Need Help for a Friend--A Room in NYC

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 03:44 pm
kickycan wrote:
Hey! I like HOFT!

Then she's probably not spat pure acid in your face yet, as she just did, entirely wantonly, to Roberta, and will do to others here before long.

It's the luck of the draw.

You may wish to look at her posts here to get an idea.

But....my apologies to Boida for expressing myself re this poster on her thread.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 03:49 pm
Actually, I'm talking about the real-life personage of HOFT. She's one of the most uniquely interesting people I've ever met.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 03:50 pm
It would be nice if her real-life personage (which I have no experience of) would leach a bit more into her online postings, then.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 03:57 pm
sozobe wrote:
It would be nice if her real-life personage (which I have no experience of) would leach a bit more into her online postings, then.

Just what I was thinking.

It would be pleasant to see something of the person who some people I respect and like here apparently get to see.

I have never seen much of a whisker of that person here on A2k.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 04:06 pm
High Seas wrote:
. . . and fewer still of that subset require that the existing neighbors not be notified of the hospitalization.

I have no idea what this means or is referring to. My friend doesn't want the visiting nurse to come to her apartment for her own personal reasons. Her hospitalization is no secret to her neighbors or anyone else. She's not in isolation at the hospital (a very reputable hospital). I think perhaps you've misunderstood.

As for the rest of the posts since I was last here, the only one I followed totally was Dys's. I did not give you any funny looks while you ate your meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and gravy. I was too busy staring at your cowboy hat.

Thanks all for jumping in.

BTW, the Lady Diane has met this friend. I'm hoping that no parts are falling off the dear Lady Di.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 04:36 pm
Roberta wrote:
High Seas wrote:
. . . and fewer still of that subset require that the existing neighbors not be notified of the hospitalization.

I have no idea what this means or is referring to. My friend doesn't want the visiting nurse to come to her apartment for her own personal reasons. Her hospitalization is no secret to her neighbors or anyone else. She's not in isolation at the hospital (a very reputable hospital). I think perhaps you've misunderstood.

As for the rest of the posts since I was last here, the only one I followed totally was Dys's. I did not give you any funny looks while you ate your meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and gravy. I was too busy staring at your cowboy hat.

Thanks all for jumping in.

BTW, the Lady Diane has met this friend. I'm hoping that no parts are falling off the dear Lady Di.

Boida, I have never seen such a calm, rational and measured response to such a demented, feckless, reckless and vicious attack.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 04:49 pm
dlowan wrote:

Boida, I have never seen such a calm, rational and measured response to such a demented, feckless, reckless and vicious attack.

I just reread the original comment. Missed some of the demented feckless, reckless, and vicious on first reading. Never been accused of abetting a felony before. Of course, first there has to be a felony before I can abet it. However, the reread has me upset. Don't understand how someone can be so CERTAIN with so little information. Also don't understand how someone can be so vicious to someone who's trying to help a friend.

I asked my friend if the infection was contagious. She was told no. Why would reputable doctors and a good hospital lie about such a thing. It's just unusual. She lost a bit of her toe. The docs are concerned that it might have gotten to her bone. The IV will be daily for a short while and then taper off.

Still upset. And thanking all of you for jumping in.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 05:27 pm
Roberta wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I just reread the original comment. Missed some of the demented feckless, reckless, and vicious on first reading. Never been accused of abetting a felony before. Of course, first there has to be a felony before I can abet it. However, the reread has me upset. Don't understand how someone can be so CERTAIN with so little information. Also don't understand how someone can be so vicious to someone who's trying to help a friend.

I asked my friend if the infection was contagious. She was told no. Why would reputable doctors and a good hospital lie about such a thing. It's just unusual. She lost a bit of her toe. The docs are concerned that it might have gotten to her bone. The IV will be daily for a short while and then taper off.

Still upset. And thanking all of you for jumping in.

For the "certain" aspect one needs but to look at the posting history of Hoft...ie the cetainty relates to nothing in the real world, but to the nature of the internal world of the attacker. In other words, **** knows, but what can you expect from this person?

Indeed...one can reasonably assume that the doctors would not recklessly endanger 8 million lives (14 if we count those who commute in to Manhattan every day.) I suspect thay MAY, just MAY, of course, have determined the nature of the germs they are treating your friend for.

Lord knows I have been in extensive contact with people on just such treatment regimes when I worked in a hospital. Oddly enough, I am still alive, as are the people who nursed them.

Fuhgeddaboudit......

Hoft always reminds me of the fable of the frog and the scorpion. Do you know that one?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 05:43 pm
dlowan wrote:

For the "certain" aspect one needs but to look at the posting history of Hoft...ie the cetainty relates to nothing in the real world, but to the nature of the internal world of the attacker. In other words, **** knows, but what can you expect from this person?

Indeed...one can reasonably assume that the doctors would not recklessly endanger 8 million lives (14 if we count those who commute in to Manhattan every day.) I suspect thay MAY, just MAY, of course, have determined the nature of the germs they are treating your friend for.

Lord knows I have been in extensive contact with people on just such treatment regimes when I worked in a hospital. Oddly enough, I am still alive, as are the people who nursed them.

Fuhgeddaboudit......

Hoft always reminds me of the fable of the frog and the scorpion. Do you know that one?

It just dawned on me that HOFT (Helen of Troy) and High Seas are the same person. This clarifies many of the previous posts--when I said I couldn't follow what was going on.

Know the scorpion and the frog.

I looked at some of the posts of High Seas. An intelligent, well-read person. Saw some nastiness. Don't know why someone make would make such a leap and accuse me and my friend and all the people involved at the hospital of trying to kill off 8 million people. Or even one person for that matter.

As much as I care about this friend, I wouldn't go near her if she were infectious. Nor would I help her in any way that might harm others.

Bewildering, hurtful, and still UPSETTING.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 07:43 pm
The thing that worries me most about this situation, besides Roberta investing too much of her own energies into it, is that her friend will delay or avoid treatment rather than allow someone into her apartment. (I'm suspecting a Collyer Brothers Condition rather than anything more sinister. Sorry, I saw the The Dazzle, by Richard Greenberg not too long ago. )

We just had a slightly similar situation in our building. I and the fellow members of the board were advised that one apartment still had not had it's new intercom unit installed because the resident was refusing entry. This was interfering with the rest of the units in the line above her apartment from being able to use their intercoms to open the front door for deliveries.

At the suggestion of one of our members, we negotiated a half-measure. The resident erected two screens which blocked off any view of the apartment beyond the few feet needed to do the work on the intercom.

Perhaps the same could be done here. Your friend could devise a room inside the entranceway to her apartment, large enough to provide the nurse room to work but still providing her the privacy she needs.

Joe(high seas, love her but she's wayayayay off)Nation
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:57 pm
Roberta,

Have you thought about a residential hotel?

Here's a description of the one near Time Square

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - 357 suites
W. 39th Street & Avenue of the Americas
Opened: December 2005
The first Residence Inn by Marriott in New York City, this extended stay hotel is part of the Bryant Park Tower, a 43-story building that includes 96 studio and one-bedroom rental apartments, street level retail space, a bar overlooking Bryant Park and onsite valet parking. The hotel is owned by G. Holdings Corporation and operated as a Residence Inn.
Press: 212/704-8906 www.marriott.com

and here's Marriot's website of other residential hotels in the area:

http://marriott.com/search/findHotels.mi

Residence Inn by Marriott

Your home away from home.

Count on us for:
New beds with fresh, crisp, white linens
Socially active community
Fully-equipped kitchens
Complimentary breakfast buffet
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 10:13 pm
Joe, You hit the nail on the head, Collyer Brothers-wise. I've never been allowed inside, so I can only guess at the state of thing. I like your suggestion. It might be a reasonable compromise she can make. I'll suggest it to her. Thanks mucho.

Butrfynet, I have checked out almost every residential in New York City. They're all too expensive. However, I'll send my friend your suggestions. Maybe she'd be able to work out some kind of financial arrangement. Thanks for taking the time to check and for the links. I appreciate it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:50 am
Oy! That hoarding thing is so sad.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:13 am
dlowan wrote:
Oy! That hoarding thing is so sad.

I was trying to avoid bringing it up. I figured that was her business. But Joe guessed, and I wouldn't lie about it. I said earlier in this thread that this person is a bissel meshuga. We've all got our pockets of nutsiness. In her case, the good outweighs the weird. And frankly, I like a little weird.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:09 am
Joe Nation wrote:
The thing that worries me most about this situation, besides Roberta investing too much of her own energies into it, is that her friend will delay or avoid treatment rather than allow someone into her apartment. (I'm suspecting a Collyer Brothers Condition rather than anything more sinister. Sorry, I saw the The Dazzle, by Richard Greenberg not too long ago. )

[.....}

Perhaps the same could be done here. Your friend could devise a room inside the entranceway to her apartment, large enough to provide the nurse room to work but still providing her the privacy she needs.

Joe(high seas, love her but she's wayayayay off)Nation

At last, a rational explanation for the bizarre configuration as originally presented! Not a danger to public health, as it originally sounded. Nice to see you, Joe, and Kicky, and of course Noddy as well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:13 am
I think it sounded like a danger to public health to exactly one person.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:25 pm
sozobe wrote:
I think it sounded like a danger to public health to exactly one person.

And never to anyone remotely rational.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:03 pm
Roberta - I sent you a p.m.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:19 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
The thing that worries me most about this situation, besides Roberta investing too much of her own energies into it, is that her friend will delay or avoid treatment rather than allow someone into her apartment.

This is what she and I have been discussing so heatedly, as I've mentioned in previous posts. And this is why I'm putting in all the time and effort to help her.

You're an astute guy, Joe. And I will pass along your suggestion.

ehBeth, PM received. Thanks.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:58 am
Roberta wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
The thing that worries me most about this situation, besides Roberta investing too much of her own energies into it, is that her friend will delay or avoid treatment rather than allow someone into her apartment.

This is what she and I have been discussing so heatedly, as I've mentioned in previous posts. And this is why I'm putting in all the time and effort to help her.

You're an astute guy, Joe. And I will pass along your suggestion.

ehBeth, PM received. Thanks.

Joe is indeed an astute guy; and a gentleman. The latter probably causes his silence on the reasonable presumption of a causal link between detritus in that apartment and the unusual infection itself.

The NY Board of Health provides free anonymous laboratory testing - in case anybody here worries about reinfection in the same patient, or new infections in visitors, if any, and neighbors - and claims of "remote rationality" (in one case here, very remote indeed) hardly constitute an excuse for inaction.
0 Replies