The Ellpus Give up smoking and buy a tooth thread.

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:06 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
<gustav concentrates on knitting tea cozy and is hardly aware of what is happening around him>

<Ellpus slips little blue pill into Gus's tea, so GW doesn't end up being disappointed again.>
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:08 am
<gus drinks with relish>
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:12 am
<Ellpus phones GW and tells her to get limbering up>
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:17 am
<somewhere in the Northeast region of the United States a woman screams. In the distance a dog barks>
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:21 am
<Meanwhile, on a dusty road near an old swamp, a dishevelled old guy with a really stiff leg limps his way Northwards, tea cosy in hand.....>
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:23 am
<arms and legs extended in a horizontal fashion, he appears to be moving along as if on a pogo stick>
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:23 am
Are you still taking suggestions on how to quit smoking? If so, here's mine. Money. That's the way to motivate yourself to quit.

Also, do it in steps.

When I quit, I made it a three-month goal. I figured out how much money I could save after that much time off the smokes and used that as incentive. I also took the money that I was spending on cigarettes and gave it to a friend of mine before each week. For me, it was about $50 a week. I then told him that if I cheat at all, he gets to keep it all, but if I make it the whole three months, I get all of it back. It ended up being about six hundred bucks.

Also, toothpicks, lifesavers, and Werther's hard candies were a big help at the beginning.

Okay, so that is all that I can offer in the way of help. I don't really expect you to follow it, I really just wanted to boast about the fact that I no longer smoke and you are a weak-willed girlyman who is still shackled to his negative addiction. HA!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:25 am
kickycan wrote:

When I quit, I made it a three-month goal. I figured out how much money I could save after that much time off the smokes and used that as incentive. I also took the money that I was spending on cigarettes and gave it to a friend of mine before each week. For me, it was about $50 a week. I then told him that if I cheat at all, he gets to keep it all, but if I make it the whole three months, I get all of it back. It ended up being about six hundred bucks.

That's either brilliant, or not.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:29 am
<at each bounce, millions of tiny gametes suddenly cry out in relief, and are suddenly silenced>
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:31 am
<weeks later, some really ugly earthworms are born and begin roaming the countryside in search of beer>
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:46 pm
kickycan wrote:

Okay, so that is all that I can offer in the way of help. I don't really expect you to follow it, I really just wanted to boast about the fact that I no longer smoke and you are a weak-willed girlyman who is still shackled to his negative addiction. HA!

Bastid!

Thanks for the ideas, Mr K.

Your idea about handing over the money is similar to the one that made my brother give up smoking.

He and a large group of his friends all gave up at the same time. The money was handed over to a trusted mate, who banked it away safely.
The rules were, that if anyone was caught cheating, he would lose the money already handed over.
Whoever was left at the end of three months shared the entire money pot.
Only one ducked out, and the others all went off on holiday to Malta with the money accumulated.

Just shows you how much dosh is wasted on ciggies, eh?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:47 pm
Absolutely. That money paid for my complete airfare to Italy that spring.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 05:07 pm
And the cad still hasn't written about the trip here...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 02:15 am
So, any news about your old (or new) teeth/tooth, LE?

I'll get my old out today .... and interims in. The new crowns later the week.
(Total costs for me ₤ 300)
0 Replies