A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 12:52 pm
@littlek,

desperately need a shot of global warming to reduce our 6' high piles before the next effing storm...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 01:27 pm
I simply can't pile snow much higher than chin height. I'm not tall enough.
jespah

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 03:47 pm
@littlek,
Just like the first year we lived here ('95), the piles are over m'head. We can get the car out, but the back is gonna be the work for the next few days. Why do the back? 'Cause we keep getting assaulted -- otherwise it would be far worse back there. Oof.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 04:05 pm
The winter of 2000-2001, there was so much snow in t.o., that i had to "re-shovel" it to throw it up higher than The Girl could do. The first time i drove up here after the thaw, i drove right past the house because i didn't recognize it.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 04:07 pm
@Setanta,
...and it was cold too. WHy it was so cold that e was a makin tea and the water froze so fast the ice was HOT.
yesser
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 04:43 pm
We're gonna get TWO INCHES overnight!!

Wow!

not.

I know it's perverse to be jealous of you guys but I am.
Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 04:52 pm
@sozobe,
I bet school is going be canceled...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 05:25 pm
@Setanta,

re-shoveling is like re-gifting, and should only be done on those rarest of occasions...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 06:48 pm
Just watched a video of a cousin's dad in Middleboro. He was on the roof of their house shoveling snow and decided to jump from the roof into a bank of snow he'd just plowed from the walkway. Ended up sinking into the snow up to his armpits and yelling for help to get out. Naturally, his daughter grabbed the cell phone and started taking video when he yelled for help.

Took him several efforts before he was able to rock back and forth to wear down the side of the bank low enough to allow him to climb out and roll down the bank and onto the walkway.

Daughter and neighbors laughed and cracked jokes at him the whole time while he struggled. He kept saying his butt was getting numb from the cold. When he finally stood up, the banks were up over his head.
sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 07:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
He kept saying his butt was getting numb from the cold.

Note to all of you shovelers, especially roof-shovelers, cold butts are funny but actually aren't trivial! My mom is a nurse and when she visited last told a decidedly unpleasant story about a guy who came in to her hospital with a frostbitten butt. People just don't think of that, but evidently it's not incredibly uncommon.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 08:33 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
I simply can't pile snow much higher than chin height. I'm not tall enough.

Well, if it's simply a question of height, I don't think we can expect anyone to pile snow much higher than their chin.

Our winter's been pretty trivial compared to some of the record years we've had recently. Have had a chance to get my "it-only-snowed-two-inches" shoveling technique down.
patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 08:45 pm
@patiodog,
Wow, I take it back. Only one year in the last 4 was a record (2008-09, at 101.4"). The next year was only the 6th highest total on record here at 72.0". Interestingly, I'm realizing that my for my first 5 years, in Madison, the seasonal snowfall increased every year. Every year for that stretch I was hating the shoveling more, but I had no idea that there was a good reason for it!
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 03:50 am
You think that you've got it bad?

Spare a thought for us in the UK. It was so cold last night that I fell out of bed and cracked my pyjamas!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 04:42 am
@patiodog,
Quote:
I don't think we can expect anyone to pile snow much higher than their chin.
we've had to resort to doing just that in the front, near the driveway.
hoping our fairly new vinyl fence won't buckle...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 05:02 am
I've piled it up higher than my chin. A few years ago, after being snow-less through November and December, and only a few inches in January, in February we got nearly seven feet of snow. I'm not seven feet tall. I would just throw the snow up as high as i could, and be resigned to half the shovel-full rolling back down to be thrown up again.
jespah

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 05:29 am
@Setanta,
Yep. RP made a cut-out in the piles closer to the house, so I've been leaning in there and throwing stuff that way. I think about a third of it is actually ending up under the porch. That was for the pathway to the car, the front of the car and the stuff on top of it. Now for the driveway behind the car (which is huge), I will continue to pile stuff on the neighbor's side (there's no walkway there, so it's fine) but that stuff is beginning to get higher than their fence.

A few more inches and we really will be staring down the "where do we put it all?" question. Can we mail any of it away?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 05:32 am
@Setanta,
Posts like this make me count my blessings. Here in Houston, it will be a balmy 70 degrees today, with a sky that is clear. Our biggest worry is that this coming Thursday, it may reach 25 degrees, with a chance of light sleet or snow. Of course we pay for these mild winters with a harsh summer -
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 05:33 am
It's been snowing off and on since yesterday afternoon--it it were warmer, it would be misty rain. You keep yours, and we'll keep ours.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 06:00 am
@Setanta,
At least let me give you a hand with some of that snow.
clap clap clap clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 06:08 am
Not funny, McGee . . .
0 Replies