Need Help for a Friend--A Room in NYC

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:14 am
That thing about dogs and vomit comes to mind.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 04:17 pm
LOL - hadn't read any of the posts on scorpions, acid eating through faces, dogs vomiting, and suchlike horrors, but have just been informed by a risk management colleague (he's a medical doctor) that psychotic ideation with hallucinations is contagious, and listed as such in the latest DSM. Caveat emptor, as the Romans used to say.

To the point:

the same MD believes it's important for anyone who came into contact with the original patient described here, particularly if he subsequently had to be prescribed antibiotics, and even more particularly if he has an impaired immune system, to get details on the original pathogen.

Quote:

Citywide temporal and spatial clustering in syndrome visits, by hospital location or residential zip code, is assessed by using adaptations of temporal and spatial scan statistics ............. When necessary, field investigations are conducted.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwR/preview/mmwrhtml/su5301a6.htm

Quote:
Where a statistical analysis said there should have been 7 such cases over three days, there were 23. The next day, there were 47.

Suspecting an outbreak ...............
.............the increase was caught by a computer at the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's headquarters in Lower Manhattan, where a statistical analysis program warned that there was only a 1 in 1,000 chance of such a thing being a random occurrence.

''New York City is clearly at the cutting edge of this, the model for others to follow,'' said Paula J. Olsiewski, a program director of the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, a philanthropic group that has financed the development of syndromic surveillance software.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D03E2DB1738F937A35757C0A9659C8B63
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 04:40 pm
Incredible - 2,000 (two thousand) hits since the last post and not a single comment.

Is this thread linked to some medical warning list?

The 2 persons named here who came into contact with the original patient most fortunately did survive (though after long hospital stays) - that's in case said list is reserved for ambulance- or coffin-chasing lawyers.

In any event - next visitors, please post the nature of your interest in this thread; thank you Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 02:11 pm
High Seas ( I think I shall invite you to the Pan the next time we are going, you have such an interesting take on things.)

I think people click on this thread, read it, and then decide (or know) that there is nothing that they can say or do to make things different, better or both.

Rather than say anything they stay silent.

Joe(I wish sometimes I did that.)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:14 pm
High Seas wrote:
Region Philbis wrote:
http://www.furious.com.au/images/afficons/creeps.jpg

Quote:
If I break the light-speed barrier, I'll let you know yesterday.
-- jes

If that's wrong, you can assume other stuff is wrong too.
-- Roberta

With respect, Philbis, both quotes are dangerously erroneous - the first one by ignoring quantum fluctuations (studied with the late Richard Feynman and can post his proof to that one) and the second simply by the fact the poster is the same one who spread the deadly (fortunately not for herself, or the other person involved in the thread you know about, even though the latter had to spend a week in isolation at death's door) so you might reconsider both quotes at your convenience.

P.S. the original thread in question >
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3310948#3310948
>has had a couple of thousand hits (couple of thousands!) but no posts (none!) since the last post. Does Jespah have some way to check where the hits originate? Should we have called the hazmat feds to begin with?! Thanks to both of you and regrets in advance if I don't acknowledge receipt of your advice immediately as I'm travelling.

I'd like to put this matter to rest. In order for something to be deadly, someone needs to have died. No one did.

My friend has diabetes and got an infection (not uncommon with diabetes). She lost her toe. The infection was not contagious; she was never isolated. Why would she be? She didn't want a home health care worker coming to her home. She asked me to find her a room. I tried to oblige her. She made other arrangements. She got lessons in injecting herself with insulin.

As for the number of views of this thread, I can only assume that people open this thread for the same reason they open any thead they haven't read--the title. People may be looking for a room in New York City. It's possible that google or other search engines bring them to this thread.

BTW, at my suggestion, my friend hired a home organizer and cleared out her apartment.

The end.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 04:20 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
High Seas ( I think I shall invite you to the Pan the next time we are going, you have such an interesting take on things.)

I think people click on this thread, read it, and then decide (or know) that there is nothing that they can say or do to make things different, better or both.

Rather than say anything they stay silent.

Joe(I wish sometimes I did that.)Nation

It's certainly enough to leave any normal human being unable to speak.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 04:45 pm
I agree, of course, with The End.

Just adding I'm glad your friend got things working out better.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:20 pm
Roberta, you're a good friend.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:12 pm
indeed.

JN
0 Replies