A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

Miller

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
Ice and snow everywhere.
farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:48 am
@Miller,
8 inches on Sunday and 6 inches on Tusday and now its jut cold.
We drove from Coastal Delaware to home at 35 mph yesterday. It was a pretty good snow . Lotsa dumass SUV drivers in ditches and flipped over.
SUV driving is an adaptive behavior and winter is the environment that constantly "screens out" those who need to be extinct
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 09:09 am

haven't been out yet, but it looks like we got (maybe) 4-5" of heavy wet snow.

today's goal --
clear and treat walkways and most of driveway before it all freezes over tonight...
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 10:38 am
@Region Philbis,
When I moved from New England and upstate NY area, to So FL..I learned a vital lesson. I never saw anyone having to shovel the heat off the sidewalk. the When I was living there that last massive ice storm I saw in Albany area in 2009 was one of the worst I ever experienced in my life. 250k people were without power in greater Albany.

I had power where I was because we had an aux generator where I lived and the farm had multiple cords of wood and good working wood stove. pretty as a picture but you couldn't go anywhere due top the impassibility of the roads (both primary and secondary) due to massive ice flows.

That's what it took to convince me. Were I a younger man I might have stayed but I was done with working outside of the home so the decision to move far and southern coastal came easily.

So when I moved here (0.5 miles from I-75) and those impending nasty hurricanes threaten, I'm on the road and heading inland for safer grounds.

I just miss seeing the pretty pics I get for my portfolio from ice and snow on the trees. And I wish safe travel to all my northern and Midwestern friends.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 10:43 am
about 20 cm of snow yesterday

not so bad ... except for the tiny new dog ... it is over her head and she has no experience with snow ... either she'll learn or we'll be carrying her on parts of our w.a.l.k.s.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 10:49 am
@ehBeth,
we had a total of 8" last Sunday , 6 inches Tuesday ,and only about 4 inches yesterday. Its neat having snow on the ground when last year we had practically none.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 10:49 am
@ehBeth,
8 inches?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 01:56 pm
Ow. Snow is now pretty much an ice pancake.
chai2

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 08:21 am
@jespah,
Having a little weather up there today, huh?
btw, it's 29 in Austin right now.....brrrr.

BOSTON (AP) — A blustery winter storm that dropped nearly 2 feet of snow just north of Boston, temporarily shut down major highways in New York and Pennsylvania and forced U.S. airlines to cancel thousands of flights nationwide menaced the Northeast on Friday with howling winds and dangerously cold temperatures.

Fierce winter storm bearing down on northeast US Associated Press
The storm — which brought plummeting temperatures that reached 8 degrees below zero in Burlington, Vt., early Friday with a wind chill of 29 below zero — dumped 23 inches of snow in Boxford, Mass., by early Friday and 18 inches in parts of western New York near Rochester. Thirteen inches of snow fell in Boston, while Lakewood, N.J., got 10 inches and New York City got up to 7.

The snowfall, frigid temps and stiff winds extended the holiday break for some students for a second day while posing the first test for New York City's new mayor and perhaps the last challenge for Boston's outgoing one.

U.S. airlines canceled more than 2,300 flights Thursday because of the snowfall and low visibility. By Friday morning, about 1,600 flights were canceled nationwide, according to the aviation tracking website
jespah

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 08:55 am
@chai2,
Ayup. It's freakin' cold here.

Oh, I see the temp just went up to 5. I'll have to take off my sweatshirt and fan myself.

We got, it looks like, around a foot o' snow. At maybe noon or so, when we can be sure it's all done, we're going out to do the basic shubblin'.

29 degrees sounds awesome right now.
chai2

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 09:01 am
@jespah,
When I lived outside of Milwaukee, I fervently prayed "God, if you get me out of here, I'll never complain about the cold again."

I remember all those sub-zero, high up to 9 or 10 degree days.

Sucks.

Stay safe jespah, linkat, roberta, and everyone else in the northeast.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 09:14 am
@chai2,
Ha I was watching the news this morning and they were kind enough to report that is now colder in the Boston area than it is in Fairbanks Alaska. Wonderful. Not to mention the near 2 feet of snow. We sent our snowblower to get a tuneup and it isn't back yet. We have a long driveway - shoveling in below 0 with wind chill is going to be fun.

I am working from home today.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 09:24 am

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1533785_10152850839235752_147275088_n.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 09:35 am
@farmerman,
we only got about 6 inches but its really bitterly cold (Its in single digits at 11AM).
Its also bowing so much I cant plow the snow on the lane, it just blows shut. I shoulda had the snowfences put up. I got lulled into a complacency based on last years "Tropical Winter"

Is the sunspot minimum starting a cold snap?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 09:46 am
Usually it seems to be due to diversion of the polar jet stream southward, which lets cold Arctic winds get down to us, rather than solar minima. More scientists are regarding global warming as atleast a proximate cause. The Arctic circle has the fastest rising temperatures, which melts the ice cap, which warms the Arctic Sea, which causes higher pressure there, which pushes the jet stream south, which freezes our asses down here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 09:49 am
Heh . . . it's been -20 for the last two days, but a warm spell is supposed to set in. It has already reached a scorching -19. It's said that it will reach a tropical -14 by this afternoon.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 10:32 am
In Toronto, they are reporting frost quakes. Apparently, as water in the soil freezes, it contracts, causing loud booms. I ain't heard none yet.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 11:35 am
@Linkat,
some guy was driving by looking to make cash snowblowing out people's driveways - we gladly gave him $40 - there had to be two feet of snow.
Miller

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 11:36 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

some guy was driving by looking to make cash snowblowing out people's driveways - we gladly gave him $40 - there had to be two feet of snow.

Where did this guy deposit his snow?
Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 11:41 am
@Miller,
In our yard - we have a huge yard with alot of room on either side - he simply had the blower set to blow all the snow into the either side of our driveway into the yard.
0 Replies