Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:09 pm
This article is an eye-opener for me, verrrrry interesting, especially re MRSA staphylococcus infections -

LINK TO BBC NEWS ARTICLE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,928 • Replies: 29
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:15 pm
I knew it was cool, but not that cool!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:15 pm
I've heard about this.

But it's so STICKY.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:27 pm
i remember my dad - who was a medic at the end of WW I - telling me about it .
he also said that they used sugar for wound-healing , but don't know anything about it .
hbg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:32 pm
http://www.abc.net.au/quantum/stories/s137755.htm

quote from the above
Quote:
The inactive honeys are the commercial varieties that have been heated to make them more runny. Heating seems to destroy their ability to kill bacteria.

Of the various raw honeys tested one local variety has proved especially potent. It's called jelly bush honey and it comes from a single species of native waxflower tree.

Another interesting link
http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/people.shtml
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:33 pm
just found this on www.pubmed.gov - really surprised me .
i guess my dad knew what they were doing !
hbg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use of sugar and povidone-iodine to enhance wound healing: five year's experience.

Knutson RA, Merbitz LA, Creekmore MA, Snipes HG.

Over a 56-month period (January 1976 to August 1980), we treated 605 patients for wounds, burns, and ulcers with granulated sugar and povidone-iodine. Rapid healing ensued, due to a reduction in bacterial contamination, rapid debridement of eschar, probable nourishment of surface cells, filling of defects with granulation tissue, and covering of granulation tissue with epithelium. The requirements for skin grafting and antibiotics were greatly reduced, as were hospital costs for wound, burn, and ulcer care.

source :
SUGAR AND WOUND HEALING
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:50 pm
When I was looking for that link I pulled another article which went on and on about foot fungus and honey, something involving slathering one's foot with honey and putting a sock on it overnight.... alas, I didn't save that link.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:57 pm
foot fungus and honey !

last year one of my pool-buddies suffered quite badly from foot fungus - doctor tried all kinds of ointments and pills to to avail .
someone told him about the honey treatment . he didn't believe it would help , but he was so desparate that he thought he couldn't loose anything by trying it ... it cured his foot-fungus within a week !
he said that his feet became soft as a baby's feet and he continues to use it - sparingly .
so , i guess there is something to it .
hbg
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:00 pm
Seems right that honey should have antimicrobial properties. Them bees ain't got no refrigeration.

Gotta say I'm a little skepctical about granulated sugar, though.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:07 pm
there are a fair number of medical references in google reporting on the successful use of sugar and iodine in wound healing , especially necrotis .
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:08 pm
I guess all honey (except the heated commercial varieties) has some antimicrobial activity, but those two - in New Zealand the manuka bush and in Australia the jellybush - were the best..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:10 pm
I'm wondering, even commercial honey... have you ever seen it get moldy?
<thinking>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:19 pm
Never seen honey get moldy - even the commercial kind.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:36 pm
V. cool.

Mixture of sugar and povidone--iodine stimulates wound healing by activating keratinocytes and fibroblast functions.

Bath in PI and sugar, coat with honey, pack with peat moss, and we should be all set, right?

Thanks, hbg.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:42 pm
University Dept. of Surgery, K. T. Udoh, University Teaching Hospital, Calabar, Nigeria

Received: 18 June 1991 Accepted: 28 January 1992
Summary The antimicrobial spectrum of honey was investigated by placing two drops into each of the wells made on culture media on which pure cultures of various organisms obtained from surgical specimens were grown. The organisms were grown under both aerobic and anaerobic environments. Fungal cultures of common fungi causing surgical infections or wound contaminations were mixed with 100%, 50% and 20% unprocessed honey. Growth inhibition was complete in the media containing 100%, partial in media containing 50% and no inhibition was produced by 20% honey. Unprocessed honey inhibited most of the fungi and bacteria causing wound infection and surgical infection exceptPseudomonas aeruginosa andClostridium oedematiens. Apart fromStreptococcus pyogenes which is only moderately inhibited, golden syrup, a sugar syrup with similar physical properties as honey, did not inhibit any of the bacteria or fungi tested, demonstrating that honey is superior to any hypertonic sugar solution in antimicrobial activity. Honey is thus an ideal topical wound dressing agent in surgical infections, burns and wound infections.

The antimicrobial spectrum of honey and its clinical significance

A controlled model of moist wound healing: comparison between semi-permeable film, antiseptics and sugar paste.

An established wound model in the pig has been modified using a Stomahesive ring to enable study of the effects of fluids used in wound care. Full thickness wounds (up to 9 mm deep) were treated with the substances under test. Each application was held in place with a Stomahesive flange, the inner part of which had been excised as far as the hard plastic ring. All dressings were then covered with OpSite which allowed gaseous exchange whilst retaining treatment fluids and secretions. Wounds were treated immediately and at 2 and 4 days. The experiment was terminated after 7 days and the whole wound, with dressing, was excised for histological examination. The wounds covered with OpSite alone and those treated with sugar paste under Opsite were found to be infilled with granulation tissue over which epidermal migration was taking place. Those wounds which had been packed with gauze, to which had been added one of the following: chlorhexidine gluconate 0.2%, Irgasan 0.2%, povidone iodine 0.8% or EUSOL half-strength, showed delayed healing in that less infilling had taken place over the same time period. This delay could be attributed to the nature of the chemicals used and/or the influence of gauze packing. This delay in the healing of wounds treated with chemical agents was least with EUSOL half-strength and greatest with chlorhexidine. No toxic effects were observed with sugar paste which may be preferable to antiseptics for the management of dirty or infected wounds.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:53 pm
quite fascinating imo !
hbg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:57 pm
On sugar
A US patent
Wound-healing compositions containing povidone-iodine Richard A. Knutson

I am unable to copy this artical. Your attention is drawn to Background Art second parra.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:03 pm
Well, I'm wrong, I'm sure, in my throwaway line about commercial honey. Now I'm wondering about raw honey; given it's antimicrobial trait, would it affect the normal digestive tract bacterial flora? Somehow I can't see it affecting it badly...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:03 pm
Damn it, Pseudomonas really is resistant to everything.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:13 pm
Important note on Sugar dressing
The Pharmaceutical Journal Vol 263 No 7075 p948

Quote:
A disadvantage of the paste used at Northwick Park hospital by Middleton and Seal7 is that, in some wounds, hypergranulation (excessive flesh) occurs. I discovered that the presence of povidone prevented this.8
0 Replies