The Ellpus Give up smoking and buy a tooth thread.

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 10:30 am
Um, Bill ...

O'Bill wrote:
Hopefully, I'll re-quit again soon, ...

You said this less than an hour ago. No time like the present.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:30 pm
Well Lord Ellpus?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:37 pm
Ellpussy is too shame-faced to come back on here, as he knows, in 1/2 an hour, I am on DAY 5!!! of not smoking.

I'm proud of myself... and yes, it is difficult, ellpussy, but I've every faith... I know you've got hard days on Wednesday and Thursday coming, so I'll let you give up on Friday!

Come on, Man!

Do it!

If I can...

You can.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:51 pm
Actually, Miss Smugsy, I'm on day three and going quite dizzy on patches.

I've also got my boy onto me, and he's keeping me going.

I'm very proud of you though.....five days is good!

Weds and Thurs will prove a challenge though, I must admit.

Maybe I need a volunteer to come along and keep my spirits up.

Day four tomorrow, and I've run out of chocolate biscuits!

DON'T PANIC!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:54 pm
I'm pleased for you both, smu.., smorgy and ellpy. Just the damn doing it in the first place is, to me, the hardest bit.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:57 pm
Yep, Osso, I quite agree.

If I had my way, every six year old would be given five cigarettes and made to smoke them one after the other 'til they puked.

Most of them would steer well clear of them after that sort of aversion therapy, I'd bet.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:10 pm
smorgs and Lord Ellpus.

I very proud of both of you.

More importantly, you shoud be very proud of yourself.

Keep it up, keep it up.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:39 pm
Here's yet another reason to be fighting mad enough to quit. The sneaky buggers are hiking up the nicotine levels so they have more control of your addiction and can sabbotage your efforts to stop smoking
Quote:
The study by the Harvard School of Public Health, published in the current issue of the medical journal Lancet, shows that manufacturers increased nicotine levels in their products by close to 11 percent between 1997 and 2005.

"The cigarette is a reservoir, so the cigarette companies are increasing the potential of the smoker to extract nicotine," says Gregory Connolly, the lead author of the study.

The study's researchers say the findings are troubling with regard to both current smokers, for whom the nicotine increases could affect their addiction to cigarettes, and young smokers, who could get addicted to the more potent cigarettes more easily.

"The research has been done, showing that even just one exposure to nicotine triggers changes in the brain that put a child at risk of becoming a smoker," says Hillel Alpert, research analyst at the Harvard School of Public Health and an author of the study.

"Increased nicotine in a cigarette means an increased potential for it to change the brain."

"If you want kids not to become addicted to smoking, the levels should be going down, not increasing," Connolly says.

The study confirms the findings of previous research conducted by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health in August 2006 that suggested nicotine content in cigarettes was on the rise. The earlier study indicated a roughly 10 percent increase in nicotine levels in cigarettes from 1998 to 2004."Our research, based on industry-provided data, showed that this increasing trend is not random," Alpert says.

"This trend is real. It is increasing, and it is not attributable to chance."

Experts not affiliated with the study agree.

"The levels of nicotine in cigarette smoke are not an accident," says Stanton Glantz, professor of medicine at University of California at San Francisco. "Cigarettes are a heavily engineered product with a number of product controls. So, if there's an increase, it was not an accident."

"The tobacco companies do knowingly and purposely control nicotine levels in their cigarettes," says Michael Cummings of the division of cancer prevention and population sciences at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, N.Y.

"While one might expect slight year-to-year variations in nicotine levels, the consistent upward levels found seem to suggest this is purposeful. "
Cummings says that whatever the motivation, the finding of the Harvard study suggests cigarette companies are moving in the wrong direction with regard to consumer health.

"The question that every consumer should be asking is why is the company saying that smoking causes disease and death and nicotine is addictive, but then putting more nicotine in cigarettes?" Cummings asks. "And what the hell is the government doing about it?"

Read the whole article here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerPreventionAndTreatment/story?id=2805667&page=1
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:41 pm
Think of it as the companies putting more and more lighter fluid on your paper money so they ignite more quickly.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:32 am
Interesting stuff, Bnet.

I'm admitting here that I'm finding it very hard....and will probably take up knitting before too long.

I went into the Pharmacist today, in order to get my "step 2" patches, and was pounced on by the owner, asking me to fill in a questionnaire.

Apparently, there is a major scheme (I don't know whether this is up in your neck of the woods, Sarah..worth an ask though) to get people to quit.

If I filled in the questionnaire (took about five mins) I could purchase the step 2 patches for £6.60, instead of the normal £15 or so. Step three, if I go back this time next week and confirm I'm still off the ciggies, will also cost me only £6.60.

Bloody good show!

<Ellpus feels a dire urge to knit a cardigan - goes off in search of wool>
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:37 am
Lord E., Did I ever mention I absolutely refuse to have sex with a man who smokes, but I'd do anything for a man who could knit me a tea cozy?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:42 am
Q. Because there is a distinct increase in urge to smoke immediately post naughties, is it worth just giving up sex for about six months, until I'm a confirmed non smoker?

I know the women of the UK will probably shed a tear at this possible turn of events, but doesn't my health come first?

Or is there another form of enjoyment that can be had afterwards?

Suggestions may be left here, or put on a postcard and sent to :-

"Alternative ideas for celebrating the completion of yet another outstanding act of erotic athleticism"

C/O THE ELLPUS FOUNDATION (monetary donations gratefully received)
Droitwich Manor
Gropers Lane
Wallop-Under-Bottom
England.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:45 am
Green Witch wrote:
Lord E., Did I ever mention I absolutely refuse to have sex with a man who smokes, but I'd do anything for a man who could knit me a tea cozy?

I'm sorry, GW, but I've decided to give up sex for six months.

Anyway, it'll take me that long to learn how to knit, so I'll get back to you in July, if that's OK.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:47 am
Five months, thirty days, twenty three hours and fifty eight minutes left to go.

Not that I'm counting, of course.

Doesn't time pass slowly when one is celibate!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:48 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Women like to cuddle afterwards, but all the men in my life just seemed to prefer passing out. Maybe try eating a little chocolate bar as a replacement for post sex smokes.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 09:00 am
Green Witch wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Women like to cuddle afterwards, but all the men in my life just seemed to prefer passing out. Maybe try eating a little chocolate bar as a replacement for post sex smokes.

It's worth a go, but I'm wondering if I can I eat a chocolate bar whilst unconcious?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 09:04 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

It's worth a go, but I'm wondering if I can I eat a chocolate bar whilst unconcious?

I do it all the time.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 09:14 am
Sorry to hear of your tooth problem...(only just got here)

£2000 for a new tooth!! Surely you can get one cheaper than that. Have you tried e Bay?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 09:59 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Sorry to hear of your tooth problem...(only just got here)

£2000 for a new tooth!! Surely you can get one cheaper than that. Have you tried e Bay?

Steve, the phenominal head boobing from my rather ample lady Dentist must be worth a couple of hundred on its own.

Plus, I get a sugar free lollipop at the end, but only if I've been a good boy, apparently.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:01 am
<gustav concentrates on knitting tea cozy and is hardly aware of what is happening around him>
0 Replies