obama tea parties earlier this year, are now pursuing an aggressive strategy to create an image of mass public opposition to health care and clean energy reform.

Within days, as usual, The New York Times, the White House, and the full constellation of so-called progressive interests were following their lead. White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs called it "manufactured anger," which is such delicious irony as he parrots the talking points from the Center for American Progress.

As one of the senior staff members at Americans for Prosperity, I'm flattered that the power to "manufacture" massive, widespread anger is attributed to us. If we had that skill, I'm sure we would have won a few more fights in recent years.

The reality is people join our organization and other free market grassroots groups like FreedomWorks, the National Taxpayers Union, and RecessRally.com because they are angry about what's going on and they want to make a difference. They tell us what's important and worth fighting for, not the other way around. We just send them news about what's happening in Washington and let them know about opportunities to get involved in their areas. We provide information. They are already highly motivated.

...."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/08/04/phil-kerpen-grassroot-anger/
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 09:26 am
@okie,
okie, No need to shout with junk from FOX news.
kickycan

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 09:55 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Yeah. Real STUPID.
okie

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 10:14 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

okie wrote:

Yeah. Real STUPID.

Keep your own medical care, and I will keep mine. Keep your lousy government out of our business, okay.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 10:15 am
@okie,
and let the poor die...

(isn't that the rest of it, Okie?)
okie

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 10:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Keep you own lousy medical care that Obama wants, and we will keep ours, okay. If you want it , pay for it, and mind your own business. Thats what alot of people are starting to say, it isn't manufactured.
okie

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 10:17 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

and let the poor die...

(isn't that the rest of it, Okie?)

Nobody is going to die without medical care. What a loser of a post. And I don't suppose you care a whit when a baby dies, do you?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 10:18 am
@okie,
Keep our lousy government out of all the MACs-conservatives lives, because none are out of jobs and all have health insurance. After all, they're speaking for everybody.

I have a bridge in Montana to sell to all those MACs-conservatives, and I'll sell it cheap!

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

@okie,
okie wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Keep you own lousy medical care that Obama wants, and we will keep ours, okay. If you want it , pay for it, and mind your own business. Thats what alot of people are starting to say, it isn't manufactured.

Of course that's what you say - being greedy, self-centered bastards is the Republican way. You don't give a **** what happens to anyone else, because your healthcare is just fine. Doesn't that just about sum it up?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Rockhead

@okie,
lots of people die without medical care.

what a loser of a person.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 10:19 am
@okie,
The lousy medical care I have is called Medicare, and I love it!
okie

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 10:26 am
@Rockhead,
Are you talking about countries where rationing occurs, and the government says you are too old to have something fixed?
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 10:27 am
@boomcs,
That's nothing mate. Brain by-pass surgery is more interesting. It's concerned with the vibrant living rather than the silly shagged out old has-beens like me and c.i. and farmerman and others of like ilk. That's why it's more interesting.

And, from a Darwinian point of view it has precedence. The vibrant living pay for the SSOOHB's treatment and invent it. That's dollar precedence however you corkscrew the accounts. In a famine only the vibrant survive, kids are expendable, and thus take their superior biological qualities onward and, one assumes, improve the race. There's a fast famine scene in Flaubert's Salammbo which lays out the proper Darwinian process at work. It's great art. Top drawer.

So if we have any appetite for perfecting the race of man perhaps we should have more famines. Darwin could hardly disagree.

Brain by-pass surgery works with thoughts. Which, as everybody knows, are like little pulses of electricity in your noddle with branch lines to the furthest regions which can register pleasure or pain sensations. As we age our biological economy starts cutting branch lines, like a failing railway company does, which is why SSOOHBs come on this site a lot. You don't think I would be sat here typing this crap out if all my branch lines were still vibrant do you?

And these can be divided into two groups. There's the supporters of the interests of the SSOOHBs, the self really, and the supporters of the VIBRANT, the great HOPE. The latter are, of course, the real Darwinians. The former are a bunch of bleating little lambs with a paw fast in a gin-trap and everything they say is derived from that general state and thus, obviously, anti-Darwinian and fundamentally so. Understanable though. In little lambs I mean.

And they are still bleating even though they are in the vet's surgery being bathed and pampered by two soft-hearted ex-college girls who the vet has taken on because of their chronic empathema regarding suffering.

Every Red Sox fan knows that Yankees fans have had expert brain by-passes. Red Sox win--daddy smiles--daddy hands over nickel--patient bolts to ice-cream parlour--yum yum--Red Sox good. Soldered connection. Lasts a lifetime. Red Sox pitcher ends up in 70 years visiting patient in hospital to help sell more tickets for the game.

So how does it work I hear you thinking. It is so complex that it needs a committee with sub-committees and branches and offshoots and all extending across the centuries. One chap with some robotic gizmo is a nothing thing by the side of it. No doubt in the film chosen for the purpose of soldering connections, or strengthening the welds, the patient lived happily ever after. And it was a mere incident, completely dependent upon the VIBRANT infrastructure surrounding it, wheeas the brain by-pass surgeons are often working on millions at a time as well as lower numbers where the interface between the last offshoots and nothingness exists.

The trouble is that there are so many offshoots now, which dribble away into the nothingness of the a steel worker's thought pulses as he reads an editorial in his evening paper favourable to the ACLU, say, that they are all fighting amongst themselves and using advanced brain by-pass techniques. Hence the confusion.

But I wouldn't worry. I think the brain by-pass surgeons know what they are doing. Confusion might be useful.

The above is partly a guide for how to spot phoney Darwinians.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 10:31 am
@okie,
And how does that relate to the health plan being developed for Americans?
0 Replies