Bush's 'hail Mary' Or will it be another fumble

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:27 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Tell me, what is the difference between terrorists & insurgents.

Terrorists attack civilian targets - usually indiscriminately, though not neccessarily so - with the purpose of fomenting social disorder through the chaos they cause.

Insurgents are the equivalent of 'freedom fighters'; those who oppose armed occupation of their country by a foreign force. Their attacks usually focus on military targets though they can include infrastructure.

The important distinction is that there is no moral issue with being an insurgent. The Iraqi insurgents have the right to decide that they don't want us in their country and can fight to remove us; their behavior is no different than we would expect ourselves to act in if China marched in and conquered half of the US. Morally they have to be dealt with in a different fashion than Insurgents.

When you lump all of our enemies in to the same category, you make a serious error, because the fact is we don't face a monolithic beast with singular motivations and desires. We face many small groups who have in common a dislike/hatred for the US, but their goals are quite different in nature and therefore the approach to the problem is quite different in nature. This is why every now and then you see talk about rolling the Sunnis more into the gov't, in hopes that they can be calmed down from the fighting; we still think they have a chance of becoming regular, productive members of society. Not so for the terrorists.

Quote:
Why wouldn't bombing work? It's working in SOmalia & tell me that's different than what's going on in Iraq.

You say "it's working in Somalia," but based upon what? The one report that we shot some people up with gunships there? Has this solved the violence? How exactly is it 'working?'

You see, our mission in Iraq - hope you're sitting down - isn't to conquer an army or kill as many people as we can who oppose us! Not at all! Our mission is to set up a peaceful society. It is difficult to believe that we are going to bomb and kill our way to a peaceful society.

Quote:
You're very good at saying what won't work, got any ideas of what would work?

I no longer believe anything we do will work. We've screwed things up so bad, created a severe power vacuum, to the point where the Sunnis and Shiites are just going to keep right on fighting for a long, long time.

I think if we had done a much better job in the immediate post-war period - not getting rid of the Iraqi Army, actually spending money rebuilding instead of wasting it, protecting power and water better, employing more Iraqis, working to develop a better oil-sharing structure (instead of giving our oil companies 30-year non-competitive leases to their oil) - maybe we could have done the critical thing: turning the regular, everyday citizens of Iraq against the extremists in their society who are willing to perpetrate this violence for as long as it takes.

I have said many times, that if only 5% of Iraqis support the insurgency, it will never be defeated without resorting to genocide. Never. There are around 30 million Iraqis; 5% of that is 1.5 million people working against our 150k or so. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the numbers aren't on our side. We would literally have to resort to killing hundreds of thousands of people to wipe the insurgency out.

We face a huge host of problems in trying to do something so basic as sorting the good guys, from the bad guys. We can't just look and see who is who; we don't speak the language; we don't understand the traditions of the area very well. We have to rely on Sunnis to tell us who is a 'bad guy' amongst the Shiite, and the other way around for the Sunnis. These two groups hate each other to the point where the intelligence becomes unreliable.

In short, we have done such a poor job of presenting the US as a 'better alternative' to the internal power struggles, that we have completely lost any ability to gain the trust back. We only have three options now: start killing large swathes of the Iraqi population, withdrawl, or hunkering down and hoping that the Iraqis can get their sh*t together and stop fighting. The administration will choose option #3 as it is the only one that is politically survivable, but it won't win the war for us.

It is important at all times to remember that this war, all the problems caused by it, everything - was optional. We brought this upon ourselves through the Bush team's lack of foresight and incredible hubris.

Cycloptichorn

You just gave the dictionary definition of insurgent & you know as well as everybody knows that the insurgents in Iraq are for the most part, Iranians, & that equals terrorist. How many gov't targets have the insurgents taken aim at or hit? Compare those numbers to the civillian targets that have been hit by the insurgents/terrorists. IMO, you're trying to make a case for the terrorists wanton & indiscriminate killing/murder of civillians.
Killing large swaths of Iraqi people, we don't aim at Iraqis, we aim at terrorists & bombing would certainly take out large swaths of them.
How did we bring this on ourselves Shoud we allow Al Qaeda, Iran, Taliban, or whoever suppports tjhe terrorists to dictate our foreign policy?
I no longer believe anything we do will work. Are you saying cut & run? Do you think that'll stop them from attacking us? We left them alone before & they still came after us.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:49 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Tell me, what is the difference between terrorists & insurgents.

Terrorists attack civilian targets - usually indiscriminately, though not neccessarily so - with the purpose of fomenting social disorder through the chaos they cause.

Insurgents are the equivalent of 'freedom fighters'; those who oppose armed occupation of their country by a foreign force. Their attacks usually focus on military targets though they can include infrastructure.

The important distinction is that there is no moral issue with being an insurgent. The Iraqi insurgents have the right to decide that they don't want us in their country and can fight to remove us; their behavior is no different than we would expect ourselves to act in if China marched in and conquered half of the US. Morally they have to be dealt with in a different fashion than Insurgents.

When you lump all of our enemies in to the same category, you make a serious error, because the fact is we don't face a monolithic beast with singular motivations and desires. We face many small groups who have in common a dislike/hatred for the US, but their goals are quite different in nature and therefore the approach to the problem is quite different in nature. This is why every now and then you see talk about rolling the Sunnis more into the gov't, in hopes that they can be calmed down from the fighting; we still think they have a chance of becoming regular, productive members of society. Not so for the terrorists.

Quote:
Why wouldn't bombing work? It's working in SOmalia & tell me that's different than what's going on in Iraq.

You say "it's working in Somalia," but based upon what? The one report that we shot some people up with gunships there? Has this solved the violence? How exactly is it 'working?'

You see, our mission in Iraq - hope you're sitting down - isn't to conquer an army or kill as many people as we can who oppose us! Not at all! Our mission is to set up a peaceful society. It is difficult to believe that we are going to bomb and kill our way to a peaceful society.

Quote:
You're very good at saying what won't work, got any ideas of what would work?

I no longer believe anything we do will work. We've screwed things up so bad, created a severe power vacuum, to the point where the Sunnis and Shiites are just going to keep right on fighting for a long, long time.

I think if we had done a much better job in the immediate post-war period - not getting rid of the Iraqi Army, actually spending money rebuilding instead of wasting it, protecting power and water better, employing more Iraqis, working to develop a better oil-sharing structure (instead of giving our oil companies 30-year non-competitive leases to their oil) - maybe we could have done the critical thing: turning the regular, everyday citizens of Iraq against the extremists in their society who are willing to perpetrate this violence for as long as it takes.

I have said many times, that if only 5% of Iraqis support the insurgency, it will never be defeated without resorting to genocide. Never. There are around 30 million Iraqis; 5% of that is 1.5 million people working against our 150k or so. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the numbers aren't on our side. We would literally have to resort to killing hundreds of thousands of people to wipe the insurgency out.

We face a huge host of problems in trying to do something so basic as sorting the good guys, from the bad guys. We can't just look and see who is who; we don't speak the language; we don't understand the traditions of the area very well. We have to rely on Sunnis to tell us who is a 'bad guy' amongst the Shiite, and the other way around for the Sunnis. These two groups hate each other to the point where the intelligence becomes unreliable.

In short, we have done such a poor job of presenting the US as a 'better alternative' to the internal power struggles, that we have completely lost any ability to gain the trust back. We only have three options now: start killing large swathes of the Iraqi population, withdrawl, or hunkering down and hoping that the Iraqis can get their sh*t together and stop fighting. The administration will choose option #3 as it is the only one that is politically survivable, but it won't win the war for us.

It is important at all times to remember that this war, all the problems caused by it, everything - was optional. We brought this upon ourselves through the Bush team's lack of foresight and incredible hubris.

Cycloptichorn

You just gave the dictionary definition of insurgent & you know as well as everybody knows that the insurgents in Iraq are for the most part, Iranians, & that equals terrorist. How many gov't targets have the insurgents taken aim at or hit? Compare those numbers to the civillian targets that have been hit by the insurgents/terrorists. IMO, you're trying to make a case for the terrorists wanton & indiscriminate killing/murder of civillians.
Killing large swaths of Iraqi people, we don't aim at Iraqis, we aim at terrorists & bombing would certainly take out large swaths of them.
How did we bring this on ourselves Shoud we allow Al Qaeda, Iran, Taliban, or whoever suppports tjhe terrorists to dictate our foreign policy?
I no longer believe anything we do will work. Are you saying cut & run? Do you think that'll stop them from attacking us? We left them alone before & they still came after us.

It is difficult to have discussions which are productive when you continually lump quite seperate groups together as if they were the same, when they are not.

Quote:
You just gave the dictionary definition of insurgent

Well, you did ask what the difference between Terrorists and Insurgents are, so I told you.

Quote:
& you know as well as everybody knows that the insurgents in Iraq are for the most part, Iranians, & that equals terrorist.

Oh, well, since everybody knows that the Shiite Iranians are the ones supporting the Sunni insurgents, maybe you could find a single fact/source showing that this is true.

You do realize that the Insurgents in Iraq are Sunnis? And that the Iranians are Shiites? And that they hate each other, right? So your contention is that Iran is funding the Sunni insurgency in Iraq against their fellow Shiites.

Just because you don't consider there to be a difference between sunnis, shiites, terrorsts, sectarian militias, and insurgents, doesn't mean that they aren't all real things with real differences. You should study up on this before pronouncing about what our strategy should be in Iraq.

Quote:
How many gov't targets have the insurgents taken aim at or hit?

Quite a few, in fact. The insurgents have attacked many American soldiers and are probably responsible for the majority of the casualties we have seen. They also focus on infastructure such as power and water generation sites, which are targets of opportunity in a conflict such as this. They have been quite effective at limiting the production of power and water and oil in the new regime.

Quote:
Compare those numbers to the civillian targets that have been hit by the insurgents/terrorists.

Yes, the numbers of civilian targets are quite high as well. The power vacuum in Iraq is conducive to such things.

Quote:
IMO, you're trying to make a case for the terrorists wanton & indiscriminate killing/murder of civillians.

As your opinion is stunningly uninformed about the actual situation, I'm not too concerned by your judgement of my opinion. You need to do more research before making such pronouncements.

Quote:

You aren't paying attention to what I've been writing. Without killing large swathes of people, we will never be able to find and defeat the insurgency and terrorism problems in Iraq. Never, becuase they are far too intergrated into the society, and as I stated above, even if the vast majority of the society is against them, we still are outnumbered considerably.

Quote:

You are hyperventilating here, inventing arguments noone made. We brought this on ourselves because the foreign policy decisions which we made were stupid ones. Just because it is the US dictating what happens instead of 'al qaeda' doesn't mean that every decision we make is a good decision.

It was a mistake to attack Iraq, and this was compounded by many further mistakes once we occupied Iraq. These mistakes were brought on by poor understanding of the situation, poor planning and great arrogance. Not AQ's fault, our fault.

Quote:
I no longer believe anything we do will work. Are you saying cut & run?

Did you cut and run from the grocery store last time you went?

How about when a building is on fire - do you cut and run when you leave?

Cut and Run is nothing more than an empty political slogan. When you say it, you reveal that you haven't properly researched the situation.

Quote:
Do you think that'll stop them from attacking us? We left them alone before & they still came after us.

I want you to repeat after me: Iraq did not attack America! And then keep repeating it until you remember it permanently.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:14 pm
I don't know where to start with that diatribe Cycloptichorn.
I never said Iraq attacked us, this war is not just in Iraq, that's what so many of you seem to be missing. We are at war with a terrorist faction, they're like swatting flies in the dark, but if we quit swatting they'll keep coming. Why is that so hard for you to understand? They have attacked & repeatedly attacked us &/or our interests & whether anybody wants to admit it or not, if they control the oil fields in the ME, they control the world. Do you know what the war between Iraq & Iran was about? [/B]OIL That's all Iran is trying to do now with their inserts of terrorists, control the oil.
There are differing opinions about Iraqs role in the attacks on us & Iraq did attack some of our planes, Iraq did break all 17 resolutions that the UN put against them. You can argue all you want about what insurgents are, it's still a war & one that we must at least keep at bay.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:52 pm
Webpage Title

I hope Ticomaya and Timberlandko do not mind. I still will not forget. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 08:01 pm
O.K., I'm off to watch Bush fumble his hail Mary.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 08:32 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
Webpage Title

I hope Ticomaya and Timberlandko do not mind. I still will not forget. Crying or Very sad

That should be shown everyday even though some say it's just too hard on the American people to see that footage That's code for, don't remind the American people.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 08:33 pm
JLNobody wrote:
O.K., I'm off to watch Bush fumble his hail Mary.

He didn't fumble, Dickie Durbin fumbeled, although not nearly as badly as he did when he called our troops killers & worse.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 08:44 pm
I find it ironic that Bush's failure (and don't kid yourselves, Iraq IS a failure) will quite possibly leave Iraq in the hands of terrorists or other enemies of the U.S., who will eventually use that safe haven to aquire weapons of mass destruction with which to attack us.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:15 pm
Bush is trying to fix it & said any & all mistakes made are his. Give it a chance for gawds sak
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:19 pm
I, for one, noticed that George didn't drool, not even once.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 10:14 pm
Thank you for noticing the improvement.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 10:19 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Thank you for noticing the improvement.
No problem, it's the little things we notice about George that endears us. I take it you also notice that he drools less than he used to.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 10:20 pm
Yes, i did, I also noticed that he forgot his Depends.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 10:41 pm
I think he fumbled terribly. His speech said nothing that will reverse the movement of the country against his Iraq "policy." He might as well not have talked.
It was interesting, however, that he didn't wear his red power tie.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:04 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I think he fumbled terribly. His speech said nothing that will reverse the movement of the country against his Iraq "policy." He might as well not have talked.
It was interesting, however, that he didn't wear his red power tie.

What did you expect him to say? Do you think he could've said anything that you would have approved of, other than "cut & run"?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:11 pm
How about "Sorry that I killed 3000 of your sons so I could try to prove I was better than my daddy"...
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:12 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
How about "Sorry that I killed 3000 of your sons so I could try to prove I was better than my daddy"...

& that would do what for the war effort?
He could've talked about the thousands of terrorists & taliban that's been killed too, but why would he?
BTW-daughters have died too.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:19 pm
War effort, Gracie? You still choose to think this is some kind of war that can actually be won on a battlefield? You're as seriously deluded as the leader you so slavishly adore.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 08:16 am
Bush speaks and say's nothing other than send send more cannon fodder and pass the ammunition.

WE keep hearing that Bush is not dumb as his actions would make us believe. That IMO is just another lie spread by his supporters.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 08:39 am
blacksmithn wrote:
War effort, Gracie? You still choose to think this is some kind of war that can actually be won on a battlefield? You're as seriously deluded as the leader you so slavishly adore.

Ah, we're back to police action are we? People like you refused to call Korea a war, Vietnam a war. You people are big on what to call things, aren't you, clean it up & it won't sound so bad or important.
It is a war & what i think of Bush has no bearing on the fact that this is a war!!
0 Replies