CowDoc

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:18 pm
Humans have known for many decades that honey is the only known foodstuff that does not spoil. It's just that no one yet knows exactly why.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:19 pm
If you listen to baby gurus, you learn not to feed honey to babies because it can form botchulism (sp?) in their intestines. Why is that if the stuff won't decay on it's own?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:23 pm
That's one I hadn't heard, littlek
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:24 pm
I suppose it could just be an 'old wives' tale'.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:25 pm
Here's something from kidshealth.org

Quote:
I've heard that I shouldn't feed my baby honey. Is this true?
- Kathy

Yes. Honey should not be fed to infants younger than 1 year old. Clostridium bacteria that cause infant botulism usually thrive in soil and dust. However, they can also contaminate certain foods - honey in particular. Infant botulism occurs in children 6 months of age or younger and can cause muscle weakness, with signs like poor sucking, a weak cry, constipation, and an overall decreased muscle tone (floppiness). Parents can reduce the risk of infant botulism by not introducing honey into their child's diet until after the first birthday.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:16 am
The causative agent of botulism -- Clostridium botulinum -- is a spore former. When it encounters adverse circumstances (like oxygen -- it's an anaerobe), it condenses and dehydrates its DNA and just enough cytoplasmic material to remain viable into a hard, dry little nugget inside the cell. Bacillus anthracis (anthrax) does this as well.

The spores are completely metabolically inactive -- so antimicrobial stuff that interferes with their metabolism can't hurt them -- and contain virtually no water -- so antimicrobial stuff that has to be absorbed into the bacterial cell can't hurt them.

Pressure cooking does do them in, but sloppy technique can let a few slip through -- which is why you never eat from a can or jar that has a high pressure inside. There's a good chance in those instances that clostridial spores have "come back to life" post-canning, multiplied, and elaborated their toxin into the food.

As to honey and babies in particular (from howstuffworks)...
Quote:
Babies get botulism from honey in a different way. Bees naturally collect botulism spores as they are collecting nectar and mix them into the honey. Most people can eat these spores without difficulty because we have bacteria in our intestines and robust immune systems that eliminate the spores. Infants do not yet have these defenses. So when a baby eats honey, the spores find themselves in the oxygen-free intestine and come to life. They produce the toxin while inside the baby.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:17 am
Thanks, Pdog!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:21 pm
...and it tastes good too! Got some Manuka honey from NZ as a gift and really liked it. Saw it here in a health food store and the price nearly floored me. Maybe I can get a prescription for it...
0 Replies

Stellz

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:47 am
This treatment was used in 1971 for an elderly patient with a large, deep bedsore in her sacro iliac back area. It had gone gangrenous. Thick Vaseline was applied around the edges on the healthy skin (to protect it) then the hole was filled with a dressing steeped in EUSOL. This was changed regularly until eventually, over time, all the dead, black flesh was burnt away. When every scrap of black flesh was gone a thick paste of white granulated sugar and sterile water was put into the hole and a sterile dressing placed on top. This was changed regularly and each time the sugar paste had gone but was being replaced by new flesh. After several weeks treatment the hole was completely filled up and new skin grown over.
patiodog

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 09:42 pm
@Stellz,
Happy to see this thread bumped up. Since it initially occurred, I picked up the habit of dressing nasty infected wounds with granulated sugar and povidone iodine (from a Brazilian veterinary surgeon and then from my predecessor at the shelter), and it works beautifully (especially in conjunction with antibiotics and bandaging with aquaphor). Have had it work on a couple of limbs that other vets had written off as needing amputation.

The explanation I got from the Brazilian was that the sugar increases oxygen tension, which increases the rate of granulation tissue formation by encouraging capillary growth, in addition to forming a hypertonic environment that's hostile to bacterial growth (think fruit preserves). Or something like that. Anyway, it works.

Have thought about trying honey, but it's so damn messy and the sugar's been working just fine...
0 Replies