[answered] Are PMs really private?

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:16 pm
Lash wrote:
...now the rescuers OF the suspicious...

Razz
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:22 pm
nimh wrote:
"Rescuers" my ass, bunny. I aint here to rescue noone. TTH obviously had the wrong end of the stick with her suspicion. Thats clear and its pretty much been made clear already too, through jokes and through rational explanation.

Thats my point - that shoulda been the end of that. I just dont see what practical objective it serves to then pile on about the evil intentions everyone assumes her to have had in bringing up the point way she did - doing it all for attention, wanting to stir **** up, whatever explanation of choice.

Butrflynet is right of course - she describes what would have been the sensible thing to do for TTH. But you know what, people are an irrational lot. Sometimes they dont do the rational thing. Might be because they're out to stir up ****, might be because they're a little paranoid, might be for whatever.

Whats the point in going on about the various devious reasons you think she had for it, once the issue's been settled? I mean, what objective you hope to achieve with that? Suppose someone is unduly paranoid about something, how do you think going on and on about her "BS" for post after post gonna help anything?

And your "on goes the cycle" is especially rich in this context, dlowan, considering you have written, just how many posts now on this thread after Jespah's post, when the question was basically solved? If this is the obvious cycle, you've played no small role in kicking it off.

No Lash, its not my dick speaking - its my fear, I guess. I'm flawed too, I do or post irrational stuff too, perhaps less than A, more than B. If I go off on a limb and post something thats off, do I want the lynch mob to come after me for ten pages and shame me off the board? Damn.

I will never allow anyone to lynch you! Cypher and I will mow down any nimh opposition!!

Plus, nimh, she was very clearly cruisin for a bruisin.

Cypher! Please salivate over nimh privately. You know I'm sensitive about his virtual private parts.

<Betrayed, bewildered>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:25 pm
nimh wrote:
And your "on goes the cycle" is especially rich in this context, dlowan, considering you have written, just how many posts now on this thread after Jespah's post, when the question was basically solved?

OK, just three.

<swallows>

But still, you know! <ahem>

I stand by the part about playing no small role in helping along a cycle that you then deplore, though. Theres something unpleasant about those who jump into a brawl only to next up pull out and go, "tut tut look at those brawlers".
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:28 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Wait, what were we talking about?.....sorry, I've been kind of distracted ever since Lash mentioned nimh's virtual dick....

nimh's virtual dick

(Lash might like it better than Cypher..)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:28 pm
nimh wrote:
If I go off on a limb and post something thats off, do I want the lynch mob to come after me for ten pages and shame me off the board? Damn.

Don't worry, Nimh. I would be all over them like Gus on a sheep with a shaved ass. Punks. So go ahead, post that story about how the last woman you were with had a clitoris that was bigger than your weenie. Go ahead! Don't be afraid! I'm with you, buddy!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:47 pm
Never! Never!

Never will I admit that Ive never been with a woman whose clit wasnt bigger than my weenie..

Oh **** wait
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:19 pm
nimh wrote:
cyphercat wrote:
Wait, what were we talking about?.....sorry, I've been kind of distracted ever since Lash mentioned nimh's virtual dick....

nimh's virtual dick

(Lash might like it better than Cypher..)

Oh, yuck! That's just plain gross!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:19 pm
I'm going to answer everyone in one big post here, so things are going to be combined. But rest assured, I have read all of the responses. Gus, bring it on. :wink: ebrown, I like your encrypted post but really, I think the designated hitter rule has its place in modern-day baseball.

First off, I agree with those who said I should not have taken things personally. Of course that is correct and I apologize for that. And if that led to any piling on, on any member here, then I doubly apologize for that. And, I will not get into discussions about motivations.

Second, I cannot and will not share much about our security situation, particularly out here on the 'net. That is, re encryption, etc. etc. No sense in handing out information that can be pulled by hackers and others who wish the site ill. I will clarify. When I said, the Admins cannot read your PMs, it was and is absolutely true. This is because the site is one large database. There are certain levels of view and write access. Admins do not have view access to the areas of the database devoted to the members' PMs. Craven de Kere, like any other site owner on the planet, has full and complete access to all areas of the site. Why? Because he pays the bills, that's why. If this setup is not acceptable to anyone, then I'm sorry. So be it. A person with privacy concerns can change their communications from PMs to emails. And then, of course, they can be concerned about that, and ask Yahoo! or BTInternet or AOL or whoever about how private their emails are. Want to really be concerned about privacy? See how private your emails are at work.

It should come as no great shock that the Internet is not as private as a message written in invisible ink on a tuna fish sandwich that you then swallow. Perfect privacy? We make no such warranties. The site can, of course, be hacked, just like any other on the Internet, so keep your truly personal information, such as surname, phone number etc. off the site. But ultimately you are the guardian of your own privacy.

We do our best to prevent hacking but it is not impossible. But in the ordinary course of dealings, we in the Mod and Admin groups are not reading your PMs. And we're not reading them in the out of the ordinary course of dealings, either. One thing I do want to point out, though. If we were presented with a legitimate subpoena, we would comply fully with the law.

Third, changing the title from "Private Message" to "Personal Message" or the like would involve a change in the templates for all of the views of the site, as I understand it. Such an overhaul is not planned for the site.

Fourth, as has been indicated above, all PMs have a report button (as do all of the posts on the site). And, like everything else electronic out there, anyone can right-click, select copy, go to a notepad document or email or a second instance of Internet Explorer and just paste anything in anywhere. Copy and paste don't stop working just because it says "Private Message". Your private message is only as private as the faith you have in its recipient.

Fifth, thanks for the appreciation all around, but please, thank the hamsters. We keep their names on the QT so that they can post freely and enjoy the site. I know that what I say can sometimes be interpreted more closely than the Zapruder Film, because I'm the known Admin (other than CdK). In many ways, they have it good because they can speak freely. But give 'em some love. They deserve it more than you know. And if you feel that's kissing up, you're entitled to your opinion in that area. I'm certainly not in the business of making anyone thank anyone for anything if they don't want to.

Sixth, I think two questions were asked here. Or, rather, a question was asked and then a statement was made. But the inquiry was certainly legit and, like any other question, deserved a response.

Seventh, as before, I welcome a chance, if it will be given to me, to investigate this matter. If there is a security leak of any sort, I want to plug it. The Help Desk is the place to go. See: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89566 for, er, help on how to use the Help Desk.

Eighth and FYI, the avatars are for fun. Some people post their own photo. Many do not. I imagine the younger women may not post their photos if they don't want to be hit on. Me, I really am a sleeping dog, so I post my own photo. Smile

Finally, let's move beyond this, mmmkay? However it all started, and however it all unfolded, let's end it here.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:01 pm
You're an angel, Jes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:11 pm
nimh wrote:
nimh wrote:
And your "on goes the cycle" is especially rich in this context, dlowan, considering you have written, just how many posts now on this thread after Jespah's post, when the question was basically solved?

OK, just three.

<swallows>

But still, you know! <ahem>

I stand by the part about playing no small role in helping along a cycle that you then deplore, though. Theres something unpleasant about those who jump into a brawl only to next up pull out and go, "tut tut look at those brawlers".
\

Your assumption that I was not including myself in this broil is utterly wrong, and, I would have thought, obvious. So go hump a goat, or stick your head up your arse, whichever feels more comfortable.

Or both if you really like it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:13 pm
Sorry jes....I will shut up now no matter how much I want to beat Nimh up.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:25 pm
Ah, that's just your virtual vagina talking.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:43 pm
KICKY'S BACK!!!

YEA!!!!

How'd you get free? Did they hurt you? Were you scared? Tell us all about it ... we were all so worried.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:52 pm
It was horrible, I tell ya! It was the amazon women again!

I thought when I'd escaped their clutches years ago that I'd seen the last of them, but somehow they found me. They kept me in a dark room and had their way with me for hours at a time, and....they made me watch Oprah! Oh, the horror of it all!

I finally fashioned a crude weapon out of a dildo and some chewing gum and fought my way to safety. It was a harrowing experience. Thank god I'm free!!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 08:05 pm
Well, good Kicky, bad Kicky, I dont care, I think you're cool. One of the coolest dudes on A2K.

There, that musta been the nicest thing thats been said to you here in a year Twisted Evil
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 08:10 pm
That was very nice, Nimh. And of course, I feel the same way about you.

Wanna make out?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:41 pm
Aww, that's sweet. See, Kicky, nimh still flirts with you all the time!

*eagerly readying camera*
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:57 am
kickycan wrote:
Ah, that's just your virtual vagina talking.

I don't need no "virtual" nothing, Kicky....I have the real thing.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 02:06 am
kickycan wrote:
That was very nice, Nimh. And of course, I feel the same way about you.

Wanna make out?

Can I watch?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:45 pm
I think the nimh protectors may have to slay that Hare Vagina.
0 Replies