A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

Ragman

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 10:52 am
@jespah,
In the latest forecasts I'm hearing something different. There's a lot of uncertainty about this storm and how much snow it'll bring to the cities of Boston, Providence and along the coast. The converging weather patterns plus the split in the Jet Stream's steering influences make for the difficulty. I still wouldn't want to be living in north and west of Boston or out around and beyond the Rt 495 belt.

Seems Boston city might get 8 inches but could turn over to slush in the late afternoon. no telling what that means at night. The higher elevations (1000 ft) may get all snow.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 12:41 pm
@JPB,
oh my
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 01:56 pm
@Ragman,
That's what I'm seeing. We are allegedly in the 3-6" band but who knows.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 03:11 pm
@jespah,
60 degrees yesterday in VA. Snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow. The daffodils are confused.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 06:26 pm
@realjohnboy,
I think of them as daffy down dillies, a name from my childhood, not from my experience with plant material studies. Makes sense the weather would make them daffy.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
9 PM, snowing hard and sticking.
Between sudden temp changes and 16000 UVA students returning from hither and yon after spring break (and bringing flu-like symptoms with them), it seems everyone in town is in danger of catching colds. It happens every year.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 07:29 am
Ick. Stay healthy, John!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 10:59 am

there was at least 6" on the front walk this morning.
according to Bahstin.cahm, we are in the 8-10" boundary.
what a mess -- slush puddles at every corner...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 11:01 am
I will always remember this as the winter of weird snow. Earlier this morning, a snow was coming down in little balls, like hail, but it was snow. Very strange.
jespah

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 05:58 pm
@Setanta,
So far, Worcester, MA is the nation's snowiest city.
http://www.boston.com/2013/03/20/worcester-nation-snowiest-city-this-year/T7NqcNuQNvnaIJGYsKR2AM/story.html
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 06:19 pm

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/426421_562771410410905_993783899_n.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 06:55 pm
In NW New Mexico, I'm seeing goatheads sprouting. I used to expect them around the end of May.
Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 09:37 pm
@roger,
Is that anything like fiddlehead ferns?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlehead_fern
roger

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 09:43 pm
@Ragman,
No similarity whatsoever, except that they do present a small, low lying fern like appearance.

However, if you think they are edible or otherwise useful, I will stroll through their territory when they mature, pluck a few pounds of seed from the soles of my shoes and send them along. They should do well with your alligators, pythons, and who knows what.
Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 11:15 pm
@roger,
I had to look up goatheads out of curiosity:

"Some body builders use goatheads as post cycle therapy or "PCT". After they have completed an anabolic-steroid cycle, they use it under the assumption that it will restore the body's natural testosterone levels.

The extract is claimed to increase the body's natural testosterone levels and thereby improve male sexual performance and help build muscle."

The effect on male hormones has proven has been disproven in clinical studies.
roger

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 11:37 pm
@Ragman,
I don't know where you looked, but they are probably clueless on other subjects, as well. They are plants, not the part of a goat that has horns, though they look somewhat similar.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 06:53 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
In NW New Mexico, I'm seeing goatheads sprouting. I used to expect them around the end of May.

Thought you said goatherds.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 08:18 am
This so sux so bad that it is actually snowing here again...What are we one, two days from Spring? Awful...it really is...It does not really bother me, but I just hate being cold, and like to go outside...

I friggen can't wait for Spring then summer, and I am probably gonna think about decking anyone who has the gull to actually bitch about the heat when Summer comes...because it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much friggen better than this alternative now that it seems that global warming has given this area nothing but what seems like winter and summer now....
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 08:20 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Spring arrived at 7 a.m. yesterday!

and then it snowed some more

bahhhhhhhhhh yuck

the dogs like it

I think I'm over it for the year
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 08:58 am
It was explained to me once, years ago, that the four seasons in Canada are Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Construction.