[answered] Are PMs really private?

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:52 pm
kickycan wrote:
I think TTH had a legitimate question. I realize that we all know how great things are here and how wonderful the mods and administrative people are, but she doesn't, and she's asking a simple question that she doesn't understand. So why is everyone getting on her case about it? She has her answer now anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. I just wanted to defend her, because everyone else here seems to want to disparage her just for being concerned about something that makes sense to be concerned about.

Agreed. TTH is obviously upset about something and she has a right to ask questions.

But TTH, you said that these people "know who they are" so why don't you challenge them about it? It might be the only way to resolve the situation. Is it possible that something has been misinterpreted?

x
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:52 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
cyphercat wrote:
Wow, it's cool to watch Kicky and Bella when they're angry at each other, instead of just the usual "Let's f#ck" that we hear from them. It adds another dimension to the sexual tension. It's like an episode of Moonlighting in here!

Kicky's pretty hot right about now.

Just don't give in to the attraction, or A2K will jump the shark...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:53 pm
the bunny is right
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:09 pm
dlowan wrote:
kickycan wrote:
I think TTH had a legitimate question. I realize that we all know how great things are here and how wonderful the mods and administrative people are, but she doesn't, and she's asking a simple question that she doesn't understand. So why is everyone getting on her case about it? She has her answer now anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. I just wanted to defend her, because everyone else here seems to want to disparage her just for being concerned about something that makes sense to be concerned about.

You need a better BS detector.

A legitimate concern is one thing....and I do not think anyone would have "got on her case" about such a concern legitimately expressed. However, the "I know but I won't tell" gaminess is really inappropriate...especially when linked with a serious accusation.

How do you know it's bullshit? That's not very fair and I think her concern was legitimately enough expressed and she has a right to keep the details to herself (although I do agree that it's irritating).

Everyone has been so busy being outraged that has anyone noticed that TTH has not replied for ages? I feel like she has been bullied a little bit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:11 pm
She never had to tell us but she clearly didn't want to tell the admin either so that tells me that it's a bogus claim or that she's making too much out of nothing.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:14 pm
She was simply asking about whether PMs are really private and didn't actually make any "claims". Just because it means nothing to you, Bella, doesn't mean it's nothing to her.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:14 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
dlowan wrote:
kickycan wrote:

You need a better BS detector.

A legitimate concern is one thing....and I do not think anyone would have "got on her case" about such a concern legitimately expressed. However, the "I know but I won't tell" gaminess is really inappropriate...especially when linked with a serious accusation.

How do you know it's bullshit? That's not very fair and I think her concern was legitimately enough expressed and she has a right to keep the details to herself (although I do agree that it's irritating).

Has anyone notice that TTH has not replied for ages. I feel like she has been bullied a little bit.

I cannot know whether her concerns are BS, since she will not disclose them.

Kind of an indicator there, I would think.

I do know that the "I could a tale unfold...but I won't" means of expressing those concerns IS BS.

Think about it, and the effect that such an approach has, and you may, or may not, agree. So be it.

But my BS detector is redlining, and I have learned to trust it over the years.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:15 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Just don't give in to the attraction, or A2K will jump the shark...

Laughing
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:17 pm
Ok, say for arguments sake that it is BS. What would be her motive for saying it? Just for attention? It doesn't make sense.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:19 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
She was simply asking about whether PMs are really private and didn't actually make any "claims". Just because it means nothing to you, Bella, doesn't mean it's nothing to her.

In several posts she alluded to the mods reading her pms. As well as other posters.

And again, if this is a problem why didn't she ask the mods?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:21 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
Ok, say for arguments sake that it is BS. What would be her motive for saying it? Just for attention? It doesn't make sense.

As if that doesn't happen here ever....right....

Plenty of people here post just for attention. Do you think everyone's story is always legit? If you do, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:26 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
I know I won't get any brownie points for this one Rolling Eyes I want to make sure things are clear. This site says ask an expert. Who are these experts?
I am not trying to put the site down, well maybe just a little. Also the admin. staff can read pm's which according to this site stands for "private message".

Is that the reason for the avatars? Privacy? I thought there wasn't any. How much confusion can one take? I might as well put my picture back. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Attention works, so does self-admitted generalized confusion. A certain verse from an old Buffalo Springfield song comes to mind.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:29 pm
JPB wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:
I know I won't get any brownie points for this one Rolling Eyes I want to make sure things are clear. This site says ask an expert. Who are these experts?
I am not trying to put the site down, well maybe just a little. Also the admin. staff can read pm's which according to this site stands for "private message".

Is that the reason for the avatars? Privacy? I thought there wasn't any. How much confusion can one take? I might as well put my picture back. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Attention works, so does self-admitted generalized confusion. A certain verse from an old Buffalo Springfield song comes to mind.

Lol!

My BS detector weren't just reacting from this thread, neither.

Attention and discord and general turbulence would be the pay off I would be guessing.

"By their fruit ye shall know them."

Look to the fruit.

(Dammit...not only have I been forced to agree with Tico, I have actually quoted from the bible...I'm outta here....)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:49 pm
Wow arent we all jumping to a bunch of conclusions.

People are a confused lot. Some of 'em are mistaken, some a little paranoid, some have a chip on their shoulder, some take things too personally, some tend to fly off the handle. Man's an imperfect creation.

Like with conspiracies, its a hell of a lot more likely, if the **** hits the fan somewhere, that its the result of a bunch of confusion, suspicion and misunderstanding than of some cunning plan or scheme.

On the internet, especially, you have a higher than usual chance to encounter people with an oddity or psychological flaw here or there. People are prone to act (out) a little oddly now and then. If the acting out in question is addressed to you, you're of course welcome to speak out or defend yourself, like Jespah did here. But when someone acts oddly, it does not generally exactly help to pile on assumptions that (s)he does it deliberately, to create discord and turbulence, whore out for attention, or whatever. It might be so, but half the time it aint. Meantime, assuming and publicly proclaiming that someone is doing exactly that might well hurt someone.

TTH got both the serious answer (from Jes) and the playful answer (through the jokes about PMs) her question deserved. End. Lay off the declarations about her evil intentions allright? It dont serve no practical objective.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:54 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:

1. Who are the moderators these days? Mod avatars and profiles aren't labeled anymore. How does TTH know her suspect is a moderator?

2. It has been repeatedly requested by the administrator that A2K members use the Help Desk feature to communicate problems and concerns to the Admin and Mods.

3. The concern was posted here. When advised to use the Help Desk for the specific concern she was unwilling to devulge, the advice was shunned. The very same posts made here could have been directed to the Help Desk and had the same result without all the ensuing debate.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:00 pm
Nimh.

That's your virtual dick talking.

She was aiming to stir up things round these parts.

<bites off tobaccy stick, chaws while thinking suspicious thoughts, spits icky, gooey substance to the left>

<looks intently at assembly of accusers>

<and nimh>

<I think I'm gus' gnarled great aunt who lives alone in the bayou>

Anyway,...She's guilty!

Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:01 pm
And on goes the cycle...now the rescuers, now the suspicious.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:04 pm
...now the rescuers OF the suspicious...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:14 pm
Now the suspected rescued yet suspicious receivers of suggestible resuscitation of the--

Wait, what were we talking about?.....sorry, I've been kind of distracted ever since Lash mentioned nimh's virtual dick....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:15 pm
"Rescuers" my ass, bunny. I aint here to rescue noone. TTH obviously had the wrong end of the stick with her suspicion. Thats clear and its pretty much been made clear already too, through jokes and through rational explanation.

Thats my point - that shoulda been the end of that. I just dont see what practical objective it serves to then pile on about the evil intentions everyone assumes her to have had in bringing up the point way she did - doing it all for attention, wanting to stir **** up, whatever explanation of choice.

Butrflynet is right of course - she describes what would have been the sensible thing to do for TTH. But you know what, people are an irrational lot. Sometimes they dont do the rational thing. Might be because they're out to stir up ****, might be because they're a little paranoid, might be for whatever.

Whats the point in going on about the various devious reasons you think she had for it, once the issue's been settled? I mean, what objective you hope to achieve with that? Suppose someone is unduly paranoid about something, how do you think going on and on about her "BS" for post after post gonna help anything?

And your "on goes the cycle" is especially rich in this context, dlowan, considering you have written, just how many posts now on this thread after Jespah's post, when the question was basically solved? If this is the obvious cycle, you've played no small role in kicking it off.

No Lash, its not my dick speaking - its my fear, I guess. I'm flawed too, I do or post irrational stuff too, perhaps less than A, more than B. If I go off on a limb and post something thats off, do I want the lynch mob to come after me for ten pages and shame me off the board? Damn.
0 Replies