The Ellpus Give up smoking and buy a tooth thread.

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:26 am
So.......I've just got back from a trip to the Dentist which was supposed to be one of those deep root canal jobbies, in preparation for a crown.
I broke half the tooth at Christmas, chewing on a particularly delicious nutty toffee.

The Dentist gave me a lovely "boobing" (see O'Bill thread) whilst plunging the four inch nerve remover up my canal, which is every boy's dream of heaven really.......pleasurable rubbing mixed with pain, fear and a jolly good white knuckle ride for ten minutes. MARVELLOUS!

Anyhoo, when she'd finished her probings, she announced that the root of the tooth (upper left four) was too far gone to act as a good anchor for a crown, so I was faced with two options.

1. Have the tooth out and whistle sideways through the gap.

2. See their Dental Surgeon for a consultation, in order to discuss having an "implant" (£2000!).

Now, this can be paid in twelve interest free installments, and I think I may go for it.

The thing is, it may force me (finally) to quit smoking.

Apparently, the "grafting" success rate is MUCH higher if the patient doesn't smoke.

Also, the money I save on the ciggies will also go a long way towards paying for the implant.

OK...is there anyone out there who's had one of these things done? How did it go? Would you recommend it? Any tips or warnings re. the procedure?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,234 • Replies: 93
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:29 am
I had some implants done on the top and was quite satisfied with the result.

http://www.healthyteeth.org/braces/mallo.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:36 am
Wow! Thanks, Gus.

Now I know why you're such a hit with the women.

Will I be as attractive as that? Or will British Dentists not be able to achieve such perfection?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:39 am
British dentists?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:40 am
Yes, a moron of the Oxy variety, I'll admit. There ARE one or two though.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:40 am
Is that like Congolese eskimoes?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:41 am
I never, until this thread, realized that you were a smoker, Lord.

You look fairly healthy.

Give it time.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:41 am
Caring politicians?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:43 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I never, until this thread, realized that you were a smoker, Lord.

You look fairly healthy.

Give it time.

Yes, a good havana after the abominable act helps me cope with the awful side of life, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:44 am
miltary intelligence?

compassionate conservative?

I have had the procedure and with proper numbing and a lot of Nitrous Oxide it was no worse than having a glass tube shoved up your dick and then hitting it with a mallet.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:45 am
Cigars? Nothing wrong with that.

Castro's still alive.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:46 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
miltary intelligence?

I have had the procedure and with proper numbing and a lot of Nitrous Oxide it was no worse than having a glass tube shoved up your dick and then hitting it with a mallet.

How is it that you nearly always manage to turn me on, BPB?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:48 am
Right...I also require some serious tips as to how to give up the dreaded weed.

Please.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:49 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
miltary intelligence?

How is it that you nearly always manage to turn me on, BPB?

Stop with the dirty talk you silver tongued Limey devil you, I'm getting the vapors.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:53 am
Ok, two issues... quitting smoking successfully and whether or not to have an implant.

How much do you smoke? Where are you on a scale of 1 (occasionally) to 10 (three packs/day)?

On the implant - Front left 4 is far away from center front to look fine. Implants tend to look like 'corn' teeth and a kernel of corn in the center of your smile can look a bit goofy. I had an alternative to an implant on tooth 8 (front tooth) called a root extrusion which was a hell-of-an-ordeal, but it was worth it because it was a front tooth and the root was in reasonable shape. Go for the implant.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:54 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Please.

Don't talk to Occom Bill.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:56 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Please.

And you ask here Shocked sheesh you should know better than to expect a serious answer.

ok you could move to OZ and never have to smoke another fag.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/summer/december06fires164.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:57 am
JPB wrote:
Ok, two issues... quitting smoking successfully and whether or not to have an implant.

How much do you smoke? Where are you on a scale of 1 (occasionally) to 10 (three packs/day)?

On the implant - Front left 4 is far away from center front to look fine. Implants tend to look like 'corn' teeth and a kernel of corn in the center of your smile can look a bit goofy. I had an alternative to an implant on tooth 8 (front tooth) called a root extrusion which was a hell-of-an-ordeal, but it was worth it because it was a front tooth and the root was in reasonable shape. Go for the implant.

On your scale, I would say a four. (good day ten cigs, bad day fifteen or so). Trouble is......I ENJOY the damned things so much!

I'm definitely going to need something to suck on.

A root extrusion sounds pretty painful, so being a scale 10 coward, I think I'll go for the implant.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:58 am
I had the very same bad luck - have of my tooth break out the day after Boxing Day.

The dentist (partner of mine) just closed it, saying his collegue would offer me some thoughts.

Which that one did, yesterday.
He's doing transplantations as well, he offered me to 'screw' one teeth and crown the two beside that one.

550 € - since it's not completely covered by health insurance. (Normal health insurance covers just the basics.)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:01 am
OOH! I've been moved to the A2K medical department.

NURSE! NURSE!

I need some relief of some sort!

(do we have an A2K nurse?)
0 Replies