Need Help for a Friend--A Room in NYC

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:47 pm
My friend has been hospitalized after a trip to the ER revealed a strange infection (not contagious), but the cause of great interest in the hospital. She'll be released in a day or two. She's been told that she will need a visiting nurse to administer IV fluids (antibiotics) for about two months--at first on a daily basis. My friend has an apartment in Manhattan but doesn't want the nurse to come there (for her own reasons), and so she would like to reside elsewhere until the treatments are completed.

I checked online and managed to find a site that lists rooms for rent. However, I don't know much about the site, and my friend must get to a computer to access it. I also tried to find a residential hotel that is not too expensive. I know they exist. I just couldn't find any.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Know of a residential hotel (or how I can find one), know someone who's looking to rent a room, know someone who will be out of town for a while and would like an apartment sitter? I'm open to suggestions.

Limitations: Must be Manhattan. Can't be a walk up. Not too expensive. Kitchen privileges required.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Couldn't figure out where it would be appropriate.

BTW, This friend has gone out of her way for me many times. I'd like to be able to help her. (I invited her to stay with me; that won't work for a number of reasons.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,216 • Replies: 68
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:55 pm
I hope your friend finds a place to stay ... & quickly!

Good luck & fingers crossed from a far-away friend! Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:55 pm
msolga wrote:
I hope your friend finds a place to stay ... & quickly!

Good luck & fingers crossed from a far-away friend! Smile

Thanks, friend.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:58 pm
You're out of my league now. I'll admit to not getting the problem - with the machinations. But, I'm not from NY.

Wishing you luck.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:02 am
ossobuco wrote:
You're out of my league now. I'll admit to not getting the problem - with the machinations. But, I'm not from NY.

Wishing you luck.

Thanks for the good luck wish, kid.

There are plenty of people looking for roommates on a long-term basis. Not nearly as many possibilities for just a temporary room rental. Fact is I don't necessarily go along with what she wants to do. (We discussed this.) But bottom line is I want to help her. If this is what she wants. then I want to help her get it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:16 am
Robbie, take care of yourself, please.

Since you are concerned, I know this other person matters.

Make calls as you can.

My key concern is you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:23 am
ossobuco wrote:

My key concern is you.

Yes, yes, absolutely!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 01:05 am
You guys are da best. Thanks.

I have a computer; she doesn't. All I'm doing is poking around online trying to find information for her. I won't be schlepping around looking for places. I'm just doing a bit of investigation while she's in the hospital. And I'll use my computer if it will help her. That doesn't seem like much to me.
I wish I could do more for her. Trust me when I tell you that this person has done more for me than I could ever have expected or imagined. I'm doing what I can for her--and it ain't that much.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 01:17 am
I can understand that, Roberta. That's what friends do for friends.

Just don't wear yourself out, OK? Under any circumstances, ya got it? Or else! :wink:

Just want to get my message out, loud & clear here. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 03:26 am
Roberta wrote:

I have a computer; she doesn't. All I'm doing is poking around online trying to find information for her. I won't be schlepping around looking for places. I'm just doing a bit of investigation while she's in the hospital. And I'll use my computer if it will help her. That doesn't seem like much to me.
I wish I could do more for her. Trust me when I tell you that this person has done more for me than I could ever have expected or imagined. I'm doing what I can for her--and it ain't that much.

Boida...sometimes hospitals have, or know of, cheap accommodation for people who are from out of town.

Often hospital social welfare departments can help with this.

Perhaps try calling social work aides in the hospital, and see what they mightknow about?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 04:38 am
dlowan wrote:
Roberta wrote:

Boida...sometimes hospitals have, or know of, cheap accommodation for people who are from out of town.

Often hospital social welfare departments can help with this.

Perhaps try calling social work aides in the hospital, and see what they mightknow about?

She has a social worker assigned to her in the hospital. I'll mention it to my friend. The thing is she's not from out of town, so I don't know if the circumstances warrant this kind of help. It can't hurt for her to ask.

Thanks for the suggestion, Deb.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:24 am
This is going to sound unkind, but your friend needs to get over whatever it is that is preventing the use of her own place, have the nurse do the IV drip and get on with life.

Joe(meanwhile, you couldn't have been anymore supportive)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:41 am
Joe Nation wrote:
This is going to sound unkind, but your friend needs to get over whatever it is that is preventing the use of her own place, have the nurse do the IV drip and get on with life.

Joe(meanwhile, you couldn't have been anymore supportive)Nation

She and I already had this discussion, Joe. I lost. That's why I'm trying to help.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 05:49 am
So what happened?

Joe
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 05:52 am
She talked to the social worker she's been assigned at the hospital. The social worker is looking into it.

I brung up the subject again on Monday. She made it clear it's not open for discussion. I'm not gonna mention it again. I'll just do what I can to help her. Some people is just meshuga.

Thanks for asking. You're a good Joe, Joe.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 06:44 am
Try craigslist.org.

If she's got the money to say "not at my place", she can afford anything there (though there's quite a bit of affordable stuff there).

Click on New York City (from the U.S. cities list on the right side of the page) and then look in the top middle section for "housing". Then select from the options - vacation rentals maybe.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/hhh/ (hoping the link works)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 06:46 am
ha!

the link works, but it's easier to read the listings going in this way

http://newyork.craigslist.org/

Quote:

housing (92098)
apts / housing rooms / shared sublets / temporary housing wanted housing swap vacation rentals parking / storage office / commercial real estate for sale

You can also break it down by area if you select from the top of the page.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 07:06 am
ehBeth. Been to craigslist already. But you're a trooper to go to the trouble. I'm grateful. I actually found a site that deals exclusively with rooms to rent. I gave her the link. No, she doesn't have a lot of money. This is a strange situation, I grant you.

But despite her idiosyncracies, this is a good, generous, kind person who was at my side when I woke up from surgery and yelled at the people in the recovery room because I was in pain and they weren't paying attention to me. This is the person who lent me money for various emergencies, including cashing in a bond. This is the person who goes with me to doctors, hospitals. Who did my laundry and shopping when I was too weak to do it for myself. The person who slept on my grungy old couch when I came home from the hospital so that I wouldn't be alone. Nuts, yes. But good, a bigger yes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 11:56 am
I'm sure the hospital social worker's a bit puzzled.

Your friend wouldn't happen to be a member of one of the Mariner's Unions, would she? She'd be able to get a great price at the Seafarer's Mission at Union Square. Actually, it might not be a bad idea to contact them - they really are an active mission and might give her the discount even if she's not a mariner.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:33 pm
Did you try sublet.com? I used it once, and, although I didn't find my place through it, I met some people through their listings, and found that it was for real, at least, and not a scam. There is a fee, though I can't remember how much.
0 Replies