Bush's 'hail Mary' Or will it be another fumble

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:41 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
to answer the question directly...not a fumble... a total f*ck up.

Why should this new "strategy" be any different?

He's stretching it out so he can hand it off the the next president and not have to be the one who "lost the war". That's been said by many, it encapsulates the situation perfectly and really anything else said is just rhetorical.

F8cking loser.

I'm very glad he's not the President who sat on his hands and ignored the problem and hoped it would go away.

because things are now going so smoothly....have been going smoothly.... and the outlook is positive. Got it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:41 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
to answer the question directly...not a fumble... a total f*ck up.

Why should this new "strategy" be any different?

He's stretching it out so he can hand it off the the next president and not have to be the one who "lost the war". That's been said by many, it encapsulates the situation perfectly and really anything else said is just rhetorical.

F8cking loser.

I'm very glad he's not the President who sat on his hands and ignored the problem and hoped it would go away.

because things are now going so smoothly....have been going smoothly.... and the outlook is positive. Got it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:43 am
Has some horrific thing happened where they now have to share a brain?

Oh.... the horrors of war!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:44 am
Oh, who are you kidding? These soldiers are not robots with no brain. They know what is involved and the fact that they might not even make it back.
I think you underestimate their intelligence.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:45 am
tryingtohelp wrote:
You talk like they are robots with no mind of their own. They know what is happening and that they might come back home. I think they actually have a brain.

Of course they actually have a brain. Their brain is functionally and structurally the same as everyone else's brain; therefore it is not unreasonable to expect them to have biases towards the jobs that they signed up to do, just as everyone else would.

That's why I'm saying they are not exactly the most objective observers. It isn't a knock on them; it is a reality of their lives that the danger around them causes them to have to make tough decisions. They need to feel good about both the decisions, their consequences and the environment surrounding those decisions in order to maintain a healthy mental balance. This is difficult when your decisions involve killing people, something noone wants to do unless they have to (even soldiers!).

I've spoken to many troops who feelt that the Iraqis are more interested in fighting each other than in having any sort of peace; I've spoken to troops who love the Iraqi people for their kindness and just can't stand seeing more and more of them die over there. As I said above it isn't a monolithic view, hell, many of them are just waiting for their next tour (and a few real gems I talked to in the Marines couldn't wait to go 'kill more hajiis' to use their terms). All of these viewpoints are valid ones, and represent a wide range of opinion about the exact same subject.

None of them carry any greater weight than your or mine opinion, though.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:51 am
That is a fair statement and well said I might add.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:52 am
tryingtohelp wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Are you related to LSM, TTH?

Who is LSM?

I believe the piointed head one is referring to me.
I have a grandson in Afghanistan & he says that he & everyone he knows there believe that we should stay until the job is done, he said that they don't give a hoot what the nattering nabobs of negativity (liberals & media) say.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:53 am
what happened to the duplicate post filter I wonder? That's been happening to me quite a bit lately....
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:54 am
That is what the troops here say too.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:55 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
what happened to the duplicate post filter I wonder? That's been happening to me quite a bit lately....

No, I think you just like to hear yourself talk.jj
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:03 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:04 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
That is what the troops here say too.

Where is here?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:14 pm
Okay, so, opinions of the troops aside, will sending in 20k more actually do any good in your opinion?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:17 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
Unfortunately, I guess you are entitled to your opinion, since others died so you could have it.

like I said....
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:22 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Okay, so, opinions of the troops aside, will sending in 20k more actually do any good in your opinion?

Cycloptichorn

Not unless they're there to support just air missions. It takes five or six support troops for every ground troop, actually, it takes the same number of support troops for the pilots too, but the pilots can get a lot more done with one strike than ground troops can in days.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:34 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Not unless they're there to support just air missions. It takes five or six support troops for every ground troop, actually, it takes the same number of support troops for the pilots too, but the pilots can get a lot more done with one strike than ground troops can in days.

You really believe this is true?

Who do the pilots strike, and where?

Who finds out this information?

After the airstrikes, who goes in and cleans up anyone who has survived?

I submit that this is not the most effective way to end an insurgency, through bombing them into submission, as we will doubtlessly kill tens of thousands more civilians in the process.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:50 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I submit that this is not the most effective way to end an insurgency, through bombing them into submission, as we will doubtlessly kill tens of thousands more civilians in the process.

Cycloptichorn

Of course i believe it's true. Air strikes have been proven effective, Hiroshima, Dresden, The Balkins. We are the ones that clean it up afterwards. We know where & what to bomb the same way we have known, intelligence on the ground. It is working in Somalia at this very moment.
When we first went to Iraq, after Baghdad fell, our GIs couldn't even fire back at a snipe in a building until it was determined that no innocent people were in that building. That's nuts, terrorists (some like to call them insurgents) are known to hide in mosques, behind women & kids, old men. i'm sorry, but people die in war, the evil along with the innocent.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:40 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

Of course i believe it's true. Air strikes have been proven effective, Hiroshima, Dresden, The Balkins. We are the ones that clean it up afterwards. We know where & what to bomb the same way we have known, intelligence on the ground. It is working in Somalia at this very moment.
When we first went to Iraq, after Baghdad fell, our GIs couldn't even fire back at a snipe in a building until it was determined that no innocent people were in that building. That's nuts, terrorists (some like to call them insurgents) are known to hide in mosques, behind women & kids, old men. i'm sorry, but people die in war, the evil along with the innocent.

It's hard to know where to begin pointing out the errors in what you've written...

Hiroshima and Dresden have nothing to do with the current situation. Nothing. There are no workable analogies for bombing a country which has aggressively attacked you and been beaten back, and fighting an insurgency. You are merely saying that because bombs worked sometime in the past (did they with Dresden?) that they will work in every situation. This is foolish.

Your failure to discern between terrorists and insurgents - something that even those on the Right do - shows that you really don't understand the situation in Iraq one bit.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

It's hard to know where to begin pointing out the errors in what you've written...

Hiroshima and Dresden have nothing to do with the current situation. Nothing. There are no workable analogies for bombing a country which has aggressively attacked you and been beaten back, and fighting an insurgency. You are merely saying that because bombs worked sometime in the past (did they with Dresden?) that they will work in every situation. This is foolish.

Your failure to discern between terrorists and insurgents - something that even those on the Right do - shows that you really don't understand the situation in Iraq one bit.

Cycloptichorn

Tell me, what is the difference between terrorists & insurgents.
Why wouldn't bombing work? It's working in SOmalia & tell me that's different than what's going on in Iraq. You're very good at saying what won't work, got any ideas of what would work?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:14 pm
Quote:

Tell me, what is the difference between terrorists & insurgents.

Terrorists attack civilian targets - usually indiscriminately, though not neccessarily so - with the purpose of fomenting social disorder through the chaos they cause.

Insurgents are the equivalent of 'freedom fighters'; those who oppose armed occupation of their country by a foreign force. Their attacks usually focus on military targets though they can include infrastructure.

The important distinction is that there is no moral issue with being an insurgent. The Iraqi insurgents have the right to decide that they don't want us in their country and can fight to remove us; their behavior is no different than we would expect ourselves to act in if China marched in and conquered half of the US. Morally they have to be dealt with in a different fashion than Insurgents.

When you lump all of our enemies in to the same category, you make a serious error, because the fact is we don't face a monolithic beast with singular motivations and desires. We face many small groups who have in common a dislike/hatred for the US, but their goals are quite different in nature and therefore the approach to the problem is quite different in nature. This is why every now and then you see talk about rolling the Sunnis more into the gov't, in hopes that they can be calmed down from the fighting; we still think they have a chance of becoming regular, productive members of society. Not so for the terrorists.

Quote:
Why wouldn't bombing work? It's working in SOmalia & tell me that's different than what's going on in Iraq.

You say "it's working in Somalia," but based upon what? The one report that we shot some people up with gunships there? Has this solved the violence? How exactly is it 'working?'

You see, our mission in Iraq - hope you're sitting down - isn't to conquer an army or kill as many people as we can who oppose us! Not at all! Our mission is to set up a peaceful society. It is difficult to believe that we are going to bomb and kill our way to a peaceful society.

Quote:
You're very good at saying what won't work, got any ideas of what would work?

I no longer believe anything we do will work. We've screwed things up so bad, created a severe power vacuum, to the point where the Sunnis and Shiites are just going to keep right on fighting for a long, long time.

I think if we had done a much better job in the immediate post-war period - not getting rid of the Iraqi Army, actually spending money rebuilding instead of wasting it, protecting power and water better, employing more Iraqis, working to develop a better oil-sharing structure (instead of giving our oil companies 30-year non-competitive leases to their oil) - maybe we could have done the critical thing: turning the regular, everyday citizens of Iraq against the extremists in their society who are willing to perpetrate this violence for as long as it takes.

I have said many times, that if only 5% of Iraqis support the insurgency, it will never be defeated without resorting to genocide. Never. There are around 30 million Iraqis; 5% of that is 1.5 million people working against our 150k or so. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the numbers aren't on our side. We would literally have to resort to killing hundreds of thousands of people to wipe the insurgency out.

We face a huge host of problems in trying to do something so basic as sorting the good guys, from the bad guys. We can't just look and see who is who; we don't speak the language; we don't understand the traditions of the area very well. We have to rely on Sunnis to tell us who is a 'bad guy' amongst the Shiite, and the other way around for the Sunnis. These two groups hate each other to the point where the intelligence becomes unreliable.

In short, we have done such a poor job of presenting the US as a 'better alternative' to the internal power struggles, that we have completely lost any ability to gain the trust back. We only have three options now: start killing large swathes of the Iraqi population, withdrawl, or hunkering down and hoping that the Iraqis can get their sh*t together and stop fighting. The administration will choose option #3 as it is the only one that is politically survivable, but it won't win the war for us.

It is important at all times to remember that this war, all the problems caused by it, everything - was optional. We brought this upon ourselves through the Bush team's lack of foresight and incredible hubris.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies